Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

paraspam posted:

Is anything ever going to be done about trading? Spamming trade chat is actually quite boring! And my level 54 ranger has had bad luck with drops for the past 10 levels so I'm stuck until I get more resistances at the very least.

In my opinion, the inconveniences of trade chat are preferable to the rapid gear acceleration that an AH produces. I really, really hope they don't listen to the community on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

melon farmer posted:

In my opinion, the inconveniences of trade chat are preferable to the rapid gear acceleration that an AH produces. I really, really hope they don't listen to the community on this one.

Yeah I completely agree. It is very unintuitive to think that making something difficult to do actually makes the game better as a whole, but I honestly believe that the difficulty of trading and gearing up is part of what gives the game the pacing that it has. If we learned anything from D3, it should be that making gear too accessible can ruin a loot-based game. Of course, one of the commonly cited differences between D3 and PoE is that PoE uses consumables as currency instead of gold. But I'm not convinced that this difference is sufficient to prevent an AH-style marketplace from undermining the game.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Mr.Kite posted:

Yeah I completely agree. It is very unintuitive to think that making something difficult to do actually makes the game better as a whole, but I honestly believe that the difficulty of trading and gearing up is part of what gives the game the pacing that it has. If we learned anything from D3, it should be that making gear too accessible can ruin a loot-based game. Of course, one of the commonly cited differences between D3 and PoE is that PoE uses consumables as currency instead of gold. But I'm not convinced that this difference is sufficient to prevent an AH-style marketplace from undermining the game.

The problem with gold in Diablo, and in part (in my opinion) part of the problem with D3's AH, is how easy it was to acquire. I by no means believe that PoE should have an auction house, but I could run inferno butcher in D3 and get like 100k+ gold easily. There was a reason D2's playerbase eventually made the switch to "how many SoJs for that?" and I'm sure D3 would have ended up doing that if it had lasted.

The switch to a consumable based currency would help alleviate some of the stress of inflation, but I definitely agree that an AH is not the direction to go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the best possible trade compromise would be to have an in-game trading board that works like the notice board in all of the encampments. Just let people post what they're buying or selling, have a decent search function, and make it easy to send a private message to the seller/buyer and we're set. It'd solve the problem of the annoying trade chat while dodging the problems that an auction house would introduce.

papanugget
Aug 8, 2000
Got an email this morning from GGG saying my account was hacked from China. Nothing was missing from my stash or characters so I'm thankful they're keeping on top of account security. If any of you guys have simple passwords you should consider changing them. I had a 6 character password composed of letters (mixed caase) and numbers but apparently that wasn't enough. :/

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
They are going to be implementing trading via the official forums. You can have a "store front" and people can trade directly from that without ever having to log in to the game.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mr.Kite posted:

If you are running just one character, right now you're gonna be overflowing in currency to purchase the Best In Slot items you need.

Does anyone have a good dual ranged totem build? I keep seeing people talk about iceshot but I can't find any videos of it in action. Want to try a quirky build for a change.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Someone offered me 350 euros for my mirror of kalandra as a direct bank transfer, up front too. I turned it down for some reason.

The biggest problem I have with the game right now is the horrible framerate when grouping with other people. Lightning effects kill my gpu to the point where I'm afraid it will catch fire. Maps with burning ground combined with summons and lightning almost lock up the whole computer.
All other games run fine on high or medium without a problem, bf3 and witcher 2 included.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Stupid question, but what does "Gems in this Item are Supported by Level 15" mean?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Leviathor posted:

Stupid question, but what does "Gems in this Item are Supported by Level 15" mean?

Skill gems in that item are supported by a level 15 version of the listed support gem. If it were level 15 Mana Leech, it'd give all the effects as if you had a level 15 Mana Leech in the link even though you don't.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Leviathor posted:

There's more to that line that what you quoted. For example, The Covenant unique chest armor has "Gems in this Item are Supported by Level 15 Added Chaos Damage" which means any skill gem you have in it is linked to an imaginary level 15 Added Chaos Damage support gem. And any skill gems you have socketed in a Marohi Erqi unique maul are supported by a level 15 Increased Are of Effect support gem.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

sentrygun posted:

Skill gems in that item are supported by a level 15 version of the listed support gem. If it were level 15 Mana Leech, it'd give all the effects as if you had a level 15 Mana Leech in the link even though you don't.

Suprfli6 posted:

There's more to that line that what you quoted. For example, The Covenant unique chest armor has "Gems in this Item are Supported by Level 15 Added Chaos Damage" which means any skill gem you have in it is linked to an imaginary level 15 Added Chaos Damage support gem. And any skill gems you have socketed in a Marohi Erqi unique maul are supported by a level 15 Increased Are of Effect support gem.

Ah, thanks a lot. I missed that there wasn't a bullet point on that line of the item description. That makes much more sense.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Peppi posted:

Someone offered me 350 euros for my mirror of kalandra as a direct bank transfer, up front too. I turned it down for some reason.

The biggest problem I have with the game right now is the horrible framerate when grouping with other people. Lightning effects kill my gpu to the point where I'm afraid it will catch fire. Maps with burning ground combined with summons and lightning almost lock up the whole computer.
All other games run fine on high or medium without a problem, bf3 and witcher 2 included.

I have 2 friends who run fireball witches with GMP and fork and use skeleton totems. When I'm with them I usually have to split off and clear another part of the map because the screen is so full of flying fireballs around them. So far the only time I've had any framerate problems was when they start unloading on things.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's the best place to farm if I'm in A3 Cruel and slightly overleveled? I was farming Docks for a bit, but now I'm level 53 [Docks is level 50] and I guess there's now an experience penalty/item penalty if I want to continue farming the Docks?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

papanugget posted:

Got an email this morning from GGG saying my account was hacked from China. Nothing was missing from my stash or characters so I'm thankful they're keeping on top of account security. If any of you guys have simple passwords you should consider changing them. I had a 6 character password composed of letters (mixed caase) and numbers but apparently that wasn't enough. :/

Has GGG said anything about two-step authentication? My password is fancier but still. I've seen other F2P games that will at least have a graphical pin number so you're keylogger-proof.

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?
Is there a decent way to farm for maps? I cleared 5 maps over the weekend, all with 30%+ item quantity and an item quantity gem connected to my main attack. I had 2 maps drop from the 5 I ran and none from ~15ish dock runs. After this I joined a pubbie dock farming group for the +item quantity bonus and did 5 runs. There were 6 people in the group the whole time and not a single map dropped. At least I got a Divine Orb out of this, but still, getting maps to drop is kind of ridiculous at this point.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

CerebralDonut posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's the best place to farm if I'm in A3 Cruel and slightly overleveled? I was farming Docks for a bit, but now I'm level 53 [Docks is level 50] and I guess there's now an experience penalty/item penalty if I want to continue farming the Docks?

You'll continue to get full experience until level 56, but you get a 2.5*((your level-area level)-2) penalty to drop rate (I think it only affects currency drops).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The Broletariat posted:

Is there a decent way to farm for maps? I cleared 5 maps over the weekend, all with 30%+ item quantity and an item quantity gem connected to my main attack. I had 2 maps drop from the 5 I ran and none from ~15ish dock runs. After this I joined a pubbie dock farming group for the +item quantity bonus and did 5 runs. There were 6 people in the group the whole time and not a single map dropped. At least I got a Divine Orb out of this, but still, getting maps to drop is kind of ridiculous at this point.
Map quantity effects map drop rate.

Quantity from grouping and player bonuses doesn't.

There's no real way besides rolling maps to have decent mods for getting more maps. In week long races it's actually better to have your party split up and solo in areas that can drop maps.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 25, 2013

Protagoras
May 9, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

You'll continue to get full experience until level 56, but you get a 2.5*((your level-area level)-2) penalty to drop rate ( I think it only affects currency drops ).

You are correct.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
By the way I just have to mention how insane Facebreaker builds are. I was underwhelmed until I realized that the 1-4 added damage from an iron ring gets multiplied into ~50 freaking DPS and now I'm one-shotting rare monsters. I have a rare quiver that gives me a giant accuracy and dex bonus with 10% attack so I'm just savaging everything.

I don't think I'm even going to need the no-miss or Blood Magic keystones. Should I just go get Vaal Pact and take every life node in the vicinity? I hit so drat hard that I'd probably be invincible with Frenzy and Attack Speed Support. Does life leech include the overkill or just the amount of life I punch out of the monster?

papanugget
Aug 8, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

Has GGG said anything about two-step authentication? My password is fancier but still. I've seen other F2P games that will at least have a graphical pin number so you're keylogger-proof.

Not that I've heard of.

Zero VGS posted:

By the way I just have to mention how insane Facebreaker builds are. I was underwhelmed until I realized that the 1-4 added damage from an iron ring gets multiplied into ~50 freaking DPS and now I'm one-shotting rare monsters. I have a rare quiver that gives me a giant accuracy and dex bonus with 10% attack so I'm just savaging everything.

I don't think I'm even going to need the no-miss or Blood Magic keystones. Should I just go get Vaal Pact and take every life node in the vicinity? I hit so drat hard that I'd probably be invincible with Frenzy and Attack Speed Support. Does life leech include the overkill or just the amount of life I punch out of the monster?

I thought they were going to make it so quiver stats would only be effective if used in conjunction with a bow. At least that's what it sounded like when they highlighted a Facebreaker build in one of their build of the week videos.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Welp, now I need to get a facebreaker for my next character.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
The only downside is that Facebreaker builds share the same unique item selection with EK builds, so a lot of the core uniques they need later on to stay effective are super expensive. :( I'm still sitting on a 999% Facebreaker in case I manage to get a set together.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
How hard is it to get a Facebreaker for someone totally new to the game? Punching stuff to death sounds awesome.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Aranan posted:

How hard is it to get a Facebreaker for someone totally new to the game? Punching stuff to death sounds awesome.

Either borrow one from someone really nice and trusting or play until you get a few nice pieces of currency and trade them up for it. Between everyone being convinced that there's some sort of voodoo that feeds big ticket items to new characters and just the sheer number of Chaos Orbs (one of the bigger bits of currency that isn't unreasonably rare to find) that I found on my first character in my own experience, it shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of enough to trade up for one. Only way to get currency is to play though, and you'll learn a lot on your first character.

Starting out with one is pretty unlikely though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

papanugget posted:

I thought they were going to make it so quiver stats would only be effective if used in conjunction with a bow. At least that's what it sounded like when they highlighted a Facebreaker build in one of their build of the week videos.

Yeah, but that video was from exactly six months ago, and quivers absolutely still work today. Their nerf was in the form of making anything with the word "Weapon" not count for Unarmed. No one-handed weapon or elemental weapon damage will apply anymore. Plus my guy could still ruin fine without a quiver; he could use a nice shield like my Crest of Perandus's 3% Life Leech, and there's one with 20% Increased Physical Damage, which I *think* is multiplicative with Facebreaker's increase.

Aranan posted:

Mine has ~900% increased physical damage instead of the max 1000%, I snagged it in trade chat for 3 Chaos Orbs. The max spec ones go for over an Exalted, possibly because they are used in PVP. But I more than one-shot 95% of my targets so who cares if it's 10% gimped for 90% less money. 3 Chaos Orbs will take you 6-12 hours to get; a full unidentified set of rares will vendor for 2 chaos orbs and you can get the rare ammy/rings/belt from just ordinary quest rewards.

Punching stuff is indeed awesome, I'm not sure I can go back to anything else. There's only two skills that work with unarmed right now, they are Frenzy (think thousand fists Monk style) and Infernal Blow (enemies exploding into a flaming fountain of AoE gore, Fist of the North Star style). I wouldn't mind Flicker Strike being made unarmed compatible for some :ssj: teleport-punching.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Could you post your facebreaker build? Mine seems to alternate between destroying things easily and suddenly dying. Though the desyncs might have a bit to do with that.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
I think I like the two hour races the most. The party one just now was pretty fun with just freeborn and I running duo. We ended up hitting level 25 after a slow act 1. We got pretty close to placing in the class points #27 and #21 in our classes.

There's another two hour party race tonight. I'd like to find some people to make a full group. If anyone is interested, hop on IRC before the race (10pm est, 3.5 hours from now) and get a hold of me, or in game same name as SA. I'll probably be running my templar again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't taken it past 30 yet but I only have the single 12% Melee node at the beginning of Marauder and the rest is all HP/Resist and Life Leech type stuff. Basically you can go almost all defensive and you should be able to keep up the obscene DPS because there are rings and quivers that add a scaling base damage:

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Item_Affix#Base_Physical_Damage

If you keep nabbing iron rings and such with those increasing base damage modifiers you can keep your DPS through the roof.

Riftling posted:

The only downside is that Facebreaker builds share the same unique item selection with EK builds, so a lot of the core uniques they need later on to stay effective are super expensive. :( I'm still sitting on a 999% Facebreaker in case I manage to get a set together.

Is that so? That's actually good news for me. I have about 30 chaos orbs (mainly due to an Exalted drop on a level 5 alt) and I was thinking of blowing them on Meginord's Girdle (you see me asking in the thread yesterday about it yesterday) and I was a little scared that the item might lose it's value if Facebreaker is eventually gimped. I doubt it but it's putting all the money I have on one item. But if that belt is coveted for a bunch of other stuff I'd feel better about it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 26, 2013

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Vizrt posted:

I think I like the two hour races the most. The party one just now was pretty fun with just freeborn and I running duo. We ended up hitting level 25 after a slow act 1. We got pretty close to placing in the class points #27 and #21 in our classes.

There's another two hour party race tonight. I'd like to find some people to make a full group. If anyone is interested, hop on IRC before the race (10pm est, 3.5 hours from now) and get a hold of me, or in game same name as SA. I'll probably be running my templar again.

I'd be interested. Can you teach me how not to be a slow-rear end? :p

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Shinino Kage posted:

I'd be interested. Can you teach me how not to be a slow-rear end? :p

I was going to do some practice runs up to Brutus and maybe Merv to get better at templar. If you want to join me, just hop on IRC to coordinate. I'll probably be starting in around 45 mins or so. That goes for anyone that's interested in practicing act 1 as group or for the 2h race tonight

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
I would, but I don't get home until about 8:30 Eastern.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I just bought a 994% 4 socket 3 link Facebreaker (ilvl 68) for 5 chaos, was that a good deal? I know nothing about facebreaker builds, can anyone enlighten me? I'm guessing that any skill which says "attacks with a melee weapon" won't work.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Signed up for closed beta, finally got around to playing today and burned 4 hours like it was nothing. I'm going really slow but enjoying it, basically trying to kill every monster everywhere which is probably incredibly inefficient but whatever I'm having fun! I just have to pick up all those stupid lovely blues :(, finally realized I shouldn't be IDing almost all of them. Is there a big price drop selling IDed vs unIDed things?

I went ranger and am basically just using skill points for anything bow related. I'd rather figure things out for myself, it'll be the first game in a while that I haven't gone looking for optimal builds online. Is this going to gimp me pretty badly? I'll probably quit after 30-40 hours of play, so I'd rather just have the most fun I can now

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is there a big price drop selling IDed vs unIDed things?

Un-ID'd blues give 2 transmutation shards, ID'd blues give a variable amount of alteration shards depending on the modifiers on the item. Bad modifiers aren't worth any, so stuff like thorns can lead to an ID'd blue giving you a paper scrap instead of any shards.

Rares use the same alteration shards deal, but give 5 transmutation shards if sold.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I just bought a 994% 4 socket 3 link Facebreaker (ilvl 68) for 5 chaos, was that a good deal? I know nothing about facebreaker builds, can anyone enlighten me? I'm guessing that any skill which says "attacks with a melee weapon" won't work.

Considering I've been scoffed at for my offer of 1 GCP for a 930% with two sockets, I would say yes. But I also don't know if this is the norm of the dude was just being a jackass.

To my understanding flat, non-weapon specific damage nodes (like the ones at the start of the Marauder/Templar/Duelist) are the only ones that apply. Additionally, stuff that adds +physical damage scales extremely well.

Every build that I've cooked up with just takes every +life, +resistance and +armor node that I can find.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I sure would love to be able to purchase gem pages in the store that allow a listing of gems. I.e. you throw gems into a tab, but you can see a list of all the gems, the number, and qualities. As it stands right now, I've got a tab each for blues, greens, and reds. It's terrible to sort through.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Man, even with 2 Cold Resist 28% rings, Merveil still wiped the floor with my Ice-Crit Shadow. I really don't want to group up to take her down, so anyone got any ideas on how to make that fight a bit smoother? I could post my build if that would help.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Is it just the nature of elemental ranger builds that you pretty much have to go through a bunch of boring +10 stat nodes to get them to work? I've seen some that traverse the entire outside perimeter of the passive tree clockwise from the ranger area over to static blows. Wouldn't it be just as effective, if not better, to get the meatier nodes nearby and then jump up quickly into the shadow area to get elemental stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Most builds have to use quite a few +10 stat nodes to get what they want. Static blows is really common in elemental bow builds because it lets you greatly increase your damage for a minimum investment of passive points. Additionally, it puts you near the amazing +10/10/30% weapon elemental damage nodes in the templar tree. The shadow area is only good if you intend to go for a more crit based build, which will require accuracy, whereas going to the left side of the tree lets you grab Resolute Technique and ignore accuracy. On top of that, the templar/marauder area has really potent +life % and flat life nodes, which the shadow area lacks.

• Locked thread