Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snowcrafta
Jul 8, 2007

I can't reiterate how awesome socks are. I'll take them for Christmas, I'll take them for Birthday, I'll take them for anniversary. I'll even take them for a wedding but it better be a god damn Costco sized box worth.

I love socks.

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

I'm not saying it's impossible, because nothing is impossible really.. but..

Give the gently caress up on this idea. It's just not gonna happen. I'm dead serious, go to college and get a job in the real world or something, because you do not have a future with the military.. except maybe if you go in as a civilian, or suck the right dick at certain guard units. And even that is all extremely unlikely.

Also, honestly, you have no business in the military. I sympathize with the psychiatric stuff, I really do, but if 18 days of USAF basic training was a little to much for you, even 5 years ago pre meds and therapy, you seriously should be nowhere near wearing a uniform.

I'm not trying to psych shame you or anything, I take the pills to keep me from going crazy myself, I'm just being honest with you. It's 1) Never gonna happen and 2) Should never happen.

Best of luck otherwise, though.

I appreciate the honest answer. It's been a lingering thing in my head, and it's good to get an answer not only by the rules, but also someone's perspective.

Just a little more about the background. At the time, I had separation anxiety from a -then serious girlfriend of mine, and having been babied, sheltered, and gotten away with so much for thinking I was a special snowflake, it basically shattered everything I had known to where it all collapsed.

I've changed entirely since then. My parents and family don't help me in any real supportive way aside what would be considered normal weekly 5-10 minute catch up phone calls. I now live 800 miles away from them independently for the last year, and the 2 years before I lived 300 miles away and only visited during Christmas break. I've worked up the healthcare field as a nurse's assistant, and it's the reason I'm even looking into military again, to train to be a medic (EMT-Basic), and then pursuit an RN afterwards. It's something I really think I would be able to handle and do well in. I need to be able to look into this now, because at 25, enlisting is soon to become not an option unless as an officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Honestly man, what Gas told you is right. Maybe a couple years back, you would be able to walk into a recruiters office and tell them your story and give them your medical paperwork and get a waiver or something, but with how hard it is to get in now, most recruiters won't touch you unless you're almost pristine.

In all honesty, you'd be better off just going to school for all your RN stuff anyways. Lots less bullshit to deal with and you'll be making much more money in a shorter amount of time.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Have you considered a job working for the USAF as a civilian? DoD's workforce is roughly 1/3 military, 1/3 civilian and 1/3 contractor; you'd get to play with much of the same toys, but with a lot less bullshit. Sounds like RN might be your best career path, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Have you considered a job working for the USAF as a civilian? DoD's workforce is roughly 1/3 military, 1/3 civilian and 1/3 contractor; you'd get to play with much of the same toys, but with a lot less bullshit. Sounds like RN might be your best career path, though.

Even this is getting difficult now. I'm not sure how you haven't noticed, but civilians have been getting cut as if a gothic teenage girl was running the show. And with sequestration around the corner I wouldn't even look at joining as a civilian right now.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

Even this is getting difficult now. I'm not sure how you haven't noticed, but civilians have been getting cut as if a gothic teenage girl was running the show. And with sequestration around the corner I wouldn't even look at joining as a civilian right now.
Yeah, a job right now is difficult, but careers are long-term decisions and sequestration will pass in a few months.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And the military has been scaling back medical personnel for 2 decades.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

And the military has been scaling back medical personnel for 2 decades.

And it completely misuses those it has. I beg kids to avoid military medical--especially nurses. It can be a worthwhile tradeoff for some physicians, but almost never for nurses.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a question as a military dependent-to-be, I hope it's ok to ask in this thread as other information resources have not been clear. Fiance is a 2nd Lt in the USAF.

Here's our situation:
Fiance is finishing up intel school at Goodfellow AFB, graduating in May. He just received orders to Kadena AB in Okinawa. I am planning on staying here until my work contracts are done at the end of 2014 then joining him early 2015. In order for the USAF to foot the bill for me to join him later, when should we get married?

Some sources say before he leaves so I'm on his orders from the start.

Some say we should wait until he gets there so his orders will be amended and hope I get command sponsorship.

His current command says if we get married now they'll "for sure" pay for me to move later but we both agree that sounds like a lot of bullshit.

Thoughts?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I read your post earlier and promptly forgot about it, but here's my little nugget on the matter.

You two have to sit down, talk it out, and decide what is best. A bunch of dudes on an internet forum who know nothing about you two are going to be about as useful as a nailgun without an air compressor.

That said...

You're not joining him until this time 2 years from now. Two years is a long time and will put a ton of stress on the marriage. Not saying anything will happen, but being half a world away for a long period like that can bring out the stupid in anyone (not calling you or him stupid, just saying it happens). He'd be gaining a stipend for being married, you'd be able to get a dependent ID, use base stuff like a PX/BX and commissaries, medical/dental/life insurance, yada yada yada. You would be the one to benefit the most from this even if you're not living with him for the next two years.

It's really the time aspect that's the worst of it, and even though he'll come home on leave or you'll fly over to see him sometimes, it's going to be a really rough way to spend the first two years of your marriage, and those should be happy years, not years you struggle to make it through because of distance. In the end, you'll do what you want, but think long and hard about the time. About what you were doing two years ago. About how much has changed since then and how much is likely to change in the next two years.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Spongebob Tampax posted:

A bunch of dudes on an internet forum who know nothing about you two are going to be about as useful as a nailgun without an air compressor.

So pretty fuckin' useful?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder-actuated_tool

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Unless you're in a weird situation/going to a weird base (of which Kadena should not be one) the only real reason for military members to get married on paper is if they are both in so they can start the join-spouse process. I am far from an assignment/personnel expert, but AFAIK there shouldn't be any trouble getting his orders amended if/when you guys get married, nor should there be any trouble getting command sponsorship as Kadena isn't like Korea or something where slots are really limited (provided you can get official clearance, to include being medically cleared...again, as long as you are healthy without any chronic conditions shouldn't be an issue). Here's something to consider though...AFAIK overseas unaccompanied tours are only two years in length. Since you would be planning on joining him right around 6 months prior to the 2 year point in his assignment this could be an issue as far as getting command sponsorship/getting his orders amended, since there might be a requirement where you can't get command sponsorship if your sponsor is within a certain amount of time period of his DEROS (date when he is returning from overseas/getting a new assignment). Another question...accompanied overseas tours are three years, but I don't know if getting married prior to his going over there would get you put on his orders as a command sponsored dependent from the start, since you would not be accompanying him for almost 2 years.

Bottom line is that if you guys are serious about this he needs to talk to someone who knows what the gently caress they are talking about to get answers to those questions as well as a whole bunch of other ones...not his bros, not random schoolhouse instructors, this is talk to the CC/DO/Shirt territory, and they need to point him in the direction of a good personnelist, either an NCO working assignments at the FSS in Goodfellow or someone at AFPC. However, if you want to get some advice to at least get pointed in the right direction as far as regs/rules/references/etc for when you go to the CC/DO/Shirt, post this in the AF thread. We've got a couple of decent personnel types who should be able to get you started at least. Also hopefully he already knows this, but if you guys make any plans based on what a personnelist or functional or whoever says (whether at Goodfellow or AFPC or somewhere else) GET IT IN WRITING, and make sure it's not local assignment tech A1C Snuffy doing the writing.

All that said, what Spongebob Tampax said is right on. A very good friend of mine is a maintenance officer who is married to a CSO who is on an AFSOC asset with an extremely high deployment rate...two months on, two months off. They got married when he was at CSO training in Texas while she was a senior in college; she had already dropped her assignment (Minot) and so while they submitted join-spouse in the spring of her senior year after getting courthouse married she got to spend a year in Minot geographically separated (after spending her senior year separated as well). After that he's been on that two months on/two months off cycle for almost the entire past three years...they're still married, and happily so now (thanks to some counseling and his deployment cycle lessening a bit), but they came within an inch of getting a divorce. Not because of anything either of them did, just because being physically separated for that long is an insane amount of stress to place on a marriage, especially one that is brand new. They had and have a great relationship, which is the only reason that they stayed married.

Like he said, think long and hard about this.

e: \/ As soon as she mentioned he was intel I was hoping you would show up :allears: \/

e2: I'm dying here :lol:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 27, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have a question as a military dependent-to-be, I hope it's ok to ask in this thread as other information resources have not been clear. Fiance is a 2nd Lt in the USAF.

Here's our situation:
Fiance is finishing up intel school at Goodfellow AFB, graduating in May. He just received orders to Kadena AB in Okinawa. I am planning on staying here until my work contracts are done at the end of 2014 then joining him early 2015. In order for the USAF to foot the bill for me to join him later, when should we get married?

Some sources say before he leaves so I'm on his orders from the start.

Some say we should wait until he gets there so his orders will be amended and hope I get command sponsorship.

His current command says if we get married now they'll "for sure" pay for me to move later but we both agree that sounds like a lot of bullshit.

Thoughts?

Go ask the career development folks at the MPF. Also pimp the TMO folks and ask them.

The final answer comes from one of those two sources. And in the end you have a 50/50 chance of being told the wrong thing anyway.

But you asked for thoughts, and after smoking a bowl and contemplating things, I had a thought I'd like to share with you.

Have you considered not marrying your fiancee?

I can count on one finger the number of guys that were USAF intel officers that I wouldn't line up outside the gas chambers if the fourth reich became a thing.

A few years from now, when you can't even stand to look at him without feeling a sense of extreme hatred and disappointment simultaneous to realizing that at 28 years old you spend 50% of your day thinking about becoming a divorcee, remember this advice: Run the gently caress away now.

Seriously, there is a 100% chance your fiancee is a tool and a loving nitwit. There is a 100% chance that he will be peer pressured into becoming a distilled version of fighter pilot gay bro'ness not by dudes that fly fighter jets, but other sperged out intel retard officers. He's going to start saying things like "Check, Rodge, Vector, Burner" and other associated lame as gently caress things, while also sometimes randomly wearing a flightsuit to work on Fridays despite his only flight time being the fam flight he poo poo his pants or puked his guts up during.

Also he's going to cheat on you. Oh man is he going to cheat on you. And there is a not too bad chance that it won't be with some good looking gal, but rather some dumb bitch enlisted intel girl that almost got a degree in psychology from her podunk state school before she decided she hated the taste of gargling frat sperm and dropped out and joined up to get a chance at being the hottest little twat in a windowless SCIF in Japan.

But don't worry about that breaking your heart, he'll never tell you. You'll be too busy caring for the 3-4 kids he demands you squeeze out in repayment to the base model BMW 3 series he's going to buy you when he gets to his second assignment at Tinker AFB.

When he's not deep dicking some borderline inbred dipshit Airman who's a civilian 5 and intel 12, he'll be lording over you how his job and career come first, and pray he doesn't make more money than you because that'll come up everytime you sigh audibly at the dinner table where you two will passive aggressively try to grind down each others will to live and breathe.

By this point as a captain he's going to be TDY 1-2 months a year, where he's getting half assed hand jobs from third tier strippers on excursions with the least socially inept enlisted guys in his flight-- this is probably the point where his raging alcoholism will be so clear and obvious to you that you two will start fighting every saturday before kick off when his colleges football team inevitably will take a beating. This fight won't stop until his next TDY when the sweet release of his toothless stripper infidelities and lack of home presence gives you time to bust out your big giant purple *BZZZZZ* friend whenever those walking talking pants making GBS threads machines you call children fall asleep long enough to let you deaden the nerves in your clitoris.

Soon after he'll take his third assignment, the one right before he pins on Major, and suddenly he'll be pressuring you into becoming a fundamentalist christian, and he'll delete all of his whores off of his facebook account and spend his home time posting image macros about 2nd amendment rights, and how jesus spoke english in the bible so these loving mexicans should too. At this point you two will be consigned to bi-annual loving, and only when you've drank enough cheap boxed wind to be able to stand the idea of him pounding away on you missionary style but still refusing to look you in the eyes.

This will also be the point when your oldest childs ADHD and pyromania are diagnosed, and one of your parents die. There is around a 85% chance one of you is going to be eating zoloft and klonopin out of loving pez dispensers, and waking up angry that the sweet release of death hasn't taken one of you out of this loveless hosed up marriage.

Somewhere in here the idea of swinging is going to come up casually as an almost joke when you are both in the blissful release of a nice drunken buzz, and one of you will actually be very open and interested in the idea. The other is going to wind up being an unhappy accomplice wondering why your partner wants to gently caress almost chubby guys with spray on tans, or watch the sacred hole through which your children came into this world be filled with all manner of different ethnicities of cock.

I'm late to bring this up, but sooner rather than later you're also going to screen positive for HPV, and your intel officer husband is going to take every bit of research skills he has from his job to convince you that you got it from donating blood or sitting on a toilet seat.

You didn't get it from the Red Cross or a trip to the shitter.

As it stands now though, you can walk the gently caress away and enjoy a life that I'm pretty sure would be better than the above. And you'll never have to see the inside of an officers wives meeting which is a lovecraftian hell that makes my description of your future seem like Charlie's trip through the chocolate factory.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 27, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
God drat. 0_o

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Beautiful.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
hahahahaha

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Best post ever.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

:eyepop:

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
:stare:

I hope years from now you remember GAS CURES KIKES' post when you realize he gave you the best advice possible and was in fact not trolling after you decide your boyfriend 'isn't like that' and you marry him anyways.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 27, 2013

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

That was a thing of beauty.

Anyway, I'm going to Germany soon but I have to land in Frankfurt. I can't get a hold of any of the 3 phone numbers on my orders paper and my sponsor isn't answering yet. I am flying in with 2 small dogs, but big enough that the airlines want them in medium sized kennels. I see there is a shuttle from Frankfurt to Ramstein, where everyone has to in-process and not to worried about that, it will probably be a van or bus. However, once we get to Ramstein what do people there do with pets? I don't know how long in-processing will take and would like to drop the dogs off at a hotel if it will be hours. Also, how bad are the busses from Ramstein to Weisbaden? I'm really hoping the dogs won't have to be in the storage area and can stay in a seat in their cages. Does anyone know how long in-processing takes and what the bus situation is like around there?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I'm glad someone went far, far more tangent with that question than I ever would. loving work of art.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I'm glad someone went far, far more tangent with that question than I ever would. loving work of art.

Shared it with the PYF quote thread, because god drat.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Voted 5, was told I was a gem.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
holy poo poo lmfao

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I like to think that the rare occasion that I effort post that it's pretty good.

Yeah... no. I ain't got poo poo on that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Well that was, uh, informative?

We're well aware the separation will suck, we've been through something similar before and survived. Plus I grew up military so it's not like I'm going into this with no idea of what I'm getting into. If he was being stationed CONUS this would be a non issue and we'd get married next year and I'd pay to move myself, but moving to Japan is expensive and I am trying to not have to pay for it if I can. Right now it looks like he'll be there until 2017 regardless of marital status.

He got ahold of the personnel people at Kadena, and they suggest getting married beforehand. They have a ton of spouses move later because of kids' school years and crap and say it's a whole lot easier if we're married from the start. We're still not trusting anything anyone says until we get something in writing from someone who has authority in these matters and knows what the hell they're talking about.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 27, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That post. :stare:

That said even if you aren't able to join him he will still be entitled to dependent rate BAH among other allowances plus Tricare for yourself. If GCK didn't convince you to not get married, you're throwing away free money by not doing so.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We're well aware the separation will suck, we've been through something similar before and survived. Plus I grew up military so it's not like I'm going into this with no idea of what I'm getting into. If he was being stationed CONUS this would be a non issue and we'd get married next year and I'd pay to move myself, but moving to Japan is expensive and I am trying to not have to pay for it if I can. Right now it looks like he'll be there until 2017 regardless of marital status.

He got ahold of the personnel people at Kadena, and they suggest getting married beforehand. They have a ton of spouses move later because of kids' school years and crap and say it's a whole lot easier if we're married from the start. We're still not trusting anything anyone says until we get something in writing from someone who has authority in these matters and knows what the hell they're talking about.

You will never get anything like that in writing, and if you do the person who wrote it will no longer be in a position of any authority when the time comes for you to act. You are going to get hosed here.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

:sigh:

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We're well aware the separation will suck,

Hey here's a nutso idea, why don't you see if your ~1 tru love~ survives the sucky separation, and only then go ahead with the marriage if it does.

Or, you know, you could risk an enormous amount of drama and complication in your life for a small, temporary financial advantage, 'cause that kind of thinking never backfires on anyone in the military, ever.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

For some reason "ADHD and pyromania" was what actually made me laugh out loud (or lol if you will) at that whole post.

Are officer's wives clubs still a real thing? We don't have them in my unit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What is it about intel officers that makes them especially bad? (I'm just a civilian.)

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

prefect posted:

What is it about intel officers that makes them especially bad? (I'm just a civilian.)

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

prefect posted:

Despite the job title, they're usually not that bright. Combine that with a general inferiority complex and a "this is my hill and I am its king" mentality and you're getting an idea.

I've known exactly two quality intel officers. One was actually acquisitions on an intel assignment who wanted to crosstrain permanently because not only was she loving awesome at it, she enjoyed it...naturally the AF said no so she got out (she was actually one of the best officers I knew). The other was actually an intel patch wearer who's big fault was wanting to show off how good he was at it.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Intel is INCREDIBLY full of it's self and from TRADOC to FORSCOM they beat into analysts heads that they are the important ones. It's all stuff like "Well if we didn't provide the intel those dumb grunts wouldn't be kicking in the right doors! They'd be dying 24/7 from IEDs but we save them!!! :smug: :smug: :smug:

It's like every branch in the military, king of battle, queen of battle, supplying the fight, we work the paperwork that makes the army run, etc. Except as Cryo says it's coupled with :spergin:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cheer up Shimz, one day somebody will listen to us.

Martello posted:

Are officer's wives clubs still a real thing?

Yes. We call them FRGs, and they are just as terrible.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Haha yeah, but in my last unit most of the trouble was from the enlisted wives. My FRG is thankfully fine so far, and the officer's wives are the least involved. Two of the PLs are married, and one of their wives is the treasurer. The other one's wife never comes and the XO's wife shows up but doesn't really do a whole lot. We'll see how my fiancee feels about being involved after she graduates from Albany this May. I'm certainly not gonna push her in one direction or the other.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

AF calls it the spouses' club.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

:words:

Even my (her words) "dependa wife" loled. Bravo.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I know it's a fun phrase to say "get everything in writing hur hur" about the military, but this post is pretty indicative of the fact that you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about. If you want the real answer to your question, get married now, or soon. Because then you'll actually be a wife, you'll be on his orders, and they will be obligated to pay for your poo poo down the line. Does it really make any sense to you that it would be better to wait to get married? Like, what sort of advantage do you think that would be down the road? Get poo poo taken care of before it's a problem. If you guys can't figure this out now, I weep for whatever people will have to depend on your husband because it's blowing my mind how stupid this question is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TheUnhorse posted:

I know it's a fun phrase to say "get everything in writing hur hur" about the military, but this post is pretty indicative of the fact that you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about. If you want the real answer to your question, get married now, or soon. Because then you'll actually be a wife, you'll be on his orders, and they will be obligated to pay for your poo poo down the line. Does it really make any sense to you that it would be better to wait to get married? Like, what sort of advantage do you think that would be down the road? Get poo poo taken care of before it's a problem. If you guys can't figure this out now, I weep for whatever people will have to depend on your husband because it's blowing my mind how stupid this question is.

TLDR take your free BAH/BAS/Tricare

• Locked thread