Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

Aoyue makes some temp controlled stations between $40-$60 that are great. Hakko makes a digital that's somewhere around $85, and the analog Weller is around there too. They're all great and completely worth it.

e: USD

I've got this Aoyue station, and really like it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I30QBW/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

General_Failure posted:

I had to click to find out wtf. For some reason my imagination ran free and I decided it was something done in Britain late in car construction to act as a ward against fire demons. I know it doesn't make sense but I like the thought of someone in a factory adorned with ceremonial robes splashing Rovers with fox urine while chanting some mystical incantation.

My cat's been keeping my car rabbit-free for years. And I never knew.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sockington posted:

Oh my god, that soldering station is badass. Takes almost no time to heat up and is just a delight to work with.

I love the super flexible iron cable versus the normal 110v plug that lovely ones come with.

Having tried a nicer setup, I'll never go back if possible.

Normal 110v plug in irons blow, only time I ever have to use them is doing emergency fixes for work in a hangar somewhere, otherwise we have a few Weller stations at our shop.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

D C posted:

Normal 110v plug in irons blow, only time I ever have to use them is doing emergency fixes for work in a hangar somewhere, otherwise we have a few Weller stations at our shop.

That's not an emergency. When you use a flame and a piece of wire is closer to that. Sort of like stick welding using a welding rod, a car battery and jumper leads. Sounds like what you are doing is closer to field repairs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've got a weller WES51 station I bought 9 years ago that I love. For anything that requires a LOT of heat (or specialty solders such as lead free / silver / plumbing / etc), I have propane torches and a giant iron I call my "soldering caber", it's basically a pencil iron but about 18" long and 2" diameter with a 3/4" chisel pointed copper rod as a tip. I'm pretty sure I could solder a ground strap to an engine block with that thing.

I have a soldering pot around here somewhere too, but haven't used it in years, great when tinning dozens of wires for something. I got it mostly because it was $10 and came with something like 10-20lbs of solder already in it at a flea market.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
You got me started on cider, never drank it before just because i enjoy a wide variety of beer. I bought some Woodchuck private reserve today and it is awesome. It might be my new favorite.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Toucan Sam posted:

You got me started on cider, never drank it before just because i enjoy a wide variety of beer. I bought some Woodchuck private reserve today and it is awesome. It might be my new favorite.

Tried some Angry Orchard ages ago when Sock first mentioned his love of liquid apples. It might not be my favorite but it led me to my current favorite lager, Wild Blue. Blueberry booze.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ciders are awesome. I also like pear ciders. Tasmania seems to have produced some really good various ones. I think it was a bit after Christmas I mentioned I tried and apple and elderflower one. Man that was one of the nicest things I've ever drank.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Yep, thanks to Sock i also drink Wild Blue and Fox Barrel Pear Cider. I never really looked at them before this thread. I drink some great microbrew beers but cider is so refreshing after a long rear end day. I got most of my friends drinking cider now also once i convinced them that it wasn't for girls, lol.

EDIT - I normally drink Angry Orchard but Woodchuck is also very good. A buddy brought by some Redds apple ale that was also quite good, no aftertaste like regular cider.

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 27, 2013

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Kotaru posted:

Tried some Angry Orchard ages ago when Sock first mentioned his love of liquid apples. It might not be my favorite but it led me to my current favorite lager, Wild Blue. Blueberry booze.

If you like that, you will love this: http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/blue/

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

piss boner posted:

If you like that, you will love this: http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/blue/

I'm typing this as I drink from a Sweetwater Blue pint glass. We probably have 30+ Sweetwater pint glasses around the house, all saved from mine and my wife's college days here in Atlanta. I'm a sucker for the 420, but their seasonal brews are all outstanding.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm becoming a cider fan too, I was in Minneapolis for a convention last fall and all the bars there had Crispin on tap, served in a chilled glass. I highly recommend it, it's incredibly light and smooth and I got completely ripped before I knew what was happening.

They talked about it like it was local but their website has a contact address in california. Hrm.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Kotaru posted:

Try the Angry Orchard Elderflower. That one might be my current favorite.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
one of the angry orchard ciders goes really, really well with a hot day and the smell of freshly split red oak. I think I killed most of a sixer without even realizing it that day.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
All this talk of cider makes me long for it when I get home.

I'm a huge fan of Alexander Keith's Cider over most of the other ciders I've tried. I've tried (off the top of my head)
- Keith's Cider
- Woodchuck
- Angry Orchard
- Somersby
- Strongbow
- Thornbury
- Magners
- Growers

Out of all of them, Keith's still has my heart. :allears:

I think I'm going to the garage after work after all this cider talk. :downs:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I also used the Hakko the other night to do some guitar stuff. I was sad when there was no soldering left to do.

Noisy and lovely stock singles:

New GFS noiseless pickups on a new pick guard.

Not too exciting, but it was a good test bed for using the new unit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife doesn't like beer but I introduced her to cider back in the early 1990s and she's been an addict ever since. I first tasted cider in England in 1990 or so. Strongbow and Dry Blackthorn were our staples for years, since they were the only dry english ciders available locally. Woodchuck has been around for a while but we never much liked it compared to the English stuff. Magners is too sweet and we find it pretty gross. Also there's been pear cider available for a long time (Wyders) which is OK if you like perry (I don't).

Lately there's been an explosion of ciders available, I guess it's become quite popular. BevMo has a great selection and suddenly a few months ago even Safeway has started carrying the basic Angry Orchard (although at $9 a sixpack it's not as cheap as the typical Woodchuck they carry).

Angry Orchard makes a Ginger cider which is quite frankly amazing - I'm a huge fan of ginger sodas/brews so it's like it combines two of my favorite things.

Crispin seems good too, we tried a sixpack a couple months ago and I think we need to try it again. There's a lot of expensive ciders at BevMo ($5+ for a bottle that amounts to no more than two small servings) and we have to kind of try to control the budget. Our go-to is still the 750ml bottle of Strongbow sold by Trader Joes when my wife just wants some swigging cider to go with dinner.

tl;dr, cider is good, drink more cider.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Magners is too sweet and we find it pretty gross.

VERY gross.

quote:

Lately there's been an explosion of ciders available, I guess it's become quite popular. BevMo has a great selection and suddenly a few months ago even Safeway has started carrying the basic Angry Orchard (although at $9 a sixpack it's not as cheap as the Woodchuck)

Keith's runs $14/6 in Ontario :canada:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Canada has weird draconian alcohol taxes though, so I have no idea how that compares to other boozes.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Canada has weird draconian alcohol taxes though, so I have no idea how that compares to other boozes.

Each province has a different set of rules regarding taxation too.

You guys are a bad influence.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's only a bad influence if you're driving under it. (Or operating heavy machinery I guess.) Otherwise, I'd count that as a good influence.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Next up on Sockington's Apple and Oxide...

Oh, Canada. given how the govt wails on you about as hard as us I'm genuinely surprised your alcohol is slightly cheaper. Unless the Canadian Tire (That's your currency right?) is worth about as much as the New Zealand currency of shiny stones and bottlecaps. Then that would explain a lot. The AUD seems to have more or less fallen into lockstep with the USD considering they have beep pretty much equal for a year now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Try Woodchuck's fall seasonal. It's amazing and nutmeg-y.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

http://organicscrumpy.com/

My sister and I's favorite cider. Had it at the fancy beer bar and after trying only woodchuck, it was like next level woah.

When I'm at trader joes and am not interested in poverty wine, I'll usually grab a 6'er of Newtons Folly Granny Smith cider.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/newtons-folly-granny-smith-draft-cider/82589/

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Is this the new girl beer thread?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Keith's cider being good is baffling because keith's is loving swill. And I'm from Halifax.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

daslog posted:

Boy... You best turn around and mosey on outta here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

daslog posted:

Hey man, I love me a good imperial stout too, but don't go knocking cider (or use feminine qualities as insults, for that matter.) poo poo is magical, especially served warm with mulling spices on the rare occasion it gets cold around these parts.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Hey man, I love me a good imperial stout too, but don't go knocking cider (or use feminine qualities as insults, for that matter.) poo poo is magical, especially served warm with mulling spices on the rare occasion it gets cold around these parts.

Hmm... you made me think. It's been years since I made any mulled wine, and also I really miss mead.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh god mead is my one true weakness. Shame it's so hard to find, I can't exactly make it in my current living situation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

daslog posted:

<:mad:>

This is ciderchat not smirnoff ice chat!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

<:mad:>

This is ciderchat not smirnoff ice chat!

Hey! No shaming my tartfuel addiction!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Finally got an email back from the MTO today. The MR2 title issue is finally getting looked at.

Only been four weeks since our last contact....

Oh Government :downs:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Send Tina some Jorts pics, Chris.

That's sure to get things moving.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
going back through TNG season one blu rays and i'd completely forgotten about the ~* planet of africans *~ episode

edit: woah wrong thread but everyone was busy with cider chat

8ender fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 2, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

Send Tina some Jorts pics, Chris.

That's sure to get things moving.

I don't think it'll grease the wheels like it does with drunk-posting Saab enthusiasts. ;)

Just play the game and wait - it's not like I'm short on cars right now. The Miata fills the summer, the Subaru the winter, and the MR2 rests peacefully until it's time.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

I'm becoming a cider fan too, I was in Minneapolis for a convention last fall and all the bars there had Crispin on tap, served in a chilled glass. I highly recommend it, it's incredibly light and smooth and I got completely ripped before I knew what was happening.

They talked about it like it was local but their website has a contact address in california. Hrm.

One upping your chilled glass today.

I can assure you it is cold and delicious.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sockington posted:

I don't think it'll grease the wheels like it does with drunk-posting Saab enthusiasts. ;)

I didn't get a calendar. t:mad:

I did, however, get a signed Youngblizzie DVD. :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yall made me try the Angry Orchard Ginger cider and man it is tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

I didn't get a calendar. t:mad:

Jealous? :smugbert:

quote:

I did, however, get a signed Youngblizzie DVD. :allears:

Who hasn't been seen since. Where's the body?

• Locked thread