Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

At exactly 3 AM EST, like clockwork.

Seriously, without fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Because Tom works with a substantial buffer, he's working on pages now that won't be on the site for several months, and they go live on an automatic schedule. So no missed days or whatever, the only way the comic doesn't go up is if the server is down.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
It really is a wonderful work. Haven't enjoyed something so much in a long time.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Oh dear, how is Kate going to react to this?

-positive? - "Nice gig, Annie!"
-uncomprehending? - "What has the forest done to your brain?"
-understanding? - "Well, if it's what you want..."
-worried? - "But it's dangerous out there!"

(joke option) - "YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE" :cry:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

ecureuilmatrix posted:

More importantly, what will Cityface think?!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

ecureuilmatrix posted:

"The headmaster did wha...? What a butt."

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
And who is this mysterious Kate person? I hope we find out soon!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ecureuilmatrix posted:

-worried? - "But it's dangerous out there!"
I'd make a Zelda joke, but Annie already has a sword, a magic one at that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Kat's reaction is probably going to be heartbreaking. Not only is Annie unexpectedly running out on her for the forest again, but it's just when they were about to move in together. Which is particularly significant for Kat, since she'd had to put aside the insecurities raised by Paz to do so.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
You sure she's moving out? She's still a student at the magical boarding school regardless of her afterclass job as the eternal enemy of the magical boarding school, unless the headmaster decides to expel her over this.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

You sure she's moving out? She's still a student at the magical boarding school regardless of her afterclass job as the eternal enemy of the magical boarding school, unless the headmaster decides to expel her over this.

Yeah, I thought the line 'honorary citizen' was expressly meant to impart she'd be staying at the Court.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The headmaster's statement was pretty extreme. I think he'd have to back off from it a little to let her stay. We don't know much about him, so we can't say if he's stubborn enough to back down or not; we don't know much about what he's trying to accomplish with this gambit, so we can't say if his goals would be better served by doubling down or backing off, but "no support, no protection" is about as absolute as it gets.

Also, knowing what we do about what emigrating from one side to the other entails, "honorary citizen" may just mean she gets to live there without giving up her current body.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Carrasco posted:

The headmaster's statement was pretty extreme. I think he'd have to back off from it a little to let her stay. We don't know much about him, so we can't say if he's stubborn enough to back down or not; we don't know much about what he's trying to accomplish with this gambit, so we can't say if his goals would be better served by doubling down or backing off, but "no support, no protection" is about as absolute as it gets.

Also, knowing what we do about what emigrating from one side to the other entails, "honorary citizen" may just mean she gets to live there without giving up her current body.

It's funny everyon's first guess is that the headmaster has some kind of gambit that involve not appointing Annie to the job, instead of just thinking she would be bad at it...

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

Iceclaw posted:

It's funny everyon's first guess is that the headmaster has some kind of gambit that involve not appointing Annie to the job, instead of just thinking she would be bad at it...

Ah, but someone trying that hard to look uninterested and bored simply has to be Plotting.

:colbert:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think its a simple matter of the Headmaster not wanting a medium quite as friendly with the forest as Annie and having his veto backfire on him when the forest-sympathetic, best choice medium got hired by the forest instead of fading into the background. I don't think he had any expectation of Ysengrim retiring from the position.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

mr. stefan posted:

I think its a simple matter of the Headmaster not wanting a medium quite as friendly with the forest as Annie and having his veto backfire on him when the forest-sympathetic, best choice medium got hired by the forest instead of fading into the background. I don't think he had any expectation of Ysengrim retiring from the position.

Well, neither did Ysengrim, so there's that.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Just realized this might mean that instead of Coyote playing head games with Smitty, it'll just be Smitty and Annie relaying messages to each other. Hopefully Coyote will still want to talk to Mighty Eyebrows Boy himself, but I get the feeling this would make it more likely to happen off-screen.

Also I bet Kat's reaction will be similar to her's in this last panel.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wait, Donald Donlan? Donny Dons?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Why do you think there's a Jimmy Jims?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

LooseLeafTea posted:

Ah, but someone trying that hard to look uninterested and bored simply has to be Plotting.

:colbert:

He's plotting something; he's got something up his sleeve, but I think Coyote basically got the better of him here. If he wanted this outcome, he'd have had to have outsmarted both Coyote and Jones, and they're both immortal and Coyote is a trickster god. I can't see any situation where someone like the headmaster is going to get the best of Coyote; the best you can do against Coyote is to break even, really.

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

OneTwentySix posted:

He's plotting something; he's got something up his sleeve, but I think Coyote basically got the better of him here. If he wanted this outcome, he'd have had to have outsmarted both Coyote and Jones, and they're both immortal and Coyote is a trickster god. I can't see any situation where someone like the headmaster is going to get the best of Coyote; the best you can do against Coyote is to break even, really.

Agreed - the only plot you'll find on the wrong side of Coyote is a failed plot... All the more fun for us to watch :allears:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

It wasn't my first guess, but it's how Coyote and Jones are both treating the situation.

Point stands, though. If there's not a larger plot, it just comes down to how stubborn he is. All we really know about him is he acts disdainful of the forest, and he broke that image to rebuke Annie. From the point of view of saving face before the forest, I think this means he has to commit; if such a forceful proclamation isn't followed through, how will his normally watered-down words hold any force?

Of course, there's still a lot about the situation we don't really know, so it could still go either way.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I still like the notion that Coyote came up with the idea on the spot more or less just to spite whatever the Headmaster was planning.

No one gets to try and run a scheme on Coyote but Coyote.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ATP_Power posted:

I still like the notion that Coyote came up with the idea on the spot more or less just to spite whatever the Headmaster was planning.

Coyote must have come up with this idea on the spot, but I don't think he did it to spite the Headmaster. I believe he's just a master of twisting any situation to his advantage. He's known he had some influence over Annie for awhile. And I'm sure he's keenly aware of Annie's emotional state over this rejection.

So, with but a little twist, he's able to get Annie and Renard. Additionally, Annie is friends with Parley and Smitty, so that's some bonus influence over them for Coyote. It's a really simple move that gives him all the advantages and the Headmaster/Court next to none.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Moral of the story: You need to get up pretty drat early in the morning to pull one over on a millenia old trickster god. In fact, you're better off staying up all night.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Prison Warden posted:

In fact, you're better off staying up all night.
That could be why the Headmaster is so tired.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Prison Warden posted:

Moral of the story: You need to get up pretty drat early in the morning to pull one over on a millenia old trickster god. In fact, you're better off staying up all night.

It's worth noting, I think, that in most Coyote myths the one who ends up outsmarting Coyote tends to be... Coyote. It wouldn't shock me to learn that that's what the Headmaster is banking on.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm kind of hoping that the headmaster is plotting something more just because most of the cast is interesting and generally pretty competent, and I'd feel a bit disappointed if the headmaster was just a stubborn jerk that gets made a fool of the first time he says more than a couple lines in a scene.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I know it's been said over and over, but this comic sure has been beautiful lately.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 12, 2013

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
^^ that owns

Zerilan posted:

I'm kind of hoping that the headmaster is plotting something more just because most of the cast is interesting and generally pretty competent, and I'd feel a bit disappointed if the headmaster was just a stubborn jerk that gets made a fool of the first time he says more than a couple lines in a scene.

The headmaster is plotting to get this all over with quickly so he can go back to his nap.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I knew Cat would be proud of her main babe. :3:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Renard in the second panel: jawline, or smirk? (Obviously both)

Also, Hellboy spotted

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This was a great update. God I wish I could have the last panel as an avatar.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

...and they never saw each other again.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

A student posted:

This was a great update. God I wish I could have the last panel as an avatar.

Unfortunately it turns out looking pretty bad when I try to shrink most of the whole panel to avatar size, but Kat's face alone works really great!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish I had called there not being any division between these two (yet, at least), because then I could rub it in the doomsayers' faces now. Still, good to see everyone doing well enough for now, all things considered.

Interesting that Jones is supporting Annie here; while we know that Jones's impartiality is why she recommended Annie, actually assisting her implies that, one way or another, she's got some investment in all this. Whether it's simply choosing to protect Annie or a matter involving Coyote (still want to see how things would go down between them) or some sort of plan on her part, she's up to something. Considering what we know about her, that's a pretty big deal.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Renard's smirk in the second panel is just perfect. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw noooo she's movin out. :ohdear:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SynthOrange posted:

Aw noooo she's movin out. :ohdear:

Pretty sure it's the opposite; earlier today they decided they're moving in together, and now they're putting all their things in their weird underwater pod thing they're living in. She's moving in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

No.44 posted:

Renard's smirk in the second panel is just perfect. :allears:

Smug Fox strikes again!