Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

i hate give shaggar this ammo, but don't get mplayerx from the app store. it's an old version. it's no longer being updated on there because the author disagrees with Apple's sandboxing policies.

oh i didnt even know. thanks for the heads up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

polpotpi posted:

oh i didnt even know. thanks for the heads up

iirc it was over the feature where it automatically plays the next file in a folder. apparently doing "ls" is a big security no-no

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

its p good on modern nvidia cards. Can't speak for ATI since I havn't used once since 2005.

It can choke on level 5.1 files at stupidly high bitrates or like 6+ bframes in a row, but I think it depends on what h.264 decoding ASIC is in your GPU.

it's cool that they dont tell you the limitations of hardare h.264 decoding at all when you buy a card, you just wonder "why is this file hosed up?" when you hit it.

ive been using dxva for years now on an ati card and never had a problem. seems to do a decent job with post processing and such. plus i like using the gpu whenever possible so that i can do more poo poo in the background, sooooo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

iirc it was over the feature where it automatically plays the next file in a folder. apparently doing "ls" is a big security no-no

more like being able to access arbitrary files instead of the one file the user double clicked on and the OS passed to you as a file descriptor when your executable was launched

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sniep posted:

i just wish there was a separate "compressor-enabled" audio 2 channel stereo audio track available on all movie discs (bluray or dvd) so that if you don't have a ballin home theatre you can still set the volume and let it be without constantly "turn up so we can hear this quiet part / gently caress gently caress turn back down its explosion time"

Dolby Digital is supposed to handle this, but if you bought a $200 Chinese TV lol if they even care about this working right.

For example, you may have 12 dB headroom between dialogue and 0dB FS, the TV will dynamic range normalize everything up about 8-10dB and then your dynamic range for dialogue to most loud thing will then just be 2dB.

It's suposed to work that way, but the device that is playing back the audio has to be set to do it. Flat panel TVs should handle this, but they make settings that you can screw it up with.

Cable boxes usually do this as well, so having 2 things do a dynamic range normalization is pretty bad sounding. It's like the background noise is louder than the voices when this happens.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 28, 2013

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pagancow posted:

Dolby Digital is supposed to handle this, but if you bought a $200 Chinese TV lol if they even care about this working right.

i have a decent tv and run all my audio thru it as the mixer/preamp basically, but, still get movies that only have dolby pro digital 5.1 superfuck and have the huge differences. i guess i could get off my rear end since my audio chain is all analog and just dig in my closet and throw an actual compressor in the mix but that only helps so much

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

every +3dB will appear twice as loud.

so -12dB is twice as loud as -15dB

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sniep posted:

i have a decent tv and run all my audio thru it as the mixer/preamp basically, but, still get movies that only have dolby pro digital 5.1 superfuck and have the huge differences. i guess i could get off my rear end since my audio chain is all analog and just dig in my closet and throw an actual compressor in the mix but that only helps so much

a DVD/BD player should dynamic range normalize anything output via analog, unless it's one of those really OG DVD players that had 6 RCA analogs out because DD decoders didn't exist in consumer level equipment in 1998

Some DVD players let you bypass this in a menu somewhere, but if you did this lol.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Doc Block posted:

yeah, lemme just go and make this bluray into poo poo quality so i can store a hundred of them on my htpc

makemkv = 1:1 copy, hundred blu-rays ~ 2.5 TB. impossible to accomplish using modern technology.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
how do I get normalized audio playback in windows I'm tired of adjusting audio

im looking at you parks and recreation theme song u motherfucker

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pagancow posted:

https://vimeo.com/55098112

Frenchman wants to be in his Ferrarri in America in the 1980s.
wanted for wearing sunglasses at night

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shaggar posted:

theres no need for subtitles if its English audio and if its not English audio it should have hard subs.

let's just increase the filesize by 2% by hardcoding some subs instead of embedding a 200kb text file

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

we can all agree that anyone who encodes black bars should be shot, right

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sudo Echo posted:

agreed

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sudo Echo posted:

cool, lets just ignore TV standards too. I'm encoding my video at 34.2 fps

cya

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the best thing about computer video is that unless you're a huge sperg all your video will be displayed at 60 Hz so even when you've hand tweaked the decoder chain to handle the million different formats it'll still be jerky poo poo playing 24/25 fps content

most computer grade LCDs only work at 60, 59 and maybe 50 Hz

basically get a DLP projector, runs at anything from 50 to 80 Hz

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i just double click videos and play them. couldn't care less about codecs or any of that stuff

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Cadence is such a big deal though. Having each frame on screen for the same ammount of time is really important to have a smooth playback.

when you're trying to shove 24/25/50 into 60, there is always one frame on screen longer than the rest.

Once you've seen this you cannot unsee it, and you end up buying expensive equipment just to watch movies. So don't try to find out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

much like twixtor artifacts, your brain becomes permanently wired to notice them

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
way to be autismal about putting a movie on your tv

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
MPC-HC supports resolution switching, and you can install Reclock if you like audio track switching not working. it speeds up or down playback to match the monitor as best as it can, and then does something to correct the pitch.

still better than NTSC judder but not as great as actually having the right refresh rate

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

pro tip for you all - make a custom 48hz res and most monitors will display it fine as its close enough to 50hz

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

much like twixtor artifacts, your brain becomes permanently wired to notice them

is this the anti shake video thing like YouTube does? because I cannot unsee it and it makes me nauseous when watching things with it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my display supports 24hz but my movies looked jerky as gently caress when I tried them in that mode. what gives

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

THC posted:

my display supports 24hz but my movies looked jerky as gently caress when I tried them in that mode. what gives

probably inverse telecine not being applied if it was a DVD

with my lovely intel graphics laptop htpc moving from internal monitor to external HDMI makes it play video all jerky until I reboot with it already connected

also I literally had to make a custom inf to make custom resolutions over HDMI with Intel's lovely drivers, custom resolutions only work over VGA wtf intel

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

THC posted:

movies are inherently jerky as gently caress because they're 24 fps. hth

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

is this the anti shake video thing like YouTube does? because I cannot unsee it and it makes me nauseous when watching things with it

it seems to be some sort of motion interpolation thing for making an artificial slow motion clip.

but the youtube anti shaking thing is loving hilarious. the best ones i've seen are from parades or something where there is some sort of uneven parallax motion across the whole frame. poo poo gets wobbly.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i have a 120hz tv so 24hz video plays fine since its 120/24=5

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ahmeni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQokTc8D0P8

Watch the wheels and the sand when it goes to slowmo. Thats a really bad example, but even in really good examples, Twixtor generally gives itself away. ive seen it in production television even.

the youtube antishake thing is a visual representation of dubstep

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Watch the wheels and the sand when it goes to slowmo. Thats a really bad example, but even in really good examples, Twixtor generally gives itself away. ive seen it in production television even.

heres a sweet example of antishake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6SgP9ngSFU&t=315s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

lord funk posted:

hard subs were good in night watch. in fact they were amazing in night watch.
Night Watch had fantastic subtitles, they did far more with them than any of the ~anime fansubberz~ did in their entire history of hardsubbing. It's too bad they didn't do the same for Day Watch.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pagancow posted:

cool, lets just ignore TV standards too. I'm encoding my video at 34.2 fps

cya

i'm talking about digital stuff not dads widescreen vhs tapes okay

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wheany posted:

but the youtube anti shaking thing is loving hilarious. the best ones i've seen are from parades or something where there is some sort of uneven parallax motion across the whole frame. poo poo gets wobbly.

it gets loving insane when someone accidentally turns it on for the video game video they just uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ue-DmQGLRs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this thread made me notice color banding and i hate it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Their anti shake is working p well actually.

its just that the footage is poo poo. cant polish a turd.

well you can, but it's still a turd

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Carthag posted:

this thread made me notice color banding and i hate it

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

if you aint ditherin, you must be trippin

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:stare:

who would look at that and say "yup looks good"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

longview posted:

:stare:

who would look at that and say "yup looks good"

probably someone who really wants slow motion but does not have a high speed camera, and realizes that it is impossible to get something that looks really good that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Twixtor is like auto tune, you're suposed to use it to give more polish to a shot, not to crazy poo poo like "hey look at me!!!!"

they even say in the marketing for it "do you ever wish you needed your shot to last 5 frames longer, but didn't have it?" or "do you wish you would have shot it at a slightly higher framerate?"

it is pretty amazing for what it does do correctly. We use it all the time for the "wish it was a few frames longer" aspect.

• Locked thread