Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Selklubber posted:

The BI-forums are going to explode with rage now. First it's Steam only, and now they have pre-order rewards!

http://www.arma3.com/alpha/briefing

I dont see a problem. Im happy its a steam exclusive no more half of the community getting a patch then steam getting it a day or so later. I like the pre order bonuses and im happy I can save money by ordering early. Not to mention having 3 Alpha keys could increase ARMA's population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

Not to mention having 3 Alpha keys could increase ARMA's population.

You should realize that this is considered a negative on the BIS forums.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

LP97S posted:

You should realize that this is considered a negative on the BIS forums.

The BIS forums are full of ARMA hipsters who believe going mainstream is a detriment.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I dont want them to go mainstream and do what Tripwire did with RO2. I want ARMA, but more players is always better.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

I dont want them to go mainstream and do what Tripwire did with RO2. I want ARMA, but more players is always better.

Uhh, Red Orchestra 2 loving rocks man. :colbert: Anyways, yeah, more players is gonna be sweet.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Man, looking forward to this. I considered getting the Supporter Edition..but it's a little too rich for my blood this time I think considering I have Arma 2 already and everything with it, and only the DLC's perhaps would be tempting, but I can just get those as they come out. I don't see myself posting in their forums either so the Forums Badge and name in the end credits is less likely for me to happen.

The Deluxe Edition is more than enough I think, now to wish that the 5th was tomorrow.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Having bought A2CO twice, I think I'll be a cheapskate this time around, too. You're not the only one.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Some bad news on the ArmA III modding front,Cold War Rearmed is staying an ArmA II only mod. For the most part it seems to be for non-steam reasons.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

LP97S posted:

Some bad news on the ArmA III modding front,Cold War Rearmed is staying an ArmA II only mod. For the most part it seems to be for non-steam reasons.
Frankly, it would have been better for him to just say this instead of going all "oh boo hoo, I don't like all the heat I've been getting back from the pro-Steam crowd, I may just ragequit out of the Arma community" coming from a forums moderator, though it is an interesting look at what was going on behind the scenes behind Cold War Rearmed 2.

Vadoc posted:

name in the end credits is less likely for me to happen.
Whereas this is specifically the only reason for me to buy the Supporter Edition. :colbert:

Steeltalon posted:

The BIS forums are full of ARMA hipsters who believe going mainstream is a detriment.
Remember the quote earlier about Arma as "special" games for "special" people? Yeah, that was a BI forums quote.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm going to wait until other people play the alpha/beta to make sure nothing is seriously wrong with it, and then I'm definitely on board.

Sorry if this is a obvious question but I couldn't find an up to date answer? Will people immediately mod some sort of dayz style thing into the game or is this not possible?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Chortles posted:

Whereas this is specifically the only reason for me to buy the Supporter Edition. :colbert:

I'd love to get my name in the end credits, but when they're only doing the first 500 people it's pretty much Internet Lottery on how fast you can pre-order it once the link goes live and I bet you that there will be timed out pages and such. You could be #1, #501, or higher. Without a guarantee, it's not worth the extra money for a Maybe when I'm dropping that kind of money to support them.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jippa posted:

I'm going to wait until other people play the alpha/beta to make sure nothing is seriously wrong with it, and then I'm definitely on board.

Sorry if this is a obvious question but I couldn't find an up to date answer? Will people immediately mod some sort of dayz style thing into the game or is this not possible?

DayZ is getting a standalone version incorporating a lot of the changes from Arma3.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

hailthefish posted:

DayZ is getting a standalone version incorporating a lot of the changes from Arma3.

Yeah I know this, I just wandered if it was possible to mod A3 to play it also? With the new map it could be awesome.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Vadoc posted:

I'd love to get my name in the end credits, but when they're only doing the first 500 people it's pretty much Internet Lottery on how fast you can pre-order it once the link goes live and I bet you that there will be timed out pages and such. You could be #1, #501, or higher. Without a guarantee, it's not worth the extra money for a Maybe when I'm dropping that kind of money to support them.
The way I see it, the secondary option would be the Digital Deluxe option, and with the Supporter edition I can at least trade away ARMA X and the extra CWA to someone who might want to still play DayZ mod, CWR2 and so on.

Same here though re: looking for a guarantee on at least knowing whether or not my buy would be eligible ("among the five hundred") before finalizing.

Jippa posted:

You can just receive an Alpha Lite invite from March 14 to June 15, each buyer gets three of invites as Steam Gifts to give out, and BI is going to do promotional giveaways for Alpha Lite invites. Also, all buyers get access to the full game at no extra cost, plus alpha buyers get beta access at no extra cost as well.

Jippa posted:

Besides the standalone, if by "dayz style thing" you mean Wasteland in Arma 3, that's actually likely -- after all, Wasteland is a custom mission using existing Arma 2: CO assets and not an addon-type mod, so all you have to do is run 'vanilla' A2/OA together (that is, disable all mods) and connect to a Wasteland server; in light of that, Wasteland seems perfectly possible during the Arma 3 alpha, albeit with only eight vehicles and twelve weapons.

Now if by "dayz style thing" you mean 'DayZ complete with zombies'... you might get a C&D from BI/Rocket, who knows. :iiam: Setting up of the 'hives' might be the most difficult aspect if that isn't just 1:1 compared to how it was done with the Arma 2: CO mod version.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ok cool, thanks.

Just saw this:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/28/czech-out-bohemia-talk-arma-3-alpha/

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For would-be modders:

DnA posted:

Lennard posted:

I expect the pbos to be fully locked just like the DLC ones. That would mean we can not suit ourself anymore, so I hope we actually get "support" in modding.
No they will not be locked like A2 DLCs, but the EULA does apply :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So is the Alpha going to be on Steam?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

alg posted:

So is the Alpha going to be on Steam?

Yes.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
I've probably put 300+ hours into Arma 2 and the only thing that bothered me was that I had a crap time getting some mods to work, ACRE for one so hopefully the mods in ARMA 3 will be much more workable, too many hours were spent troubleshooting. :(

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Obsidius posted:

I've probably put 300+ hours into Arma 2 and the only thing that bothered me was that I had a crap time getting some mods to work, ACRE for one so hopefully the mods in ARMA 3 will be much more workable, too many hours were spent troubleshooting. :(

Well considering they have DayZ working with ArmA2 on steam and the possibilities of steam workshop with a steam exclusive ArmA3... I think modding is going to look good. The less standardizing the game for different PC platforms, the better because more time for polish and easier time for patch. Better for all of us.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Obsidius posted:

As a long time gamer, it is always painful to see devs talk about a game being mod friendly, only to get it, and realize it is far less mod friendly than Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 were 14 years ago. :ughh: (With regards to installation and mod management.)

The naturally modular nature of addons would do well on a Steams Workshop, but for actual gameplay modifications, things should be insanely easy to install by now. One of the reasons I actually don't play Skyrim much anymore because I hate managing mods. The workshop barely solved the headaches of dealing with modding for that game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

Uhh, Red Orchestra 2 loving rocks man. :colbert: Anyways, yeah, more players is gonna be sweet.

Red Orchestra 2 is a joke. Tripwire promised more maps, more vehicles, and more gameplay modes like multiplayer campaigns. In the year and half since release we've gotten 2 new official maps, 2 more useless modes that serve to only fracture the community further into even spergier camps (why yes, lets make RO2 exactly like RO1), and 0 new vehicles that if you look back, were promised on the preorder details. If you ask any of the people (still) posting in the RO2 thread most of them would say the game was a poorly supported cash grab at this point.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

Red Orchestra 2 is a joke. Tripwire promised more maps, more vehicles, and more gameplay modes like multiplayer campaigns. In the year and half since release we've gotten 2 new official maps, 2 more useless modes that serve to only fracture the community further into even spergier camps (why yes, lets make RO2 exactly like RO1), and 0 new vehicles that if you look back, were promised on the preorder details. If you ask any of the people (still) posting in the RO2 thread most of them would say the game was a poorly supported cash grab at this point.

I only play on a server that uses custom maps for the most part, and I enjoy the realistic mode that they have, so I dunno. I never actually played RO1 so I had no exposure of what it came from, so I can't speak for that side of it. :shrug:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
If someone with pc specs comparable to my own gets the alpha, I would be very interested in learning how it performs.
I have a dual core ~3.2Ghz cpu/ 8GB DDR2/ Geforce 8800 Ultra and I can barely run ARMA II past 20 fps; still, I am curious.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Gooch181 posted:

If someone with pc specs comparable to my own gets the alpha, I would be very interested in learning how it performs.
I have a dual core ~3.2Ghz cpu/ 8GB DDR2/ Geforce 8800 Ultra and I can barely run ARMA II past 20 fps; still, I am curious.

There will be lots of alpha lite codes floating around on March 5th. Everyone that pre-orders gets 3 of them. Keep checking back here. There will probably be some posted in the thread and you could grab one.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

I'm definitely buying into this. Hopefully the finished product is a hell of a lot less buggy and more optimized than ArmA II was/is. I hope the alpha gets a mission editor at least.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MasonF posted:

I'm definitely buying into this. Hopefully the finished product is a hell of a lot less buggy and more optimized than ArmA II was/is. I hope the alpha gets a mission editor at least.

Chart says it does.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
If you pay then it allows saving and loading of missions, if you're only using an alpha invite then it doesn't.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Day one buy, especially since they have the editor.

The editor is all I've ever used in these games for the last 12 years.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LP97S posted:

Loath as I am to mention or link reddit, here Xeno (one of the leads for ACE mod[this shouldn't/won't affect Ace] and CWR2) comes out about why he's actually skipping Arma 3, Hint: He's bitter like a little child that got his candy taken away about the whole steam fiasco, and then goes on to say that "Reality is, the number of people who are able to mod the game is declining." and just generally being a jerk.

Good riddance say I, don't need assholes like this dragging down the community with his bullshit. And to think, they made this clown a mod over on the bistudio dot com forums :laugh:

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
A couple screenshots from the alpha, mission editor and derp:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

People love to find the dumbest hills to die on for irrational beliefs.

Although I suppose I would've bitched if it was Origin.

People like Xeno think they can't be replaced, that only through their 'genius' will a game survive. If anything, it's best he won't do anything with A3, because someone else will do a far better job without the sense of entitlement (Well..probably not, but one can always hope?).

Bring on the next generation of talented modders!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Loath as I am to mention or link reddit, here Xeno (one of the leads for ACE mod[this shouldn't/won't affect Ace] and CWR2) comes out about why he's actually skipping Arma 3, Hint: He's bitter like a little child that got his candy taken away about the whole steam fiasco, and then goes on to say that "Reality is, the number of people who are able to mod the game is declining." and just generally being a jerk.

Good riddance say I, don't need assholes like this dragging down the community with his bullshit. And to think, they made this clown a mod over on the bistudio dot com forums :laugh:
You're thinking of W0lle of CWR2 who's the BI forums mod who I quoted earlier, not Xeno though I quoted him too...

By the way, from Arma 3 project lead Joris-Jan van 't Land ("DnA" on the BI forums) in an interview with Rock, Paper Shotgun... content:

quote:

RPS: Can you talk a bit about the content in the alpha – why did you choose to show these elements? What are you most proud of?

Joris:
I really enjoy the infantry showcase, because it is a benchmark for our design vision. The scenario is quite simple, but every play-through has little differences. Sometimes I get suppressed by an auto-rifleman, see tracers fly right over my head and hear the bullets pop. You genuinely do not want to get hit, because you know the consequences are brutal. Another time you’ll have outsmarted the same patrol using a well-placed under-barrel grenade, and the survivors are forced into completely different tactics. Ignore them, and they may come back to flank you ten minutes later. The point is: when we deliver a good enough sandbox for our infantry supported by vehicles, the scenarios themselves should not have to rely on heavy scripting.

quote:

When you start toying around in the editor, you’re able to further explore the new features. Come up with new types of scenarios using SCUBA diving, get creative with anti-personnel mines or simply drop in two opposing squads of infantry someplace new on the island. A combat engagement can play out differently each time, but is now enhanced by a much-refined radio protocol and better responsiveness of the character movement.

quote:

RPS: Can you tell us a bit about how you’re expect the alpha and beta tests to go? What’s the roadmap from here?

Joris:
These early-access and test programs are really exciting for us. Particularly the ability to fully mod the Alpha is something quite unique in the current industry. Many of the games are even moving away from modding the final game. I can’t wait to see what our community comes up with before the full game is released. By doing this they will also help us test features we would otherwise not explore in our planned content (we do not currently plan to test attaching bleachers and turrets to vehicles to create a battle bus for example).

Next to that, we are still able to react to some of the feedback and change parts of the game. The foundations are built, but getting the balance of elements right is open to feedback. What are good default control bindings? How much recoil for a certain weapon is just right? How fast should an armored car accelerate? These are the types of questions we hope to get proposals for. This again ensures that the full game in Q3 2013 will be a better experience for those people waiting to enlist at that time.
EDIT: :stare:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 1, 2013

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
One of the things that I could never get past when trying to get into standard ArmA 2 gameplay was the overall clunkiness of the combat. I love the depth, immersion, and variety, but it felt like so many servers used mods to cover the game's shortcomings, which further complicated the game to the point of having a learning curve larger than that of the (in)famous Dwarf Fortress. I'd even read the majority of Dslyecxi's TTP2 and could not understand what was going on in a pub game, much less have fun. This is before the population of kiddies that swamped the servers post-DayZ.

I love teamwork and Coop, and can't stand it when those around me don't have a clue what they're doing. Sounds like the perfect game for me, eh? Devoting a large amount of time into learning to play a game is no obstacle for me, but it just felt like nothing could crack the nut that is proper ArmA 2 gameplay.

What I want in ArmA 3 is to be the full realisation of a brilliant idea - a triple-A development of an indie concept. Is this what I will get?

Reacon fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 1, 2013

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Same here Reacon.

I remember playing Arma 2 with people from here, although it was lagging so bad I kept dying or disconnecting, so I felt mostly relegated to just playing the Campaign scenarios, and then eventually stopped playing it completely. Hell, I finished the first campaign but I don't think I did OA or any of the DLC's.. well, partly did the PMC one but got stuck at that mission where you have to snipe the tank engines.

I'm looking forward to giving A3 MP a try so that I can enjoy similar "Holy poo poo, did you see that!?" events like in the ShackTac videos. Though I fear ever being on the wrong end of Dslyecxi's iron sights. Especially if he's got a grenade launcher..

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Holy gently caress. The out right distain, and contempt for Steam. The self-righteous and pretentious attitudes. Really? I just don't get it. Sorry but everyone should join the cult of Gaben, blessed and rotund, mighty bringer of games from thin air.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 1, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Ham posted:

A couple screenshots from the alpha, mission editor and derp:

Looks about right. I can't wait for HD Farmer Dan.

And the vehicle interiors look soooo much better. And they have working mirrors!

And modders hate steam because they want absolute freedom and that's no DRM. I'm willing to throw that out the windows for better stability, less bugs, quicker patches, and easier moddability with steamworks.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Steeltalon posted:

Holy gently caress. The out right distain, and contempt for Steam. The self-righteous and pretentious attitudes. Really? I just don't get it. Sorry but everyone should join the cult of Gaben, blessed and rotund, mighty bringer of games from thin air.

:golfclap: I still don't know what your opinion is. But I will say I don't find it odd that some people would be put off by Steam, it's usually the case with these old PC gaming communities (see Total War before Empire and even now) but in ArmA's case that hardcore community is really their main userbase. What I can actually see happening is that mods will very rarely reach the quality level offered by the in-game assets (custom reload animations, inverse kinematics, much more detailed models etc.) that quality mods will likely drop off. We've already seen this happen from OFP -> ArmA 2

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

When we get ahold of Arma iii and run it through the courses, hopefully we'll see a lot of that. Hey, we dont need this and that mod any longer, because they improved, fixed or added the functionality based on either the mod itself or because of player feed back. I don't think modding will drop off. Quality is relative.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.

Literally the first thing I will do after download is go in and blow up literally everything available in the editor.

Every. Thing.