Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, the ship captain never really felt like it fit in with everything else there either. Ship combat was fun as hell, but felt like it belonged in another game. I guess this is going to be that game?
Pirate captains go land-side all the time. There's whoring, and there's drinking, and there's pillaging, there's hunting for buried treasures, and you've always got to climb buildings to avoid the soldiery guarding the front door when leaving a warning-via-dagger-stuck-into-a-desk-holding-a-letter... clearly you need to watch more pirate movies. :yarr:

Also, I actually liked the Desmond plot. I don't give a drat about the meta-plot he's involved in, but Desmond as a character and his plucky band of blah blahs is kind of neat. I just wish he was in a less-boring-to-explore future world.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The whole Da Vinci Code metaplot is by far the worst thing about Assassin's Creed. I'd probably actually play those games beyond the couple that I have if it didn't have that.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
My favorite part of the out-of-animus stuff is how you could obviously tell that the character modelling for those parts was farmed out to lesser studios because some of the faces are loving HORRIFYING! That girl you hang around with in 3 looks like a mutant.

e: Rebecca, that was her name. God your real-world friends are so forgettable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope there's a musical interlude in the style of Curse of Monkey Island in the game. A pirate I was meant to be, trim the sails and stab some faces (early thread title nomination)

Crowbear posted:

My favorite part of the out-of-animus stuff is how you could obviously tell that the character modelling for those parts was farmed out to lesser studios because some of the faces are loving HORRIFYING! That girl you hang around with in 3 looks like a mutant.

e: Rebecca, that was her name. God your real-world friends are so forgettable.
What? You didn't like the adventures of Desmond The Human Sheet of Paper and his plucky love interest, Fish Girl in AC2/AC:B?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I thought Shaun owned and I'm gonna be sad that you're not gonna be able to have arguments with your sarcastic jackass buddy.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Stare-Out posted:

What? You didn't like the adventures of Desmond The Human Sheet of Paper and his plucky love interest, Fish Girl in AC2/AC:B?

Oh man I forgot about that. I love you Kristen, why did you let them do that to you :negative:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm in the middle of my second playthrough of AC3 and intended to skip all the modern day stuff but while you can skip cutscenes in the Animus, you can't do that with the Desmond stuff. Immersion.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Honestly, I think it's mostly that ubisoft has really cool ideas, but lovely writers that can't live up to the promise.

It's going to all make sense when Ubisoft completes it's Splinter Cell and rear end Creed cross over and it is revealed that Sam Fisher is really the projected animus memory of the first Assassin ever, drawn into the real world. The good thing will be it won't be convoluted or confusing at all.

That said, I really hated all Desmond moments in AC1, and didn't mind them in AC2, how did they screw it up in AC3 (haven't played it yet) :sigh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shalinor posted:

Pirate captains go land-side all the time. There's whoring, and there's drinking, and there's pillaging, there's hunting for buried treasures, and you've always got to climb buildings to avoid the soldiery guarding the front door when leaving a warning-via-dagger-stuck-into-a-desk-holding-a-letter... clearly you need to watch more pirate movies. :yarr:

Also, I actually liked the Desmond plot. I don't give a drat about the meta-plot he's involved in, but Desmond as a character and his plucky band of blah blahs is kind of neat. I just wish he was in a less-boring-to-explore future world.

If you're into the schlocky Hammer films, there's an entire sub-sub-genre of landlocked pirate drama films where the budget was so low that no naval battles or water element are involved. :D

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A guy from Avalanche Studios tweeted a couple of low-quality pictures and talked about "an upcoming E3 reveal"

Hmm, I wonder what the pictures could be of...

:aaaaa::fh:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey, I was thinking about running through JC2 again. This is awesome!

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Stare-Out posted:

A guy from Avalanche Studios tweeted a couple of low-quality pictures and talked about "an upcoming E3 reveal"

Hmm, I wonder what the pictures could be of...

:aaaaa::fh:

Actually, there's a solid chance that's Mad Max, not Just Cause 3. Avalanche has both games in development right now, but the rumor going around on the release date on JC3 is 2015, whereas Mad Max is likely to come out sometime near the movie, which is scheduled for 2014.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

..The Rocketeer?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

thefncrow posted:

Actually, there's a solid chance that's Mad Max, not Just Cause 3. Avalanche has both games in development right now, but the rumor going around on the release date on JC3 is 2015, whereas Mad Max is likely to come out sometime near the movie, which is scheduled for 2014.
Seriously, if it's going to be "Hey, get a Rico Rodriguez skin for preordering our Mad Max game!" then goddamn them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

thefncrow posted:

Actually, there's a solid chance that's Mad Max

Just imagine me posting all of the ejaculating penis smilies the board has to offer. Mad Max is like one of my favorite movies/settings ever in any media. Those three movies are my holy trilogy by far. A game that plays even half as good as Just Cause 2 but is in that setting is literally the best game. I realize it will likely concern the characters and situations of the new movie but I don't care.

The only other options for this sort of experience in the past were these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfbGlxPI0Po
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhCJKMrql8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Jt5HA4ygM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJV_ArmWCMw#t=1m55s

I mean seriously do you know how many times I've played these games? Thank God for Avalanche.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 28, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What if Mad Max is running on a JC2 engine and it's esentially JC 2.5?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

It would basically be the greatest game of this generation.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ineffiable posted:

Mad Max environment, JC2 style open world, oh my god :circlefap:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Just Cause 3: Fallout? Gimme gimme gimme.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

God of War: Ascension Demo - Trip Report: :barf:

Those bugs coming out of her, the severed arm, ugh. The worst the GoW games ever got was giving a titan a manicure in 3.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Ineffiable posted:

... yep, I'm totally down with this.

But - wait. Mad Max BETTER have a wire 'ting. I don't care if it's canon, he can build his wire 'ting out of scrap. But he needs one. :colbert:

EDF : "They killed the rookie!" :: Just Cause : "wire 'ting!"

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

thefncrow posted:

Given how much brown there is I'm hoping it's Mad Max. It would be really disappointing to have a new Just Cause game abandon the gorgeous tropical environment for a bland ocean of brown :(

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
JC2 had the sea of brown too, though. In fact it had everything

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Harlock posted:

..The Rocketeer?

Ha! That was my first thought as well... the guy's outfit plus the zeppelin-esque propeller in the second shot. A Rocketeer game could be neat, although nowadays it would probably end up a bit like Iron Man and Captain America mashed together given how popular those movies were.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
If Just Case 2.5/3 includes multiplayer and reasonably destructable/deformable environments, it will be the best game ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

a shameful boehner posted:

If Just Case 2.5/3 includes multiplayer and reasonably destructable/deformable environments, it will be the best game ever.

There is a mod for JC2 that adds 1000 player multiplayer and it's the best thing. I so badly want a JC sequel with multiplayer already included.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just Cause 3 is poised to become the greatest and dumbest game of all time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I said come in! posted:

There is a mod for JC2 that adds 1000 player multiplayer and it's the best thing. I so badly want a JC sequel with multiplayer already included.

Doesn't it have the problem of removing every NPC from the game world? Or did they fix that?

Edit: Also this is the PS3 thread so what the PC version can do is kind of irrelevant.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Just Cause 3 is poised to become the greatest and dumbest game of all time.

JC2 already is, so I'm always down for greater and dumber.

muscles like this? posted:

Edit: Also this is the PS3 thread so what the PC version can do is kind of irrelevant.

Is it just me or does this thread have a fair bit of the PC crowd too? I mean, just from the names I see around threads for both. My general experience is that the PC gamers lean towards PS3 since it has the most console exclusives.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I was definitely a PC person before being a PS3 person, and might still be if I sunk any money into my poor old PC. :v:

I still play a lot on it, older stuff though. Thanks Steam sales!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ugly In The Morning posted:

JC2 already is, so I'm always down for greater and dumber.

Is it just me or does this thread have a fair bit of the PC crowd too? I mean, just from the names I see around threads for both. My general experience is that the PC gamers lean towards PS3 since it has the most console exclusives.

Also, we(PC gamers) tend to get most of the 360 "exclusives" anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Also, we(PC gamers) tend to get most of the 360 "exclusives" anyway.

That's what I meant by "console exclusives". It seems the only games that come to console that don't come to PC are either PS3 stuff like Uncharted or God of War, or weird ones like Red Dead Redemption that, for whatever reason, don't hit PC but are still on PS3. Alan Wake was my only temptation for the 360, but, hey, came out on PC...like a year later, but it did it.

EDIT: Also, if someone could do me a big favor, how do I uninstall games? I think my Yakuza 4 install is hosed because it has a lot of gamebreaking freezes.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 1, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So I just got all the DLC for Asura's Wrath, beat the game through Episode 18, got S rank on enough stages, beat True Episode 18... and nothing. Episodes 19+ are paid for and downloaded, but not showing up anywhere.

Is there some kind of obscure-rear end unlock condition for Part IV? Do I need to beat the game on Hard or beat the Lost Episodes or something?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, if someone could do me a big favor, how do I uninstall games? I think my Yakuza 4 install is hosed because it has a lot of gamebreaking freezes.

Go into Game Data Utility (not Save Data Utility) and delete it. If there's a patch or DLC you'll have to re-download those.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Chalk another one up as someone who was interested in the modern-day Desmond plotline in Assassin's Creed. Well, atleast I was interested until Revelations. The whole Lucy Traitor Conspiracy was delivered terribly, and I enjoyed her character so I couldn't help but roll my eyes the entire time she's brought up in AC3. And Christ, that ending in AC3 is just... just awful.

If ACIV is going to be pirate-based, that means it will likely have more naval battles, which were Assassin's Creed III's sole positive note. I hope that the new main character has more charisma than a rock, and I hope that they actually write a reasonable story this time. The Ezio Trilogy is one of my highlights for this gaming generation, but Assassin's Creed III couldn't have failed more. I've definitely learned not to pre-order AC products after that, and I will be waiting to hear goon reviews before I lay down money for the game itself. I sperg far too much about AC3 because it really disappointed me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Grimace posted:

Chalk another one up as someone who was interested in the modern-day Desmond plotline in Assassin's Creed. Well, atleast I was interested until Revelations. The whole Lucy Traitor Conspiracy was delivered terribly, and I enjoyed her character so I couldn't help but roll my eyes the entire time she's brought up in AC3. And Christ, that ending in AC3 is just... just awful.

If ACIV is going to be pirate-based, that means it will likely have more naval battles, which were Assassin's Creed III's sole positive note. I hope that the new main character has more charisma than a rock, and I hope that they actually write a reasonable story this time. The Ezio Trilogy is one of my highlights for this gaming generation, but Assassin's Creed III couldn't have failed more. I've definitely learned not to pre-order AC products after that, and I will be waiting to hear goon reviews before I lay down money for the game itself. I sperg far too much about AC3 because it really disappointed me.

I would bet money the new guy is going to be a lot more Ezio-like. The fact they're ditching Connor so fast shows they know he wasn't very popular.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

What is so wrong with AC3? I don't play them but I've been watching my brother play it and it seems pretty much the same as the last ones.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Fonzarelli posted:

What is so wrong with AC3? I don't play them but I've been watching my brother play it and it seems pretty much the same as the last ones.
I don't get this either, I thought it was fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

It's basically a step back from the previous games in almost every way.

A lot of the basic mechanics are crappier than those found in Brotherhood. The level design is likewise poorer and several things (such as the Perfect Sync objectives) are just awful. They altered the movement mechanics to be simpler but in a way which makes them even more boring and without much in the way to make up for it. Most of the optional mechanics are poorly implimented and they really seemed to have gone for quantity over anything interesting or well-done. It also was ridiculously glitchy at launch. If you take a look at the patches they put out they're insanely long.

The story is really stupid even for an Assassin's Creed game and Connor has the charisma of a wooden plank. You spend most of the game wishing you could play as his father who at least had a personality. They basically wasted the setting entirely and the early-city America stuff was a lot less interesting than the cities from previous games. The most interesting places were the forest areas.

The boat stuff was fuckin' great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

So I just got all the DLC for Asura's Wrath, beat the game through Episode 18, got S rank on enough stages, beat True Episode 18... and nothing. Episodes 19+ are paid for and downloaded, but not showing up anywhere.

Is there some kind of obscure-rear end unlock condition for Part IV? Do I need to beat the game on Hard or beat the Lost Episodes or something?

It should be in your episode list, and look for Part IV: Nirvana. (use r1 and l1 to switch between part 1-4)

I could actually play it off a fresh copy so it has to be your download hosed up or something. (and did you install the dlc too?)

• Locked thread