Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Is there any character level gating on any of the quests or act/difficulty transitions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005
No.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So I bought 4L Windscream boots the other day for an exalt, did I overpay?

cutie
Oct 22, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

One of the key distinction of staves is that they have a higher base crit chance than any other two-handed weapon. They're basically big two-handed daggers... And you took resolute technique, which turns your crits off. Static Blows can give you shock chance without crit, but if you're running Added Fire and Hatred (which you should) you could also be freezing and burning everything at the same time. You should also know those big generic 'melee physical damage' nodes you get at the start don't apply to the projectile damage from lightning strike, neither does your strength bonus if you don't get iron grip. The lightning strike projectiles basically function as a ranged attack made with a melee weapon at 70% effectiveness (though you get three projectiles so I guess it's more like 100% with a built-in LMP), so melee damage and your strength bonus don't apply, but any bonuses for using two-handed melee weapons or staves will still be applicable. You could go through the mana regen/elemental damage early in the templar tree instead, you'd probably find it to be more effective overall.
Didn't know that's how lightning strike worked. Thanks for the info.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

NecroMonster posted:

Is there any character level gating on any of the quests or act/difficulty transitions?
It was 15 cruel, 25 ruthless, 35 merciless.
If it were 15 and 35 it wouldn't surprise me, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it were 25 35 or something now.

Mr.48 posted:

So I bought 4L Windscream boots the other day for an exalt, did I overpay?
No idea on default, but in hardcore you could easily get significantly more than without them being 4l. It doesn't cost that much to 4 sock+4l a pair anyway.

So it's probably a fair price.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 1, 2013

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

forge posted:

So who's going to join me for the 1 week race. I don't care that you are not playing 24hours a day after it starts on sunday. The main goal I want to have is getting 3-5 of us to at least mid cruel on Sunday night. I consider the lower levels the shittiest ones anyhow. Oh this is hc btw if you already didn't realize.

Vizrt I think is in from talking on irc.. who else? Also post what you will play. I'm thinking a Firetrap whatever/dual totem or EK non CI build for myself.

EDIT: it looks like the poisen and firetrap nerfs will target lower levels. I think they said the patch won't hit until the middle of the week anyhow. So this likely won't effect anyone starting on time.

I'll probably be doing the 1 week race. I don't know if I'll be on right at the start of it though. I may have something to do on Sunday.

As for what I'll be playing, I'll probably figure that out tonight or tomorrow. I was thinking a caster, maybe dual totem. I can always go LA since it's pretty easy to do well with, but I'm afraid that patch coming up may have nerfs for it. I tried an EK witch in today's 3h party and ended up #11 witch. I found EK to be pretty fun, so I'm considering it as well.

If anyone has strong builds that aren't heavily reliant on specific gear or expensive world drop gems like chain and GMP, please post them. I think those types of builds would probably be the best for playing the races without the intent of going for the top placings.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
I'm interested as well, depending on what time we're starting on Sunday. During the week I can play generally from 9 Eastern through midnight-1 AM.

As far as what i'm playing, I may do some experimenting. I'm going to look at builds. I mean, I've been playing ranger and doing fine, so I know how the class reacts, but I"m always willing to listen to ideas. I just need to learn how to survive a rush. I've survived a 3 hour solo (if slowly) but not some of the others.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm definitely interested in getting in on a race, but I have no idea what I would play. Something not melee, as I seem to get desynced roughly every second on my now-sc Marauder. Maybe some sort of cold caster, EK or LA thing. Any suggestions? I started watching a couple of the race videos that were posted in here, but only paid attention through A1.

edit: Ugh, I just realised it starts in the middle of the afternoon on Sunday. I have a ton of free time during the week, but I wouldn't really be able to start until mid-afternoon Monday.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 1, 2013

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
il probably join in on the race, might aswell roll a witch summoner that ive been planning on doing for ages

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Looks like we'll have a solid team.. I'll have all week off by random chance, so this works well for me. It's likely I'll have plenty of rares to pass on to those who fall behind.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Im considering making an ice based spell totem to go along with my LMP flame totem.
I'm thinking Arctic Breath / Freezing Pulse.

Does anyone have suggestions for good ice spells to put on a spell totem? I have no idea which would make an amazing one quite honestly.

Just noticed ice spear. Yeahh thats the ticket.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 1, 2013

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

NecroMonster posted:

Unless this has been changed, Cruel requires level 20 and Merciless I assume requires 40.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I had an extremely difficult time containing my excitement while running the first map I decided to play with a Temporal Chains mod.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

SaucyLoggins posted:

I had an extremely difficult time containing my excitement while running the first map I decided to play with a Temporal Chains mod.

I went through a map with Temporal Chains once. Took about twice as long as any other map because you r u n s o s l o w.

Never again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK, I'm pretty confused. I'm running Facebreaker with Infernal Blow, and I had previously gotten the 12% physical damage node for Maurader and noticed a large DPS boost from it. But now I took another Melee Damage node and my Infernal Blow DPS didn't change whatsoever. Adding and removing the Melee Damage gem still causes a 400 DPS change. So what's going on? Is there some kind of DPS cap I'm hitting, or is Infernal Blow's "convert physical to fire" thing creating a cap?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Just realized my account got hacked. Stole all my currency. Killed my Marauder. I hadn't logged in since they put the Security patch in place, and upon starting the game up tonight saw my Marauder was dead. Nothing I can do I guess?

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I don't think there's much you can do except start anew. That really sucks. I've been spared so far I guess.

Though if it helps, I'm an idiot and tonight I spent several Alchs on Raise Spectre, only to see it drop later on. :bang:

Not only did I overpay like crazy, but my face got rubbed in it later.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Otacon posted:

Just realized my account got hacked. Stole all my currency. Killed my Marauder. I hadn't logged in since they put the Security patch in place, and upon starting the game up tonight saw my Marauder was dead. Nothing I can do I guess?

Yeah, I don't think there's much you can do about it now, that's really lovely :(. I'm guessing you're HC from the fact that they killed your Marauder, or I'd offer you help in SC.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Slum Loser posted:

I don't think there's much you can do except start anew. That really sucks. I've been spared so far I guess.

Though if it helps, I'm an idiot and tonight I spent several Alchs on Raise Spectre, only to see it drop later on. :bang:

Not only did I overpay like crazy, but my face got rubbed in it later.

Look on the bright side! Now you can rip someone else off for it. It's the gift that keeps on taking!

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Does anyone have the Doedre's Damning unique ring that gives +1 curse for trade, on SC? I can't lock down a trade with one, weird stuff keeps happening (my recent favorite was "I'll trade for other uniques, I don't do currency yet") :confused:

I've seen 2 chaos offered for it, I'll give 1gcp. Character name is Vackuum.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Creating a dual ice spear totem build.

Could use some suggestions on gem socketing. I'm thinking Ice Spear (B) Spell Totem (R) LMP(G) Faster Casting (b) Increased Critical Damage (B)

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I need to know, does Tempest Shield work with Necromantic Aegis?

That is, if I spec into NA, will all of my minions trigger the tempest shield effect when they block a hit? I have that 40% block shield so it could make a very nice build if it works that way.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Rogue posted:

Does anyone have the Doedre's Damning unique ring that gives +1 curse for trade, on SC? I can't lock down a trade with one, weird stuff keeps happening (my recent favorite was "I'll trade for other uniques, I don't do currency yet") :confused:

I've seen 2 chaos offered for it, I'll give 1gcp. Character name is Vackuum.

Yeah, I can sell you it. Illustrate in game, logging in now :).

e: PM me a time to meet, going to log off.

Read fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 1, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I just started playing this game about a week ago, I've been playing with the build calculator and I'd like some feedback. Is a 2h sword duelist viable? Would this build: http://goo.gl/6xb0B be decent? I'd probably head down to the health and regain nodes first and then start grabbing resists & sword damage.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I just started playing this game about a week ago, I've been playing with the build calculator and I'd like some feedback. Is a 2h sword duelist viable? Would this build: http://goo.gl/6xb0B be decent? I'd probably head down to the health and regain nodes first and then start grabbing resists & sword damage.

Those little 6% all resist/15% single resist/15% single resist nodes aren't really worth it. I'd put those points elsewhere.

You'll also want to plan your build out for about 90 points at most, as getting more than that takes ages with the current content.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Melee becomes a nightmare in merciless or midawy through cruel. Not sure how a duelist with 2h would fair.

zxqv8 posted:

I need to know, does Tempest Shield work with Necromantic Aegis?

That is, if I spec into NA, will all of my minions trigger the tempest shield effect when they block a hit? I have that 40% block shield so it could make a very nice build if it works that way.

No it does not.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Something like this could maybe work. I'm not entirely sure. It really depends on the skill choices you make. You're lacking int so wrath and clarity are no-gos, you might need to link blood magic to your main attack (but this is kind of a bonus, because you can run crazy auras on mana and anger+grace on a blood magic gem with reduced mana if you want to.) I'm thinking str looks low on my revised build. I know my dual wield ranger has like 340 str, 200ish dex, and enough int to run wrath.

I'd definitely tinker with your original build and/or mine a bit before using it. It's not final build status, because clear goals aren't really laid out. What skills are you planning on using in what pieces of gear? What do you plan on linking to them? Do you have any gameplay goals (mobility, survivability, dps, lots of auras, moves fast, etc)?

Survivability wise, Endurance charges are good if you are having issues. You can help oak in merciless and pick up the one near all the stuff you already have. 25% reduction on top of your armor should lead to adequate survivability. The resist nodes are also decent fillers when you have shabby gear. You can always drop respec points in to them later, or you can orb of regret them if you have to. No big deal. Even with great gear you might grab them sometimes if you just got a killer new ring with really high life and crazy damage stats but some of your resists are a bit low as a result.

Your original build might work out fine also, but I'd definitely consider the route optimization I did near the 6% attack speed side of the duelist tree, and the life regen nodes in the center aren't really that much of a steal. Same thing with the second 8-8-12 branch. You'd likely gain more life off of hitting the 30 str, 8% life, 8% life, 8% life you missed near the ranger area.

It should be viable no problem, if that's all you were wondering.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 1, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Somebody posted this duelist 2H build earlier in the thread, and it was a lot of fun up through level 43'ish? Early act 2 Cruel. At that point I got distracted by something shiny and ran off to the next great build of the day (I've got 5 guys up to level 43/44 now, seem to get distracted at the same point and go off to reroll).

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...7826AHnpzD3vu_j

The above Duelist build uses Lightning Strike as the primary AE, and Double Strike as primary single target damage. I found a Greater Multiple Projectile gem, so lightning is everywhere!

Of course now I'm up to level 46 on a duel wield sword ranger guy, and he is murdering stuff like nobodies business, but it's harder to play due to the lower amount of life and reliance on leech/life on hit to constantly stay alive. Hell of a lot of fun though.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/90797

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

First goon to whisper me "stairs" on "SmartestMarauderEver" in hardcore gets all my goodies that weren't thieved. Bring an empty inventory.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 1, 2013

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Otacon posted:

First goon to whisper me "stairs" on "SmartestMarauderEver" in hardcore gets all my goodies that weren't thieved. Bring an empty inventory.

Claimed.

Thanks a lot mate. I need to find a build that can use that wacky unique.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Thanks for the advice everyone. So the impression I am getting is that melee basically sucks. Would a bow ranger be viable or are casters the only usable characters? Would a lightning arrow(damage)/ice shot(control) crit heavy build be ok? If so what would a good build look like? This is probably for mostly solo play btw.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

First goon on Default League (who isn't Kemi) to whisper "stairs" to "aDankChimi" gets a bunch of lovely uniques, a bunch of mid-level Support Gems, some rare necks/rings, and if you want, a bunch of scrolls/armor scraps/whetstones. Bring an empty inventory.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 1, 2013

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Otacon posted:

First goon on Default League (who isn't Kemi) to whisper "stairs" to "aDankChimi" gets a bunch of lovely uniques, a bunch of mid-level Support Gems, some rare necks/rings, and if you want, a bunch of scrolls/armor scraps/whetstones. Bring an empty inventory.

Claimed; thanks a bunch.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

Claimed.

Thanks a lot mate. I need to find a build that can use that wacky unique.

Magus42 posted:

Claimed; thanks a bunch.

You're welcome. Best luck to both of you!

DON'T GET HACKED.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I think that the only way people will get hacked now is if the hackers also have access to your email account. I got an email while at work yesterday saying someone from China had logged into my account so they locked it and sent the unlock code to my email.

Also to you guys talking about melee... Patch 10.2 is coming out next week and will have skill balancing and probably the overdue melee support skills and sword skills etc. so melee might be in a better situation soon. Although desync is still going to be awful as melee.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Suprfli6 posted:

I got an email while at work yesterday saying someone from China had logged into my account so they locked it and sent the unlock code to my email.

I got that message too...except it was me who had logged in, for I am in China now. I'm sure GGG planned on introducing this authentication feature to coincide with my work trip just to screw with me.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Also to you guys talking about melee... Patch 10.2 is coming out next week and will have skill balancing and probably the overdue melee support skills and sword skills etc. so melee might be in a better situation soon. Although desync is still going to be awful as melee.

Yea, getting my 48 Shadow that relies on jumping around through the Vaal Pyramid was miserable. I'd run out of a room to wait for my ES to regenerate and would get phantom hits and die, or suddenly teleport to the next room over in the middle of a bunch of frost mages. I eventually whirling bladed my way to the top to just not deal with it and that was a feat in and of itself with all the rubberbanding.

Its kinda sapping my will to play right now when it gets really bad.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

In almost every maps group where i supply maps someone ninjas the maps from me. Please add me if you are running maps so i don't have to be a very very sad panda. IGN: Jarohard (HC)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You're all over the place and don't really have anything to help out your resource costs. I dont see any mana, and you dont have blood magic so i'm not sure what you're aiming for there. If you want that to be more viable cut down on the small 2h nodes you have and aim towards marauder to pickup blood magic and life leech, and grab those endurance charge nodes as 5 endurance charges will do you some good. Drop the tiny nodes that are akin to 4% damage/2% aspd. Those are really small bonuses, given that 1 10str node will net you 5 hp and 2% damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Why don't I hear any mention of boss runs in this game?

With how easily you can create new instances I'd think people stack Quantity/Quality and farm something like the A2 Bandits when they're the appropriate levels. I guess the Act bosses take more time, but you could kill the Bandits a few times a minute.

• Locked thread