Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I gathered the bolded part myself, but have they done anything other than A:CM? If they were passed off a problematic project with little money or time to finish, I find it hard to imagine that's truly their fault.

They made the Kohan series, the FEAR expansion packs, and the Section 8 games.

Honestly, from all accounts they aren't a bad studio. The Kohan games were some of the best RTS games of yesteryear, and the multiplayer of both Section 8 games was remarkably well done. Yes, the singleplayer was less then steller, but it was never meant to be the focus of those games, and they've said as such. Heck, for something they've said they barely worked on, the Prejudice campaign is actually really good, and several times better then A:CM, proving they can pull it off.

I'm not really sure where he's going with that comment. From all the info that's come out on A:CM, it's currently pointing towards Gearbox and Sega as the problems, not TG. And considering Prejudice is actually a good game in both single and multiplayer, and A:CM takes no cues from that, while DNF was a shitheap, and all the design decisions of A:CM pull from that same sheet, I'm going to believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DrNutt posted:

And since when are you afraid of saying anything negative? :laugh:

It just seems to me like they got hosed over by Gearbox.

As for Tomb Raider and supernatural elements, I feel pretty comfortable in my stance that there won't be any overt supernatural elements in the game.

If I fight a zombie T-Rex or an Atlantean, I will happily admit my folly, however.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rookersh posted:

They made the Kohan series, the FEAR expansion packs, and the Section 8 games.

Honestly, from all accounts they aren't a bad studio. The Kohan games were some of the best RTS games of yesteryear, and the multiplayer of both Section 8 games was remarkably well done. Yes, the singleplayer was less then steller, but it was never meant to be the focus of those games, and they've said as such. Heck, for something they've said they barely worked on, the Prejudice campaign is actually really good, and several times better then A:CM, proving they can pull it off.

I'm not really sure where he's going with that comment. From all the info that's come out on A:CM, it's currently pointing towards Gearbox and Sega as the problems, not TG. And considering Prejudice is actually a good game in both single and multiplayer, and A:CM takes no cues from that, while DNF was a shitheap, and all the design decisions of A:CM pull from that same sheet, I'm going to believe it.

I guess it's neither here nor there, since they didn't outsource to Time Gate. I'm going to remain approximately 64% optimistic about TR multiplayer at this point.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Dan Didio posted:

That's really why I didn't want to say anything too negative. It's already near impossible to parse what blame lies where.

Prior to this, the only real credits to their name are the F.E.A.R. expansion packs and the Section 8 series.

That's the point, though. The line isn't a dig against Time Gate, it's a dig against using that as an excuse for why everything went wrong.

"I'm sorry about the wreck, Ted, but it turns out the crankshaft on your Camaro was outsourced to Time Gate."

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm aware.

As for the multiplayer, I don't know. I was a pre-release proponent of the Mass Effect multiplayer's prospective quality, but I'm definitely not getting the same vibe.

I've heard it described as a less polished version of Uncharted's competitive multiplayer, which is fairly damning with faint praise.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Great Rumbler posted:

That's the point, though. The line isn't a dig against Time Gate, it's a dig against using that as an excuse for why everything went wrong.

"I'm sorry about the wreck, Ted, but it turns out the crankshaft on your Camaro was outsourced to Time Gate."

It's me, I'm the retard who didn't get it. If it's even close to being as fun as Uncharted and there's a CoD like progression system, I can definitely see myself wasting some time with it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Dan Didio posted:

It just seems to me like they got hosed over by Gearbox.

As for Tomb Raider and supernatural elements, I feel pretty comfortable in my stance that there won't be any overt supernatural elements in the game.

If I fight a zombie T-Rex or an Atlantean, I will happily admit my folly, however.

Of course there will be supernatural elements in the game. Every Tomb Raider game has been about the supernatural. Uncharted and Indiana Jones have supernatural elements. The whole genre is predicated on the supernatural; no-one is going to explore a tomb full of deathtraps just to find a skeleton.

The previews of the game have already shown some sort of human sacrifice cult; obviously that is going to have some payoff.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
AMD just emailed me my Steam key from the Never Settle Reloaded thing.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Have there been any PC specific reviews? Was wondering whether I should go console or PC on this one, because it is fairly cheap ($45) on Steam.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

If you pre-ordered from Greenmangaming they just started sending out codes. Pre-load on Steam is 8.8gb.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Have there been any PC specific reviews? Was wondering whether I should go console or PC on this one, because it is fairly cheap ($45) on Steam.

Square didn't send out PC code for review.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
But it's Nixxes who's doing the port, so I assume it will be a great port, just like DXHR and Hitman Absolution (Even though the game wasn't that good, the port was excellent).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
A couple pages back there were some screenshots of Lara's hair using some fancy new technology developed by AMD. So even if the port sucks, the hair will look really nice!

:pcgaming:

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Is there a coupon for Green Man Gaming that will bring the price down?

Also, if I buy my key there, will it give me the unlocked incentives?

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Just a heads up, I just started preloading the game on Steam, so if anyone else is waiting, check it out.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

TheCoon posted:

If you pre-ordered from Greenmangaming they just started sending out codes. Pre-load on Steam is 8.8gb.

No sign of a key here yet, sadly. I preordered late last year, back when they had a crazy combination of discounts that knocked it down to £17. Even if I don't get the Steam bonus perks, it'll still probably be worth it at that price.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Revitalized posted:

AMD just emailed me my Steam key from the Never Settle Reloaded thing.

Dear AMD,l: when you send out codes for a game before a game releases, can you make sure they are preorder keys? Not being able to preload a 9GB game is extremely annoying.
Time to go find a torrent!

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Dominic White posted:

No sign of a key here yet, sadly. I preordered late last year, back when they had a crazy combination of discounts that knocked it down to £17. Even if I don't get the Steam bonus perks, it'll still probably be worth it at that price.

Try checking your keys page on the site? My key turned up there before they emailed me about it. I pre-ordered December 2nd so they may just be sending keys depending on when you bought the game.

The Flying Milton posted:

Is there a coupon for Green Man Gaming that will bring the price down?

Also, if I buy my key there, will it give me the unlocked incentives?

I don't know if there's a coupon floating around but if you buy it from gmg you get whatever they mention on their page, which is early access to some gun upgrade and whatever "Animal Instinct" turns out to be.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

bbcisdabomb posted:

Dear AMD,l: when you send out codes for a game before a game releases, can you make sure they are preorder keys? Not being able to preload a 9GB game is extremely annoying.
Time to go find a torrent!
It will preload, mine is. It sucks that it's not a preorder key, because the other game in that bundle (Bioshock Infinite) has a free copy of Xcom as the preorder bonus!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Giant Bomb's review was 4/5 stars but the tone of the article seemed somewhat negative.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It seems to be the current trend in game reviews (for like, a long time now) that they read very negatively but when it comes to the score it's still like 8 or 9 or something. I don't think game critics really understand what they are doing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Apparently the optional explorable tombs take about a half hour of gameplay altogether. Balls.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

DrNutt posted:

It seems to be the current trend in game reviews (for like, a long time now) that they read very negatively but when it comes to the score it's still like 8 or 9 or something. I don't think game critics really understand what they are doing.
Honestly most of the criticism that he directs of that game really wouldn't necessarily detract from the enjoyment of it which its why its probably rated so highly.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, critics are being especially critical of this game because it's a highly controversial reboot (especially considering the PR clusterfuck surrounding it), and there doesn't seem to have been any of the PR lock-step stuff that surrounded DmC. More often than not it's also getting given to the more outspoken female reviewers for each site, and they're picking it apart for issues.

At the end of the day, they still can't find much to seriously complain about, other than there being a degree of thematic/gameplay disconnect (and that's going to be the case for almost any action game for quite some time to come), and the now-seemingly-mandatory trend of popping up a reward message every time you do anything.

I think it's a good sign if they're being so serious about it, but still ending up declaring it a good/great game. The reviewer over at The Escapist was talking about it at length in the comments/forum thread after the review, and mentioned that as jarring as it might have felt to transition from terrified survivor to murder-tornado, she really liked the combat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MadScientistWorking posted:

Honestly most of the criticism that he directs of that game really wouldn't necessarily detract from the enjoyment of it which its why its probably rated so highly.

It really sounds like he's pointing out pretty clearly that the story is at times at odds with the gameplay, but that's something this thread had pretty well assumed pages ago.

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, critics are being especially critical of this game because it's a highly controversial reboot (especially considering the PR clusterfuck surrounding it), and there doesn't seem to have been any of the PR lock-step stuff that surrounded DmC. More often than not it's also getting given to the more outspoken female reviewers for each site, and they're picking it apart for issues.

At the end of the day, they still can't find much to seriously complain about, other than there being a degree of thematic/gameplay disconnect (and that's going to be the case for almost any action game for quite some time to come), and the now-seemingly-mandatory trend of popping up a reward message every time you do anything.

I think it's a good sign if they're being so serious about it, but still ending up declaring it a good/great game. The reviewer over at The Escapist was talking about it at length in the comments/forum thread after the review, and mentioned that as jarring as it might have felt to transition from terrified survivor to murder-tornado, she really liked the combat.

Oh, come the gently caress on. Like those aren't a legit thing to discuss in a Tomb Raider game of all things, especially one hoping to reboot the series in a "more serious, mature" direction.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 1, 2013

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

notZaar posted:

It will preload, mine is. It sucks that it's not a preorder key, because the other game in that bundle (Bioshock Infinite) has a free copy of Xcom as the preorder bonus!

That's good to know, I didn't see the option earlier. I'm more bummed about missing the scavenger hunt thing that's going on since that seems kinda cool.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That review is pretty even-handed. I don't really get a 'negative' vibe from it and all of the criticisms seem entirely fair.

Also, I'm not sure what 'picking it apart for issues' is supposed to mean in this context, that's what a review is.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Oh, come the gently caress on. Like those aren't a legit thing to discuss in a Tomb Raider game of all things, especially one hoping to reboot the series in a "more serious, mature" direction.

You misunderstand me. I think it's a great thing. I'm one of those guys constantly being yelled at for being a 'white knight' or 'feminazi sympathizer' for having the nerve to suggest that women might want to have a say in this industry, or even just be considered as equals.

Lara Croft is one of the few female videogame icons out there. Having the women of the industry have their say about how well they've handled the reboot is a very good idea.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

DrNutt posted:

A couple pages back there were some screenshots of Lara's hair using some fancy new technology developed by AMD. So even if the port sucks, the hair will look really nice!

:pcgaming:

What is it with Square and hair? Not that I'm complaining because it looks cool. Hopefully the port is good because I couldn't justify 60 dollars over effectively 28.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Winks posted:

What is it with Square and hair? Not that I'm complaining because it looks cool. Hopefully the port is good because I couldn't justify 60 dollars over effectively 28.

Hair is something a lot of developers ignore because it's really really hard. A big reason that so many protagonists are short-haired, bald, or wearing helmets/hoodies/ect is because it gives them a convenient excuse to not have to try to make hair not look like poo poo. It's less that Square has a thing for hair and more than most developers just don't give a poo poo so any focus on making hair look good is surprising.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Hair is something a lot of developers ignore because it's really really hard. A big reason that so many protagonists are short-haired, bald, or wearing helmets/hoodies/ect is because it gives them a convenient excuse to not have to try to make hair not look like poo poo. It's less that Square has a thing for hair and more than most developers just don't give a poo poo so any focus on making hair look good is surprising.

I'm waiting on the next-gen cloak technology, myself.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The reason Lara's ponytail was cut short in the original Tomb Raider was because they couldn't make it look right with the technology of the time, so yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how they pull off that extra detail in the PC version.

On a general note, I'd actually love to see more games given the same degree of scrutiny that TR has. The reviews so far have been far more insightful and rightfully critical than average.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dominic White posted:

You misunderstand me. I think it's a great thing. I'm one of those guys constantly being yelled at for being a 'white knight' or 'feminazi sympathizer' for having the nerve to suggest that women might want to have a say in this industry, or even just be considered as equals.

Lara Croft is one of the few female videogame icons out there. Having the women of the industry have their say about how well they've handled the reboot is a very good idea.

Well, your next paragraph went on the say how much the game was going to rule and that you weren't worried about the reviews, so... I guess that's why I misunderstood you?

Personally I think the game looks enjoyable enough; not perfect, but a step in the right direction. A baby step, maybe, but I hope it does well enough that we see continued improvements.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Really, really, really hard. Like "Pixar renders hair at two frames per day" hard.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I read 9's as "pretty fun for the most part" and 8's as "painfully average but playable if you like the genre". Anything less than an 8 is basically saying the game is trash and should be avoided.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

p.crestmont posted:

Yeah, I read 9's as "pretty fun for the most part" and 8's as "painfully average but playable if you like the genre". Anything less than an 8 is basically saying the game is trash and should be avoided.

This is how most people handle review scores but it's not entirely accurate. A "9" means "everybody will probably love this game even if they don't like X gameplay style", an "8" means "still really good but you may not like it if you don't like X", "7" means the game is flawed enough that unless you love a franchise or the gameplay style you'll likely hate it.

A 6 is basically a coin flip and anything below that is "complete garbage".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

p.crestmont posted:

Honestly I rarely read reviews these days. If there's a game that I'm not totally sure of, I'll just wait for it to come out and see what the goon consensus is. It doesn't always work, especially for deeply divisive games like Deadly Premonition, but I know what I like and it's pretty easy to seperate the chaff from the wheat in opinions.

edit: I will agree that these early reviews for Tomb Raider are heartening in their depth and how readily they are addressing the story/gameplay disconnect.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Tewratomeh posted:

This is how most people handle review scores but it's not entirely accurate. A "9" means "everybody will probably love this game even if they don't like X gameplay style", an "8" means "still really good but you may not like it if you don't like X", "7" means the game is flawed enough that unless you love a franchise or the gameplay style you'll likely hate it.

A 6 is basically a coin flip and anything below that is "complete garbage".

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant I just stated it a little more cynically I guess.

And DrNutt I know what you mean, I do read reviews but not for the scores or to tell me I'll like it, more just for general information. It's just that it seems like every single AAA title gets a 9+ and it's this silly "Everything is Awesome!!" uncritical approach that grinds my gears.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

DrNutt posted:

It really sounds like he's pointing out pretty clearly that the story is at times at odds with the gameplay, but that's something this thread had pretty well assumed pages ago.

Yeah he basically said on the podcast that they approach really hyperbolic and insane lengths to make the game dark and gritty which kind of detracts from it especially when they reach flat out lethal levels of inflicted injuries.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

quote:

Lara Croft’s traumatic gap-year adventure has been well received by our counterparts on console, and we were hoping to be able to start providing you with our impressions of the PC version today. Unfortunately, we’ve been told by Square Enix that code for the PC version won’t be issued until Tuesday, when the game goes on sale – so expect our verdict to fall in the latter half of next week.

Crystal Dynamics are reportedly unwilling to let the game out into the wild until it’s ready. Perhaps they’re worried about Lara’s PC-exclusive hair going haywire – we don’t know. Delays like this don’t always indicate a problem with the product, but they do prevent us from telling you one way or another before you lay down your hard-earned cash.

Why we (still) haven’t reviewed Tomb Raider - PC Gamer

They were supposed to get the PC version on the 25th; would be interesting to know why it's not going out until the release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The way I see it, review scores are meaningless and they should just give the highest possible to make a mockery of the industry not paying its developers.

• Locked thread