Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Faerie Fortune posted:

Astronomy is my passion but good lord is it scary.

The Heat Death of the Universe scares the crap out of me. It comes from the second law of thermodynamics, which states:

Basically what this means in laymans terms is that as the universe gets older and older, it will lose more and more energy as entropy increases. Eventually when it gets old enough it will decay into nothing. It just scares me a little bit that something as vast and extensive as the universe can actually die. Don't worry though, it's not scheduled to happen for another 10^100 years.

On that note, Black Holes are pretty frightening things. Their gravity is so strong that light, the fastest known thing in the universe, can't escape it. That's a lot of gravity. But what's most unnerving is that they're basically invisible. The only way we can spot them is by watching for the gravitational lensing effect that happens as a result of the massive amounts of gravity around the hole literally bending light around it, or by the matter being sucked into it lighting up with the friction caused by the high speeds. Ironically, these accretion disks are some of the brightest things in the universe that we know of..
made a dumb joke about Muse album titles

Paperback Writer has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

jalopybrown posted:

This cannibalism and proteins discussion reminded me of Kuru and some slightly more worrying, assuming you haven't ate brains, titbit that I learned. Kuru appeared to have 2 waves of death and there was a correlation between some genes which appear to have affected the incubation period, the same genes as the early Kuru deaths have been found to be the same as vCJD deaths leading some to believe there may be a second wave within the next few decades, hope none of you ever had some BSE beef.

I cant remember where I read this, but apparently Humans have genes that offer resistance to disease that you can only catch by eating human brains, so we are all decended from cannibals. Yay!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

I cant remember where I read this, but apparently Humans have genes that offer resistance to disease that you can only catch by eating human brains, so we are all decended from cannibals. Yay!

The wiki article on Kuru mentioned that some of the people who lived in the areas affected by the disease had possibly developed a resistant protein form as a response to it in a remarkably short amount of time as far as natural selection goes. Perhaps that's what you meant?

(even if not I still think it's neat :))

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Sagebrush posted:

e: okay so I worked it out. 30 tonnes of liquid steel works out to 137 cubic feet of the stuff. A normal locker room needs about 10-20 square feet per person; let's assume that cause it's China they go on the small end, making it 300 square feet. Assuming all the steel went directly into the locker room, that's about five and a half inches of molten steel puddled up on the floor. Certainly fatal, but not enough to "engulf" and completely destroy everything in the room, especially if the people were jumping on things and climbing to try and get away. Probably the people died of shock from the massive burn trauma and then fell into the steel, disfiguring them but leaving behind charred remains.

:eng99:

Jesus Christ :stonk:

Here's one that isn't on Wikipedia but is loving scary.

:nms: Spam Factory's Dirty Secret :nms:

People who worked in a spam factory on the brain machine ended up getting really, really sick from inhaling the pulverized mist because pig brains are apparently very similar to human brains. So naturally, Hormel fired them.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well maybe that's what they get for stealing.

UUriffic
Jul 14, 2007

Every society has the criminals it deserves.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The wiki article on Kuru mentioned that some of the people who lived in the areas affected by the disease had possibly developed a resistant protein form as a response to it in a remarkably short amount of time as far as natural selection goes. Perhaps that's what you meant?

(even if not I still think it's neat :))

That's one hypothesis, and one that's certainly very plausible. It would make sense that because of the frequency of cannibalism in human history physical adaptation would be fairly quick for a certain portion of the population. If it happened within one or two generations, it likely wasn't a wholesale genetic transformation, but exposure to the protein caused a particular set of previously unused genetic materials to produce the resistant protein form. That there was, at least in this particular population,a dormant set of genetic material which developed over hundreds of generations through cannibalism (a history all humans share), that when exposed to the pathogenic protein activated to produce the resistant protein, is probably the most likely physical explanation. If cultural variance/adaptation can be ruled out (which would be the simplest answer) I'd say the physical explanation is the most likely overall.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

platedlizard posted:

Sky-burial is one of the reasons why I'm always kinda doubtful anytime there's a new "humans totally ate each other!!" discovery based on human bones that show signs of butchering. If you examined the bones of Tibetans who were sky-buried you'd find that while they were butchered as well. They just weren't fed to human beings. Show me some human poop containing human myoglobin and then I'll believe you. Speaking of which:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Wash

That's right, a protein that's usually only found in human muscle was discovered in a cooking pot and human poop. Yum.

The thing that's frustrating is that you never know why people were eaten. Was it a starvation situation? Or was it a ritual of some kind? Did they eat the people they killed in battle? Or did they eat great warriors/shamans/wise women/chiefs to absorb some of their power? Did they eat little kids so they could be reborn? Was it something else? There's no way to tell.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

UUriffic posted:

That's one hypothesis, and one that's certainly very plausible. It would make sense that because of the frequency of cannibalism in human history physical adaptation would be fairly quick for a certain portion of the population. If it happened within one or two generations, it likely wasn't a wholesale genetic transformation, but exposure to the protein caused a particular set of previously unused genetic materials to produce the resistant protein form. That there was, at least in this particular population,a dormant set of genetic material which developed over hundreds of generations through cannibalism (a history all humans share), that when exposed to the pathogenic protein activated to produce the resistant protein, is probably the most likely physical explanation. If cultural variance/adaptation can be ruled out (which would be the simplest answer) I'd say the physical explanation is the most likely overall.

I really doubt development of Kuru resistance was Lamarckian.

The wikipedia article says it takes 5-20 years for symptoms to develop after consuming the prion. It's even kills children. And this is with the resistance allele. God knows how quickly it would develop if a random european person were to partake in it. That's enough time to kill you before breeding age. What's probably happening now is that many people are carriers, and even if they die of unrelated causes, their kuru prion were getting transferred to others in the community.

Stop this particular prion from spreading by ending this funeral rite, it dies off.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
It's burred under this Wikipedia page, but I always liked the story about Marcus McDilda.

He was a P-51 pilot that was shot down over Japan the day after Hiroshima was bombed and since the Japanese military was no doubt pissed about it and wanted to know more they tortured the poo poo out of him for information regarding the American atomic bombs. He knew nothing about the bomb or even that one was used the day before and it was only when a Japanese soldier came in and threatened to behead him that he realized that he would be killed if he didn't start making poo poo up about the bomb so he did. He told them all about how the US perfected a way to separate positive and negative charges between a lead sheet and that when dropped the sheet was removed and the atomic explosion would occur along with telling them that the US has hundreds of atomic bombs ready to drop, when in fact the US only really had the three original ones. He gets immediately marked as a high priority prisoner and transported to Tokyo after lying through his teeth and tells his captors that the next target is Tokyo in about 2-3 days shortly after they are informed of the bombing of Nagasaki, which is convenient for him since the 50 other American POW's he was originally imprisoned with were all killed a few days later by the Japanese. When he gets to Tokyo he is taken to be questioned by an American educated Japanese physicist about the inner workings of the bomb so that they can defend against it. Lucky for him again the physicist is also a pacifist and when McDilda confesses that he doesn't know poo poo about the bomb, the physicist laughs and covers for him telling his superiors that everything the American is saying is true, and that they have hundreds more bombs ready to be dropped, and that there is no defense against this new super weapon.

At about midnight that night the Emperor of Japan, fully presented with full knowledge of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki as well as the information that McDilda lied through his teeth about future bombings, starts making preparations for surrender.

UUriffic
Jul 14, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

I really doubt development of Kuru resistance was Lamarckian.
What I presented was not the reason for the termination of Kuru, but rather the possible process by which a possible limited biological resistance in a certain number of individuals developed in such a short time. Very seldom is their the sole reason to any complex process. When I was speaking of a physical reason rather than a cultural one, I was speaking of why these individuals appeared able to have some resistance to the prion (thus that resistance shown in these individuals hypothesized to have biological resistance was not one due to cultural variation or some similar cause)

First, You use the word "Lamarckian". I don't think it means what you think it means. Lamarckian evolution is the (now mostly debunked) theory that characteristics acquired during an organism's lifetime are directly passed down to offspring. So for example, a knee injury or the ability to play an instrument, which was not originally biologically encoded in the parent, is directly biologically encoded in the offspring.

What I'm talking about is a model similar to the evidence of biological resistance many modern individuals from European backgrounds show to smallpox. Smallpox, having been more or less eradicated from most Western countries around 1900 (worldwide around 1970), is no longer a part of daily life, and thus neither is the need to produce the particular proteins that make up antibodies. Obviously, as smallpox only exists within laboratories (and obvious ethical reasons) there is no way to directly test resistance, however they still have the capacity to produce those antibodies (as evidenced by their particular genomes).

I would argue that the quickness with which the limited biological resistance developed is because it was already encoded in their genome (developed not through Lamarckian means, but through hundreds of generations of genetic mutation and selective pressures during a time perhaps long past where there was exposure to a prion of similar structure), it was simply dormant until the need to develop the particular protein in resistance to the prion took place due to infection.

UUriffic has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Mar 3, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tex Avery posted:

More scary rail accidents - how about the crash in Southall, England? A guy running a high speed passenger train bent down to grab something in his bag, missed a red signal, and collided with a train of cement hoppers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southall_rail_crash

What's unique about this accident was that it was captured on closed circuit television from an industry whose property bordered the railways. Note the coach that gets bent in half towards the upper left corner of the video. From start to finish, the whole accident is only eight seconds long, but it killed seven people and injured 139.

Obviously, both of the following links are :nms: because it's a train crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3a7DvXlojA

Watching that video, I am astounded that only 7 people were killed. That car that shoots up into the air and then accordions against the light post :stonk:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Dude, Lamarckian evolution haven't been used to describe the diversity of life nor the genome for centuries*. I called your description of the events Lamarckian because it's so teleological.

"If it happened within one or two generations, it likely wasn't a wholesale genetic transformation, but exposure to the protein caused a particular set of previously unused genetic materials to produce the resistant protein form."

It's not a case of some individuals already having the resistance gene but producing the wild-type protein, then the resistant protein suddenly kicking into gear the moment they get exposed to the pathogenic prion. Because that's not how natural selection works. The proper way to describe what was happening was that amongst the diversity of people in that area, a certain number had a mutated brain protein. They would have made this variant protein their entire life, prion or no prion. This was a Glycine-to-Valine single amino acid change, both amino acids are neutral and non-polar, it's probably not deleterious. Therefore, there was no selection against it, and hence it persisted within the community for hundreds to thousands of years.

As Kuru spread from patient zero (who had the bad luck of spontaneously mutating the pathogenic prion in his head (and which he may not even have died of)), the prion moved through the community at the rate of which people died off. So in other words, slowly at first, but accelerating over time as people died exponentially from the disease. At the same time, the people who made this resistant protein didn't die off, and hence they had a selective advantage. This continued until the proportion of people with the resistant protein made up ~60% of the population. If this had continued for another couple of hundred years, almost everybody would have carried the resistant protein.

The real surprising thing is that so many resistants made up such a large proportion of the population so quickly. How could that be? Well, it could just be dumb luck, perhaps the mutant protein made up such a large proportion of the population because the population went through a genetic bottleneck when the Fore's ancestors arrived. Founder effects aren't unknown. Or perhaps the prion resistance gene conferred another benefit against another cause of death in another way. What's not clear is that there was any selection by the pathogenic prion long before the 1900s.

Things of note regarding cannibalism. While it has a long history, there's little evidence it is widespread, and hence it is unlikely that it and the diseases it could potentially spread were a major selection factor. If someone was a cannibal, it probably happened once or twice, and there's little chance it could spread these kind of prion diseases into the wider community (not to mention that the choice cuts of the cannibal are muscle tissue, which have low levels of potentially prioned proteins).

Finally, regarding your description of smallpox, you are mixing up resistance and immunological memory. Yes, people with the CCR5 mutation are probably resistant to smallpox. However, the ability to produce neutralising antibodies against smallpox virus requires that person to have been innoculated with smallpox itself (or its vaccinating cousins).

So what's happening was that the CCR5 mutation was conferring a degree of resistance to the person, increasing the chances that they would survive the initial infection. Afterwards, thanks to adaptive immunity, their anti-smallpox antibodies will provide them with protection for the rest of their lives. This is not an all or nothing thing, lacking this resistance allele did not guarantee you'd die, you'd just have a higher relative risk of failing to fight off the initial infection. And there's no direct evidence that the resistance allele guaranteed protection from the smallpox virus.

So what happens now that smallpox is no longer a part of our microbial milleau? Of course people can't make anti-smallpox antibodies if they've never been exposed to it. But the CCR5 mutation persists, because I doubt there is any selection pressure against it.

*Yes yes, epigenetics, but that doesn't modify the actual genome itself, just what genes are silenced or not.

Ha. Ahaha. Ha. Ha. Can we post this reason absolutely everywhere every single time someone mentions "gotta torture terrorists just in case there is a buried bus full of schoolkids with a bomb". Preferably whenever Scalia is mentioned.

Phobophilia has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Mar 3, 2013

UUriffic
Jul 14, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

So what's happening was that the CCR5 mutation was conferring a degree of resistance to the person, increasing the chances that they would survive the initial infection. Afterwards, thanks to adaptive immunity, their anti-smallpox antibodies will provide them with protection for the rest of their lives. This is not an all or nothing thing, lacking this resistance allele did not guarantee you'd die, you'd just have a higher relative risk of failing to fight off the initial infection. And there's no direct evidence that the resistance allele guaranteed protection from the smallpox virus.

So what happens now that smallpox is no longer a part of our microbial milleau? Of course people can't make anti-smallpox antibodies if they've never been exposed to it. But the CCR5 mutation persists, because I doubt there is any selection pressure against it.

I don't see how this in anyway contradicts my point, or how I am conflating resistance with immunological memory. You say:

"Finally, regarding your description of smallpox, you are mixing up resistance and immunological memory. Yes, people with the CCR5 mutation are probably resistant to smallpox. However, the ability to produce neutralising antibodies against smallpox virus requires that person to have been innoculated with smallpox itself (or its vaccinating cousins)."

Yes, and the occurrence of the production of the resistant protein required that the individual were introduced to the prion. I never presented it as an all or nothing thing, I was only presenting a possible process by which a small number of the population might have been biologically resistant who were shown to be resistant (in addition to other still valid, still present cultural reasons). And actually, the reason so many still died who had the resistance allele (as you've argued) can be adequately explained by the smallpox model I presented. As you wrote "This is not an all or nothing thing, lacking this resistance allele did not guarantee you'd die, you'd just have a higher relative risk of failing to fight off the initial infection. And there's no direct evidence that the resistance allele guaranteed protection from the smallpox virus."

I think we're talking past each other a bit. Yes, in my first post I used more simplistic terms because this is a non-academic forum. However, as I clearly stated in my second post, there is very seldom the reason to the resolution of any particular process, and this holds especially true of disease. If you reread my second post, I think you will find far more nuance than you are giving me credit for.

Edit: To clarify, as I think this might have been the primary place I misrepresented myself in my first post: when I was talking about "the most likely reason" for resistance I was speaking of it in terms of what is the primary (not only) means of resistance only in the population that showed the presence of this allele prior to the point at which funerary practices were altered. Again, as this is a non-academic forum, I didn't feel the need to use the same precision of language I would use for a class paper or for a paper for publication.

UUriffic has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Mar 3, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Pyf semantics and dick waving

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If we're allowed to post talk-pages this could even be on-topic.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Freudian posted:

If we're allowed to post talk-pages this could even be on-topic.

Talk pages are some of the most disturbing places on Wikipedia.

UUriffic
Jul 14, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Welcome to academia :)

Also, talk pages are the new scathing book reviews.

UUriffic has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Mar 4, 2013

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

RNG posted:

Weird seeing this. I grew up one town over from this, and all I remember is that it was something we never, ever brought up. As far as Hamlet being more or less stuck in the late 19th century, still true.

Rockingham? If so, accept my condolences. Me personally, I find it a hoot that both this and Pee Wee Gaskins popped up in this thread, as they fueled much breakfast-table banter between my parents when I was a kid.

Anyway, so as not to completely derail, enjoy another nice story about North Carolina, specifically the one about the atomic bomb still buried 180 feet underneath a farm field near Goldsboro

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

Frostwerks posted:

:nms: and :nws: as all hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

I'd say it's exactly what it sounds like if I were a liar. There's... no burial.

e: and to be perfectly fair to folks, yes, there is a dead body on that page.

Cut myself into pieces, this is my funeral
Excarnation, no breathing Don't give a gently caress if some predators eat me.

I'm sorry.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Oppenheimer posted:

Cut myself into pieces, this is my funeral
Excarnation, no breathing Don't give a gently caress if some predators eat me.

I'm sorry.

Excarnation really is the best word ever.

In other news, this was posted in the Deep-Sea Megathread. It's a TED talk about shooting giant squid in the deep. http://youtu.be/rXkOPv3wVZw

The squid in that video are a tall a a two-story tall house.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Kevin Ray Underwood.

Transcript of his confession.

quote:

Warning: The following document is a written transcript of the taped confession by Kevin Underwood of the murder of 10-year-old Jamie Rose Bolin, his upstairs neighbor. Readers should be advised that the document contains graphic violence and perverse sexual language, as he describes the details of the killing, and his fantasy of abducting, torturing, raping, and mutilating the child before eating her flesh.

Super hosed up.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
He was a goon too.

Yyyyyyyep.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
As awful as the sexually sadistic serial killers are, there is something even more unsettling about systematic sexual abuse that somehow manages to be covert and involve a lot of people doing really bad poo poo or looking the other way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_slavery

tower time posted:

One of the most unnerving pages to me is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Amy_Lynn_Bradley , which is expanded upon here: :nws: http://www.hyscience.com/archives/2005/11/strikehysciencestrike_dr_phil_on_amy_bradley.php :nws:

Summary is that a young woman goes missing during a carribean cruise with her family shortly because the boat docks on the island of curacoa. It seems unlikely she drowned at sea and was last seen in the company of a member of the ship's band. Periodic sightings come in from the island, including a sailor saying she approached him in a brothel after identifying herself and asking for help. The pictures on the website compare pictures taken of her before the cruise with images posted on a site advertising prostitutes. She's been missing for 14 years now, and is likely in sexual slavery on an island not that far from the United States. Scary scary poo poo.

I spent the last few days reading through the thread and this story is keeping me up at night more than anything else. You hear the plot line of a movie like "Taken" and scoff a little because that doesn't really happen to Western tourists, right? And then here's this girl who just graduated college with a basketball scholarship on vacation with her parents. I don't understand how an adult woman (an educated athlete, no less) can be held against her will for years. Those pictures (preumably of her) posted in that second link will haunt me for a long time.

The quote from the sailor who met her in 2005 is the most heartbreaking and confusing part:

quote:

MSNBC --- A Naval person who went to a brothel on Curacao said that Amy asked him for help, told him her name. She said, "My name is Amy Bradley. Please help me." He didn't know anybody was missing. He told her there was a naval ship five minutes down the dock that she could leave. And she said, "No, you don't understand. Please help me. My name is Amy Bradley." At that time, two men in the bar removed her, told her to move and go upstairs.
http://www.amybradley.net/updates.htm

Seriously, I don't understand, and it freaks me the gently caress out.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The first time I read this it really hosed me up...I got to the part of him talking about how she kept saying "I'm sorry, God I'm sorry" like she did something wrong and had to stop because I got so emotional. Nobody deserves that, especially not a child, and it's sickening that people like this guy exist. :smith:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ozz81 posted:

The first time I read this it really hosed me up...I got to the part of him talking about how she kept saying "I'm sorry, God I'm sorry" like she did something wrong and had to stop because I got so emotional. Nobody deserves that, especially not a child, and it's sickening that people like this guy exist. :smith:

Yeah, words failed me when I read that. They still do, actually.

That poor, poor, poor kid.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

He was a goon too.

Yyyyyyyep.

Say what?

Intergalactik
Nov 29, 2004

I could've sworn you would wait for me

From what I remember around that time, there was a lot of speculation that he was a goon, but I'm pretty sure there never was any proof. His blog was here:
http://futureworldruler.blogspot.co.uk/

Click around in the archives for stuff he actually wrote, but it is quite boring. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a goon, that was just the rumor because he was an internet user and there are a lot of self-hating goons, or something.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Intergalactik posted:

From what I remember around that time, there was a lot of speculation that he was a goon, but I'm pretty sure there never was any proof. His blog was here:
http://futureworldruler.blogspot.co.uk/

Click around in the archives for stuff he actually wrote, but it is quite boring. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a goon, that was just the rumor because he was an internet user and there are a lot of self-hating goons, or something.

If you have archives Lowtax says he wasn't in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1852770&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16

Edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&username=mok uses an AIM that is said to be his on the blog and the location & occupation match so maybe he was but he stopped posting a year before, can someone check his rap sheet?

jalopybrown has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Mar 7, 2013

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I played an online game with this guy and had a lot of friends that were pretty close to him. It's pretty sickening to see what he was capable of after presenting himself as totally normal for so long.

Content: the Tuskegee syphilis experiments. The Public Health service took 600 rural African American men, almost a full third of whom did not have syphilis prior to the experiment, and under the guise of treating them for 'bad blood' monitored the progression of the disease. Scientists withheld information about actual treatements from participants who were in their study, leading to wives contracting it and children born with congenital syphilis. The study continued for 40 years until 1972 when the press got wind of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

edit: the tagline on Kevin Ray Underwood's blog: "Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, and don't take crap from anybody." This does not apply if what you like is eating little girls.

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Mar 7, 2013

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

I couldn't even get past the bit where he explained how he'd fantasize and stuff before I literally had to vomit and close it and I still feel incredibly uneasy 20 minutes later. I think that poo poo shattered my psyche. Good loving lord. Nobody read this. Ever.

Intergalactik
Nov 29, 2004

I could've sworn you would wait for me

jalopybrown posted:

If you have archives Lowtax says he wasn't in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1852770&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16

Edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&username=mok uses an AIM that is said to be his on the blog and the location & occupation match so maybe he was but he stopped posting a year before, can someone check his rap sheet?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=28048

Hacked account, banned in 2006, last post was in 2004. My guess is that it wasn't him, just someone edited that account's info to cause a stir and then got banned.

The thing that grabs my attention in that transcript--outside of the horrible descriptions of his monstrous crime--is that he suggests there is a link between his growing cannibalistic fantasies and his medication. The fantasies started/intensified as he continued with this drug that was meant to treat his anxiety and depression. Still slogging through the text, but it really sticks out to me, and it is kind of a shame that it didn't get followed up on at all. Makes me think of that kid who flew a plane into a building because he was on Accutane.

I find it so unnerving that someone can kind of just become insane, whether through drug use or just late onset mental illness.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Intergalactik posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=28048

Hacked account, banned in 2006, last post was in 2004. My guess is that it wasn't him, just someone edited that account's info to cause a stir and then got banned.

The thing that grabs my attention in that transcript--outside of the horrible descriptions of his monstrous crime--is that he suggests there is a link between his growing cannibalistic fantasies and his medication. The fantasies started/intensified as he continued with this drug that was meant to treat his anxiety and depression. Still slogging through the text, but it really sticks out to me, and it is kind of a shame that it didn't get followed up on at all. Makes me think of that kid who flew a plane into a building because he was on Accutane.

I find it so unnerving that someone can kind of just become insane, whether through drug use or just late onset mental illness.

He also seems to blame Internet Porn. Seems to me the far more likely scenario is his hosed up thoughts and desires are what lead to the anxiety and such, and the medications were treating the symptoms and not the problems. And also of course you can 'become insane', it's not like a ton of people come out of the womb cannibals.

At least I have to believe this because I certainly don't want to slowly develop into a cannibal and I've taken those medications before

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Some mental illnesses don't onset until well into adulthood. Schizophrenia doesn't usually show until 18-25, most mood disorders in the 30s. linky. The human brain is pretty boggling sometimes.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

He was a goon too.

Yyyyyyyep.

The only goons that are confirmed murderers are forbiddenforum and Bomber166. As far as I know there hasn't been any other goons that have killed.

Yes, I know it's morbid of me to know this but, hey, I do.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Susan_Powell

Susan Powell mysteriously disappears, her husband and father-in law is believed to be behind it but it is never confirmed. Then the husband commits suicide with their two children by burning down during a supervised visit last year.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

The only goons that are confirmed murderers are forbiddenforum and Bomber166. As far as I know there hasn't been any other goons that have killed.

What about that fella who stabbed some homeless guy who started to ask him a question? Can't recall his name, he got a nice OJ avatar and big red title text for awhile.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
I first saw this one on Unsolved Mysteries a few years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Bishop

Intelligent, well-traveled guy, fluent in 5 languages, who after not getting a promotion at the State Department decides to kill his entire family and burn their bodies. He apparently killed his wife and kids while his mother was out walking the family dog, then killed her when she came back to the house. The dog survived, according to witnesses who saw him with it a couple days later.

He's been seen a number of times in Europe, and either he or someone claiming to be him was corresponding with an American prisoner until recently.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

What about that fella who stabbed some homeless guy who started to ask him a question? Can't recall his name, he got a nice OJ avatar and big red title text for awhile.

That would be Graves. Apparently he might the first murderer on the forums!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

Huh interesting. I didn't know the Underwood being a goon thing was an internet urban legend, interesting; I remember reading that in the thread where they posted the transcript, when it first came out. I can see how it got around though, with the fake Underwood posting on the forums...

Also you're in what is basically the morbid thread for morbid things so don't feel bad.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 06:04 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

magic pantaloons posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Susan_Powell

Susan Powell mysteriously disappears, her husband and father-in law is believed to be behind it but it is never confirmed. Then the husband commits suicide with their two children by burning down during a supervised visit last year.

I'm pretty sure being axed in the head is what did the kids in. Burning down the trailer was just the finishing touch.

• Locked thread