Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

I run a multiplayer squad of 3 basic assaults with alloy cannons and chitin plating. Thus they all have 11 HP, can run and gun, and deal 9 damage on a close range shot without a crit. They cost 2650 points each for a total of 7950, which leaves me 2050 points. Currently I have those points spent on a medic support with a medkit (duh), light plasma rifle, and laser pistol. Any recommendations for a better spending of those points?

Medics are great, but I suggest dropping it for a Smokejumper with LPR and Scope and 2 Sectoids. And after that I think I would actually drop 1 sectoid and replace all the Chitin with Combat Stims. I might also replace at least 1 of the Alloy Cannons with a Plasma Rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I cannot loving deal with how long everything takes in Marathon...but I have to keep playing it till I beat it. The hardest part is how long it takes before you realize you're hosed and wasted your time. Oh, did one of your soldiers get shot once? 28 days in the infirmary. Oh you want to build an uplink? 28 days. Oh yeah, don't loving start in Asia in Marathon. gently caress.

Edit: And oh yeah, don't loving play the DLC missions in Marathon, you have to keep delaying counsel missions because you're not ready to deal with mutons and thereby foregoing what would have otherwise been an awesome opportunity to get stuff from the regular counsel missions. Which you really loving need when it includes troops and engineers and scientists and...gently caress.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 1, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Acquire Currency! posted:

Edit: Oh poo poo didn't Dues Ex predict gas prices and a terrorist attack on New York?

It didn't predict as much as they removed the twin towers from the skybox because they otherwise couldn't mirror it. Then they wrote into the backstory that the twin towers were destroyed in a terrorist attack.

Mind you, it isn't the first time a terrorist attack has been attempted on the twin towers, so it has a sort of history with this.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm trying to play through my first game of classic and holy poo poo, I don't know how anyone can do it with all the bugs. The magic SUVs that block LOS you'd otherwise think should be fine, the teleporting enemies (I literally had a group of 3 sectoids appear right next to a soldier (was not hunkered down), and a magic muton that was somehow completely immune to explosives (granted, this only happened once). The funny thing is, I never had the teleporting enemies bug before the Second Wave patch which was supposed to fix it. My original run was also on normal, so there weren't as many enemies for it to possibly happen with.

Another one I ran into which wasn't a gently caress-me-over bug, just annoying, was a missing enemy. Killed everything on the map (the mausoleum map) but it wouldn't end. Had all 6 soldiers spread out that they saw the entire map and still nothing was appearing. Reloaded my game and then, magically, the last sectoid was rendered. Luckily he was in the crossfire of 3 soldiers already, but I'm just glad the AI couldn't shoot while it was "hidden".

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Orgophlax posted:

a magic muton that was somehow completely immune to explosives

I had this happen to me in my Ironman Classic run, except it was an ethereal. RIP Victor "Vengeance" Dafoe, my Colonel Heavy and Resident Psychic. Your hatred of the alien bastards that killed your beloved daughter Renee "Lifesaver" Dafoe will live on forever. :(

I've never been so angry at a game before.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Are there any draw backs to not progressing the story until you have researched everything you can and building all the satilittes/buildings you want?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Are there any draw backs to not progressing the story until you have researched everything you can and building all the satilittes/buildings you want?

The aliens progress independently, so you'd start facing some pretty rough aliens along with some very weirdly easy to kill aliens, I guess.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mordaedil posted:

The aliens progress independently, so you'd start facing some pretty rough aliens along with some very weirdly easy to kill aliens, I guess.

Do Muton Elites appear at all prior to the Overseer? Because those guys and Ethereals are a huge pain in the rear end. I'd almost consider it worth it to get an entire squad of psionics to trivialize all muton types even if it meant dealing with sectopods and heavy floaters more often.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mordaedil posted:

No, the story aliens ramp-up too. I had Archangel armor and plasma rifles at alien base, and there were Heavy Floaters etc inside.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ok, quick question: The Officer Training that gives everyone more will as they level up, does that apply retroactively?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Orgophlax posted:

magic muton that was somehow completely immune to explosives

This has happened to me frequently. AS far as I can tell, the problem is that, while a grenade or missile shows a spherical hitbox when you fire it, they will, in fact, only hit targets on the same z-level as your cursor. So. if your heavy is up a level (or even a half-step sometimes), and the enemy is on ground level, your rocket will explode right in their face and do no damage if you don't move the cursor down to their z-level.

I'm assuming this is so that they don't have to worry about hitting enemies separated from the explosion by a floor, since floors aren't destructible, but it's still incredibly annoying. Not only is it completely unintuitive, but the game makes it look like it works otherwise.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Splicer posted:

Ok, quick question: The Officer Training that gives everyone more will as they level up, does that apply retroactively?

It does not, unfortunately. I wish they gave you the possibility of retiring your soldiers from active duty once they take too many Will hits or something and keep them on as "advisors" or some poo poo in an expansion.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Muscle Tracer posted:

This has happened to me frequently. AS far as I can tell, the problem is that, while a grenade or missile shows a spherical hitbox when you fire it, they will, in fact, only hit targets on the same z-level as your cursor. So. if your heavy is up a level (or even a half-step sometimes), and the enemy is on ground level, your rocket will explode right in their face and do no damage if you don't move the cursor down to their z-level.

I'm assuming this is so that they don't have to worry about hitting enemies separated from the explosion by a floor, since floors aren't destructible, but it's still incredibly annoying. Not only is it completely unintuitive, but the game makes it look like it works otherwise.

The ethereal I was shooting at was on the same level as my two heavies and support who were on the doors to the bridge of a ufo. Everything was flat and he took two blaster bombs and an alien grenade to the face before having his go and killing my guy (explosives were my plan B... looks like I needed a C) and then took a double tap sniper and heavy plasma shot from my remaining heavy to take out. He was just flat up immune to explosives despite dropping them right on his character model on flat terrain.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

Except all the destructible environment around the explosion-proof enemy blows up just fine, so I don't think it's a Z-axis issue.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Except all the destructible environment around the explosion-proof enemy blows up just fine, so I don't think it's a Z-axis issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was another bug as well, I'm absolutely certain that there is a z-axis issue. I did a lot of savescumming in my first Classic run in the final temple mission to see just why exactly that blaster bomb wasn't hitting everyone it should have been. I could hit the etherial and two muton elites up the stairs, or I could hit the etherial and boss-etherial down the stairs, but not both groups, despite them being clearly within the bounding sphere of the explosion.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was another bug as well, I'm absolutely certain that there is a z-axis issue. I did a lot of savescumming in my first Classic run in the final temple mission to see just why exactly that blaster bomb wasn't hitting everyone it should have been. I could hit the etherial and two muton elites up the stairs, or I could hit the etherial and boss-etherial down the stairs, but not both groups, despite them being clearly within the bounding sphere of the explosion.

Well yeah, the explosion doesn't go through floors, so in that instance you'd only hit one or the other. I'm talking about the grenade landing at the feet of the muton, blowing up all his cover, and him not taking a lick of damage.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aureon posted:

No, the story aliens ramp-up too. I had Archangel armor and plasma rifles at alien base, and there were Heavy Floaters etc inside.

I just meant he wouldn't encounter Sectoid Commanders or Ethereals until the story actually unlocks them.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Well yeah, the explosion doesn't go through floors, so in that instance you'd only hit one or the other. I'm talking about the grenade landing at the feet of the muton, blowing up all his cover, and him not taking a lick of damage.

Yes, so am I.

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012

FairGame posted:

Panic creeps up if:
1.) You fail to shoot down a UFO over a given country (country only)

Actually it's only if you ignore it entirely. Attempting and failing just impacts your month-end report.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Numbnuts posted:

Actually it's only if you ignore it entirely. Attempting and failing just impacts your month-end report.

Wait, really? drat, that'll help me a lot because when I don't have Phoenix Cannons or when the contact isn't directly over wherever the hangar is on a continent, I don't even bother chasing the Abductor in month 3.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I tried ironman classic today. It did not go well...

I got to month four but I suffered a pyrrhic victory at the begining of the 2nd month where I lost all of my elites and only a squaddy got out alive. I think my macro game was pretty tight but loosing them I couldn't win any battles. I think I also prioritised satellites too much and didn't even manage to get an officer training school up. How many countries is generally acceptable to lose in the 1st few months?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I tried ironman classic today. It did not go well...

I got to month four but I suffered a pyrrhic victory at the begining of the 2nd month where I lost all of my elites and only a squaddy got out alive. I think my macro game was pretty tight but loosing them I couldn't win any battles. I think I also prioritised satellites too much and didn't even manage to get an officer training school up. How many countries is generally acceptable to lose in the 1st few months?

If you've lost 5 countries by the end of month 3 you're still in ok shape. Hopefully they were both SA countries, both of the Africa ones (with your base there), and then one of the low cash Asia/NA/Europe countries. By month 3 you should be assaulting the base (if not done in month 2), which gives you a nice bit of breathing room panic wise.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Any battlescape suggestions for the intro mission to Impossible Ironman? My goal is no rookie death, but all conventional strategies fail me, such as circling around the map before hitting the center, activating only one alien group at a time (although I'm not always perfect at that one), using explosives a lot, not firing from half cover unless I know I can kill the alien and another alien won't show up to kill me, not taking shots less than 45%, breaking line of site as the best cover, not sprinting unless I think the aliens might be on overwatch, killing the mindmelder, and using overwatch to lock down the alien's position to prevent my own units from being flanked. I've must have played at least 20 games today, restarting each time somebody died.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

Any battlescape suggestions for the intro mission to Impossible Ironman? My goal is no rookie death, but all conventional strategies fail me, such as circling around the map before hitting the center, activating only one alien group at a time (although I'm not always perfect at that one), using explosives a lot, not firing from half cover unless I know I can kill the alien and another alien won't show up to kill me, not taking shots less than 45%, breaking line of site as the best cover, not sprinting unless I think the aliens might be on overwatch, killing the mindmelder, and using overwatch to lock down the alien's position to prevent my own units from being flanked. I've must have played at least 20 games today, restarting each time somebody died.

All that is good tactics, but your ability to exit mission 1 on I/I with zero casualties is also map dependent. If you get Rooftop Construction Site you might as well restart. I just started a zero casualty I/I run on Museum. I had to start over 2 times before I got there due to squad wipes.

Can you give details on where some of your attempts went wrong?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A "+" appears next to a soldier's rank insignia when they gain a promotion during a mission. What does the yellow star that sometimes appears mean?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Dr Christmas posted:

A "+" appears next to a soldier's rank insignia when they gain a promotion during a mission. What does the yellow star that sometimes appears mean?
There's always a gold star next to someone's name as long as they're a higher rank than the others. It means they're the "captain" for the mission. Doesn't mean anything, it's just a pretty icon to show off highest seniority. Or at least, I hope that's all it is. It would suck to have your "leader's" death cause extra panic because the aliens just gunned down the most experienced soldier in the squad.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Olive Branch posted:

It would suck to have your "leader's" death cause extra panic because the aliens just gunned down the most experienced soldier in the squad.

Well, what do y'know... this is the case. :xcom:

the glow
May 31, 2009

amanasleep posted:

your ability to exit mission 1 on I/I with zero casualties is also map dependent. If you get Rooftop Construction Site you might as well restart.

I wouldn't consider that map to be one of the worse ones, personally. There's usually the lone pod in the upper right that you can set up on ahead of time and kill safely, there's lots of full cover on the ground for breaking LOS and baiting aggressive sectoids into flank/overwatch traps, and there's also a lot of opportunities to peek around edges to spot aliens, then use soldiers on the higher levels to grenade them from out of their sight. I don't claim to be good at XCOM but I've completed this map as the first mission of I/I without any of my soldiers being hit, and with the aliens only having fired two shots.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Dr Christmas posted:

I think that's signifying they earned a nickname isn't it?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I believe yellow star means 'squad leader', it's usually the highest ranking soldier on that mission. If there are multiple guys with the same rank I don't know how it's decided, might be random? Or based on some other algorithm with number of missions deploy or number of aliens killed or something.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Boing posted:

I believe yellow star means 'squad leader', it's usually the highest ranking soldier on that mission. If there are multiple guys with the same rank I don't know how it's decided, might be random? Or based on some other algorithm with number of missions deploy or number of aliens killed or something.

It's the soldier with the most experience, which is a hidden number (unless you turn it on with Toolboks).

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

the glow posted:

I wouldn't consider that map to be one of the worse ones, personally. There's usually the lone pod in the upper right that you can set up on ahead of time and kill safely, there's lots of full cover on the ground for breaking LOS and baiting aggressive sectoids into flank/overwatch traps, and there's also a lot of opportunities to peek around edges to spot aliens, then use soldiers on the higher levels to grenade them from out of their sight. I don't claim to be good at XCOM but I've completed this map as the first mission of I/I without any of my soldiers being hit, and with the aliens only having fired two shots.

I always have trouble getting out of the starting corner where there is no good cover.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have no problem with THAT construction map, but the one where you start next to the forklift and there's that massive high rise on the left?

That place is a loving deathtrap. I have no idea how to not get both groups coming after you at once. The group on the right is easy to deal with.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

It's the soldier with the most experience, which is a hidden number (unless you turn it on with Toolboks).
Really? I thought it was always the person you put in the third slot from the left (which puts them in the front of the group)

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

So I've watched through all of Beagle's episodes. Are there any other good I/I runs to watch?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

FairGame posted:

I have no problem with THAT construction map, but the one where you start next to the forklift and there's that massive high rise on the left?

That place is a loving deathtrap. I have no idea how to not get both groups coming after you at once. The group on the right is easy to deal with.

This map is difficult without rockets. First mission I agree it can be deadly, but at least you are at close range in full cover. I can often get good grenades off on this map and then retreat for pistol overwatches if necessary.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I finally beat the first mission on I/I with no losses and now it keeps crashing every time the skyranger back home video plays. :argh:

How do I fix this problem?

Edit: Nevermind, verifying the game cache not only fixed it, but desposited $10000 into my account, brought back to life my dog that aliens killed, and made a food drop to eastern Africa. Thank you verify game cache!

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 2, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Jon Joe posted:

I finally beat the first mission on I/I with no losses and now it keeps crashing every time the skyranger back home video plays. :argh:

How do I fix this problem?

Edit: Nevermind, verifying the game cache not only fixed it, but desposited $10000 into my account, brought back to life my dog that aliens killed, and made a food drop to eastern Africa. Thank you verify game cache!

Last time my game was acting weird, I used verify game cache and Jake Solomon came to my house and mowed my lawn, made me breakfast, and then gave me the latest secret patch that fixed all remaining bugs. However the patch was stored on a zip Disk and when I told him I didn't have a zip disk reader because it's 2013, he screamed "That's Xcom, Baby!" and jumped out the Window.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

How exactly do you show it? There's no option for it in Toolboks that I can see, and the "ShowXP" console command doesn't seem to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

Well, what do y'know... this is the case. :xcom:

This is exactly what happened in the original as well. If you had the XCOM Commander rolling on a mission with a dozen squaddies and the Commander got it, the squaddies would completely lose their poo poo. Alternately, if one of the squaddies got it, the presence of the officer would help stabilize the survivors.

• Locked thread