Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aeverous
Nov 13, 2009

Tykero posted:

And then casters will just hold swords.

People are overstating the "one true build" nonsense. Truly some builds are better than others, but I've seen (and played) a tremendous variety. No lie in saying that lots of hp nodes are necessary, but you don't need your entire build to be that. Ten to twenty points on defense (at level 70) is more than enough with smart spending.

It massively limits whatever you do in terms of builds and cripples the variety the system in this game could have which is otherwise incredibly versatile. Ten to twenty points is just Laugh Out Loud, sorry. That will not let you safely do Maps. Getting carried by your buddies is not safely doing Maps.

e: Perhaps another route is just nerfing all the defense talents, and then nerfing the damage all the mobs do. That would instantly make character building more interesting without changing the damage dynamics of the game. As it stands, somebody will probably calculate the optimal path on the skill tree soon, that gives you the most mathematical defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Been playing this on and off since the open beta. Took me a little while to kinda get the hand of how the passive trees worked and what to look for. I've been trying to think of some slightly unorthodox builds, just so I'm not playing a carbon copy of someone else's idea from the forums.

After doing a bit of experimenting I though I'd try a fire staff templar. I know fire is considered a bit weak right now, but it sounded fun to try anyhow. I've only gotten as far as a2 normal but it has been pretty fun. Here's what I'm sort of aiming at eventually (I know using all 120 points isn't entirely realistic, but I figured I'd use them all up)

Firestaff Templar

I'm not entirely sure on all the skills and support gems yet, I've just been picking stuff up as I play through. Really enjoying sweep and infernal blow, and I found an Iron Will I linked to Firestorm which I've been using.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Read posted:

:getin:

I don't know where I put the armour, might be on a character somewhere, but this combined with the Power Charge on crit armour is hilarious, CI makes Blood Rage free too, if you choose to go that route.

Man I need that thing for my goofy 2H build. :stare: it's glorious.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:

benisntfunny posted:

Glad they got stricter on the security because I sort of like my characters.

Ugh, they got mine in time and changed the email, that makes me sad.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

How about support gems that give you defensive buffs and are typed Melee so good luck using that mr. caster/archer face.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks end game damage is fine besides rhoas/shield chargers/alchemists? The only time my hp spikes these days is when I get caught by those mobs.

I play a 188% hp armor based sweep marauder, so I am basically the definition of melee. I've done a ton of maps too, albeit I avoid most of the "monsters deal % more damage as <element>" maps.

VVV I'm not even sure how you would go about fixing melee being inherently in more danger than ranged because the passive tree doesn't really lend itself to an easy "barbarians take 30% less damage" fix. I guess you could implement new defensive abilities that are geared towards mitigating physical damage, but then the ranged guys would just use it as well.

Twist And Pout! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 3, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

NecroMonster posted:

How about support gems that give you defensive buffs and are typed Melee so good luck using that mr. caster/archer face.

Because that wouldn't really make sense. It happens when you... Link it to a melee gem? Okay, I can spare two gem slots for that. It happens when you use the skill? That sounds really weird for an implementation.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sentrygun posted:

Because that wouldn't really make sense. It happens when you... Link it to a melee gem? Okay, I can spare two gem slots for that. It happens when you use the skill? That sounds really weird for an implementation.

Just make them short duration non-stacking buffs on hit/attack. Like the defense buff you get from Concentrate in Diablo 2.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
It's also not a very good idea to force melee to take something to be useful. The problem is that if it's either a node or a passive gem, it's still making you waste a resource to take it and thus makes ranged builds better just by virtue of not having a tax they have to meet. There's probably a good way for them to implement it without it being at a stupid cost, and they might do so later on.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Tykero posted:

And then casters will just hold swords.

People are overstating the "one true build" nonsense. Truly some builds are better than others, but I've seen (and played) a tremendous variety. No lie in saying that lots of hp nodes are necessary, but you don't need your entire build to be that. Ten to twenty points on defense (at level 70) is more than enough with smart spending.

You can play whatever you want and crush the hell out of normal and then pretty easily sail up through act2 cruel and then you get to the end of a3 cruel and find out that your build is nonviable unless you have a shitload of defense and a ranged attack.

I've played tons of builds and the only ones to sail through merciless are ranged defensive builds. It's pretty sad that the most reliable way to make pretty much any character is to just ignore everything and take a shitload of life.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sentrygun posted:

It's also not a very good idea to force melee to take something to be useful. The problem is that if it's either a node or a passive gem, it's still making you waste a resource to take it and thus makes ranged builds better just by virtue of not having a tax they have to meet. There's probably a good way for them to implement it without it being at a stupid cost, and they might do so later on.

The only other real option is bake some sort of short duration defensive buff into all melee attacks. This avoids a support gem or passive skill tax. They could stick 30% reduced damage onto all str melee attacks, and 30% chance to dodge attacks and spells onto dex attacks, or some other buffs. But, because of the way the active skill system works you've pretty much got to tie your defense bonus right to use of the skills themselves, or you'll either have a skill point tax, or loving spell casters/ranged using the defensive bonuses too. You can't tie it directly into class either.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Lord Humongus posted:

Ugh, they got mine in time and changed the email, that makes me sad.

Was your email account using the same password as your PoE account?

Hacking/compromising peoples video game accounts is a pretty big industry in China. If they ever gain access to your account for one game or service, make sure you change everything else that uses the same password, because that username/password combination will be attempted on every big multiplayer game with tradeable items and email provider from here on out.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

NecroMonster posted:

The only other real option is bake some sort of short duration defensive buff into all melee attacks. This avoids a support gem or passive skill tax. They could stick 30% reduced damage onto all str melee attacks, and 30% chance to dodge attacks and spells onto dex attacks, or some other buffs. But, because of the way the active skill system works you've pretty much got to tie your defense bonus right to use of the skills themselves, or you'll either have a skill point tax, or loving spell casters/ranged using the defensive bonuses too. You can't tie it directly into class either.

This isn't some hacked together mod of a game, GGG made the thing. They can code something specific to make it so that proper melee fighters get some kind of defensive bonus if they really want to, it doesn't have to be weirdly integrated into how skills normally work.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I think ranged supremacy is just the price you pay for having so much freedom in character builds. v:shobon:v

I think the more pressing concern is the extreme imbalance between offense and defense mid to late game. Luckily that can be fixed easily: decrease mob damage, greatly increase mob health and buff damage increasing nodes. This would take some of the focus off of equipment and put it on your build while also making damage more important so you can take stuff out before it wears you down.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think ranged supremacy is just the price you pay for having so much freedom in character builds. v:shobon:v

I think the more pressing concern is the extreme imbalance between offense and defense mid to late game. Luckily that can be fixed easily: decrease mob damage, greatly increase mob health and buff damage increasing nodes. This would take some of the focus off of equipment and put it on your build while also making damage more important so you can take stuff out before it wears you down.

This is my thought too. More mob health, less damage dealt. Melee abilities should hit harder than ranged. Over the course of a fight, a melee fighter will kill a mob faster, resulting in less damage taken.

Example:

Mob: 1000 Health 200 DPS
Ranged: 200 DPS
Melee: 250 DPS
In theory the Ranged takes 1000 damage while killing the mob, but the melee only takes 800.

It doesn't really work like that, since ranged tend to be able to avoid hits more easily, and kite more easily. GGG could probably make it work though. It would mean that the best defense is a good offense, which, you know, is a thing.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

aeverous posted:

It massively limits whatever you do in terms of builds and cripples the variety the system in this game could have which is otherwise incredibly versatile. Ten to twenty points is just Laugh Out Loud, sorry. That will not let you safely do Maps. Getting carried by your buddies is not safely doing Maps.

e: Perhaps another route is just nerfing all the defense talents, and then nerfing the damage all the mobs do. That would instantly make character building more interesting without changing the damage dynamics of the game. As it stands, somebody will probably calculate the optimal path on the skill tree soon, that gives you the most mathematical defense.

I am soloing maps right now (level 70) with 22 points in "defensive" nodes, without any real issue. Ten~twenty points was a low estimate, I admit. Twenty to thirty is probably a safer bet, depending on your build's risk factors.

Edit, from passives: 136% health, +50 health, +16% chaos resist (1 point), +51% Energy Shield, +25% ES CD Recovery, +36% Evasion Rating, +20% Elemental Resist

Tykero fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 3, 2013

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
The solution I always thought would be ideal would be to institute something for physical damage in the same vein as shock/burn/freeze for elemental damage, since melee damage tends to be primarily physical. On crit, reduce the damage dealt by the target sort of like enfeeble. Then sprinkle a few passives similar to Static Blows around the templar/marauder/duelist areas that increase the effect's duration/reduce the threshold/give a flat percentage chance to cause the effect on hit with physical damage (potentially melee only?), and add a flat chance to apply it to a few skills. It would be a great replacement to the knockback on Heavy Strike. Who the hell wants knockback on a single target melee ability?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The problem with this thinking is that ranged/casters simply have far more choice in skills, on top of being far away from things, and having access to all the same passives. Melee is going to need something close to the same depth of choice before it'll be be feasible to really balance the two out anyway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vanguard Warden posted:

The solution I always thought would be ideal would be to institute something for physical damage in the same vein as shock/burn/freeze for elemental damage, since melee damage tends to be primarily physical. On crit, reduce the damage dealt by the target sort of like enfeeble. Then sprinkle a few passives similar to Static Blows around the templar/marauder/duelist areas that increase the effect's duration/reduce the threshold/give a flat percentage chance to cause the effect on hit with physical damage (potentially melee only?), and add a flat chance to apply it to a few skills. It would be a great replacement to the knockback on Heavy Strike. Who the hell wants knockback on a single target melee ability?

I was wondering earlier today why the hell heavy strike had knockback, right after I managed to use it to push a boss right into a loving wall, where he stopped moving, and became untargetable, unhittable... at about 3% health.

It was useful when killing the bandits though, as it knocked the chick that summons new minions from the pot so far away that the newly summoned minions don't bother wandering over to join the fight.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

NecroMonster posted:

The problem with this thinking is that ranged/casters simply have far more choice in skills, on top of being far away from things, and having access to all the same passives. Melee is going to need something close to the same depth of choice before it'll be be feasible to really balance the two out anyway.

I agree that melee needs more skill variety. I was just saying that I don't think you can ever get away from the inherent advantage of range without restricting build choices in a significant way, and I think the developers want to avoid doing that.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I'm making a new char, is spark+fork or freezing pulse+LMP considered better? I've read that either will work even endgame?

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Haerc posted:

I'm making a new char, is spark+fork or freezing pulse+LMP considered better? I've read that either will work even endgame?

There's tons of freezing pulse builds, almost every class has one. Spork is another fairly common build as well. Yes they will both work endgame. Can't really say which is better, but most spork builds tend to be dual totem, while FP is casted. But as always, it's totally up to you.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Eh, I guess I've got a quality FP I might as well use... Or I could use spark, then add fork at 12, and switch over to FP+LMP at 19. Shrug, we will see.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

FP+LMP and a Spork Totem

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I was actually planning on spell totem+skeletons for survivability, but who knows, I haven't even started the char yet.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
If the problem is that everyone grabs all of the hp nodes all of the time, and they have no qualms about flying all over the skill grid to make the same couple of characters with each class, how do you think it might shake out if they were to completely remove HP% nodes and instead, just give everyone +2% hp for every non-stat node they take? Maybe +1% for every non-stat node they take outside of their class area?

BIGBONGTHEORY
Apr 17, 2007
Stupid Dickfaced Moron

Kersch posted:

If the problem is that everyone grabs all of the hp nodes all of the time, and they have no qualms about flying all over the skill grid to make the same couple of characters with each class, how do you think it might shake out if they were to completely remove HP% nodes and instead, just give everyone +2% hp for every non-stat node they take? Maybe +1% for every non-stat node they take outside of their class area?

Because going all around the passive tree in a crazy manner is fun.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
I do admit, the whole "You didn't get enough HP nodes. Sleep now in the fire!" surprise the game springs on you at the beginning of act 3 is kind of a dick move. I have two items boosting my health by a large margin, two sets of percent dense HP nodes and I got the bandit HP reward and I'm still savoring that painful shotgun blast of pain now and then.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
I just jumped into this and love it. It's a really pretty game and works fluidly, did not expect that. The only complaint I have is that I can't really "feel" when and if my hits connect - is there any way to turn on damage numbers over the enemies' heads?

I have absolutely no idea how anything works however, it's beautifully confusing. I kinda figured out the skill gem levelling system, the passive skill board still boggles my mind however. This seems to me like one of the games where you can screw up your character royally whithout even noticing, especially if you've got no idea what you're doing in the beginning - I've got the nagging feeling that I've already screwed it up at level 7.

Could anyone give me any tips on where to take a Templar to at least make that moment come as late as possible? From what I've gathered, melee basically sucks but I'm playing with a Ranger and a Witch and it just seems common sense to me that there should be something with a shield and a stick between them and the undead hordes. The only thing I absolutely need to be able to be doing is shoot lightning, it's an acquired taste.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Fluegel posted:

I just jumped into this and love it. It's a really pretty game and works fluidly, did not expect that. The only complaint I have is that I can't really "feel" when and if my hits connect - is there any way to turn on damage numbers over the enemies' heads?

I have absolutely no idea how anything works however, it's beautifully confusing. I kinda figured out the skill gem levelling system, the passive skill board still boggles my mind however. This seems to me like one of the games where you can screw up your character royally whithout even noticing, especially if you've got no idea what you're doing in the beginning - I've got the nagging feeling that I've already screwed it up at level 7.

Could anyone give me any tips on where to take a Templar to at least make that moment come as late as possible? From what I've gathered, melee basically sucks but I'm playing with a Ranger and a Witch and it just seems common sense to me that there should be something with a shield and a stick between them and the undead hordes. The only thing I absolutely need to be able to be doing is shoot lightning, it's an acquired taste.

I was looking at a build earlier that's basically what you want. Templar with mace/shield that uses Lightning Strike to shoot lightning.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/82518

[edit] I have no idea if it sucks or not. I just was going to try it eventually.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Don't worry about screwing up a character. Allowing currency to drop at any level makes it much more fun than D3's slog to get to max level. Getting to the high levels means nowhere near as much as it does in D3 or other online games.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Fluegel posted:

The devs have said they're working on that feature.

Random Nightfall
Sep 7, 2011

I'm tired. It excuses everything.

Hand Row posted:

Don't worry about screwing up a character. Allowing currency to drop at any level makes it much more fun than D3's slog to get to max level. Getting to the high levels means nowhere near as much as it does in D3 or other online games.

Yeah, that's been my take on the game -- frankly I have yet to get out of act 2 on normal; I'm too busy trying variations out while collecting gear and gems and currency to hand off to later, better thought out characters. It definitely rewards iterative refinement as an approach.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just bought an 89% Surgeon's Granite Flask of Iron Skin for a chaos orb, that was a good trade right? I thought someone here sold one for a stupid amount.

Speaking of flasks, does anyone know if there's a program that can read the state of a single pixel on your screen? I'd love to script a program to basically eyeball my HP bar and spam instant-recovery potions if it sees a pixel at the 25% level is black instead of red.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of flasks, does anyone know if there's a program that can read the state of a single pixel on your screen?

Your eyes & brain.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

forge posted:

I think I'll have a extra.. here is what I am taking, running the same build I did today with ek/fire. Check the shadow tree on any of my trade notes listed and it's yours. I'm only picking up lmp ll etc because those are simply the most valuable. But if there is a faster casting in any of those let me know tomorrow afternoon when we start and I'll save it for you.

I'm on IRC and Mumble now until the race starts. I can probably use one of those hastes. For your added fire on merciless (Mercy Mission), I can probably grab you it earlier, if you can pick up faster casting there.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
I've read on the forums that fire witches tend to drop off in effectiveness compared to ice and lightning builds. Does any have any suggestions on good fire builds? I'm having so much fun on my level 8 character with fireball that I want to keep up with it, or is it not really worth it in the end?

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
Here is my proposed dual totem gmp fireball Marauder build with spectres (70+) and dual curses (flammability and enf)

At 52: http://tinyurl.com/ac7lxqr

I did it this way because marauder starts with easy access to health, totem area, and templar area. I dip into templar and grab the good ele stuff then head to witch for fire/curses.

After 52 I can take another 40% health from templar for 7 points or so. And after I take more hp I will start taking minion life and damage nodes in the witch area to buff the spectres i'm going to run with the totems. I might end up doing zombies but so far I'm shooting for spectre and totems.

At 52 it will be 97% in hp nodes. I don't like CI so I didn't build for it, this gives me more gear selection options so I won't even notice having to wear bones of ullr (for the +1 spectre later in the build).

Sterling_Archer fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 3, 2013

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Random Nightfall posted:

Yeah, that's been my take on the game -- frankly I have yet to get out of act 2 on normal; I'm too busy trying variations out while collecting gear and gems and currency to hand off to later, better thought out characters. It definitely rewards iterative refinement as an approach.

Totally agreed-- I think I've rolled maybe 20 or 25 characters since OB started, and so far only one has made it into Cruel, my fire summoner witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

whypick1 posted:

The devs have said they're working on that feature.

I can hardly wait for floating damage to be implemented. Hopefully they choose something that pops out in a unique manner. Damage numbers popping out can have a similar sort of effect on the experience that loot popping out has. Oddly, it was one of my favorite little quirks of Ragnarok Online...crappy as that game is overall.

• Locked thread