Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
NewEgg has got a coupon code that expires tomorrow for :10bux: off on Luigi's Mansion.

Edit: Luigi's Mansion only looks like.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

8-bit Miniboss posted:

NewEgg has got a coupon code that expires tomorrow for :10bux: off on Luigi's Mansion.

Edit: Luigi's Mansion only looks like.

The promo code EMCYTZT3040 has been closed and is no longer active.

Wow, it's even still on the page.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

elf help book posted:

Jeez, I literally just slipped into that one about an hour ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do they end up using the Spanish for the South American release or do they get the NA release in English?

I also honestly didn't know releasing in only English was even an option, thought some EU regulation was what was delaying everything.

More companies have recently started translating games into Brazilian Portuguese for the South American market, including Nintendo. They don't do it for every title but it's becoming more of a regular thing.

Phantasium posted:

I have not missed buying a Castlevania game on release since Chronicles on the PS1. I will not be buying Mirror of Fate on launch day. Unless they've completely changed several things from the demo, there are too many problems with it for me to loyally stupidly buy on launch this time around.

Really just waiting on reviews at this point, because supposedly they just recycled an old demo which existed before a lot of major changes (which begs the question as to WHY they even bothered to present that demo, but whatever).

Making demos takes time and money that subtracts from the main game, so lots of devs just offer up old demos they made for trade shows or whatever.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Some Japanese chap did an informative video about (big) releases in Japan this month. (The original from NND is here.)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

elf help book posted:

Edoraz posted:

Jeez, I literally just slipped into that one about an hour ago.

Wow, that's surprising and sucks at the same time. I know it's been traded around a couple StreetPass FB groups. Probably got a lot of action between them...

Obligatory "gently caress you, got mine".

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 4, 2013

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm visiting in the states right now and have an EU 3DS. I can't play American carts on it, can I?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

No, you can't. It's region-locked.

If you really feel the need to buy games whilst overseas, there's always the eShop!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I StreetPassed someone today who gave me a weapon gem, a mystery box, and ghost data, but for some reason they must have disabled StreetPass for StreetPass Mii Plaza because I didn't get their dude. :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Welp, I've done it. I've just purchased an XL.

edit: Argh, Nintendo! What exactly is being conveyed by these gems dropping into an icon during the eShop download process? Can I just have a progress meter, please?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 5, 2013

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Funkmaster General posted:

Welp, I've done it. I've just purchased an XL.

edit: Argh, Nintendo! What exactly is being conveyed by these gems dropping into an icon during the eShop download process? Can I just have a progress meter, please?

But the square is getting fuller! :downs: Oh look, it's the eShop icon guy, he's riding the gems how funny Americans will love this

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you set your downloads to Sleep Mode you can see an actual download percentage on the main menu.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
When does the E-Shop update? I read there was a demo for the new Pokemon mystery dungeon game coming this week and I'm antsy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Thursday.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Edoraz posted:

But the square is getting fuller! :downs: Oh look, it's the eShop icon guy, he's riding the gems how funny Americans will love this

Oh, yes. It goes right along with our fascination with representing storage space as unquantifiable "blocks" instead of inferior terms like "megabytes" or "gigabytes."

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

KGBAgent185 posted:

When does the E-Shop update? I read there was a demo for the new Pokemon mystery dungeon game coming this week and I'm antsy.

Nintendo did post two videos of it today, though, so be sure to check them out.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The Pikmin system transfer is cute.

Not having a progress bar is annoying, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there any way to disable the shoulder buttons bringing up the camera? I am constantly hitting them by accident.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Quidnose posted:

The Pikmin system transfer is cute.

Not having a progress bar is annoying, though.

There is a progress bar at the bottom in the form of the flowers, and there is a percentile in the top right. I just did a system transfer this weekend.

Oh, yes. It goes right along with our fascination with representing storage space as unquantifiable "blocks" instead of inferior terms like "megabytes" or "gigabytes."

I was just discussing this with my wife. Has there been any conversion posted? How big a block is on any of these systems?

I was so glad when I got a ps2 that it gave up the bullshit 15 block memory cards. :saddowns:

Laser Spider posted:

Nintendo did post two videos of it today, though, so be sure to check them out.
I'll have to check those out. I put in a preorder for it today as I was in GameStop returning the ds adventure time game to get the 3DS one.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 5, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
8192 blocks = 1GB, off the top of my head.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Guilty posted:

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm visiting in the states right now and have an EU 3DS. I can't play American carts on it, can I?

Most DS games aren't locked (Pokemon B/W and a few others are, iirc), but all 3ds carts are.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

nerdpony posted:

Most DS games aren't locked (Pokemon B/W and a few others are, iirc), but all 3ds carts are.

That said, those locks can only be enforced on a DSi or 3DS. The original DS and the Lite both lack the region lockout software that those games check against.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

KGBAgent185 posted:

I'll have to check those out. I put in a preorder for it today as I was in GameStop returning the ds adventure time game to get the 3DS one.

On that note, if you care at all about Club Nintendo, be sure to go there and say that you intend to purchase it. Do a short survey and you'll get an extra 10 coins when you actually register the game. Watch carefully, as the physical and downloadable versions are considered separate games on Club Nintendo, so don't say that you're going to buy the wrong one.

For anyone who is going to get Luigi's Mansion, there's the same offer up for it as well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

In flash memory terms, a block is the smallest useful unit of space. Common block sizes are 128kb or 256kb, but it can vary by manufacture or technology. You can often write or read smaller-than blocksize units but, you can only delete an entire block at a time. Flash memory also tends to have some blocks busted straight from the factory, which has unnerved people backing up their Wii flash memory since that process displays all the blocks onscreen during the operation.

In short, blocks are very quantifiable and significant to the tech, where they are used quantify useful memory allocation. It's not goof console lingo any more than "bytes" themselves.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I know this has been mentioned already, but I am really interested in seeing how the reviews for that new Castlevania game end up shaping out, because I cannot tell if this game is any good or not based on how awful this demo performs. It doesn't look like it would be a bad GoW clone by any means, but holy poo poo, I'm usually not one to notice terrible framerates, and if the first 30 seconds of the game had me going "wow this is performing TERRIBLY" there's something seriously wrong.

WHY WHY WHY do companies keep releasing awful demos? I know that it's probably easier to devote manpower to finishing the game if they already have a demo in place, but seriously, how is this supposed to entice me to get the product? What are they thinking here? First that Monster Hunter demo, now this? Get your act together, 3DS developers!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sure, but no one talks about hard drive capacity in terms of sectors anymore. Nintendo's use of block is just an attempt to be charmingly anachronistic, like a rotary cell phone.

Quidnose posted:

I know this has been mentioned already, but I am really interested in seeing how the reviews for that new Castlevania game end up shaping out, because I cannot tell if this game is any good or not based on how awful this demo performs. It doesn't look like it would be a bad GoW clone by any means, but holy poo poo, I'm usually not one to notice terrible framerates, and if the first 30 seconds of the game had me going "wow this is performing TERRIBLY" there's something seriously wrong.

WHY WHY WHY do companies keep releasing awful demos? I know that it's probably easier to devote manpower to finishing the game if they already have a demo in place, but seriously, how is this supposed to entice me to get the product? What are they thinking here? First that Monster Hunter demo, now this? Get your act together, 3DS developers!
The MH demo was some bullshit they pulled out from TGS or E3 or something a couple years ago. Dunno anything about the Castlevania demo but it could be the same deal. Or the game is just garbage to begin with, wouldn't be surprised.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 5, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Chris Kohler will be talking/tweeting more indepth about it tomorrow, but he just finished Mirror of Fate and had the following to say.

Chris Kohler @kobunheat posted:

I beat Mirror of Fate this morning. It's meh. Fun to stomp through one time, but more low-rent God of War than Metroidvania.

Surprise! Kinda curious to see if the abysmal frame-rate was fixed in the final build, but I'll be skipping it anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So I'll probably be picking up an XL in a few hour's time. But before I do, I'd like to know - how's the battery life in comparison to the original model, and are there any battery addons?

Thanks in advance.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Pureauthor posted:

So I'll probably be picking up an XL in a few hour's time. But before I do, I'd like to know - how's the battery life in comparison to the original model, and are there any battery addons?

Thanks in advance.

Nintendo quotes battery life for the 3DS XL as being about 25% longer than the regular 3DS: 3.5-6.5 hours rather than 3-5. I'm not aware of any battery add-ons on the market yet, but supposedly there's a third-party one in the works that's meant to extend battery life up to 21 hours.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here, have some Castlevania reviews (highest score to lowest):

ONM
Game Informer
CVG
GIGA
Godisageek
Nintendolife
Edge
Eurogamer
EGM
Gamesradar
IGN
Venturebeat

No real surprises for anyone who's followed the game and/or played the demo, I don't think.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

homeless snail posted:

Sure, but no one talks about hard drive capacity in terms of sectors anymore. Nintendo's use of block is just an attempt to be charmingly anachronistic, like a rotary cell phone.

I think you may be giving Nintendo too much credit. They seem to be a company that embraces the worst part of their recent past (remaking the same lovely 2D Mario game three times now), while resisting the advances that every other platform has made.

Region locking, having content tied to one system the way it is now, and not having Link to the Past available for download.

If Nintendo fixed any one of these three problems, I'd be happy. :)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chinook posted:

I think you may be giving Nintendo too much credit. They seem to be a company that embraces the worst part of their recent past (remaking the same lovely 2D Mario game three times now), while resisting the advances that every other platform has made.

Region locking, having content tied to one system the way it is now, and not having Link to the Past available for download.

If Nintendo fixed any one of these three problems, I'd be happy. :)

Four Swords comes with Link to the Past and it was free for 3DS owners for a while, I have it on my 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Four Swords comes with Link to the Past and it was free for 3DS owners for a while, I have it on my 3DS.

The free Four Swords game they gave away on DSiWare didn't include Link to the Past and is no longer available, not even for purchase. The GBA game given away to 3DS ambassadors was Minish Cap, and it's not available for purchase either.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The free Four Swords game they gave away on DSiWare didn't include Link to the Past and is no longer available, not even for purchase. The GBA game given away to 3DS ambassadors was Minish Cap, and it's not available for purchase either.

Oh really? I might be confusing the one I have on the 3DS with the one I have on the emulator, assumed they wouldn't take stuff out.

That's really weird that they remove things off the store completely though. Nintendo :I

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Oh really? I might be confusing the one I have on the 3DS with the one I have on the emulator, assumed they wouldn't take stuff out.

That's really weird that they remove things off the store completely though. Nintendo :I

The GBA version of ALttP came with Four Swords, not the other way around. The DSi Four Swords is not an emulated copy of the GBA ROM, but a port with additional content.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

homeless snail posted:

Doesn't the Wii U say MBs and GBs instead of blocks? I thought I remembered seeing straight up file sizes when Giant Bomb were looking at the system memory in their Wii U live stream.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Pyrovile posted:

Doesn't the Wii U say MBs and GBs instead of blocks? I thought I remembered seeing straight up file sizes when Giant Bomb were looking at the system memory in their Wii U live stream.

This is correct.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here, have some Castlevania reviews (highest score to lowest):

ONM
Game Informer
CVG
GIGA
Godisageek
Nintendolife
Edge
Eurogamer
EGM
Gamesradar
IGN
Venturebeat

No real surprises for anyone who's followed the game and/or played the demo, I don't think.

Still plan on buying it, but not at full price. Oh well.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Why isn't the ambassador stuff available for purchase? I just bought a 3DS XL and it seems really stupid that they apparently don't want me to give them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

The Machine posted:

Why isn't the ambassador stuff available for purchase? I just bought a 3DS XL and it seems really stupid that they apparently don't want me to give them money.

Most of the NES stuff is now, I think.

The GBA ports are so half-assed that they shouldn't sell them.

• Locked thread