Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

There's dozens of goons in the Giant Goon League, of all skill levels from rank beginner to seasoned veterans of a thousand games. Get on IRC, go to #tgbloodbowl on synirc.net, get games with goons, have fun. It is the right thing to do regardless of your experience with Bloodbowl.

If someone is trying to kill your Khemrian mummies by breaking their armor and they don't have claw, they're playing badly. Your mummies aren't going to score. They should be focusing on your ball carriers. This is generally true of any high-AV player on any team: trees, big guys, etc. Go ahead and take an opportunistic foul on a prone big guy, if you can gang up with a bunch of dudes and/or have good skills for reducing/negating armor; but if you're trying to attrit your opponents' team, you start with his lowest-TV players or his players who are scoring threats (often the same thing).

So for your khemri I'd be going after your Blitz-ras and (if you have any) throw-ras, and secondarily your normal skeletons. I'd be doing my best to avoid your mummies with anything that doesn't match them in strength, or have mighty blow/claw/piling on/horns to blitz them/etc.

PLUS: +MV on a khemrian mummy is a no-brainer. Adding more mobility to a mummy is amazing.

I'm biased I guess because every time I play Khemri, the most skilled mummy I have always dies from a random failed block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

deathbagel posted:

I'm biased I guess because every time I play Khemri, the most skilled mummy I have always dies from a random failed block.

This, but Tomb Guardians.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tomb Guardians are Khemri mummies aren't they?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

deathbagel posted:

That does happen, yes. All things are dust. Give your tomb guardians skills that will make them better at being tomb guardians, and accept that nothing lasts forever (you're playing blood bowl, this is the game).

I mean go ahead and take +AV if it makes you feel better... but we're discussing optimization strategies here, and mathematically it's not an optimal choice.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

Tomb Guardians are Khemri mummies aren't they?

Yes, they are. They used to be normal mummies, but for some reason GW thought they needed to be given decay and an extra point of move...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The thing you'll realize about Bloodbowl is that all players, regarldess of AV and whatever skills they have, will die. Nobody lives forever in this game. Taking AV doesn't help a player that much so you might as well ignore it and pick stuff that is actually fun.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

deathbagel posted:

Yes, they are. They used to be normal mummies, but for some reason GW thought they needed to be given decay and an extra point of move...
And lose mighty blow, Lrb4 khemri was brutal with 4 mb no nega trait guys and skeletons only costing 30000. The diffrence between tomb guardians and mummies are huge in tournament.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
LRB4 mummies had G access as well! So yeah someone thought it was ok to have 4 strength 5 block mb guys backed up by a huge stack of 30k fouling assist machines on the same team.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

In fairness, given Khemri don't really have any other options other than slow bashing taking away G access and MB was probably a little harsh.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

RabidWeasel posted:

LRB4 mummies had G access as well! So yeah someone thought it was ok to have 4 strength 5 block mb guys backed up by a huge stack of 30k fouling assist machines on the same team.

Fouling was much more brutal in LRB4 as well, so khemri was just hosed up.

Forums Terrorist posted:

In fairness, given Khemri don't really have any other options other than slow bashing taking away G access and MB was probably a little harsh.

Yeah the khemri nerf was way to harsh, they went from a really op team to only being slightly better than the joke teams.

ZigZag fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 2, 2013

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

My goblin team just fought a dwarf coach who had just started playing recently because of that TGS thing. He quit on turn 4 after I knocked the ball loose with my bombadier and was going to touchdown.

He told me he was quitting and was polite about it, but he quit before I could even explain that he'd be forfeiting his MVP and all that other stuff.

Edit: Cyanide just put me in a 40 second timer match on a team that, like all my teams, is set to never go in 40 second timer matches.
And making rushed decisions I naturally get the only player I care about on my team killed.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 3, 2013

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

LibbyM posted:

Edit: Cyanide just put me in a 40 second timer match on a team that, like all my teams, is set to never go in 40 second timer matches.
And making rushed decisions I naturally get the only player I care about on my team killed.

Cyanide really really likes to reset your turn counter preferences. So my advice is to always make sure after each match/matchmaking session that you reset to 4 minutes. Or just play goons in GGL

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

GNU Order posted:

Cyanide really really likes to reset your turn counter preferences. So my advice is to always make sure after each match/matchmaking session that you reset to 4 minutes. Or just play goons in GGL

Yep, the game did reset my timer preferences as it turns out.

I've also just had a best of 3 series with some random guy through naggaroth matchmaking because we're the only ones playing right now.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Teams can freely join/leave a league inbetween the prior season and the next season right?

EDIT: Cup Leagues to be exact.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So apparently Agent355's been running a new Bloodbowl LP for quite a while now. Nobody told me!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I am just dropping in to remind you all that Nuffle is a fickle and angry God, and that he hates all of us equally, but especially equally does he hate Dwarves.

And be careful because I have no idea why but it seems like how big these things are varies depending on when you open them because I think I did something stupid and or dumb. So basically par for the course.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That's what you get for trying to grind a chorf team to throw against agent's rats.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Forums Terrorist posted:

That's what you get for trying to grind a chorf team to throw against agent's rats.

It's not 'grinding'. I'm playing real serious games with people. It just also happens to be the team that I want to use to kill all of Agent's dudes.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I really need to discern what's worth a reroll and what isn't. That and understanding how to set up tackle zones that limit my opponent's options...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it vital to THE PLAN? Use a reroll. Otherwise, don't.

Unless it's the last turn of a half and you have one left and it would be cool.

Or you just really want to see if that snotling can surf a minotaur.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Is it vital to THE PLAN? Use a reroll. Otherwise, don't.

It's a little more complicated than that. If you're short on rerolls you have to evaluate how much time is left in the half and how much you really need it.

Say it's turn 3 in the first half and you have 4 rerolls left. After doing some blocking you have the opportunity to blitz the ballcarrier in their own territory and get the ball loose, although you're not in position to anything with it this turn. DOUBLE SKULLS! Rerolling this one is a no-brainer.

Now take the same situation, except you're on your last reroll. It would be really sweet to take out the ballcarrier, but let's face it--it's not going to mean you get a touchdown even if you do, and the opponent is in no immediate danger of scoring even if you don't (unless they're skaven or something.) There's 5 turns left in the half, there's an excellent chance that you'll need that reroll for a more important roll later; save it for when it counts.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
New patch today, match making is finally fixed and so is league schedules :dance: gonna get undead back as the nr 1 ranked team in auld :dance:

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Cyanide is also making a multi-platform free-to-play Blood Bowl team management game I guess?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/05/and-also-blood-to-bowl-manager-revealed/

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Steve Holt! posted:

Cyanide is also making a multi-platform free-to-play Blood Bowl team management game I guess?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/05/and-also-blood-to-bowl-manager-revealed/

We were talking about this in the IRC earlier and I can't wait to see how they gently caress it up.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Is that just going to be the Blood Bowl Team Manager game by Fantasy Flight but on computers/adroid/iOS/whatever else they mean by multiplatform? It's the same 6 races so I think it could be. Also good on Cyanide for using the wrong team logos for Dwarfs and Skaven. Classic Cyanide.

Also IIRC that game uses artwork from the Cyanide games so there is probably some existing business relationship between the two somehow.

e: p sure the chaos logo is wrong too, it seems like the ogre logo.

Circle Nine fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 6, 2013

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Are they adapting the card game that is on Fantasy Flight's webpage? Anyone know how good it is? Cyanide will probably turn it into horrible freemium bullshit either way (Dungeonbowl for example seems to ahve a billion DLC on top of its not being good-ness), but maybe they have something good to start from.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Team Manager (the card game) is pretty well-received in the board game community from what I can tell, even among players who have never heard of BB before.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Nothing in the releases so far suggests this is the very, very good BloodBowl Team Manager game which FFG makes.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I started a tabletop league of Blood Bowl at my FNGS, and despite the inherent flaky nature of gamers, it's going fairly well. I'm currently leading the table with my Halfling team, which has prompted some owners to remark that "It's really not worth winning" and raising your team value.

While I know how WRONG that statement is, with our league's small sample size and many lurkers, it appears to be true; in part because I've played 100's of games to everyone else's 10 or less.

With this in mind, a couple of questions for people who might have tried the in-person route before:

a) How do you keep people interested in what can be a very unforgiving game? (i.e. My Halflings were essentially the last straw to a neophyte Lizardman squad who lost a Skink and Saurus against us. I told him to start over, keeping his 0-3 record. but his enthusiasm has dimmed)

b) What kind of in-game prizes should you reward to people who stuck it out, and played the season/playoffs? I'm thinking cash for their treasuries, but I could also run things Chaos Cup style, and give out mutations...

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

I started a tabletop league of Blood Bowl at my FNGS, and despite the inherent flaky nature of gamers, it's going fairly well. I'm currently leading the table with my Halfling team, which has prompted some owners to remark that "It's really not worth winning" and raising your team value.

While I know how WRONG that statement is, with our league's small sample size and many lurkers, it appears to be true; in part because I've played 100's of games to everyone else's 10 or less.

With this in mind, a couple of questions for people who might have tried the in-person route before:

a) How do you keep people interested in what can be a very unforgiving game? (i.e. My Halflings were essentially the last straw to a neophyte Lizardman squad who lost a Skink and Saurus against us. I told him to start over, keeping his 0-3 record. but his enthusiasm has dimmed)

b) What kind of in-game prizes should you reward to people who stuck it out, and played the season/playoffs? I'm thinking cash for their treasuries, but I could also run things Chaos Cup style, and give out mutations...

Helmets with +1 av, some boots with sprint built into them, (rather than free skills/mkutations) that sort of thing work really well as prizes. If they have the actual boardgame, then nicely printed and laminated endzone strips are awesome, and we gave one player a new board hand-painted with paint and sand, very nice.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 6, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

The Orange Mage posted:

Team Manager (the card game) is pretty well-received in the board game community from what I can tell, even among players who have never heard of BB before.

It's a fun game and it's a loving crime they've still not expanded on the six starting races.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutkowski posted:

It's a fun game and it's a loving crime they've still not expanded on the six starting races.

Actually the first expansion is set to release very very soon from what BoardGameGeek tells me, and will include Undead, Vamps, and Dark Elves.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

The Sudden Death expansion added 3 new races according to its description, but it doesn't say which ones. It seems like Undead and Khemri are two of them maybe so maybe Necro would be the third to keep up with the undead things theme.

e: It's Undead, Dark Elves, and Vampires, according to a review of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NutShellBill posted:

I suggest that, first, you shouldn't play a team whose primary method of winning games is fouling the poo poo out of the opposing team until they're so crippled you can actually manage to score plus stealing all their rerolls (which is especially crippling to a newbie player); and, second, as a much more experienced player, you should consider handicapping yourself significantly.

I'd say play an elfy team so you can still win but not through fouling/murder, if you really want to win. Otherwise play one of the substandard jokey teams; maybe vampires? There's lots of ways you can handicap yourself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Funso Banjo posted:

Nothing in the releases so far suggests this is the very, very good BloodBowl Team Manager game which FFG makes.

Over/under on it just being a frontend for whatever sim Cyanide BB uses for AI vs. AI matches?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

The Orange Mage posted:

Actually the first expansion is set to release very very soon from what BoardGameGeek tells me, and will include Undead, Vamps, and Dark Elves.
Those are bullshit teams; I want Norse, Amazons or Chaos Dwarves. >=(

But nice that they're finally expanding the game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Having trouble getting your block for your big guy? Pay $10 to get a FREE doubles upgrade for any player! Comes with free cheerleader DLC outfit! This game is going to be amazing, I can just tell :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tagichatn posted:

Having trouble getting your block for your big guy? Pay $10 to get a FREE doubles upgrade for any player! Comes with free cheerleader DLC outfit! This game is going to be amazing, I can just tell :allears:

Is this a joke or has cyanide actually said they are going to do poo poo like this for BB2?

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Is this a joke or has cyanide actually said they are going to do poo poo like this for BB2?

I think he's talking about the team manager game which is FTP so there is most likely going to be some sort of pay-for-advantage system. I can't see a huge market for cosmetic upgrades for a fake blood bowl team.

Steve Holt! fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

On the one hand it's obscene, on the other hand it'd make them SO much money guys. You have no idea.

• Locked thread