Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

the black husserl posted:

I just tried out the infantry showcase. My commanding whatever told me to move 100 meters forwards and I was like "whatever buddy" and ran off half a mile up a mountain. I saw a butterfly and chased it for like five minutes before I got tired.

Butterfly simulation. Game of the year.

ADHD Simulator 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
So far everything I have tried has run at least as well as ARMA 2 on my old AMD dual core/geforce 8800 setup. Sometimes I get up to 50 frames per second though, which is waaay more than I ever got in ARMA 2.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Assuming that any optimization happens between Alpha and V1.0, this should run great on just about any gaming-spec PC when it's finished. Congratulations are due to Bohemia for finally coming up with a proper next-gen engine, rather than a purely iterative refurbishing of the Operation Flashpoint tech.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Had a good time playing with some goons from the irc/teamspeak earlier, game is brilliant.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
I apologize if I missed it, but is anyone else not even able to launch the game? I launch it and it shows the process in task manager then it just auto-kills itself moments later. I've tried admin, beta drivers, etc etc and the thing wont loving launch.

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
Have you tried verifying the cache?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You've saved me so much time with experimenting you wonderful man. Also why the gently caress do Low shadows look better than standard or high?

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

madjdmyo posted:

Have you tried verifying the cache?

Well drat. This is the first time I have ever had to actually use that feature. It worked! Thanks, man.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Steeltalon posted:

Tweaking:
PIP: Quality seems to only changes how far away distant objects appear. Low seems to be perfectly fine. (eats lots of frames, as much as 20fps if enabled)
Disabled
Low
Standard
HIgh
Ultra

Post processing: Anything over normal seems to be excessive. Low or Normal seem to be a good middle ground.
Very Low
Low
Normal
High

Object render distances: How far away objects appear. This makes a huge difference in frames. (I'm running 800)

ATOC: dips frames noticably-- up to 10fps. Not much improvement visually, (I have it off)
Disabled
Trees + Grass

Texture quality: dependant on VRAM.
Low
Standard
High
Very High
Ultra

Object quality: same as Arma 2, renders how good poo poo looks depending on distance.
Low
Standard
High
Very High
Ultra

Cloud quality: disabled = A2 clouds. I cant tell the difference in quality from anything above standard. (so I just leave it on standard)
Disabled
Standard
High
Very High
Ultra

Shadow quality: I run Standard. Do not use Low, you will get lower FPS. (lol arma?) Quality difference between standard and High seem very similar to me. The exception being less jaggy on diagonals.
Low
Standard
High

Particle quality: effects things like smoke. Normal causes smoke particles to clip, while high does not. Hard to explain so see screenshots. Difference in Very high and High seem negligable. (I use high)
Normal
High
Very High

Working on more sceen shots.

My specs:
i5 3570k OC @ 4.3
16GB 2133mhz
GTX 580
SSD

Currently using:
Render:
AA: 2x
PPAA: OFF
ATOC: OFF
PP: Normal
AF: Very High
PIP: Standard
Dynamic Lights: High
Overall View Distance: 3000
Object view distance: 800
Shadow Distance: 100

Quality: Texture, Object, Terrain, Cloud, Shadow, Particle: High

E: added more screenshots, and fixed a duplicate.
E2: more screenshots

This needs to go into the OP asap. Thank you so much for this post.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Every time I place something in the editor its always way off of where I place it, just like in ARMA 2.

I guess I'll have to figure our how to use it this time, because so far the game runs really well.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

I get pretty mediocre FPS on high, but I think it's due to the fact that i'm running ATI crossfire 5970's since my CPU load rarely goes above 50%. I've always had issues with my cards in Arma 2.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

I just tried out the infantry showcase. My commanding whatever told me to move 100 meters forwards and I was like "whatever buddy" and ran off half a mile up a mountain. I saw a butterfly and chased it for like five minutes before I got tired.

Butterfly simulation. Game of the year.

I shot a tuna with a machine gun. That right there is worth $30 just by itself.

I'm amazed how well this runs on my Q6600 / Radeon 4850 / 4gb DDR3. Better than ARMA 2 even.

Hurry up and get here, new video card.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

This needs to go into the OP asap. Thank you so much for this post.

It is already in the OP... I updated it a few hours ago with a direct link to that post.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
If your Arma 3 crashes at the "Loading profile options" splash screen, put -nobenchmark in the command line ("set launch options..." in the general tab of the Arma 3 properties in Steam).

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Is anyone playing? I want to try hard the head hunters mission but I need more bodies to throw at the opfor.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Man, the infantry showcase is brutal. Every single time my entire squad dies before I get to the village and when charlie squad finally gets around to spotting the mortars you have like two minutes to neutralize them before bravo squad gets blown up.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

wargames posted:

Since you're the only one to have this problem sure let's just change everything for you.

I have it too. I think it's just a server group issue. I've had it for a month now.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Vatek posted:

Man, the infantry showcase is brutal. Every single time my entire squad dies before I get to the village and when charlie squad finally gets around to spotting the mortars you have like two minutes to neutralize them before bravo squad gets blown up.

I didn't have too hard a time with it. Use your grenade launcher liberally and try moving from cover to cover along the right side of the valley. It's a lot of fun! Plus, once you're done, you're in a good place to sneak up on the spotters and take them out.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For anyone wondering, the proxies needed for Arma 3 attachments on Arma 2 firearms have been found.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nomination for new/next thread title:

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Arma 3: I shot a tuna with a machine gun.

This really does feel like a proper generational leap forward for the series, though.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

The comparisons are great!

A suggestion on the post, though. Using TIMG means that the thumbnail is generated on the client, so everyone still pulls down each of the full 1920x1080 images, and the downscaling happens on their computer. Not an issue of bandwidth so much as scrolling becomes really chunky when there's a lot of huge timgs.
On top of that, expanding the TIMG doesn't even get you the full size picture, so you might be better off with a smaller thumbnail (imgur autogenerates one, just append "l" to the name of the image, and wrap it with a URL link so people can see the full size images.

This is more of a heads up if anyone wants to drop a bunch of images into any thread. Probably not worth going back and modifying the original post unless you really feel like it.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
You wanna listen to some tunes on my iTod?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

animatorZed posted:

On top of that, expanding the TIMG doesn't even get you the full size picture, so you might be better off with a smaller thumbnail (imgur autogenerates one, just append "l" to the name of the image, and wrap it with a URL link so people can see the full size images.
If you click on the resolution size number of the timg it expands to full size instead of limiting itself to your browser width.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I thought it was great that when I did the underwater showcase the downed chopper ended up as a static wreck visible underwater.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Be advised, fuckers attempting to sabotage the good works shown off in the movement and shooting tutorial from Dyslecxi.

quote:

Yeah, I agree with Max Power, that with duck-walk close quarters were no issue before. It was kinda too slow, though, but this now is far too fast.

I played a bit more, and its even more evident now that the animations look very stiff and unnatural, again, too fast. I mean turn on your 3rd person and watch your char go. Its silly. I feel kinda ashamed showing people this "new improved ArmA", while ArmA 2 looks so superior. The whole game now feels pretty cheap because of that, like a generic shooter.
Yes, he and the mod both advocated the duckwalk from Arma 2 as the answer for CQB.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Literal nutjobs.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I am amazed by the potential for all this, it seems like you could mod entire games into the engine. How about a game where you take a boat out and search for sunken treasure based on map coordinates?

Or having to race across the map in the fastest time, stopping in certain villages to pick up supplies?

Or how about something where you have to follow clues to track someone across the map? It seems like all of this would be possible for experienced modders.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Waiting for the Aliens mod personally.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It gets funnier -- he's a Supporter Edition buyer.

quote:

Yeah, I agree with Max Power, that with duck-walk close quarters were no issue before. It was kinda too slow, though, but this now is far too fast. Its sad to see that all the whiners from other games got their will... "Wah wah, its so clunky, and I cant play it because I am only used to CS-like controls".

I played a bit more, and its even more evident now that the animations look very stiff and unnatural, again, too fast. I mean turn on your 3rd person and watch your char go. Its silly. I feel kinda ashamed showing people this "new improved ArmA", while ArmA 2 looks so superior. The whole game now feels pretty cheap because of that, like a generic shooter. Also graphics arent that great. Textures, even on ultra, are very blurry on distance (like hill textures - making the whole scenery look very artificial) and most trees look like green blobs on medium to high distance.
So far I am pretty disappointed and almost regret paying for the supporter edition, but again, I strongly hope this is only due to alpha status.
My response was, however vague I may have been by citing Jay Crowe (creative director and Dyslecxi) is that I don't believe that it's just "whiners from other games" whose will is being implemented... it seems to be coming "from the top". ;)

Welp, from animations lead "Vespa":

quote:

In next update of the Alpha, there will be slight tweak of movement speeds - particularly sprinting will be slowed down.

The other speed issue, I believe it concerns the combat pace while in sights? In that case, you don't need to use it at all - in controls options, just assign "toggle walk/run" to RMB and it will override. The whole controls scheme is yet to be properly fleshed out, so no panic!
This implies that tactical pace works even when aiming down the sights, have any of you achieved this? :staredog:

EDIT: From "SMK Animations"/mo-cap man Smookie himself:

quote:

Oh, I made someone feel ashamed for showing ArmA3 :(

The animations as they are now are full of compromises to create a proper, reasonable and hopefully consistent experience for the user. As the guy who made SMK animations, I can only say that not all of my ideas made it through yet I feel positive about the outcome of things that did. With all the restrictions imposed (also due to features of general design like the consistent 1st and 3rd person animations = same file), I am pretty happy about the result of general movement. It has gone a really long way and will surely be worked on more in future, also on the movement speed part.

quote:

Yes, there were some recent design decisions made to introduce ironsights mode into tactical pace.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 6, 2013

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Nomination for new/next thread title:

This really does feel like a proper generational leap forward for the series, though.

For someone that's been playing BIS games for literally every step of the way: yeah, it's pretty awesome.

Although, we did have a scuba addon in a few missions I made back in the goon OFP days - this is much better, though

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I shot an officer once, then saw a snake escaping for the door. I think it was a sign God had blessed me to drive out the snakes from the island. God is great.

I will tread on you.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Does anybody know how to change the time of day in the mission editor?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

There is a little cloud at the top whose tooltip is 'Intel'. You can change the time and weather in there.

I am really liking it so far. The amount of content in the alpha is very low, probably less than 5% of the total content in ARMA 2, but from what's there you can tell everything has a good solid feel about it. The helicopter physics aren't as good as I hoped they would be after hearing they were implementing the Take On flying model. When flying in Take On you can really feel the effects of the helicopter being buffeted by the wind and the torque created by the rotors. So far the helicopters still feel like they are flying in a bit of a physics devoid vacuum. I am hoping the flight model is improved as updates are released. That is probably the greatest complaint I have about the alpha so far.

What's great though is how optimised the game is. I have a decent system and the game runs almost perfectly with everything on ultra, medium high view distance and a few select things turned down to normal or low which I actually prefer to when they are set to high. Using the editor I created a ridiculously large battle that would never happen and it crippled the fps. However I also created some large scale battles that could actually occur and the fps remained stable. This is extremely good news because one of the hallmarks of the ARMA series has been its ability to grind even high-end systems in to the dirt.

Along with the optimisation comes some drat fine visuals. Gun models look sharp, player models sport incredible detail and game world objects such as vehicles and buildings are all textured and modelled nicely. I especially love the Mediterranean look of the buildings in the villages you walk through. There is some weird pop-in and distortion with the trees and grass which is kind of a bummer, but only a minor distraction. When they are behaving correctly, they look very nice as they sway in the breeze. Weapon effects are gorgeous. Using the editor to create a squadron of helicopters in a battle against some ground vehicles is an incredibly satisfying experience. At night it looks even better, as the chopper's rockets turn night into day. The map itself is also very conducive to warfare despite its small size of only 20sqkm. The full map will be 270sqkm... I can't wait for that!

Probably my favourite aspect of this game and of all ARMA games is the sound. Guns just sound powerful and have a real kick especially with a decent sound setup (I use headphones). My favourite sound effect is when you are under fire and you can hear the bullets cracking as they pass you. When you hear that it usually means you're seconds away from death. Other sounds such as vehicles, helicopters, explosions and the rest are also of top quality.

I mainly love playing with the editor, so the only showcase I have played with so far is the infantry one, and it is loving hard. I can't even get past the first objective without my squad and myself dying. I think I'll try again with the skill turned down a notch. I also haven't tried multiplayer yet. Looking forward to playing with some Australians from somethingawful, though. Any word on how the netcode is for international play?

BI are really kick arse developers and it was a masterstroke on their part to release an alpha in lieu of just accepting money for pre-orders. This way you actually get something for your money, and they have a neat little feedback page where you can post bugs you have encountered or suggestions. It's nice to see some of those issues being tackled by the developers and resolved quickly. Even nicer is the calm rational way people are reporting issues. Compared to say, how the Diablo 3 community conducted themselves it's a refreshing change to see a large group of gamers behaving like grown-ups.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Up near the top, mouse over the different buttons until you find 'Intel'. Click on it, and look for the time of day settings near the top right. This window is where you set weather conditions as well.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Its nice to feel like finally entering a building isn't an immediate death trap.

The movement system is so much better

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Mederlock posted:

Up near the top, mouse over the different buttons until you find 'Intel'. Click on it, and look for the time of day settings near the top right. This window is where you set weather conditions as well.

Thanks...walking through forests at night in this game is AMAZING. It feels like goddamn predator even with the silly AI. Seriously, the potential...the first game I've played in years that made me feel like this.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
"Oh it plays a lot more like a shooter now!" :allears:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For any one that is confused by the new controls there is an arma 2 preset.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Also turbo and fast forward are the same thing. I like to use 2xW for sprinting and that key ins ONLY works for fast forward; not turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For anyone trying to loot primary weapon ammo, from dev DarkDruid:

quote:

You have to open vest (it is item in inventory) of fallen soldier by double click on it. Magazines are there ;)