Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

I've already contacted TotalHalibut/Biscuit several times already, got through to his business person once, she said she's pass the game along but that was as far as we got :) I'll try again with some of the others.

The problem with TotalHalibut/Biscuit is that he tends to review things right as they come out, and RPG isn't a genre that he's fond of making videos of since it takes a while to get into it - it's not a true 'first impressions' if he's been playing for 10~ hours to see all the mechanics the game has to offer.

That's why you'd be better off trying JesseCox, who does more niche stuff for several episodes, or maybe even sending a key to the Yogscast. Heck, you could send a key to every member of the Yogscast since they all have their own channel with their own videos. Hannah might enjoy it.

And as much as I can't stand his commentary, PaperBatVG is a good option too for his extensive coverage of Terraria.

WarLocke posted:

except for the sheep one.

If you want the easiest strategy for that one spoiled:

Max Chill on one IceMage. Max Bleed on one Berserker. Max Critical on Archers + Max Zeal on Healer + Max Frenzy if you truly want overkill and sync it up with the Healer's Zeal for a slaughtering good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Jesto posted:

If you want the easiest strategy for that one spoiled:

Max Chill on one IceMage. Max Bleed on one Berserker. Max Critical on Archers + Max Zeal on Healer + Max Frenzy if you truly want overkill and sync it up with the Healer's Zeal for a slaughtering good time.

Problem is I'm playing 'hero mode' (just the 6 storyline characters) so I'll end up recalling them and repositioning and hoping I do enough damage over time. A million HP is a lot even for level 34/35 characters.

KoB
May 1, 2009

WarLocke posted:

I probably bought the game before you bought the banner ad, but it was talk here that made me aware of it.

I definitely wouldnt have given this the time of day without recommendations from this site (the art really doesnt do anything for me. Good thing its a fantastic game). I think the steam thread was positive towards it so I picked it up and now I'm stuck on the last level of NG+ with 3 stars in almost everything.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

WarLocke posted:

Problem is I'm playing 'hero mode' (just the 6 storyline characters) so I'll end up recalling them and repositioning and hoping I do enough damage over time. A million HP is a lot even for level 34/35 characters.

I hope your Hero Mode save isn't your first playthrough of the game. :( There's honestly a lot of content and story in NewGame+ you're not gonna see otherwise, some of those battles are downright unwinnable with only 6.

You could export your Hero Mode savefile, import it into the second save file slot and play through that one buying extra units if so.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 25, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jesto posted:

I hope your Hero Mode save isn't your first playthrough of the game. :( There's honesty a lot of content and story in NewGame+ you're not gonna see otherwise, some of those battles are downright unwinnable with only 6.

But... there are achievements for finishing NG+ in hero mode. That's why I started that way. :negative:

Not that big a deal if I have to restart, game is awesome and I've barely touched anything else in my steam library since starting it.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

larsiusprime posted:

Whoa. 9 confirmed conversions from Something Awful ad-viewing customers so far. 2 more sales and we break even on this advertising thingy and it's been less than 3 days. So apparently this is a great place to advertise!

You picked up a lot of people from the thread, too; I wouldn't have purchased the game if I hadn't randomly found the thread here.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So when you find out what Zelemir's plan is and the 'battle-path' splits does the storyline diverge there or can you do both?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I bought this game back when it was demo'd on kongregate and finally played through recently, I actually got through the first half before updating it and wow, what a change, the graphics are significantly cooler now. Really love this game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

WarLocke posted:

So when you find out what Zelemir's plan is and the 'battle-path' splits does the storyline diverge there or can you do both?

You can do both, the path splits and you can even hop between the two paths as you go.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

WarLocke posted:

You can do both, nothing you do will lock you out of any content in the game. But the top one won't unlock NewGame+, so you might as well do it first and then continue to the bottom.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So my librarian is level 43 now and my 'get your librarian to level 40' achievement is stuck at 93%. :iiam:

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
That is pretty weird. Achievements resolve whenever you hit the overworld. So maybe try exiting out of the game and trying again? If the problem persists send me your save file and I can inspect it for you.

In other news, we just posted some more stats, the surprising results of the Steam Linux launch

larsiusprime fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 28, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

larsiusprime posted:

That is pretty weird. Achievements resolve whenever you hit the overworld. So maybe try exiting out of the game and trying again? If the problem persists send me your save file and I can inspect it for you.

It finally hit 100% when I leveled to 45. :iiam:

Also I was kind of hoping you guys got more sales during the... sale. If my math is right that ~2000 copies is only ~15.5k gross sales (before whatever amount Steam takes I guess), which is still nice (about what I make in a year :negative:) but I thought it would be... more.

Anyway, awesome game, have the first playthrough almost 100% (extreme stars for the last two battles left IIRC) and am working on NG+ - I like how when you upgrade uniques they get special (unique :haw:) bonuses. Wrenna is gonna be using that 'x3 dmg to snails/behemoths' staff a LOT, I think.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So far I've completed everything in the first playthrough (except the achievement for Endless Challenge 2; last time I tried it I only made it to wave 90) and am most of the way through NG+; at 171 gold stars and starting to slow down. Even with my 6 heroes at level 58-60 some of the later fights on Extreme are really drat close things.

Hell, the sidequests where you only get two characters (especially the damned Bakal/Slak one) are kicking my rear end, and I have no idea how I'll kill a 5 million HP Super Sheep.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I'm pretty sure a lot of battles in NG+ are literally impossible unless you're hacking the game if you're not recruiting anyone. :( The last level of NewGame+ was beyond difficult even with 36 fully geared out characters at level 60.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jesto posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of battles in NG+ are literally impossible unless you're hacking the game if you're not recruiting anyone. :( The last level of NewGame+ was beyond difficult even with 36 fully geared out characters at level 60.

Finally did it.

I think I might spend the metric shittons of scrap I have on new recruits now so I can maybe actually get the rest of the stars. Dunno if I have enough left to level them though. :negative:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
That is insane hahaha. Nice work.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I was playing through Puzzle Quest for the umpteenth time and lamenting how there has never been another good game like it. Then I imagined what it would be like if larsius and crew made a Puzzle Quest-style game and I think it would be literally the most addictive and fun game ever made.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WarLocke posted:

Finally did it.

I think I might spend the metric shittons of scrap I have on new recruits now so I can maybe actually get the rest of the stars. Dunno if I have enough left to level them though. :negative:

You can adjust the experience rate in the options menu, which helps a lot with new recruits.

Even without that, new recruits catch up pretty fast, in my experience.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

You can adjust the experience rate in the options menu, which helps a lot with new recruits.

Even without that, new recruits catch up pretty fast, in my experience.

Yeah I've had it at 300% since I first found the option. I hired all the characters I could and tried Endless 2 again, didn't quite get the achievement but all my new recruits went from 1 to 12 afterwards.

Not sure I have enough scrap to buy them all weapons/armor though, at least not end-game stuff, it's pretty expensive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WarLocke posted:

Not sure I have enough scrap to buy them all weapons/armor though, at least not end-game stuff, it's pretty expensive.

There are enough artifacts to equip half your people, and once upgraded they're nearly all greater than what you can purchase.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I've had it at 300% since I first found the option. I hired all the characters I could and tried Endless 2 again, didn't quite get the achievement but all my new recruits went from 1 to 12 afterwards.

The nice thing about NewGame+ is that you don't have to buy much equipment at all, everything you can upgrade with skulls is better than any equipment sold in stores. So that covers most of your equipment issues.

Also, the best way to win Endless 2 is with the Shock Lightning book with your Lightning spell maxed. You'll be getting ridiculous amounts of Psi, so you can afford to stunlock as many enemies as you like in key areas where you have maximum damage focused.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Hey guys! We've started a new thingy here. Developer's "Let's Play" with commentary and stuff, just like on DVDs!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

Hey guys! We've started a new thingy here. Developer's "Let's Play" with commentary and stuff, just like on DVDs!

That's awesome! You guys mentioned that there were secrets in the game you didn't get too many emails about, though. Can you list a few the average player wouldn't get, or that the obsessive 100% completionist wouldn't get? :P

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

I'll just say this...

There are about a dozen or so secrets for which there is no public evidence that they have been discovered by anybody.
This is mostly our fault, as good secrets are designed to be found, somehow. We might put out a patch sometime to put some "hints" in, as well as make some in-game rewards for finding the secrets.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

larsiusprime posted:

I'll just say this...

There are about a dozen or so secrets for which there is no public evidence that they have been discovered by anybody.
This is mostly our fault, as good secrets are designed to be found, somehow. We might put out a patch sometime to put some "hints" in, as well as make some in-game rewards for finding the secrets.

Are we talking like obscure things like "place <X> ice mages on stage <Y>" or something even more strange like "place hero character on tile <X>"?

Still loving this game. Definitely purchased it thanks to this thread a few months back. And it's nice to see the dev team so active in feedback here and on the web.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

I think I did find one a while back, I just wasn't smart enough to figure out how to solve it. :( I noticed some certain symbols on a certain giant rock slab in a cutscene, and noticed they didn't look quite right compared to how the text had been used elsewhere in the game. So I took the image and flipped it upsidedown, and noticed that for some reason the message had been carved onto the rock upsidedown.

I then found the font that was used for it and realized there didn't seem to be a way for me to directly translate the font into English, so I gave up.

It took you saying that to make me remember that since I first tried to decipher the letters, I had unlocked Play+. And you can compare the symbols in Play to the translated letters in Play+ to directly translate if you have time and patience.

Well, I had the time and I had the patience and you're a real bastard, Lars. :)

EDIT: Edited out for others to figure out. Suckers!

That's as close as I could get due to the lighting issues and the cracks, but I think I can figure out what it says.

There's writing on the pillars in the sides of the room as well, but it's too small to decipher more than a few letters and zooming in turns them into pixelated junk.

Are all the secrets like this? :P

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 10, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My dad works for Nintendo and he said that if you bear NG+ with Slak only, and you don't put any points into skills, you unlock a secret mission and if you win it replaces the Dragon with Ezil Tenoch.

Edit:
What I meant to say was Eztli-Tenoch, I can't believe I spelled it that close from memory.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 9, 2013

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

They're all mostly "hidden in plain sight" kinda stuff, looks like Jesto has found one of them :) I'm probably going to activate a new location in a future patch which will make finding these secrets actually do something for you. And maybe throw in one ridiculous bonus battle or two to give it some further meaning.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My dad works for Nintendo and he said that if you bear NG+ with Slak only, and you don't put any points into skills, you unlock a secret mission and if you win it replaces the Dragon with Ezil Tenoch.

Dude, don't tempt me, I'm just crazy enough to try something like that :P

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
How do you access NG+?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

demonachizer posted:

How do you access NG+?

Beat the game, hit New Game+ on the load screen.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

They're all mostly "hidden in plain sight" kinda stuff, looks like Jesto has found one of them :)

Do the stuff on the columns actually say something? Because it's pretty much impossible to decipher them without high resolution images of that background.

Also, further secret attempts: Attempted to rename Azra to Zelemir and the Sorceress's name, thinking it might change her sprite into theirs in battle. :( No dice.

I have been wondering about this bit of graffiti, though. It doesn't match up with any in-game text and is a tad too short, however, so I think it's just there for aesthetic reasons.

I can't find any other text hidden around the game, unfortunately. The idea of a bonus battle does sound intriguing, though. Possibly a boss rush with Zelemir, Sorceress and Big Bad at three corners of the battle map and Azra at the fourth, while waves of enemies and the few non-stationary bosses marching towards her? :)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jesto posted:

Also, further secret attempts: Attempted to rename Azra to Zelemir and the Sorceress's name, thinking it might change her sprite into theirs in battle. :( No dice.

I'm disappointed that this doesn't actually work.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Uh. Lars?

What is this? :stare: Is there some great big mystery locked away inside of Defender's Quest?

Also, how big of a fan is your writer of the Mummy series, with regards to the big bad and the sorceress's plotline? :)

Jesto fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 9, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

larsiusprime posted:

Dude, don't tempt me, I'm just crazy enough to try something like that :P

That seems like a solidly impossible challenge to me. :stare:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

That seems like a solidly impossible challenge to me. :stare:

At level 1000!? :shepface:

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Hahaha, this is what we get for letting the Internet know that secrets exist.

@Jesto:
It seems you've discovered one of our unused locations :) I'll spare you all some insanity right now: we have a lot of secrets in the game, but they're not the super awesome special do-something-cool kind... at least not yet. But now that I see there's some interest in it, when I finish my massive to-do list I'll make some special behind-the-scene tweaks that change that :)

I figure it's best if I don't get more specific than that. Wouldn't want to spoil the funzors.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Edit: Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

A wild Episode 2 appears!

Goon uses "Watch-then-post-snarky-comment" !

It's super effective!

• Locked thread