Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CottonWolf posted:

This madness! I went out shopping and by the time I got back not only was the Kickstarter halfway there, but all the earlybird boxes had gone. I jumped in and grabbed one when someone moved off, but hell, this is going insanely fast. Congrats Brother None!

Well, I'm really glad I jumped on that one when I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Well I grabbed a spot at 110$ without thinking too hard about it. Planescape:Torment is my favorite game of all time and a sequel has been one of my wildest fantasies for years. We'll see if cold hard reality makes me downgrade to the boxed copy at some point.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This is really boss, by the way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's comparison graphs for other big projects (From P:E thread):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Brother None posted:

Well, we wanted to do a callback, but it's not the focal point of the pitch. The focus is mostly on "this is what we want to do".

put be down for another person who thinks that part of the video should have been cut. I know that it's not a focus, but it being right at the beginning almost made me turn the video off. good thing I didn't because the rest of the video very much sold me. I went from having pretty big doubts about the setting/story to being totally on board.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Welp, there goes my money. I don't actually *need* a new HDD now, do I ;).

Also, please, please make us able to choose the protagonist's gender. Even if it's just cosmetic. For me and many other women, it helps, *a lot*, in identifying with one's character and properly getting into their head if they're of the same gender as you. Now, the original Planescape proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that we don't need a same-gender main character to think this game's great, but choose-yer-gender, even if just a cosmetic choice, does make the game even greater for a large part of the audience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So, apparently some people like their old fashioned RPGs.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

stille posted:

Welp, there goes my money. I don't actually *need* a new HDD now, do I ;).

Also, please, please make us able to choose the protagonist's gender. Even if it's just cosmetic. For me and many other women, it helps, *a lot*, in identifying with one's character and properly getting into their head if they're of the same gender as you. Now, the original Planescape proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that we don't need a same-gender main character to think this game's great, but choose-yer-gender, even if just a cosmetic choice, does make the game even greater for a large part of the audience.

I wanna second this.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
It's apparent now how incredibly popular Planescape Tormemt really is. :)

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

At the very least, make gender a stretch goal. If voice acted games can pull it off, so can Torment 2.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Just for reference P:E got 705,095 dollars on day 1 and Wasteland 2 got 470,575. So I think it's safe to say this is the now fastest fundraising game ever on Kickstarter!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

So, apparently some people like their old fashioned RPGs.
That can't be true! After all, publishers have told me for the last 15 or so years that nobody wants old fashioned RPG's and that I should be ashamed for hoping for a return of them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm sure this will get lost in the KS frenzy but since this is kinda the Torment thread: does anyone know where to find a pdf or scanned copy of the really awful novelisation of Planescape Torment ? I bought the GOG pack and was excited to see a novel in there only for it to be a fan-written one baserd on the dialogue of the game.

I remember seeing an excerpt way back which depicted the nameless one as an idiot who gave himself a name within chapter one, and a review saying he killed the Transcendent One in the end purely by accidental bungling.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zilkin posted:

Just for reference P:E got 705,095 dollars on day 1 and Wasteland 2 got 470,575. So I think it's safe to say this is the now fastest fundraising game ever on Kickstarter!

DFA got a million within the first 24 hours.

This will probably beat even that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm sure this will get lost in the KS frenzy but since this is kinda the Torment thread: does anyone know where to find a pdf or scanned copy of the really awful novelisation of Planescape Torment ? I bought the GOG pack and was excited to see a novel in there only for it to be a fan-written one baserd on the dialogue of the game.

I remember seeing an excerpt way back which depicted the nameless one as an idiot who gave himself a name within chapter one, and a review saying he killed the Transcendent One in the end purely by accidental bungling.

That's the author:

“Ray and I have worked together on various projects, off and on, since 1994. We were both a part of the development team for the Planescape line for TSR, and I look on that time as one of the best parts of my career. During that time, he edited Dead Gods, which I wrote, and is now considered by many to be one of the best Dungeons & Dragons adventures of all time. Later, when I was running my own company, Malhavoc Press, I returned to Ray again and again when I needed editorial or design assistance. I consider him to be one of the best editors that I have ever worked with. Ray edited my short story collection, Small Matters, and he is currently editing books for my latest game, Numenera. I can’t recommend him highly enough.”

— Monte Cook, author and game designer, of Monte Cook Games and Stone Box Press

“I have worked with Ray Vallese professionally over the past twenty years, and I say without hesitation that he is a truly gifted editor. He is extraordinarily detail-oriented and has an excellent command of style and the English language, able to discuss at length specific grammatical constructions and… well, that sounds boring. To non-editors, anyway. To people who would consider hiring Ray, let me say this: he is not an invasive editor. He is respectful of your words and your voice, and through his work he brings out the true expression of what you want to say. For my Oathbreaker series, he caught leaden or awkward constructions and rephrased them. He helped develop the stories’ potential and picked up loose ends I had forgotten so I could wrap them up properly and turn them into a complete plot.”

— Colin McComb, award-winning game designer and author of the Oathbreaker series

Apparently writing and editing are two different things.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Megazver posted:

... of course they are.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Megazver posted:

Uh, yeah dude. There's kind of huge million dollar industries surrounding each of them.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

$700,000 in under 5 hours is a good start, and it's just got the Notch Twitter bump as well.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Megazver posted:

Tell Brian that we get it, but he should probably ease up on the RARGH PUBLISHERS stuff at this point.

...especially since he founded and led one of the largest publishers of the 90s.

Brother None posted:

Well, we wanted to do a callback, but it's not the focal point of the pitch. The focus is mostly on "this is what we want to do".

That segment looked more like a callback to Kixeye's recruiting campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5l-nnR4Bx0

The tinny audio and liberal use of Adobe Audition's silence transformer also don't bode well for the rest of the video, which is actually rather well-done.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who didn't get in on the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter, that $45 price-point is loving gold. Y'all know that, right? Of course y'all know that. Gold, Brother None.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I feel like a complete retard. Here I am, going around in this thread and the kickstarter thread being all doom and gloom. I was sure that people would be stingy with their wallets towards a second campaign when inXile hadn't finished the first. I was afraid that they wouldn't end up with enough cash to make a good successor, and I wasn't about to donate to that.

Considering that in the two hours since I last checked they've made $200k, I was way off. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is and throwing in. It's nice to be proven wrong every once and a while!

Fake Edit: In the time it took me to write this post, they made $20k. :stare:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Honestly I personally thought and think some skepticism was warranted, and since we started talking about this Kickstarter with the core team at the end of last year we recognized the difficulties, challenges and reasons to be skeptical. I think it helps that we didn't avoid them, we simply openly talked about them, and offered a more detailed, fleshed-out pitch. Worked out pretty well for us so far!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Based on Colin McComb's twitter feed, if he's doing the writing we're in good hands.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey, Brother None, I'd have probably been less likely to pledge immediately had you not been around here sharing and responding. Good on you for due diligence and being a pretty cool poster (not a shill). :getin:

Anyway, yeah, tell Fargo we get it and totally agree certain AAA publishers are the worst but it's starting to feel a bit peevish.

Back to things, Although I don't have the money to purchase, those character statues look brutal as gently caress.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
$800k in 5 hours. Craziness! Give it another 30 minutes and it'll be fully funded!!

I've been bombarding Twitter/Facebook with this same message, but I'll say it here, too: Kickstarter makes me more excited about videogames than just about anything else in the past decade. How did we ever get by without it?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
It's funny that even with all the detail they give on the page, I still hunger for details. I guess that means I'm somewhat invested. For example: The 'Tides,' and their relationship to your Legacy. Does each tide affect your legacy separately? Does each have a sliding scale that goes up or down, or do they amalgamate into one sort of super-alignment? Why aren't there any tides that affect negative things/emotions (death, fear, rejection, etc.?)

Gah, all of these questions and more! gently caress, I hope this game is good so that the answers excite me when the game comes out, rather than disappoint me.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Took one look at the backer levels and threw in for what looks like the last $95 level. I really, really want this to succeed if it's going to be anywhere near the level of PS:T.

Oh poo poo it's almost hit the goal.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Alkanos posted:

I feel like a complete retard. Here I am, going around in this thread and the kickstarter thread being all doom and gloom. I was sure that people would be stingy with their wallets towards a second campaign when inXile hadn't finished the first. I was afraid that they wouldn't end up with enough cash to make a good successor, and I wasn't about to donate to that.

Considering that in the two hours since I last checked they've made $200k, I was way off. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is and throwing in. It's nice to be proven wrong every once and a while!

Fake Edit: In the time it took me to write this post, they made $20k. :stare:

I'm sure most people are curious/cautious how this project would end up turning out since WL2 hasn't come out yet. It's a pleasant surprise that the campaign is owning.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I think the concept art really helped sell the game also. I know when I was looking at it I couldn't help but think "drat I want this game to be made".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Quick general Kickstarter tip for everyone who's not sure about how much to pledge: the only thing you should choose right now is if there is any limited tier level you could reasonably want, and book a spot in them.

After you've done that, stop thinking about it and make your choice at the end of the Kickstarter when all the information has been posted - stretch goals, concept previews, and so forth. There is no reason to waste time throughout the month cringing and going "oh my god I should totally raise my pledge" every time a nugget of info appears.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Welp I just broke down and backed this having never played Planescape, but I dig Baldur's Gate and the Fallouts. I also appreciated the free game I got for backing Wasteland 2, so maybe we'll get a free copy of Planescape out of this?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Threw in my piece to the pie.

All these kickstarters are worth it for nothing but the effort InExile et al put into them. If I get some kickass rpgs out of the deal, all the better.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Brother None posted:

Easiest is to check the graphical representations of each tier see exactly what they contain, digital and physical. It depends on what tier you pick.

So... If I wanted the 45 dollars reward, but also the soundtrack and digital manual, I'm SOL? Isn't that a tad... weird? Would it be possible to "add" such things, perhaps for a few dollars more?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Haha

quote:

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo

What's funny is that our Producer Kevin Saunders is at the dentist and has NO idea what is going on yet.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iacen posted:

So... If I wanted the 45 dollars reward, but also the soundtrack and digital manual, I'm SOL? Isn't that a tad... weird? Would it be possible to "add" such things, perhaps for a few dollars more?
Scroll down to the add-ons section. Soundtrack is $8. Manuals are already part of the $45 tier.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Cons: inXile are unproven as a top-tier studio, the video is painful, "what does one life matter" is a cliché, and I will be blown away if the Tides thing doesn't come out cumbersome and heavy-handed.

Pros: Wasteland 2 might not be the disaster I expected it to be, and Kevin Saunders is Not An Idiot (this is high praise) so if he's bought then I'll risk it. Also thanks to the magic of exchange rates, the £13 buying in now costs me is barely more than bargain-bin prices.

Something I don't think is addressed is how big this thing is going to be? Are they aiming for a PST amount of content?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 6, 2013

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

PurplieNurplie posted:

It's funny that even with all the detail they give on the page, I still hunger for details. I guess that means I'm somewhat invested. For example: The 'Tides,' and their relationship to your Legacy. Does each tide affect your legacy separately? Does each have a sliding scale that goes up or down, or do they amalgamate into one sort of super-alignment? Why aren't there any tides that affect negative things/emotions (death, fear, rejection, etc.?)

THROW MORE MONEY AT IT SO WE CAN FIND OUT

edit: threw 50 dollars myself but I'm very glad this is getting funded the hell out of it :)

About 20k to go right now, so ooh, maybe 10 more minutes...? Who knew Planescape had so many fans!

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Ground Floor of this hitting it's goal! I'm guessing another 15 minutes and we're gold.

Also holy poo poo I'm glad I got in early, the second tier of boxed copy is gonna be gone soon.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Holy hell the rate this is getting funded is unreal. Is this going to set a Kickstarter record?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

coffeetable posted:

Something I don't think is addressed is how big this thing is going to be? Are they aiming for a PST amount of content?
That probably depends on how much money they end up with, both from the Kickstarter and from Wasteland 2's sales.

• Locked thread