Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sefer posted:

I wanted to point this out one last time, since there are 14 hours to go and just over $600 needed. Indiegogo takes a lower percentage from flexible funding campaigns that meet their goal than ones who don't (which is kinda messed up, since the ones that don't make it clearly need the money more), so anyone interested in indepentent comics should check this out.

He made his goal! :toot::toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I have tried any number of lifehacking/getting things done/habit forming websites and none of them have done poo poo for me, but I swear to god HabitRPG actually gets me off my rear end and doing stuff. The concept is pretty simple, you get XP and gold for completing tasks you set for yourself. Enough XP and you level up, enough gold and you can spend it on treats like movies and junk food.

I have no idea why I'm so invested in it, your avatar doesn't even change when you level up and I don't even like RPGs anyway. He's asking for $25,000 for extra features and mobile apps and a non-flaky website and such. I don't know if that's good value for money or not, but I hope he makes it - it's touch-and-go at this point and it would be a shame to see it disappear now I'm all the way up to level 3.

(No I do not get a cut of the money.)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Man, he's like my gamification twin. I'm planning on starting a campaign soon for a Getting Things Done style web app I've written, written using AngularJS and the target will likely be $25,000. So I probably better donate. There's some cool ideas in there I'd probably like to explore as well for my app. :)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Maluco Marinero posted:

Man, he's like my gamification twin.

Do you also have vaguely toupeeish hair and a goony pipe?

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
This was brought to my attention the other day but it's starting to look like unless there's a late surge they won't be able to open a cat cafe in London. Which is shame because not only would this place be amazing, it would also offer a home to dozens of adult rescues that might otherwise be sat in London shelters for a long time.

If you're more interested in games, chack out Unwritten: That Which Happened; an amazing looking strategy game which uses elements like the history of storytelling, shadow puppet graphics and amazing tribal music. They only have hours left to reach their goal and are only 70% there.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Underwater Shoe posted:

This was brought to my attention the other day but it's starting to look like unless there's a late surge they won't be able to open a cat cafe in London. Which is shame because not only would this place be amazing, it would also offer a home to dozens of adult rescues that might otherwise be sat in London shelters for a long time.

Oh, that's really depressing. And I can't help feeling that it would have done much better had it have been on kickstarter, just because of the higher traffic... It wasn't even using flexible funding, so I can't see any benefit to the indiegogo route.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

CottonWolf posted:

Oh, that's really depressing. And I can't help feeling that it would have done much better had it have been on kickstarter, just because of the higher traffic... It wasn't even using flexible funding, so I can't see any benefit to the indiegogo route.

It's only recently that Kickstarter started allowing non-American project creators; the project may have started before then, or they just may not have realized Kickstarter had recently changed its policy.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dark energy resevoir premium portable charger

My friends project, a portable USB charger. Multiple phone/tablet charges, kind of cool.

I would help but I recently lost my job... Best I can do is to share it I guess.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I was going to say "so what," but I don't think I've seen a decent charger that does MULTIPLE charges. Very cool.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

CottonWolf posted:

In case anyone was wondering, by some miracle the late surge has happened and they now have under £10,000 more to find in the next 19 hours. I'm so pleased it looks like it's going to work out for them.

They definitely should have used kickstarter though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Underwater Shoe posted:

In case anyone was wondering, by some miracle the late surge has happened and they now have under £10,000 more to find in the next 19 hours. I'm so pleased it looks like it's going to work out for them.

They definitely should have used kickstarter though.

They made it. Just. I'm definitely going to head over there for a visit when it finally opens.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ralph Bakshi is trying to crowdfund his next movie.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
Russ Abbott (really great tattoo artist from GA) is putting together an ornamental design book that looks stellar. If you're into tattoos or design, this would be a cool thing to check out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/russabbott/ornamental-archive

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
A Kickstarter that I'm tangentially involved in. Full disclosure below.

A whole bunch of geek indie culture types have united to put on NineWorlds, a weekend-long, multi-genre "GeekFest" to be held in London on August 9th-11th, a "mutant hybrid of a science fiction convention crossed with a TED talks conference".

The reasoning was that multi-genre / interest cons are reasonably common in continental Europe, but absent from the UK where cons tend to the hyper-specific ("meet your favourite characters from 'Space Above & Beyond'!"). The organisers are a hard-working lot and I admire the way they're trying to do the right thing. (No one on the committee is getting paid for putting on the con, they've approaches a lot of local interest / hobby groups to put on the different streams, etc.)

Event and activity streams include: Film Festival, Board Gaming, Social gaming, Video Games Culture, Indie Comics, Creative writing, Costuming, Maker, Geek Feminism, Sci-Fi and Fantasy Literature, Star Trek, Discworld, Whedon, Tolkien Fandom, Occult and Paranormal, Skeptic, Star Wars, Doctor Who & Torchwood, Science, SF & F Academia, Queer Fandom, Steampunk, Fanfic, Harry Potter fandom, Role Play Gaming, Collectible card gaming, Open culture, Game of Thrones.

Guests include: Paul Cornell, Ben Aaronovitch, Marion Gibson, Edmund Weiner, Tricia Sullivan, Jaine Fenn, Cory Doctorow, Stephen Hunt, Anne Gay, Stan Nicholls, Roz Kaveney, Kate Madison, Kim Newman.

The Kickstarter is to sell tickets for the con in advance. (Another point in their favour - they're not just begging for money.) And my involvment is that they approached my game club to do the boardgaming stream and I'm the pointman for that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Space Above and Beyond was loving awesome.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

outlier posted:

A whole bunch of geek indie culture types have united to put on NineWorlds, a weekend-long, multi-genre "GeekFest" to be held in London on August 9th-11th, a "mutant hybrid of a science fiction convention crossed with a TED talks conference".

Real kudos for this:

Nine Worlds posted:

But what about Fake Geek Girls?

We will cut you

(off from attending, if you spout this kind of nonsense.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Educational materials for data journalism

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Story War, a card game where you and your team try to argue why the cards you played would defeat the opposing teams cards.

It sounds fun, has already been designed, and they are not asking for much.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

tinaun posted:

Story War, a card game where you and your team try to argue why the cards you played would defeat the opposing teams cards.

This is a cool idea, adding the card game fun whilst removing the rules lawyering. With the right crowd I think it'd be good fun. Likely sling them a tenner. I like that they're doing a Print and Play release too.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

tinaun posted:

Thanks for the heads up, this looks pretty fun. Chucked a tenner their way as I love guys that do print and play options.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This is amazing: 3Doodler: The World's First 3D Printing Pen

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
Hot on the heels of my successful poster project - I present to you the Zombie Hoodie : Link!

About 7 years ago we introduced a hoodie that featured a skeleton print from front to back, top to bottom. We have been selling them for years, but we were limited in what we could do to improve them. We do not have the equipment required to print in full color on the scale that we need... We designed a Zombie hoodie several years ago but haven't been able to make it reality.

Now, with the help of Kickstarter, we might be able to afford the equipment (approx 10k after shipping) needed to get the job done.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

tinaun posted:

Story War is having a crossover special with Machine of Death where backers of both projects get cards that reference the other games. Both games look pretty cool and are already fully funded, so this is a nice little reward for pre-ordering both games.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
My favorite Kickstarter is Electric Six' Live DVD. It's already funded with 34 days left, Electric Six is the best live band ever, they have some rad as hell pledge awards, a ridiculous pledge/backer ratio and the best goddamned kickstarter campaign video ever. They also don't have any stretch goals but they still get money, which I think is funny.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Empire Eden... would you like to play a Contra/Metroid-esque game as a :krad: naked tribal native who channels ancestral animal spirits, spies on naked women bathing in secluded ponds, uses rocket launchers and laser guns, and gets chased by giant robots?

This game is already looking great and the composers they're working with for the music have written some fantastic sounding stuff.

It's the first Kickstarter project I've ever backed, so I figure that counts for something?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

xezton posted:

Empire Eden... would you like to play a Contra/Metroid-esque game as a :krad: naked tribal native who channels ancestral animal spirits, spies on naked women bathing in secluded ponds, uses rocket launchers and laser guns, and gets chased by giant robots?

This game is already looking great and the composers they're working with for the music have written some fantastic sounding stuff.

It's the first Kickstarter project I've ever backed, so I figure that counts for something?

Interesting, reminds me of Jill of the Jungle.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Death Inc. looks amazing, but they probably won't make it. Still it looks like a serious project and I hope the studio keeps on working on it.

herakles
Jan 17, 2009
My friends just started a Kickstarter project for an open-source, Raspberry Pi powered automatic bartending robot, Bartendro.

Having been party to the testing sessions for this magnificent device, I am hopeful for its success, partly because my friends are cool and partly because it's a neat thing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

herakles posted:

My friends just started a Kickstarter project for an open-source, Raspberry Pi powered automatic bartending robot, Bartendro.

Having been party to the testing sessions for this magnificent device, I am hopeful for its success, partly because my friends are cool and partly because it's a neat thing.

Very cool. The big self-serve units at bar are literally insane and weigh about 500 lbs.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I really like this drawing project: Draw Like a Boss

A drawing course presented a bit like a game, acquiring skills and tools to defeat the final boss. Great promotional video. Plus, the Ryan North and Kate Beaton endorsements made me laugh.

I also wish that more Kickstarter projects were as well-prepared as this one is, with a pie-chart that breaks down expenses, and everybody who backs the project is added to this image the update on a daily basis.

Yes, it is in GBP but don't let that stop you from learning to draw insanely cute little rats.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
The Rifftrax crew is raising funds in an attemp to secure the rights to Twilight (or, failing that, something from their "worst movies" poll) for their live show this August. They admit to not knowing what that would actually cost (or if the studio would ever agree to it at any price), but any money they don't end up spending for that purpose will go towards getting a celebrity guest or otherwise enhancing the production values of the show. Plus they're offering some previously unreleased shorts as lower-tier rewards.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

The Rifftrax crew is raising funds in an attemp to secure the rights to Twilight (or, failing that, something from their "worst movies" poll) for their live show this August. They admit to not knowing what that would actually cost (or if the studio would ever agree to it at any price), but any money they don't end up spending for that purpose will go towards getting a celebrity guest or otherwise enhancing the production values of the show. Plus they're offering some previously unreleased shorts as lower-tier rewards.

drat, they sold out of the $2000 level.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

iSheep posted:

Dark energy resevoir premium portable charger

My friends project, a portable USB charger. Multiple phone/tablet charges, kind of cool.

I would help but I recently lost my job... Best I can do is to share it I guess.

Someone else is working on something similar, except they'll have even higher capacity versions:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560071831/ultra-high-capacity-battery-for-mobile-devices?ref=category

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/421386

Over 900k in under 6 hours for a Planescape: Torment "sequel".

edit - Maybe "Successor" would be a better word.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Someone else is working on something similar, except they'll have even higher capacity versions:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560071831/ultra-high-capacity-battery-for-mobile-devices?ref=category

Wow, it's actually quite a bit cheaper as well. I don't know which one to go with.

But the Dark Energy says "Apple iPhone 5 charges 5 times, equal to 4-7 days of use."

The Expedition (biggest pack on the other one) says "will charge your iPad 1.5x and your iPhone 2x on a single charge" but is nearly double the mA

So...I don't know who to believe? I'll be using this for a phone pretty exclusively, I'm also not sure which will work better with a solar charger. The Dark Energy shows specific uses with a panel.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

goatface posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/421386

Over 900k in under 6 hours for a Planescape: Torment "sequel".

edit - Maybe "Successor" would be a better word.

God drat, over 1.7 million in a day. Is that a record for the fastest funded? (for a LARGE amount of funding, like over $100,000)

And they still have over a month to go, though I think they'll level off pretty quick. I don't see this getting up to Ouya or Pebble levels, but if it does, good for them. Especially since with software, once you finish it, it costs only a trivial amount to make more, so that's even more profit for these guys. Not like a physical thing where every unit you promise takes more time, money, resources, etc... to make and ship out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DrBouvenstein posted:

God drat, over 1.7 million in a day. Is that a record for the fastest funded? (for a LARGE amount of funding, like over $100,000)

They got the fastest million ever. Even faster than OUYA. I thought it would be successful, but not this successful.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Saint Darwin posted:

Wow, it's actually quite a bit cheaper as well. I don't know which one to go with.

But the Dark Energy says "Apple iPhone 5 charges 5 times, equal to 4-7 days of use."

The Expedition (biggest pack on the other one) says "will charge your iPad 1.5x and your iPhone 2x on a single charge" but is nearly double the mA

So...I don't know who to believe? I'll be using this for a phone pretty exclusively, I'm also not sure which will work better with a solar charger. The Dark Energy shows specific uses with a panel.

I hate to be the naysayer, but I just don't trust a semi-anonymous person to make a battery/enclosure/charger that I'm going to be carrying around with me. I've worked with enough lithium batteries to be terrified of charging/discharging them myself - let alone someone whose background I don't know, and who is making a limited supply (likely without quality control).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Machine of Death has the single greatest reward tier I've ever seen:

quote:

$299 – "GOAT STARE" – Any lesser tier that you want (except EARLY BIRD), PLUS we show your copy of the game to a goat before we ship it to you. (Photographic proof provided.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm a fan of their highest tier, personally.

quote:

$10,000 – "BAD DECISIONS" – A 4-hour MP3 of garbled, distorted, unlistenable wails of your name, screeched over and over and over and over by the foulest voices we can summon. No copy of the game is included with this tier. (To add a copy of the game, use our Add-On page.)

• Locked thread