Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Q_res posted:

I hope none of you were holding out for the new Blackberry slab phone.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/2/4057848/sprint-will-not-sell-blackberry-z10-only-offering-q10

I just did a Ctrl+F on that page for LTE, and another for 4G, and got nothing. Is that what I should expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I just did a Ctrl+F on that page for LTE, and another for 4G, and got nothing. Is that what I should expect?

The new blackberry should have LTE on each carrier it launches on in the US. Which makes blackberry only like a year and a half to two years behind.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I don't know what the radio setup for the Q10 is going to be, to be honest. For what it's worth, on the Z10 BB made two separate GSM models. One with HSPA+ and one with LTE, so who knows.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 3, 2013

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
I am a Sero premium customer and Sprint's website says I am eligible for an upgrade (been 28 months since the last one). However, I cannot get a new smartphone without changing my plan. Is there any way to re-up for another 2 years on Sero Premium?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

RagingHematoma posted:

I am a Sero premium customer and Sprint's website says I am eligible for an upgrade (been 28 months since the last one). However, I cannot get a new smartphone without changing my plan. Is there any way to re-up for another 2 years on Sero Premium?

Buy the phone, call in to activate. They have to switch you from WiMax SERO to LTE SERO. Same cost, same plan, different "4g."

Can we put this in the OP please?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Q_res posted:

My suspicion is that Sprint is only carrying the Q10 to hold on to the edge-cases that won't let go of their BB Curves. They don't want to risk losing those holdouts to other carriers and if it wasn't for that they might have ignored BB10 stuff altogether.
At my store at least, we sold a couple of the most recent Bold, but the one touchscreen-only Torch we sold was returned within a couple of days. I don't know if it's just that people are stuck in a rut of "this is what I have, must change as little as possible," or if touchscreen Blackberries are just bad.

At least post of our Palm Pre/Pixi holdouts have moved to iPhones. I only have a couple of people in every few months to replace their failed ones with service exchanges.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Buy the phone, call in to activate. They have to switch you from WiMax SERO to LTE SERO. Same cost, same plan, different "4g."

Can we put this in the OP please?

Fixed.

TVs Ian posted:

At my store at least, we sold a couple of the most recent Bold, but the one touchscreen-only Torch we sold was returned within a couple of days. I don't know if it's just that people are stuck in a rut of "this is what I have, must change as little as possible," or if touchscreen Blackberries are just bad.

At least post of our Palm Pre/Pixi holdouts have moved to iPhones. I only have a couple of people in every few months to replace their failed ones with service exchanges.

I used the Torch for a week and it really was one of the worst phones I have ever used. BB 7 phones were awful. As was BB 6. And most low end BB 5 phones.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

berserker posted:

Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. They've been promising me 4G for 4 years now and it's nowhere to be found. If I can't get 4G by the time my current contract is up, I'm switching providers for the first time ever :(

I'm in the same boat. I have 4 lines and one of them has a upgrade that I'm gonna use to get the new galaxy note when it's released but I'm hesitant to agree to another two years when I could cut my loses and move to a carrier with 4g.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Can I apply this 157 MB update to my rooted stock SGS3 without losing root or otherwise reverting something? I have a custom recovery, so I'm guessing not

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 6, 2013

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

sirbeefalot posted:

Can I apply this 157 MB update to my rooted stock SGS3 without losing root or otherwise reverting something? I have a custom recovery, so I'm guessing not

If you are running a custom recovery then the stock-pushed update will fail to install anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OptimusMatrix posted:

I'm in the same boat. I have 4 lines and one of them has a upgrade that I'm gonna use to get the new galaxy note when it's released but I'm hesitant to agree to another two years when I could cut my loses and move to a carrier with 4g.

Hell, you could move to a carrier with 3G that looks like 4G in comparison to Sprint.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Selling your old phone just got a little bit easier. Looks like Boost and Virgin Mobile people can use them too now.
Sprint Gives MVNOs an Alternative to Phone Subsidies Through “Bring Your Own Sprint Device” Program

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

td4guy posted:

Selling your old phone just got a little bit easier. Looks like Boost and Virgin Mobile people can use them too now.
Sprint Gives MVNOs an Alternative to Phone Subsidies Through “Bring Your Own Sprint Device” Program
This has been available to Ting for a couple months now. LTE phones and iPhones have been excluded so far. Google Nexus phones were originally excluded, but they've since allowed the Nexus S 4G.

We activated a disused Sprint Evo 3D (4G Wimax) on a Ting plan. Calls/SMS/3G programmed automatically. Ting gave us the unlock code to program the MMS and Wimax settings manually. Pretty easy.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

sirbeefalot posted:

Nope, it fails.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

td4guy posted:

Sweeet. Maybe I can eek out $100 for my Nexus S 4G. People use Boost/Virgin more than Sprint in Omaha so this shouldn't be too bad.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My signal has been getting progressively worse. I ocassionally get roaming at my house and I have trouble getting a data signal at work.

I'm thinking of flashing the Verizon PRL so I can actually get a signal at work and use a tiny bit of internet, not to cancel my plan. Is it easy to switch between PRL's on android (SGSIII) or is the process lengthy where I wouldn't want to change my PRL twice a day?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
There's an app or something to do it which was discussed not to long ago in this thread. Sorry I don't know anymore than that.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ZeroAX posted:

My signal has been getting progressively worse. I ocassionally get roaming at my house and I have trouble getting a data signal at work.

I'm thinking of flashing the Verizon PRL so I can actually get a signal at work and use a tiny bit of internet, not to cancel my plan. Is it easy to switch between PRL's on android (SGSIII) or is the process lengthy where I wouldn't want to change my PRL twice a day?

I tried it on the Note 2, and it's the same for the GS3. It requires running something to unhide the PRL editor. And each time you flash a Verizon PRL it reboots the phone. Sometimes it may take 5+ attempts to finally work. To go back to Sprint you'd just run the update PRL from the System menu.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Buying a relatively new smartphone on craigslist. I'll be meeting the guy at the Sprint Store to have the ESN checked out. Are there any other pitfalls I should be worried about? Is it going to be reported stolen the day after I activate it?

Am I a terrible son for giving my father an LG Viper LTE? He's not too great with computers, but he is retired and spends a ton of his time on facebook and skype now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

general chaos posted:

Buying a relatively new smartphone on craigslist. I'll be meeting the guy at the Sprint Store to have the ESN checked out. Are there any other pitfalls I should be worried about? Is it going to be reported stolen the day after I activate it?

Am I a terrible son for giving my father an LG Viper LTE? He's not too great with computers, but he is retired and spends a ton of his time on facebook and skype now.

Kind of terrible.

For just web browsing and Facebook it should be ok, hopefully by this point the bugs are fixed on the phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ZeroAX posted:

You will need to root, but there's an app called 'Sprint Diagnostics' on XDA which does what you are seeking: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774503

Please note: YOU NEED TO BE ROOTED FOR THIS, AND YOU WILL NEED TO FLASH IT BECAUSE IT NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED AS A SYSTEM APP.

P.S. You need to root your phone.

p.p.s This requires root.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

The Entire Universe posted:

You will need to root, but there's an app called 'Sprint Diagnostics' on XDA which does what you are seeking: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774503

Please note: YOU NEED TO BE ROOTED FOR THIS, AND YOU WILL NEED TO FLASH IT BECAUSE IT NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED AS A SYSTEM APP.

P.S. You need to root your phone.

p.p.s This requires root.

This app is the best app in the world. It's been amazing being able to internet at work.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I'm in a bit of a conundrum here...have an Epic 4g and I absolutely despise it, it's given me multiple issues since I bought it and I have had it serviced 3-4 times. Been looking at upgrades, but I'm not seeing anything standout since I'm loathe to get another samsung phone and the HTC evo is a little long in the tooth. Plus LTE isn't forecasted anywhere soon near where I live (Salt Lake City) so whatever phone I get won't be able to use LTE unless I travel to the midwest or east coast apparently. My parents still have the verizon family plan I jumped ship off of many years ago to get SERO, and the latest DROID phones VZW have look miles better than what I've seen in the sprint stores. Is there any phones/services that Sprint has coming out in the next few weeks, or should I just make plans to put my SERO plan up for sale and move (figuratively) back home?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Butt Reactor posted:

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here...have an Epic 4g and I absolutely despise it, it's given me multiple issues since I bought it and I have had it serviced 3-4 times. Been looking at upgrades, but I'm not seeing anything standout since I'm loathe to get another samsung phone and the HTC evo is a little long in the tooth. Plus LTE isn't forecasted anywhere soon near where I live (Salt Lake City) so whatever phone I get won't be able to use LTE unless I travel to the midwest or east coast apparently. My parents still have the verizon family plan I jumped ship off of many years ago to get SERO, and the latest DROID phones VZW have look miles better than what I've seen in the sprint stores. Is there any phones/services that Sprint has coming out in the next few weeks, or should I just make plans to put my SERO plan up for sale and move (figuratively) back home?

Samsung has turned around. The Galaxy S3 is amazing.

And I'm saying that as the biggest Samsung hater pre November of last year.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Medullah posted:

Samsung has turned around. The Galaxy S3 is amazing.

And I'm saying that as the biggest Samsung hater pre November of last year.

How's the battery life? My epic won't even make it through a full day without needing to be charged in my car, at work, etc. And this is with some text/web browsing, NO 4G access.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Butt Reactor posted:

The Galaxy 3 on Verizon sounds like your best bet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Butt Reactor posted:

How's the battery life? My epic won't even make it through a full day without needing to be charged in my car, at work, etc. And this is with some text/web browsing, NO 4G access.

I've come to accept my phone will always need to charge at night, but that's usually it. There's been a few times it's needed charging before the day is out, but that is usually only when I'm in a roaming area / area with no signal, or when I watch videos for a while. Usually about 30-40% when I plug it in at night.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Approximately 815 updated sites today in: Chicago (92), Upstate NY Central (50), VT/NH/ME (49), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (47), Boston (44), San Diego (39), Indianapolis (32), Austin (29), Northern Connecticut (22), SF Bay (22), Minnesota (20), Riverside/San Bernardino (20), Tampa (20), Louisiana (19), Orange County (19), Washington DC (19), Atlanta/Athens (17), Orlando (17), San Antonio (17), Houston (16), East Michigan (15), PR/VI (15), LA Metro (13), Nashville (12), Alabama (10), Charlotte (9), The Panhandle (9), Upstate NY East (9), Philadelphia Metro (8), New Orleans (7), Oregon/SW Washington (7), Southern Connecticut (7), Gulf Coast (6), Long Island (6), Northern Jersey (6), West Michigan (6), GA/SC Coast (5), Jacksonville (5), New York City (5), North LA (5), Baltimore (4), Miami/West Palm (4), DFW (3), Georgia (3), Las Vegas (3), Phoenix (3), Central Jersey (2), Delaware (2), East Texas (2), Kansas (2), Providence (2), Raleigh/Durham (2), South Carolina (2), West Washington (2), Myrtle Beach (1), Norfolk (1).

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

The Galaxy 3 on Verizon sounds like your best bet.

I hope you're not being sarcastic...but if it's cheaper on the family plan with VZW per month than what I'm paying right now, I guess I'm saying sayonara to sprint.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Butt Reactor posted:

I hope you're not being sarcastic...but if it's cheaper on the family plan with VZW per month than what I'm paying right now, I guess I'm saying sayonara to sprint.

Nobody denies that Verizon has the best network; if sprint weren't 1/3 the price and unlimited data, every one of us would switch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Butt Reactor posted:

I'm not being sarcastic, Salt Lake City is probably pretty low on sprints LTE list, you'll get a decent price as an add a line on a family plan and you really should switch to Verizon in this case. Galaxy S3 or Razr Maxx HD (I actually keep getting told maxx HD by people so def look at it) or iPhone 5.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm not being sarcastic, Salt Lake City is probably pretty low on sprints LTE list, you'll get a decent price as an add a line on a family plan and you really should switch to Verizon in this case. Galaxy S3 or Razr Maxx HD (I actually keep getting told maxx HD by people so def look at it) or iPhone 5.

I'll see what the costs come to when we go the VZW store today, Sprint must hate Mormons or something in regards to LTE (I'm not mormon either, WTF). Not an iphone guy, so I'll be looking at either the S3 or the Droid razr M/Maxx HD, thanks.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WoG posted:

Nobody denies that Verizon has the best network; if sprint weren't 1/3 the price and unlimited data, every one of us would switch.

Sprint isn't 1/3 of the price anymore for a lot of people for various reasons and removed discounts. That's why a lot of us have switched or are planning to switch to other carriers once our contract is up.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
The Sprint Megathread: I'm switching to Verizon, how do I avoid the ETF?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ender.uNF posted:

Approximately 815 updated sites today in: Chicago (92), Upstate NY Central (50), VT/NH/ME (49), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (47), Boston (44), San Diego (39), Indianapolis (32), Austin (29), Northern Connecticut (22), SF Bay (22), Minnesota (20), Riverside/San Bernardino (20), Tampa (20), Louisiana (19), Orange County (19), Washington DC (19), Atlanta/Athens (17), Orlando (17), San Antonio (17), Houston (16), East Michigan (15), PR/VI (15), LA Metro (13), Nashville (12), Alabama (10), Charlotte (9), The Panhandle (9), Upstate NY East (9), Philadelphia Metro (8), New Orleans (7), Oregon/SW Washington (7), Southern Connecticut (7), Gulf Coast (6), Long Island (6), Northern Jersey (6), West Michigan (6), GA/SC Coast (5), Jacksonville (5), New York City (5), North LA (5), Baltimore (4), Miami/West Palm (4), DFW (3), Georgia (3), Las Vegas (3), Phoenix (3), Central Jersey (2), Delaware (2), East Texas (2), Kansas (2), Providence (2), Raleigh/Durham (2), South Carolina (2), West Washington (2), Myrtle Beach (1), Norfolk (1).

Jesus Christ, it's happening. It's finally happening. Now I get to see if my wife's S3 picks up an LTE signal in the next few months.

*it'shappeningronpaul.gif*

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Jesus Christ, it's happening. It's finally happening. Now I get to see if my wife's S3 picks up an LTE signal in the next few months.

*it'shappeningronpaul.gif*

Beat me to it. Are we finally no longer a third-rate city to Sprint?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

I'll see what the costs come to when we go the VZW store today, Sprint must hate Mormons or something in regards to LTE (I'm not mormon either, WTF). Not an iphone guy, so I'll be looking at either the S3 or the Droid razr M/Maxx HD, thanks.

So if I go to verizon, looks like I'll be paying :20bux: more a month for LTE access and a better phone. Welp it was nice knowing you guys, if it doesn't work out in the next 2 years I'll come back for EPRP :suicide:

general chaos
May 20, 2001
People in the Raleigh/Durham area are spotting remote LTE connections. I assume these 25mbps speeds are going to get crowded down quickly after the soft launch, aren't they?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

general chaos posted:

People in the Raleigh/Durham area are spotting remote LTE connections. I assume these 25mbps speeds are going to get crowded down quickly after the soft launch, aren't they?

It will bounce around, slowing a bit, then speed up as more and more towers convert, then slowing a bit as people can actually use their phones now, but then speeding up again as EVDO channels are swapped to LTE.

The big thing is this new network can be remotely adjusted to reassign channels and pump up the backhaul, so they can respond to slow towers in days, not six weeks. All the backhaul lines are minimum 1 Gig, busy sites have 10 Gig links.

As for Phoneix, almost every market is at least starting this year. All upgrades are supposed to be done by mid/late 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Butt Reactor posted:

I've been getting a couple days between charges on my new one. No 4G access, doing email/messaging, BT streaming music, light gaming and web browsing.