Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I work at a service center, so I don't have exact experience with the field officers' duties. USCIS is a great place to work though. When you start you'll get a 6-week training course in Dallas, so there's that. Field offices get the major time crunches. You'll be making your decisions based on a 15 minute interview and file review. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otten
Oct 9, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

I work at a service center, so I don't have exact experience with the field officers' duties. USCIS is a great place to work though. When you start you'll get a 6-week training course in Dallas, so there's that. Field offices get the major time crunches. You'll be making your decisions based on a 15 minute interview and file review. Good luck!

I'm also with USCIS and I agree that it's a great place to work. And I'm also at a service center so can't say I have any first-hand experience with what it's like at a field office..! I have heard it can be more stressful than service center work though, but also maybe more interesting/exciting since you are get actual human interaction as opposed to pure paperwork.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Otten posted:

I'm also with USCIS and I agree that it's a great place to work. And I'm also at a service center so can't say I have any first-hand experience with what it's like at a field office..! I have heard it can be more stressful than service center work though, but also maybe more interesting/exciting since you are get actual human interaction as opposed to pure paperwork.

pure paperwork is always better then human interactions, always.

I wish my government got a sequester, but no Canada has to have a working system of government.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Otten posted:

As a TSA guy who has to deal with people who actively detest you just for existing, stress from multiple angles is pretty much my everyday thing.

How long does it usually take for them to contact you after you get the referral notice?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Dear TSA guy(s),

I just accepted an offer as a contractor (consultant) and need to go through the security check stuff. I already have a public trust from my last job so shouldn't they just be able to see that or is there some other clearance designation that the TSA uses?

Otten
Oct 9, 2004

Delorence Fickle posted:

As a TSA guy who has to deal with people who actively detest you just for existing, stress from multiple angles is pretty much my everyday thing.

How long does it usually take for them to contact you after you get the referral notice?

Yeah, okay, with a TSA background, it should be no sweat.

In my experience, it totally depends on the office and how fast they want to hire. At the service center I'm at, it generally takes a couple months from referral to interview . . . like for instance I applied for a promotion internally in early August and wasn't called for an interview until mid-October. But I think it might be different with field offices, since they are smaller and maybe less messy, logistics-wise. I have had a couple friends apply for field office jobs and I think they both got called for interviews in weeks rather than months.

Admiral BJ
May 28, 2005
Kicking ass and taking names
Guess I won't be working for the park service this summer...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Let the fun times role.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I just had an application denied by the Department of the Navy because I didn't submit a transcript with my application (at least they told me why, so big plus there). I'm not quite sure how to do this in the future. I have a PDF version of my transcript addressed to me, but it has an intro that says

quote:

This official transcript has been transmitted electronically to the recipient, and is intended solely use by that recipient. If you are not that intended receipt, please notify Transcript Services at Northwestern University. It is not permissible to replicate this document or forward it to any person or organization other than the identified recipient.
This makes me think I can't use it as an attached document to my application.

In the past I have had the registrar mail a physical copy to an employer, but they only asked for this after I had already accepted an offer. I've never seen something asking for a transcript with the initial application.

edit: The job in question if it makes any difference USAJobs link

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

I just had an application denied by the Department of the Navy because I didn't submit a transcript with my application (at least they told me why, so big plus there). I'm not quite sure how to do this in the future. I have a PDF version of my transcript addressed to me, but it has an intro that says

In the past I have had the registrar mail a physical copy to an employer, but they only asked for this after I had already accepted an offer. I've never seen something asking for a transcript with the initial application.

I always just submitted my unofficial transcript copied into a Word document. They requested my official one that I had to order from my university once I received a tentative/conditional offer. I just tend to always attach my transcript if I can qualify with education.

Midge the Jet fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 8, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What kind of opportunities would the government have for a recent graduate in BIomedical Engineering? What kind of pay grade would a Bachelors of Science in BME qualify for?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

I use a PDF with scans of my official paper transcripts.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

What kind of opportunities would the government have for a recent graduate in BIomedical Engineering? What kind of pay grade would a Bachelors of Science in BME qualify for?

Uh, look at USAJobs?

If I had to guess, a bachelors would probably land you in the GS-7/9 range.

I'm on a different pay scale so, yeah.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

TCD posted:

Uh, look at USAJobs?

If I had to guess, a bachelors would probably land you in the GS-7/9 range.

I'm on a different pay scale so, yeah.
Bachelors generally = GS-5. There are a number of ways to start off as a GS-7, though, like carrying a 3.0 GPA or being in the top 10% or breathing, etc. Experience counts a lot more than a degree for GS ratings.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

grover posted:

Bachelors generally = GS-5. There are a number of ways to start off as a GS-7, though, like carrying a 3.0 GPA or being in the top 10% or breathing, etc. Experience counts a lot more than a degree for GS ratings.

Huh, looks like I'm essentially a GS-11.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Is it a big deal applying to jobs out of the state I currently live in?

I live in West Virginia and see some jobs that I would like to apply for in the DC area. I am willing to move, but I just don't know if that throws up any red flags or anything, besides the fact that I am from West Virginia :cheeky:.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

coreycoryecorey posted:

Is it a big deal applying to jobs out of the state I currently live in?

I live in West Virginia and see some jobs that I would like to apply for in the DC area. I am willing to move, but I just don't know if that throws up any red flags or anything, besides the fact that I am from West Virginia :cheeky:.

No.

Occasionally, you'll see a vacancy limited to "local commuting area only", but that's usually for current employees only.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I live in Kansas City and flew out for an interview in DC last summer. It doesn't matter unless, as Evil Spongebob said, it specifically limits applicants to the local area. Sometimes you can even do a phone interview instead of an in-person interview.

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
Is there an average wait time on responses to applying on USAjobs? I applied for a position in September that closed in October, and my status is still "Application received". Other positions I've applied for were kind enough to send the rejection email within about 3 weeks of the closing date. So is this maybe a good sign, that I'm still under consideration, or just that some departments are painfully slow?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wormy posted:

Is there an average wait time on responses to applying on USAjobs? I applied for a position in September that closed in October, and my status is still "Application received". Other positions I've applied for were kind enough to send the rejection email within about 3 weeks of the closing date. So is this maybe a good sign, that I'm still under consideration, or just that some departments are painfully slow?

Step 1: Apply for federal job.
Step 2: Get a normal job.
Step 3: Get call to interview for federal job 18 months later.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Seconding this, it took me a ton of applications before I actually got an offer. I started applying for federal jobs in April 2010, graduated from college a month later and landed my first full time job in Jan 2011, and eventually accepted an offer for a federal job in Jan 2012. All the time between was spent applying and interviewing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

psydude posted:

Step 1a: Forget you ever applied for the federal job. This is the best thing you can possibly do.

When I got hired on, I applied in Oct 2009 and was hired in April 2010. This was before the budget cuts, and it still took 6 months.

Between sequestration and no annual budget, a lot of the current postings are "we would really like to hire people but we don't know if the funds exist."

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Does anyone have experience with lateral transfers? It looks like I have to wait 90 days to be eligible. Does that mean 90 days from when I apply or 90 days from when I would take the position?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

On Wednesday, I got an e-mail telling me that I had gotten my security clearance, my effective starting date is March 25th, and to call if I had any questions...and that's it. I'm still living in a different state from where I'd be working, and haven't even begun packing yet, so that's a little rough! The first time I called the number (around 1PM the day I got the e-mail), I got a secretary (the guy himself was apparently "gone for the day") who told me she would forward a request for a later starting date, but it would have to be approved, and that I would get a final offer soon, and would be put in touch with a liaison in the target city who would tell me where to go, how to dress, and where I should look for a place to live. I haven't heard anything since. I've tried calling a few other times, and left voice mail messages, and I've tried e-mailing him, and now I'm quite nervous. Should I be worried? I've been trying to think of a contingency plan. Like, if I can't get ahold of anyone by Tuesday afternoon, go ahead and schedule PODS to get me moved out of my current place on Saturday, and put my stuff in long-term storage. Then, get an extended-stay place for a month while I start working the next Monday (hopefully by which point someone has at least told me where I need to go) while trying to find a place to live and get moved in. Am I over-reacting?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Justus posted:

On Wednesday, I got an e-mail telling me that I had gotten my security clearance, my effective starting date is March 25th, and to call if I had any questions...and that's it. I'm still living in a different state from where I'd be working, and haven't even begun packing yet, so that's a little rough! The first time I called the number (around 1PM the day I got the e-mail), I got a secretary (the guy himself was apparently "gone for the day") who told me she would forward a request for a later starting date, but it would have to be approved, and that I would get a final offer soon, and would be put in touch with a liaison in the target city who would tell me where to go, how to dress, and where I should look for a place to live. I haven't heard anything since. I've tried calling a few other times, and left voice mail messages, and I've tried e-mailing him, and now I'm quite nervous. Should I be worried? I've been trying to think of a contingency plan. Like, if I can't get ahold of anyone by Tuesday afternoon, go ahead and schedule PODS to get me moved out of my current place on Saturday, and put my stuff in long-term storage. Then, get an extended-stay place for a month while I start working the next Monday (hopefully by which point someone has at least told me where I need to go) while trying to find a place to live and get moved in. Am I over-reacting?
Sounds a lot like when I was first hired- I accepted the position and was told I could start in 2 weeks! Ended up driving 7 hours to Norfolk two days layer with a carload of stuff, stayed in a hotel for 2 nights, and slept in a sleeping bag on the floor of my just-rented-apartment the third. Then left my car, flew back home, and rented a truck to bring my wife and the rest of my stuff down.

It's definitely a life-changing experience. Two weeks might not sound like much time, but you still have time to do research and find a good place to live and get everything moved.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

Does anyone have experience with lateral transfers? It looks like I have to wait 90 days to be eligible. Does that mean 90 days from when I apply or 90 days from when I would take the position?

90 days working in the position, from the date on the Appointment Affidavit. At least, that's how it worked when I did a lateral transfer last year.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
How long does it usually take to hear something back after accepting a tentative offer?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

grover posted:

Sounds a lot like when I was first hired- I accepted the position and was told I could start in 2 weeks! Ended up driving 7 hours to Norfolk two days layer with a carload of stuff, stayed in a hotel for 2 nights, and slept in a sleeping bag on the floor of my just-rented-apartment the third. Then left my car, flew back home, and rented a truck to bring my wife and the rest of my stuff down.

It's definitely a life-changing experience. Two weeks might not sound like much time, but you still have time to do research and find a good place to live and get everything moved.

That's pretty much right. I was given a choice of 2 EoDs, two weeks out, halfway across the country. I wound up staying in a residential hotel for a few weeks until I got paid so I could get an apartment.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Manifest Dynasty posted:

How long does it usually take to hear something back after accepting a tentative offer?

FWIW, having just gone through this, I got my tentative offer in the first week of December, and I just finished my security clearance and got my EoD last week. My understanding is that this is a bit faster than average, but not particularly unusual. It was only about a week from my accepting the tentative offer before I was filling out the security clearance paperwork.

EDIT: Just got notice that my official start date is April 22nd! I've got plenty of time to move and get settled in. Huzzah!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Got clarification from civilian council in my command's JAG department today- pretending not to receive furlough notification or refusing to accept it will not get you out of a furlough. My clever plan of going on leave for a few weeks to postpone the pain won't work :(

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

grover posted:

Got clarification from civilian council in my command's JAG department today- pretending not to receive furlough notification or refusing to accept it will not get you out of a furlough. My clever plan of going on leave for a few weeks to postpone the pain won't work :(

I don't think there's any way to duck a furlough.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

TCD posted:

I don't think there's any way to duck a furlough.
Federal law requires 30 days notification prior to furlough; I was banking on avoiding that notification as long as possible. But according to counsel, documentation of the notification attempts showing that I was notified is adequate legal proof of notification, even if I claim I didn't see the letters or hear the voice mails, etc.

I knew this wasn't a 22-week tactic (I don't have that much leave) but was hoping for even a few weeks delay to allow more congress to fix it- because you KNOW pressure is going to ramp up many notches once people start getting furloughed and the chance of it getting solved increases. I'd prefer not to lose any pay over this.

The only way it would work is if I genuinely wasn't notified. I tried to convince my supervisor he and all the other senior managers needed to take a few weeks leave for the sake of their employees, but no joy there, either :(

grover fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 20, 2013

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Well, my career ladder promotion finally took effect, exactly two month after I completed 52 weeks within grade. Now I'm two months behind the next ladder promotion.

Note to self, career ladder promotions aren't just automatic and at least where I'm at don't get retroactively put into effect even if the process to promote drags on (I started it a month before my 52 weeks).

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Welp, it's looking like our agency will find out about furloughs today. I really hope we do actually get a straight answer so I can start officially preparing.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

problematique posted:

Well, my career ladder promotion finally took effect, exactly two month after I completed 52 weeks within grade. Now I'm two months behind the next ladder promotion.

Note to self, career ladder promotions aren't just automatic and at least where I'm at don't get retroactively put into effect even if the process to promote drags on (I started it a month before my 52 weeks).

My promotion finally showed up in HR Connect last Tuesday saying it is effective 2/10/13 with my SCD being 2/12/12. My true SCD is 1/30/12, and my manager agrees with it and put in my promotion for the 1/27/13 PP, but my agency has it two weeks off. The director for my area has sent copies of my first LES and original SF50 to try and get it fixed. I tried when I transferred here, but I just get silence.

I was told that I should receive back pay for the past two pay periods (3 if my SCD ever gets fixed), as I only receive step increase pay, not grade increase. At least, I hope I receive back pay after reading the above.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

CherryCola posted:

Welp, it's looking like our agency will find out about furloughs today. I really hope we do actually get a straight answer so I can start officially preparing.
We got a 2-week delay. I'm hoping the flexibility granted in the cr lets my command avoid furloughs altogether.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

grover posted:

We got a 2-week delay. I'm hoping the flexibility granted in the cr lets my command avoid furloughs altogether.

Yeah, we got that news today too. I'm sick of the delays, I just wanna know what to plan for :\

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I've looked and applied at bunches of jobs on USA jobs for about a year now but most jobs seem to require training or certification in something specific (understandably). Is there anything someone with an education degree can do? If I could teach on an army base domestic or abroad I would be so down for that, I just don't know where to look for that, unless I'm not looking in the right places.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

CeramicPig posted:

I've looked and applied at bunches of jobs on USA jobs for about a year now but most jobs seem to require training or certification in something specific (understandably). Is there anything someone with an education degree can do? If I could teach on an army base domestic or abroad I would be so down for that, I just don't know where to look for that, unless I'm not looking in the right places.

I don't think they're on USAjobs. Try http://www.dodea.edu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

TLG James posted:

I don't think they're on USAjobs. Try http://www.dodea.edu

Thank you thank you thank you