Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty is completely floored.

: "W-w-w-w-we're getting t-two hundred and fifty gold? Two hundred and fifty? Two? Hundred? And Fifty? Gold? Every month?!" Lefty does some quick figures in his head. "Th-that's half a l-lifetime's wages! E-e-every month! Every month we're makin' as much as s-some folks get their entire l-lives!"

"I... I gotta go lie down a minute."

All you seasoned adventurers and well-equipped mercenaries and greedy half-djinni might scoff at that kind of paycheck but Lefty is now rich beyond any of his wildest dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Edie von Altman, who is at least trying to make a good impression this time

And so it is that a petite young lady with a meticulous up-do and little tiny spectacles, dressed in what appears to be her Sunday best with matching parasol, strolls into the Dennison Building like it's the foyer of a grand ball, dragging a steamer trunk of belongings behind her. This is...no less weird than anyone else around here, but it's a different sort of weird, at any rate, so she probably gets no small number of stares. Also strange is the rifle, looking comically oversized strapped to her back, inlaid with intertwining silver and gold filigree and polished to a mirror shine. Perhaps most disturbingly of all, it matches her outfit. It is a frightening woman indeed who matches her tools of death with her outfits.

After she's given everyone a good few seconds to gawk, she pipes up. "Right! Hello, then! My name is Edelweiss, but that is a little unwieldy, wouldn't you say? Please call me Edie. I am here because the Church of Pelor's administration is not very skilled at following their own doctrine, specifically the 'he shalt not exact vengeance upon those who wrong him' part of the scripture. It looks like I will be here for a good, long while, if the Church is to be believed, so I hope we can all get along. Or, er." Her eyes scan the inhabitants of the room again with a visible grimace. "At least, I hope I can make it a fortnight without being eviscerated in my sleep. Realistic expectations, what?"

She giggles away at her joke. The whole speech was in a High Draunti accent, outing her as the nobility; while technically a countryman of people like Lefty, her speech is as different as can be, showing someone of proper breeding and good stock, probably taught zero practical skills for the real world. She could navigate the social climate of a party with the best of them, though.

Speech finished, she resumes dragging the streamer chest, assuming that a room has been prepared for her, as snubbing a representative of the Church of Pelor, even one they aren't fond of, tends to end badly for people.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa smiles and nods in return.
"It's good to meet you, Edie."
She gives a short wave and walks off, probably to find and help Herbert with something.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate silently nods after hearing about Flora. The whole situation involving the girl was regrettable, and there's always the possibility of her to bear a grudge on them because of what happened to her Father. Still, it's good to learn that most things went well in the end. She picks up the paycheck and pockets it while smiling at the newcomer woman.

"Lady Edelweiss. Should i call you that? I'm sorry, just that i think that your manner of speech reminds me of someone with high station..." She says while giving a polite bow. Guess she's substituting the Yhong fellow they went in the mansion. In fact, Hecate doesn't even remember him escaping along, which raises a good amount of questions... Still, it's a concern to think about later. A woman of the cloth can always be of help... Or a hindrance, considering what she would think of the robe Hecate has been assembling since yesterday. She tasked Herbert with an adequate amount of coin to acquire the corpses and magic materials for it, and it is known what the Pelorite loathe the art of necromancy, but it's just another sin to the add to the one of being an unnatural offspring of the damned.

Still, who knows, perhaps the Edie girl will become a good friend if fed with a steady dose of deception.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing

Thorgeisl is hardly impressed by the payment, but accepts it none the less. Glancing at Lefty's exaggerated overreaction to such a small sum.

He briefly nods to the newcomer. Though he has little use for those who claim to speak to the gods. Still if she can mend wounds she could be of use. For a moment he dwells on Hecate's offer, before putting it aside for now. He doubts she has the ability to craft anything he could make use of, yet. Or at the least anything that he could find of use, and afford with the meager pay they had received.

Still his mood had improved greatly, for soon they shall be free of this cramped room. After a bit of thought he realizes that he should probably should introduce himself to the girl if he expects her to be willing to lend her mending. "I am Thorgeisl." He closes his eyes with a wince before opening them and adding the rest of his title. "Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Richard snaps his fingers in front of Lefty's face. "We'll cover it later, but I'm going to entrust you with a lot of responsibility." He shakes his head and puts on one of his traditional half-dour faces, to indicate happiness. "I'm glad you're here, Edie. In time we should have the backing of every civilized church on the continent, and I can't think of a better place to start than with Pelor." Richard rifles through a nearby box and eventually produces an old keyring, tossing it to Herbert. "Right! We're got a lot of work to do to get this place useable. But the same goes for you lot and I don't want any surprises like we had at Somber Hill. Herb, they're your problem for the rest of the day." He tosses the keys and Herbert catches them.

The little huntsman can barely disguise his joy at seeing you all again. You guess that he had time to get over his lack of personal space two days ago, after he chased you all out of his shack with your belongings in hand, a stack of perfectly organized naughty pictures tucked under his arm. Seems much more amiable now. "Hello, friends! Miss Hecate, Miss Vanessa! Glorious day, ain't it?! Oh! Good to meet you, Miss Edelweiss!" He hefts up the trunk as though it weren't as big as he is and runs out the door, expecting you all to follow.

Herbert leads you to one of the old factories and finds the one door that isn't boarded up, unlocking the thick chains blocking it off. He leads you inside and it seems that this dilapidated factory will be your new home, if you want it. You know, with the half a foot of dust, the rats that just scurried off into the corner and the bare-bones rooms full of scrap and junk and oh dear is that a skeleton in a worker's outfit in one of the rooms.

Well.

There are plenty of small rooms available to those who want them. And as the scratch marks on the inside of the door prove, they have very reliable locks. Fortunately, you can set them inside instead of outside. Or just remove them entirely.

"Haha! Jeez! I guess the price for this property was something to die for after all. Poor jackass." Without hesitation, Herbert exchanges the trunk for the skeleton and hauls it out. He runs it downstairs to one of the old forge areas and begins stringing it up to add to what appears to be an extended firing range he has made up fairly recently from junk around the area. He's also brought his set of "beginner's" rifles over.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 8, 2013

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar trudges into the room, surprisingly sober given his previous outings with the group. His armor is polished to a brilliant shine and the dwarven runes in it seem to catch the light oddly, marking it as noticeably magical for the first time, since it's not covered in grime and whatnot. He strolls in and looks at everyone, upon seeing the new person, Edie, he lets out a noise of unknown meaning and adresses her saying, "Good to meet you, lass. I hope you are prepared to work, the dwarven council has given us a HELL of an opportunity." He lets out a surprisingly happy chuckle and then grins as he walks over to Lefty, clapping him hard on the back and grinning, "It will be glorious to fight mindflyerkin and die in the heat of battle!" He pats his chest happily and then strolls into the unexplored factory.

Oli saunters along before he comes to room that has some small amount of noise coming from it, he looks in and sees a box that seems to be moving on it's own accord, he pops it open and then makes a surprising noise. He leans in and whispers quietly in dwarven to what's inside, "<Dwarven>Come on out, beauty, no one is gonna hurt you.<dwarven>" As he reaches into the box slowly and pulls what's inside out it reveals a snake head. He slowly pets the snake and continues whispering to it in his native tongue. He runs his fingers along the creature and then turns to the others, growling, "Leave me be for a while." Then he walks over and closes the door on himself and the snake. Anyone close enough can hear small words spoken in dwarven as he speaks to the snake.(Taking the 24 hours it takes to acquire a companion)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa stretches, relaxing.
"Well then. Seems I have some work to do."
She begins a fairly long and involved session of cleaning, in the process often running her hands along the walls, or standing and mumbling under her breath, staring at remote corners or the ceiling.
She seems perfectly content doing so, for whatever reason, though it's clear she's mainly doing this to make sure there are no hidden surprises.

Depending on the feasibility and time we have, take 20 search at +9. Otherwise just take 10 on everything. Incidental cleaning as a bonus.

zachol fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 8, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty follows Herbert, still in something of a daze. He waves Hi to Edie, but clearly has other things on his mind. He files away that she's a nob, she's from his hometown, and she's a Pelorite to mull over later. He literally has a bigger income than he knows what to do with now...

...until he sees their living conditions. Yeesh.

: "I lived in shantytowns and slums alla my life, an' travelin' to Geareg about the best roof I could afford was the underside of a bridge. So take that ta heart when I say: wow, what a dump."

Lefty spends a little while poking around, then announces he's headin' out for a bit for some hardware. If nobody wants to come with, he returns with sacks of plywood and nails, assorted tools, a couple cans of paint, rags and solvents, and a pushbroom. Tying a cloth around his face to keep out the clouds of dust he'll kick up, he starts shoving dust around until the floor is visible again.

: "If'n ya see any rats, take 'em alive or don't splatter 'em too bad! Better eatin' on a rat than ya might think, eh Olimar?" It's mostly a joke.

...mostly.

: "No offense meant, P'ui!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl is hardly impressed their new base of operations either. It is a run down shack of a place and more than a little disappointing, the only thing it has going for it is that it is less cramped than where he had spent the last week.

He takes a look at the shooting range, and thinks about making use of it at some point. Though not exactly in the way Herbert may have intended. Still a little target practice could be a good idea.

For a bit he watches Lefty work up a sweat by trying his best to fix the place up, again in an uncharacteristic show of kindness he summons a couple small earth elementals to help the man out. And a few air elementals to hover nearby and keep the dust from reaching Thorgeisl himself.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Edie von Altman, who is finding these lodgings in UNACCEPTABLE! CONDITIOOOOON! UNACCEPTABLE!

Edie gives her polite greetings to Hecate, Nessa, Olimar, and Thorgeisl, though she has trouble pronouncing the latter's name for a bit, following the rest of the group to the factory. She makes sure to assure Hecate, though, that she is just fine with "Edie," and that a third daughter is entitled to no formality whatsoever, so she shouldn't feel put upon to provide such.

When they reach the place, though, she silently curses that smug, intolerable Father Frederick for what he's gotten her into. She didn't think there were more sparse living conditions than those of a monastery, but at least that was kept clean. This is nothing of the sort. She doesn't say anything, of course, but the slightly furrowed brow and practiced look of upper-class disapproval says all that is necessary. That, and how she whips the rifle off her back without a word, loads it with the provided practice round, and begins frustratedly firing on the shabby targets.

Her aim is...frighteningly good, for a holy woman.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 8, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty stops a moment to watch the Earth Elementals at work. He takes a breath to say something, remembers that Thorgeisl has never been the chummy sort, gives a quiet nod of appreciation, and gets back to his sweeping.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate sighs as she sees the terrible excuse of a factory, staring at the worker's skeleton lying around. "Hm. That gives me an idea. Please stand aside." She says while picking up a small figurine resembling a goblinoid skeleton from inside her embroidered black robe, putting it on the floor as she starts to chant a quick spell. The figurine grows in size, revealing itself an animated skeletonized Goblin which aimlessly wanders around until Hecate finishes her chanting, snapping her fingers.

"No need to be startled, just assumed we could use an assistant of some kind as we renovate this place. Now, Mister Gobby, be a dear and go grab a broom to sweep this place." She makes a dismissive wave at the small undead, which obediently goes forth to do so. "Unfortunately that one is too weak to serve as a guard. Still, it has its uses."

Using the Goblin Skeleton from Robe of Bones, subsequently controlling it for 5 days until i renew the spell.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

P'ui rolls her eyes at Lefty. "This One can differentiate between vermin and itself, just as The Lefty can differentiate between itself and Lesser Apes. No offense is taken, save for the implication, however accidental, that She is stupid or primitive enough to throw her lot in with her distantly ancestral kin."

P'ui moves from room to room, eventually settling in what was probably once the maintenance closet after shooing out a particularly thick concentration of rats. She hated being so predictable, but she'd have been uncomfortable in a larger room. She was sure the Apes were judging her, the same way she judged them every time she caught them grooming their fur or picking insects off their body and eating them.

Satisfied with her space, she heads out to collect her alchemy lab, to move it to it's permanent new home.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 8, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Yeah, about that." Lefty leans on his broom. "How come you keep callin' us 'apes' anyhow? That theory that humans weren't created by tha gods and just turned up somehow from a monkey or somethin' got shouted down years ago by the Diet of Ecumenical Churches. Moradin forged the dwarves, Corellon Larethian crafted tha elves, Mighty Io gave rise to dragons, and... well, nobody knows who created tha humans but we ain't apes any more than your folk came from actual rats."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

:smug:

P'ui smirks on her way to the door. "It may beleive what It will about It's origins. It's Gods may have crafted It, but what clay did they yield it from? Does It resemble river muck, or does it resemble the Chimpanzee? The Orangutan? Gorillas? Just as Apes call us Rats, we call you Apes. The comparison is quite apt."

She stops. "And, for what it's worth, Her people were made from rats. Her creators were better record keepers than the Ape's, and quite a bit more tangible, at least until a few years ago. This One would be happy to talk about our respective histories in the future, if the Lefty would like to know more. But for now, She has business to see to."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(I need to clarify some things real quick about the firearm rules being used in the setting!)

(Basically, assume everything is Advanced Firearm or so. Think of early Rifles instead of Muskets. You don't need to dump gold on Black Powder unless specified in a very specific item drop. So a default Rifle or Pistol will use the 1gp per Bullet for ammo. I want to refund Oreom's gold and let him rethink his recent purchase, especially with the following info in the next post. If anybody else needs to adjust their character sheet or purchases, go for it. This is also why Edie started with the feat for free since it was a freebie I was planning.)

(On that note, you can purchase Early or Advanced Firearms from the SRD table, but even the Early models won't use Black Powder! Just Firearm Bullets needed!)

Every Character gains Firearm Proficiency as a Feat for Free. This removes the -4 to using Firearms untrained.

Over the next few days you cobble parts of the Ironworks into something resembling livable. Maybe not very well and with a slouch and some nasty scars, but close enough. Herbert takes you under his wing and drills into you a military appreciation of proper firing form, granting you all proficiency with Firearms if you lacked it. He also offers up three low-grade Rifles to you lot, excitedly calling it the first stretch of the Sensationalist Army. It's a stretch, all right. No bullets, though. Bullets are for self-starters, Herbert says.

quote:

Low-Quality Rifle x3

Proudly held together despite years of use, the old Bucklebar House Emblem still provides a series of bumps along the handle.

1d8, Range 60 ft, Critical 20/x4, 12 lb, Capacity 1.

Dwarven funding comes through and a professional carpentry crew from the Human extension of the Dwarven-founded Guild comes in and gives the place a much needed working over. A great deal of old machinery and forges are pulled out and the amount of space doubles, a lot of old holes and broken bits are patched over and a ton of rot and mold is removed. The general cleanliness of the place rises enough to make vermin stop hanging around so often, though an exception is made for P'ui. In time the Foreman's Office is renovated and Richard wins his war with the boxes, unpacking everything and producing a modest if eccentric living space, choosing to sleep on a small sofa in one of the small filing rooms in the back, the front office decorated with a few knick-knacks of academia, most notably that he has repurposed the skeleton Herbert found into an actual anatomical skeleton model and coat-rack. He speaks with businessmen and former or current military sorts every day but finds time to draft you in for meetings and explain your authority to you.

As a Sensationalist, you should keep your allegiance secret if possible from civilians, but brandish it as you please to deal with authority. Unfortunately, only Geareg authorities recognize Sensationalists at the moment. You have a greater stretch of legal protection in "doing things that need to be done", at least in Geareg for now, but Richard makes it clear that "if it's Humanoid, try to spare or arrest it, at least. I don't care how many beasts you kill." Your primary responsibilities are to help people as a Sheriff or Guard would within reason, presumably anyone who needs help around the site of Illithid-related shenanigans, and to acquire technology... living or mechanical. During your latest meeting at the Foreman's Office, Richard gives you Three Scrolls of Sending and three small stone focuses. Use a focus to cast a scroll that will directly contact the home office. The focus makes it so that anyone can use the Scroll cast automatically, but it also makes you unable to change who you call.

Richard casts an impatient look over your shoulders at the small crowd of people gathering outside his office. Looks like a motley crew of random types who've answered his call for "workers for private enterprise." You see about a dozen Human gents crowded about in rough or dirty clothes, a pair of very macho acting Gnomish boys arguing over the exasperated face of a dour-looking Dwarven youth with full blonde beard, a foursome of fearsome looking blue-scaled lizardfolk dressed as though they were in the tropics and had no mind for any decency what so ever in their skimpy mish-mashes of fur, leather and bones, and a hooded elf(ear-tips poking out) standing in the back of the crowd near an alley, keeping to the shadows. Richard keeps going, trying to ignore the future headache for now.

"The idea is that if you encounter more than you can carry back, or you need to push forward, you call and I have another team come in behind you and clean up. In the future I hope I can give you more gear to handle what you're up against, but it'll take us awhile to afford or make any, or to get a working full-scale Anti-Magic generator going. Other than that, I've got your new task." He takes a long drag and leads you into a meeting room in basement of the Foreman's Office, hastily cobbled together by grabbing every stool and chair in the place and lining it around a large table with a Map of Illys. He gestures from Geareg straight to the border of Mandel, then around Western Border until you resume moving North, through the Western Half of the fledgling Giant/Monster-Folk nation. Your destination is the Elven homeland of Ostorn.

"Right now we're in good with Dwarven backing, but we're not going to have a world-wide authority just playing fort in our own backyard. It's been over a year since the war ended and nearly two years since we've been cut off from Ostorn. I'm talking an absolute blackout: nobody gets in and returns to tell about it, nobody has gotten out and even magical communication and ships have been lost trying to get in. Something is incredibly wrong here and it's our most important priority." He gestures along the border to the two small towns closest to it, then up to the capital. He points back to the space between the Wilds and where Ostorn's border forms on the West.

"When Ostorn was founded, or rather, since Ostorn was founded before any of the younger races bothered staking out land, the Elves had the decency to raise a wall of living thorn with their Druidic circles. And Pelor bless them, they were humble enough to only take their rightful land. They allowed free travel, encouraged trade and fought with us against Ithor's legion. There was even a large amount of non-Elven settlers in Ostorn lands. They're an ally of the Dwarves, an ally of Humanity and their absence is alarming. A lot of lands don't care, especially if it involves sending a hurting military to investigate."

"A small group has a good chance of providing accurate recon and avoiding the sort of triggers that might cause whatever is blocking Ostorn off to react, like an army approaching the thorn wall. However, we have to assume that a blackout of this length could be caused by our worst fear: that part of Ithor's army remained and even conquered Ostorn."

"If you have any questions, I'm all ears, but this is your task. Along the way, I'd appreciate it if you use the route through Mandel, along the West Side of it... it's quick and generally safe, and I want you to check out an old Illithid army camp site here." He gestures to the stretch of wilds between the Northwest curve of Mandel and Ostorn's West border. "I've heard tales of strange things from Mandel farmers. But really, we absolutely have to establish contact with the Elves. And ideally, get their backing too."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 9, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
To P'ui:
: "That's an awful lotta words when all yer sayin' is 'I do it to be an arse'."

To Richard:
: "Ostorn, eh? Guess I'd better invest in a decent cold-weather coat. Hear it gets chilly up in those parts. Never been to elf lands before... but I guess that's the point, eh?"

"I only got a question regardin' our arrestin' policy. Most o' the arrestin' I'm used to is from the local Watch or what-have-you, where they clap ya in chains and throw ya in tha clink. What do we do with folks we're arrestin'? What laws are we callin' on for tha authority ta do it?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate takes one of the rifles for herself, handing it to Mister Gobby to store it alongside the rest of her possessions. "Useful weapon. While my aiming prowess is usually for other kinds of projectiles, i could use a rifle like that."

She then looks at the many applicants for the society with a dismayed look. If Richard wanted dumb and obedient workers or carriers, she could easily arrange some reanimated ones to him. Gobby has been doing quite a good job managing her room after all, although the chittering and clanking noise of his bones could be described by most people as 'disturbing'.

"Barnabus probably has contacts in the Elven homeland. Why didn't you asked him to contact them?" She asks Richard while taking a close look at the map. Mandel is going to be a tough place to go through, a monsterfolk group of bandits is not something you'd underestimate, and except for Oreom and Thorgeisl, they did look like easy pickings for a Giant looking for easy gold. "Examining the army camp IS a big deal considering our mission, Sir Beltway. At least a search mission for leftover artifacts is needed."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"Contacts that can't be contacted are quite useless." Richard gives Lefty a stern look. "You're calling on the same laws any civilized society would. I reckon you'll either have to turn over any dangerous sorts to local authorities or escort them until you return to Geareg. You know, instead of rampant murder. Tough bit of responsibility, that."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"You heard the man, shoot to maim at best. We don't want to be seen as a marauding band of misfits and criminals, do we?" Hecate quips with obvious sarcasm on her voice.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "I ain't that worried about accidentally killin' anybody. I just don't wanna clap anybody in irons and then have to drag 'em around for a week lookin' for someplace to drop 'em off. Didn't know if you'd planned for that. Like say if we was jumped by a buncha ogre bandits as we went through Mandel, I wasn't sure exactly how ta go about turnin' 'em in."

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

Well, the pay wasn't much. It was enough to make him grind his molars a bit, in fact, ready to say something about how after makin' four times that much in one night, makin' that much in one month seemed awfully stingy come to think of it, but then Lefty's reaction gave Oreom pause. Enough pause to actually confuse him for a moment, wondering if he'd gotten exchange rates wrong or somethin', maybe there was a money lender who could be used to trade up real quicklike that a shady little bugger like him knew about, and he chose to keep quiet instead. The closest thing to a shrewd expression Oreom had crossed his eyes (meaning, more or less, that he openly stared at Lefty like he might have started laying golden eggs at any time) before he ended up nodding and falling into step with the preparations to become a rag-tag team.

He actually liked the new digs. He'd certainly slept in worse, given that this was the dry kind of disrepair rather than the wet or fetid or full of brawling drunks kind, and most importantly, the rooms looked sufficiently unbotherable to stay in if he ended up getting tired of any particular person. Whether that meant he could go in and be unbothered or he could lock them inside, eh, bridges, crossed, sometime later. He barely hides his irritation at having spent good money on a gun when they just throw the things at them, though. "Y'coulda told me, pal!" Oreom all but snapped when he snatched up one of the rifles, wiggling his much smaller gun in his hand. The implication was clear that the size most certainly did matter in this case, and with a furrowed brow, Oreom marched away for a span of hours to go tear into the gun shop that the smaller pistol had been procured at. He assumed. He didn't actually know it was someone completely unrelated who he berated into a full refund! Hopefully they enjoyed their purchase more than their countertop being left in a splintered and smoldering wreck! He does pick up a few more bullets in a surprisingly genial manner once the deed is done however, so as to spend more time back at the warehouse to actually learn to aim the drat thing properly, since it has a bit more of a kick than the pea shooter he'd taken to practicing with (with extra emphasis on how badass he looked while holding it out to be, uh, properly threatening, sure).

Which all leaves him standing around for their eventual explanation. "Buncha tulips, who cares 'bout them," he muttered under his breath with regards to the elves before brightening up to flash a grin at Lefty. "Ogre's ain't so bad," he adds, tapping a nondescript portion of the back of his own head. "Eight'r eleven good thumps to the soft spot 'fore they snap your legs off an' they'll be sleepin' til they're someone else's problem!" he beams.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Richard palms his face, then gives Lefty and Hecate a quick glare. "Naturally you lot are so drat clever that you'll be able to charm away any trouble you come across. They're guidelines, not tenets. All the same, Lefty, we don't have any ins with Mandel's authority so I'm trusting you to make a good impression when you go through. Establish a professional working relationship, that sort of thing."" He looks over to Oreom and blows some smoke over the table. "Most Elves ARE tulips, I agree, but their weapons hurt just the same and their government will increase your earnings all the same too. Just as soon as we get them on our side."

"You can leave when you're ready, though I'll be trying to hire a proper accountant today. Maybe they'd be able to help you prepare for your trip. The sooner the better, of course."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 9, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa lets out a breath, frustrated.
"If we're arresting someone, it's because they're important enough to bring back here anyway. We're not out hunting bandits."
She picks up one of the rifles, examining it, then sets it down before picking up one of the scrolls.
"Besides, there's a middle ground between executing prisoners in cold blood and taking dear and precious care of your enemies."
She stares at it for a bit, mumbling under her breath, then suddenly smiles.
"Oh. Ha! It works..."
She fits it and one of the stones in a pouch at her side.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar comes out of the room eventually, he seems happy and would look entirely normal except for the seven and a half foot snake draped over his shoulders. He acts as if nothing at all is different, just listening to what Richard and the others are saying before finally interjecting, "It is our duty to bring these people to justice on behalf of <dwrf>Geareg<dwrf> and the association that has trusted us with this position. If we have to suffer through prisoners then we suffer through prisoners. I don't see why it's even a debate, you've been given your orders. The correct response is Yes, Sir."

He lets out a grumble and mutters a bit as he walks over to the rifles, he examines them before scoffing and saying, "These loud paltry things, feel free to bring them, but I'll stick with Ol' Longdraw." He pats his own composite longbow before sniffing lightly and saying, "One of us should take all the scrolls for now, then when we get to the area we're going to we can dole them out to each section of the expedition so we all have one in case we need to contact headquarters." He finally pats the snakes head lightly and then says, "I'm gonna go get some food for this little darling here, I don't want her eating a gnome or something."

quote:

Survival roll to find some rats or something suitable for the snake to eat.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Edie von Altman, who is getting less confident in her coworkers by the minute

Edie's eyebrows raise at Hecate's little animated servant, but despite what church dogma implies, there are much bigger, scarier things to worry about than some hedge witch animating a goblin skeleton to do chores for her, so she doesn't bother saying anything. Rather, she weighs in on the conversation at hand from the other room, still steadily loading practice rounds into her custom rifle and firing them off at the targets.

"This means, I assume, that we are to play nice with the elves and attempt as diplomatic an approach as possible, yes?" She stops her shooting for a moment to look around the room at the others again. "Are you sure this group is suitable for a mission of diplomacy? I have a feeling someone will get upset, and then a sacred tree will get set on fire and that will be the end of our working relationship with the elves."

She is confident in her own ability to be diplomatic, of course, and some of them (the half-giant and the swordswoman in particular) seem articulate enough to get by...but all the same, it is a worry.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate can't help but give a slight chuckle at Richard's statement. The man has an enormous stick up there, and she feels amused at the prospect of teasing him like that. "Well, i managed to establish a proper disguise AND negotiation before things got awry on the previous affair, so indeed, i am confident on my ability to 'charm away potential trouble'. Of course, the help of everyone would be needed, more specifically, try to not do anything while I'm talking with someone."

Of course, the course of events presented by Edie look quite ominous to Hecate. Yes, something like that would most likely happen during that mission.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"Diplomacy and lighting trees on fire will have to wait until you actually enter Ostorn. Prisoners and arson aside, your real goal here is to discover why an entire nation hasn't contacted the rest of the world for a year of peace-time. Your real concern here is planning for an expedition into the wild, not an ambassador's ball. And I have to repeat, it's entirely possible you're going to be entering a hostile area under the rule of a Flayer or an over-grown thrall. That's the damndest thing, I've got no idea what to expect until you tell me." An alarming prospect, written in Richard's face as an extra-sour frown.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of chaff to sort through. Luckily, I've already got you lot as my blood-thirsty smart-asses. Now I need somebody to actually run a business! Heh heh." Richard may in fact be enjoying himself through all this, if his first uttered bit of mirth in your presence is anything to go by. He heads back upstairs to start addressing the crowd of interviewees.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "With an attitude like that, Miss Edie, I can tell we're gonna get along like a house on fire. By which I mean there may be no survivors."

It takes Lefty all of about five minutes to pack a bag. Say what you will about abject poverty, you travel light.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

"This one has tasks to attend to before we depart the city. She will return when She is finished."

P'ui heads out into the streets to canvass her old hideouts for an information broker. She was too bad with people to get her own leads, but coin was never refused by people with more ears and eyes than her.

edit: I'm looking for information on the whereabouts of Nick Carbon's daughter. To information brokers other than the ones I'm asking about Flora, I'm going to get details on Nick Carbon's sentencing/trial dates/etc as well as plans of the Geareg prisons he's kept in.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 11, 2013

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

P'ui: You hit up the most reliable, tried and true source of information in Geareg: old newspapers. They get dumped frequently and it's amazing that such information is so easily found for free. You learn that Nick Carbon will be sentenced in a month and he's being held in Geareg Below in the infamous <Dwarf>Prison Of Enduring And Eternal Repentance<Dwarf>, or the Akahrazn as it's more quickly known. Said to be the largest prison in the world and sealed tighter than an Ancestor's Tomb. Your brokers have nothing to say about this except that Dwarven Justice is a lot meaner than Common/Human Justice and that he may as well be dead.

Finding the whereabouts of Flora is significantly harder, as nobody on the street has any idea. Everyone you talk to wasn't aware/didn't care that Nick had family until they read it off-hand in the paper. Flora has no obvious contacts, acquaintances or even notable activity in the city. You get the sneaking suspicion that the girl who snuck into the forbidden abomination dissection lab to read the dissections logs may have been an introvert.

Everybody Else: You've got your task, you can depart immediately or prepare for the journey and then depart almost immediately. Before you can immediately leave the Foreman's Office(seeing as how everyone has temporarily become a bit inert), you hear Richard yell at the top of his lungs at somebody to :getout: "GET OUT, YOU DARK-BELLIED SNEAK!" The Elven petitioner leaves his office and the building in a hurry, clearly freaked out and retreating back to the alley across the street they were at earlier.

Richard: "Next!" The Lizardfolk quartet heads in, two blue-scaled men and women who are laughing at the out-burst and whispering quietly in crude Draconic to one another, one of the women pummeling the man's shoulder in a fit of laughter at an in-joke.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 11, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Nice ta know the interview process is goin' well. We're off, eh?"

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar comes back after finding vermin and feeding his new pretty beasty and gathers his things. He, much like Lefty, is prepared to live a good long while from merely a backpack. He walks up to Lefty and claps his shoulder, "Well, Lad, this'll be fun or it will be like pulling teeth from a troll. Either way, it'll be something." He shoots a grin towards Edie and mutters in his accented common, "What do you mean, lass. I've always found the idea of elves to be incredibly amusing. I highly doubt I'll offend them, I have heard they like prancing, trimming trees and drinking from rosebuds. Hardly sound like a folk you'd need to worry about getting upset over stuff. I mean, you don't go around being that ridiculously easy to put shots at if you're not expecting a bit of it. Sound like a lot I'd love to meet! They wear their flaws out in the open and have somehow survived."

He pulls Lefty along towards the door, leaning in to mutter, "She is right though, half this lot is like to get hungry and try to eat a drat elf or something. Try to keep your head, I know I <dorf>hosed<dorf> up a bit in that last mission, sorry about that. I was upset about the flayer being so close to my homeland."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Well, well, well diplomatic niceties will be required. Thorgeisl could probably do a better job at it than most of these fools, though it is hardly his preference. Nor would he prefer to deal with elves. Still if it gives him the chance to hunt down the flayers, or any remnants of theirs, it could be tolerated.

Hopefully the mission will not fall apart this time, particularly with himself getting summarily included into whatever group an individual had wanted to pin the blame upon. Truly the biggest problem was that the group had scattered with a half-dozen different ideas of how to go about their mission, without bothering to inform the others of their little plans. And the theft. The theft of the mace had apparently triggered some warnings, or displeasure toward the group preventing them from simply walking out in secret.

Not that Thorgeisl could blame Oreom for wanting to vent at the rather constrained nature of their parts in the last mission, by the end Thorgeisl himself had wanted to burn the place down. Though neither Oreom nor Thorgeisl were the ones who had that honor in the end.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

Oreom spends quite a bit of his prep time continuing to train himself in his new (old) rifle and the heft of his new mace, though admittedly, he did spend an awful lot of time swinging that thing around outside, occasionally in parks, anywhere where there might have been a lot of bystanders who might take notice of such things and report them to the ears of people who might be looking for missing maces. To test their newfound authoritarian immunity? Of course not -- he just didn't know how else to get ahold of the original owner of the mace to demand that she still owed him dinner. The odds of such subtly masterminded tactics working in so short a span of time being what they were however, he ended up ready and front and center to leave with the others when the time came. Why so unusually prompt?

Well, he had cottoned on to the fact pretty quickly that lost civilizations meant lost riches, and no one to claim him a thief when he helped himself.

And if there were people to claim such? Pft, they were elves!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"My, my, i'm appalled at the thought of being called a 'smart-rear end'." Hecate quips as she fakes indignation at Richard's remark. Mister Gobby follows her outside of the building, dragging the bag where she kept most of her inventory, as keeping that minion inside the building as they were away would not be the best of ideas, specially when the duration of her control spell ran out. "Perhaps one day I shall have my own tower full of these shambling minions, like a witch in he stories." She says with a playful tone at the rest of the group, even though they might not interpret that as a joke at all.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa peers at the skeleton, crouching a little and tapping it on the skull.
"How long does this last, anyway?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"As long as no one breaks it, Vanessa. I do need to renew the spell that makes it obedient every few days though..." Hecate says while patting Gobby's skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

"Huhh, alright."
She frowns, then looks at Hecate, looks like she wants to ask a further question, then shrugs and turns off. Time to go.

• Locked thread