Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maqzek
Dec 21, 2012

Bondematt posted:

In Arma 2 yes, I assume it's the same in 3.

the night dad posted:

Quick question: Low shadows is what pushes it to CPU, correct?

Doesn't it also look better? Shadows are sharp on low iirc.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit: Game just updated. 7.4MB. But I don't know if it was a patch or my game that bugged and had to re-download something.
Edit 2: Probably the latter. Same version still.

Game did indeed update if you're on Development branch.

Following has been updated (taken from bis forums)

For animals_f.pbo, they removed Swarm_F.p3d and replaced the tuna textures with higher resolution.
For ui_f.pbo, small changes in RscDisplayGameOptions.sqf and RscDisplayMultiplayer.sqf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Regarding Arma 2 (still occurs but less so in 3), is their a graphics option to stop or smooth the detail transitions when you get closer to objects?

Simply running through the forest gives me a headache. Grass keeps shifting/changing locations and details, tree leaves fade in and out. Zooming in with RMB really highlights this. It's chaotic, and makes it near impossible to notice people.

Orv
May 4, 2011

rizuhbull posted:

Regarding Arma 2 (still occurs but less so in 3), is their a graphics option to stop or smooth the detail transitions when you get closer to objects?

Simply running through the forest gives me a headache. Grass keeps shifting/changing locations and details, tree leaves fade in and out. Zooming in with RMB really highlights this. It's chaotic, and makes it near impossible to notice people.

I believe you want Object Resolution.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
Are there "First Person Only" servers?

3rd person view is such a cheat.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Orv posted:

I believe you want Object Resolution.
Turning both that and Terrain to very high has helped quite a bit, but haven't fixed the issue. I don't see this occurring on other's Arma 2 games on youtube. There's usually shadows being drawn right in front of you as your run, but the foliage remains the same. I'll make a quick video showcasing what I'm seeing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They exist, but I can't currently remember how to check what settings a server is using. It's usually in the name, but I'unno otherwise.

rizuhbull posted:

Turning both that and Terrain to very high has helped quite a bit, but haven't fixed the issue. I don't see this occurring on other's Arma 2 games on youtube. There's usually shadows being drawn right in front of you as your run, but the foliage remains the same. I'll make a quick video showcasing what I'm seeing.

May just be an optimization thing. What's your Terrain Draw (Or whatever the view distance scale is called) at?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I don't want to use a mic. I play at random hours. I want to simply follow orders and play 2-20 player co-op missions (Arma 2+OA+BAF+PMC, Arma 3) with fellow goons. What's the best way to accomplish this?

Orv posted:

They exist, but I can't currently remember how to check what settings a server is using. It's usually in the name, but I'unno otherwise.

May just be an optimization thing. What's your Terrain Draw (Or whatever the view distance scale is called) at?
What exists? And medium I believe. It's playable when most settings are turned to very high, but not sure how bad fps will dip in a real mission.

I don't know if it's because it's a desert map, but Arma 3 doesn't seem to do this to me. It actually runs decent compared to 2.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 8, 2013

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like Dslyecxi has put together a nice short video detailing the main ideas behind the Arma games to those who are fresh to it. So if you've got friends to convert, sending this is a good start I should think.

http://youtu.be/RcbQk5VXKNE

Orv
May 4, 2011

rizuhbull posted:

I don't want to use a mic. I play at random hours. I want to simply follow orders and play 2-20 player co-op missions (Arma 2+OA+BAF+PMC, Arma 3) with fellow goons. What's the best way to accomplish this?
What exists? And medium I believe. It's playable when most settings are turned to very high, but not sure how bad fps will dip in a real mission.

The first bit was in answer to Braden's question. As for you, I mean the two sliders that say something along the lines of View Distance and Object Distance on the graphics page of the video settings. What do you have those at, they should run at at 100-10,000 number range or close to it.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I can't figure out how to toggle the sthud. I have it in the right directory, have ticked the checkbox in expansions but I don't know how to toggle it when playing the game. Little help?

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

fuckpot posted:

I can't figure out how to toggle the sthud. I have it in the right directory, have ticked the checkbox in expansions but I don't know how to toggle it when playing the game. Little help?

Did you install and enable CBA? it should be on by default. Also it goes without saying that you have to be in a group for it to appear.

EDIT: The FT hud should be on by default that is, CBA is another mod.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
So I don't need CBA?

Yep I am in a group. First tried it with a group of two but just tried it with a larger group and it still didn't work :iiam:

So just to recap, it goes in your base directory not your addons folder, you need to enable it in the Expansions menu, you need to be holding a compass, you need to be in a group and it also said it is optimised for the very small interface size which I have changed ARMA to. Could it be one of the options in the difficulty menu? I pretty much have all the extra HUD info set to on. I am on regular difficulty and the only changes I have made are removing the extended armour and removing the targeting reticule.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

fuckpot posted:

So I don't need CBA?

Yep I am in a group. First tried it with a group of two but just tried it with a larger group and it still didn't work :iiam:

So just to recap, it goes in your base directory not your addons folder, you need to enable it in the Expansions menu, you need to be holding a compass, you need to be in a group and it also said it is optimised for the very small interface size which I have changed ARMA to. Could it be one of the options in the difficulty menu? I pretty much have all the extra HUD info set to on. I am on regular difficulty and the only changes I have made are removing the extended armour and removing the targeting reticule.

You do need CBA.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Kerc Kasha posted:

You do need CBA.
Yep thanks, after googling what CBA stood for it seemed obvious that I needed it and everything works fine now. Cheers for the help.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Speaking of how far things have come from Operation Flashpoint, I always loved the lowest level of detail soldier model that would come out when things were really bogged down (or far away), where it was the dude made entirely of sprites.

Each limb or moving part was two interlocking perpendicular sprites so they looked kinda like one of those little balsa wood airplanes that slot together. They still moved correctly, so it looked surprisingly OK.

I remember my 333mhz amd k6-2 processor with a voodoo 3 card couldn't run the OFP demo well. I turned everything all the way down and remember that models didn't appear unless they were about 3 feet away from me and when they suddenly popped up they were these sprite/mesh monstrosities. Thank god I got a new computer eventually cause it was running at about 5 fps.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Is loading CBA fairly simple? The instructions seem to indicate that there's only documentation/installation guides for ARMA2.

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

Try tweaking antialiasing options. I think I had an issue similar to your description and had to disable antialiasing completely to fix it (I had some borrowed Radeon card at that time).

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Probably a question asked on every page, but nothing stated on the OP. How optimised is this compared to Arma 2? Better? Worse? The same?

I could hardly run Arma 2 on this PC.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imapanda posted:

Probably a question asked on every page, but nothing stated on the OP. How optimised is this compared to Arma 2? Better? Worse? The same?

I could hardly run Arma 2 on this PC.

Runs better than ArmA 2 for almost everyone, it seems.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
How to install mods: http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

:siren: Use step TWO, the modfolder method. It's the same process.

The only difference is instead of putting the launch parameter in the .exe, just do it through steam by right clicking the Arma 3 alpha and going to it's properties, then 'set launch options'

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Mederlock posted:

How to install mods: http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

:siren: Use step TWO, the modfolder method. It's the same process.

The only difference is instead of putting the launch parameter in the .exe, just do it through steam by right clicking the Arma 3 alpha and going to it's properties, then 'set launch options'

Thank you sir. :cheers:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'll do a little write up on the available mods and how to install mods in the OP sometime later, maybe some other sutff if I feel inclined. Maybe missions as well.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

GoldenNugget posted:

I remember my 333mhz amd k6-2 processor with a voodoo 3 card couldn't run the OFP demo well. I turned everything all the way down and remember that models didn't appear unless they were about 3 feet away from me and when they suddenly popped up they were these sprite/mesh monstrosities. Thank god I got a new computer eventually cause it was running at about 5 fps.

Funnily enough..I had exactly that spec too when I first tried OFP. Mine was playable at low detail, but there was one campaign mission (where you have to kill two ZSU-23's so the Cobra helicopters can give support) where the presence of the helicopters for some reason just utterly hosed the cpu to death.

I wish new players could experience something like 'After Montignac' for the first time. It was incredible. That sense of being alone and hunted across this huge landscape, none of which was off limits.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

wargames posted:

There was only like one guy whining about TS3

hopterque posted:

It was just one guy spergin' about it in irc, everyone else seems fine with teamspeak for now.

Oh the irony. :allears:

I'm pretty sure Mederlock said that a lot of people have asked to transition to Mumble, not just "one guy." Goons still come into IRC to complain about having to download and set up TS because the majority of gaming goons already have and know how to use Mumble. I've been the persistently vocal goon for change as the idea keeps getting shot down by a couple stubborn grognards that refuse to give up TS on the basis that it's used for a spergy radio mod for Arma 2.

Guys we need to maintain support for a mod for a different game. :qqsay:

Unfortunately the Mumble goons aren't as spergy as the TS goons and as such the passive majority gets drowned out by the stubborn minority trying to discredit the former. I'm done trying to be a voice for Mumble goons though, grognards are just going to whine about their sperging ways, same that goons will always complain about having to use TS.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 8, 2013

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

ACE won't work with Mumble so please stop complainin' and bein' stupid because ACE3 is going to be the best.

PS: Gooncave goons still play Arma2. Feel free to go use your own Mumble or CTS whenever you want, you have the freedom of choice! Also please stop sperging about spergs, because there is an intense sense of irony about someone getting so concerned about a 10MB or smaller piece of software that requires one-time setup.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 8, 2013

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Jippa posted:

Rocket mortar away!

This is the best. Working as intended.

Edit: In all seriousness, I hope this is one of those bug reports that gets filed under 'will not fix, too funny.'

Crigit fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 8, 2013

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
What.

To be clear, I don't care either way but the main thing seemed to be "why change when they're both equally good and most people have both installed and we already have a teamspeak server where people hang out and play arma" except for you being extremely vocal about wanting everyone to switch to mumble for some reason. If everyone wants to switch to mumble cool it's no big deal but what's the point when there's a ts server that people already use and are used to using. I mean, I just started playing with the irc gang a few days ago when the alpha came out so I guess I'm not sure why there's even an issue.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

We need some goons for Arma3, by the way. Like right now. On Gooncave.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Regardless of context I enjoy the use of "grognards"

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Orv posted:

Runs better than ArmA 2 for almost everyone, it seems.

Even allowing for the fact that the showcase is on a small island (Arma 2's Utes was pretty fast, too) I have never had performance like this from a BIS game on release.

Abrahamsen
Jul 1, 2009
For what it's worth, I also think that mumble should be used instead of teamspeak.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TheTrend posted:

Army 3 doesn't use digicam this game is bullshit crap and unrealistic. I'm going back to Arma II to play a true milsim.

They're wearing Multicam, which is what the US is wearing in Afghanistan and all the cool cat militaries are switching over to.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Another vote for mumble.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of goons use mumble exclusively, for most of the mp games on here. I suggest we try to get a sub channel on one of the planetside 2 servers (bfgoons or psgoons) as a lot of us are on there too.

If you want more goons to play this mumble is a good idea.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Also supporting mumble here. TS is just an unnecessary barrier to entry for most goons, and even if ACRE existed for arma 3 it'd still break constantly and make everything terrible and frustrating. Wasn't someone just complaining about how ACRE requires a different version of TS3 than the server runs?

Arguments that 'everyone is already using ts and we already have a server' are bullshit because pretty much every goon gamer uses mumble and we are swimming in appropriate mumble servers.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

maqzek posted:

Following has been updated (taken from bis forums)

For animals_f.pbo, they removed Swarm_F.p3d and replaced the tuna textures with higher resolution.

I mean, I didn't want to complain but FINALLY - realistic Tuna textures.

Welcome to 2013, Bohemia.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
I am still waiting for the play as a tuna feature to be implemented. Being able to play as a rabbit just isn't quite enough.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whole lotta stratis ended up with whole lotta crash for me. Keep on troopin'.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

ijyt posted:

Whole lotta stratis ended up with whole lotta crash for me. Keep on troopin'.

That mission runs fine for a good half hour for me and then it starts lagging and getting progressively worse until I have to exit.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

fuckpot posted:

I am still waiting for the play as a tuna feature to be implemented. Being able to play as a rabbit just isn't quite enough.

Obviously an adversarial mission will be in order that pits a school of tuna against purse-seiner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Personally I can't wait for the "Real Scuba" mod that makes people actually perform basic dive techniques, or sink like a stone with the bends.