Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

ijyt posted:

Whole lotta stratis ended up with whole lotta crash for me. Keep on troopin'.

Yeah, I left the game for a minute and I couldn't get back in since it would crash on Receiving Data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I was one of people complaining about Teamspeak because I couldn't link anything in chat because I had some stupid rank or whatever sperg poo poo TS users can get. Now that's fixed by having dozens of them. Mumble is good for most stuff but yeah it's not compatible with ACRE which puts the ArmA II guys at a disadvantage.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Kaal posted:

Personally I can't wait for the "Real Scuba" mod that makes people actually perform basic dive techniques, or sink like a stone with the bends.

Look you have to do a series of indoor dives to get certified as well as participate in an 8 hour in-game SCUBA class before you can even LOOK at some flippers.

This mod's about realism, bub.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
The scuba missions will eventually be modded to include sharks and poo poo, right? They have to be.

I'm imagining modern day Somali pirate battles. Some Far Cry 3-ish stuff.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

LP97S posted:

I was one of people complaining about Teamspeak because I couldn't link anything in chat because I had some stupid rank or whatever sperg poo poo TS users can get. Now that's fixed by having dozens of them. Mumble is good for most stuff but yeah it's not compatible with ACRE which puts the ArmA II guys at a disadvantage.

I mean, if we were to switch it, the arma 2 guys can still use the TS for ACRE, and whenever you're playing Arma 3 you just use the mumble server

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

So I work up the courage to click on a multiplayer game. Something about zombies or something else and I spawn as a bird. Now I am a bird and I fly around the map and I don't care about your silly war anymore.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

the black husserl posted:

So I work up the courage to click on a multiplayer game. Something about zombies or something else and I spawn as a bird. Now I am a bird and I fly around the map and I don't care about your silly war anymore.

ARMA 3: Next-gen Sara Teasdale poem simulator

Abrahamsen
Jul 1, 2009

Kaal posted:

Personally I can't wait for the "Real Scuba" mod that makes people actually perform basic dive techniques, or sink like a stone with the bends.

SCUBA-ACE features:

- Remember to put your breather in your mouth.
- Small amounts of water will get in your swimming goggles, surface and flip them up to get it out temporarily.
- Fear of whatever could be lurking in the deep darkness underneath is simulated by your character constantly drifting towards the beach.
- Put on earplugs or the waves hitting the beach will break your tympanic membrane.
- Actions are performed at 50% speed underwater since in real life you would be wondering whether what you were told as a kid about not eating 30 minutes before diving is true or not.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Oh no they kept the spectator bird... Are the controls poo poo and do you constantly get stuck in trees?

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

Oh no they kept the spectator bird... Are the controls poo poo and do you constantly get stuck in trees?

Birds (and other wildlife, from the beta phase onward) are now fully part of the combined-arms experience in ARMA. Animal control is smooth and feelsome, so you can just live the life of a bird without distraction. Additionally, other players can act as birdwatchers, integrating non-bird players into your playing experience.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NovaPolice posted:

Birds (and other wildlife, from the beta phase onward) are now fully part of the combined-arms experience in ARMA. Animal control is smooth and feelsome, so you can just live the life of a bird without distraction. Additionally, other players can act as birdwatchers, integrating non-bird players into your playing experience.

I would play the gently caress out of this. Make this, somebody, please. PVP pokemon snap with a bird identification angle.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

If someone can get a decent animal AI system working, this will become the best hunting and camping simulator ever made. I spent a while chasing a rabbit earlier.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.
Rabbits have nine stances, from laying down belly-up all the way through standing on rear legs with ears extended.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I would play the gently caress out of this. Make this, somebody, please. PVP pokemon snap with a bird identification angle.

And simulate bokeh effects with wider apertures of different telephoto zoom lenses etc.

If someone can get a decent animal AI system working, this will become the best hunting and camping simulator ever made. I spent a while chasing a rabbit earlier.

They had hunting random generated missions in ArmA2 with the CZ550 and other rifles. They also had missions where you ran around as a goat and tried not to get shot by hunters.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

nub posted:

Rabbits have nine stances, from laying down belly-up all the way through standing on rear legs with ears extended.

GoldenNugget posted:

And simulate bokeh effects with wider apertures of different telephoto zoom lenses etc.

They had hunting random generated missions in ArmA2 with the CZ550 and other rifles. They also had missions where you ran around as a goat and tried not to get shot by hunters.

Is it okay if I'm actually freaking out a little bit at the thought of this? I have to have this game. I would kickstart an Arma mod that did this.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Is it okay if I'm actually freaking out a little bit at the thought of this? I have to have this game. I would kickstart an Arma mod that did this.

That was in the default ArmA 2 armory system. It would periodically generate a task you could accept that would involve doing something with what you were loving around with. Sometimes it would be pretty stupid and give you a task to take out a T-72 with your Lee Enfield. But most of the time it worked alright.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
So picked this up after watching a bunch of gameplay and seeing some of the modding potential. Looks great and runs alright, but now I'm wondering what I should do first. I've never actually played ARMA before.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

SoapyTarantula posted:

That was in the default ArmA 2 armory system. It would periodically generate a task you could accept that would involve doing something with what you were loving around with. Sometimes it would be pretty stupid and give you a task to take out a T-72 with your Lee Enfield. But most of the time it worked alright.

My favorite armory flub was when it tried to have me shoot skeet with a mortar. :allears: I hope the Armory will be returning in ARMA III.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

misterdoo01 posted:

So picked this up after watching a bunch of gameplay and seeing some of the modding potential. Looks great and runs alright, but now I'm wondering what I should do first. I've never actually played ARMA before.

Play the showcases, start up the editor and spawn some guns and vehicles to get familiar with the map and mechanics. After that, jump in IRC if you have it to link up with some guys to play some shooty mans.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

Kaal posted:

They're wearing Multicam, which is what the US is wearing in Afghanistan and all the cool cat militaries are switching over to.

FYI US Marine Corps is still in digcam, so "cool cat" might not be the descriptor you're looking for. :colbert:

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
I'm still disappointed that the Sasquatch in Arma 2 was an April Fools Joke.

GLUB GLUB

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eagle-eyed bat-eared AI still being goddamn annoying over all these game iterations.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I find myself suffering from the same symptoms when I play. Every now and then my character will "Enemy rifleman spotted 2km away" when I'm inside a house not near a window. :confused:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
CHKilroy posted a quick fix for the crazy accurate AI that can be put into missions.

quote:

put this into init.sqf in the mission's folder and the ai will be smartish but inaccurate:

{_x setSkill 0.8; _x setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", 0.35];} foreach allUnits;

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
So in the helicopter mission how the hell are you supposed to kill those mortars with the helicopter? The DAGR can't lock on and the minigun is useless even after 10 passes.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Does the alpha expire at some point or will it be playable until the beta is released?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Instrumedley posted:

Does the alpha expire at some point or will it be playable until the beta is released?
Rolls right into the beta (and beta right into release).

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Proof you can't spell Armed Assault without ART.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Man this editor is really awesome. I'm surprised by how easy it is to just throw down a bunch of units and then go at it. Reminds me of when I'd play with Army Men as a kid.

avisgoth
May 7, 2003

"Are you OK, or are you just fat?"

misterdoo01 posted:

Man this editor is really awesome. I'm surprised by how easy it is to just throw down a bunch of units and then go at it. Reminds me of when I'd play with Army Men as a kid.

So this feeds into my question: I used to love screwing around in the editor for OP Flash and creating ridiculous scenarios and whatnot. Great time. Anyway (opinion) should I buy ARMA2 complete or this beta? Would it make more sense to get in on ARMA3 now or is ARMA2 the better way to go for stability/fun?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

avisgoth posted:

So this feeds into my question: I used to love screwing around in the editor for OP Flash and creating ridiculous scenarios and whatnot. Great time. Anyway (opinion) should I buy ARMA2 complete or this beta? Would it make more sense to get in on ARMA3 now or is ARMA2 the better way to go for stability/fun?
As a personal recommendation, outside of the obvious low amount of content due to alpha status 3 is in, it is so much better I already uninstalled 2.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

avisgoth posted:

This is a better buy since ArmA3 apparently runs better than ArmA2. The movement improvements are significant and while there aren't as many units in ArmA3, they'll be added in later updates/mods. I'm sure most of the content from ArmA2 will be ported over anyway. It was the same with ArmA1 and ArmA2. Most people moved on for the improvements in 2 and the community for ArmA1 kind of died.

misterdoo01 posted:

Reminds me of my micromachines which were awesome. I find it amusing that all the units that I had were either the evil grey men or good tan men. And they were all Blufor units with no migs or anything unless I'm forgetting something.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

avisgoth posted:

I'm just gonna point out that you shouldn't buy an ARMA game if you're expecting any amount of stability. On that note, the ARMA 3 Alpha is somehow more stable than ARMA 2 right now. Also more fun.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I cant play mp in this game. Every time I try to join a server it crashes during the recieving data stage. :(

avisgoth
May 7, 2003

"Are you OK, or are you just fat?"

Dukka posted:

As a personal recommendation, outside of the obvious low amount of content due to alpha status 3 is in, it is so much better I already uninstalled 2.

GoldenNugget posted:

This is a better buy since ArmA3 apparently runs better than ArmA2. The movement improvements are significant and while there aren't as many units in ArmA3, they'll be added in later updates/mods. I'm sure most of the content from ArmA2 will be ported over anyway. It was the same with ArmA1 and ArmA2. Most people moved on for the improvements in 2 and the community for ArmA1 kind of died.

ShadowMar posted:

I'm just gonna point out that you shouldn't buy an ARMA game if you're expecting any amount of stability. On that note, the ARMA 3 Alpha is somehow more stable than ARMA 2 right now. Also more fun.

Well you guys sold me, thank you for the recommendations. Also I was half joking about the stability thing, I remember all too well early (and late for that matter) Op Flash :)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Raneman posted:

So in the helicopter mission how the hell are you supposed to kill those mortars with the helicopter? The DAGR can't lock on and the minigun is useless even after 10 passes.

I think there might be some explosives nearby the mortars or something, because I managed to blow up the whole area on my first flyby with a lucky minigun run. You could also just dumbfire a DAGR I suppose.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Where's a good place to upload small mission files so everyone on here can grab them?

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
Google Drive? Dropbox? GitHub?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Raneman posted:

Press tab when pointing in the mortars general direction, you'll cycle through the targets. keep your crosshairs aimed as close as you can to the diamond. Once the second diamond that appears is closely overlayed and solid and the same size as the first locking diamond, press fire. Make sure the DAGR is selected. BOOM, homing missiles.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Where's a good place to upload small mission files so everyone on here can grab them?

Definitely dropbox, since it's super easy and is fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I like puush.me because I can just press CTRL+SHIFT+U and instantly upload a file and then it sends the download link to the clipboard the second its done uploading.