Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
VS 38 Random Firefight

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vixrzfa5s0gi5al/VS%252038%2520Random%2520firefight%2520v1.Stratis.pbo

I made a bunch of these back in the WGL days. They're super simple and were always pretty fun. We had one for about every map we used.

-OPFOR spawns in one of 5 places and defends it from BLUFOR.
-Ends when one side dies or all of OPFOR is outside their defensive zone. (No insta-kill poo poo, you can go wherever you want, but as soon as nobody is left in the spawn area, OPFOR loses)
-BLUFOR has a handful of vehicles and OPFOR has mines / explosives.
-OPFOR Squad Leader must be filled with a player or AI (don't disable AI)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

BIG HORNY COW posted:

VS 38 Random Firefight

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vixrzfa5s0gi5al/VS%252038%2520Random%2520firefight%2520v1.Stratis.pbo

I made a bunch of these back in the WGL days. They're super simple and were always pretty fun. We had one for about every map we used.

-OPFOR spawns in one of 5 places and defends it from BLUFOR.
-Ends when one side dies or all of OPFOR is outside their defensive zone. (No insta-kill poo poo, you can go wherever you want, but as soon as nobody is left in the spawn area, OPFOR loses)
-BLUFOR has a handful of vehicles and OPFOR has mines / explosives.
-OPFOR Squad Leader must be filled with a player or AI (don't disable AI)

Thanks!! I can't use the editor well enough yet so this stuff is awesome. Also holy poo poo are their destructable buildings in this game? I started a multiplayer session and a helicopter had crashed into a radio tower, destroying it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the black husserl posted:

Thanks!! I can't use the editor well enough yet so this stuff is awesome. Also holy poo poo are their destructable buildings in this game? I started a multiplayer session and a helicopter had crashed into a radio tower, destroying it.

Almost every building is destructible to some degree. It's not Battlefield3-like destruction but you can still blow up buildings/knock down most walls/knock down some trees if you shoot enough explosives at them or crash into them hard enough.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is there a "Heli-H" in this yet? I've seen those heli markers on the ground, and choppers do favor them, but it's not in the empty object list and I'm not seeing any posts about it.

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of classlists for inventory stuff, guns and hats, but nothing for vehicles.

superedit: well hello there in editor config...thing

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 9, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

hailthefish posted:

Almost every building is destructible to some degree. It's not Battlefield3-like destruction but you can still blow up buildings/knock down most walls/knock down some trees if you shoot enough explosives at them or crash into them hard enough.

Wow. I finally got into a stable multiplayer game, something simple just ten opfor vs. ten blufor around the marina. Holy poo poo that was the most emergent and dynamic game experience I've had in a while.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I had a ton of fun playing online with you guys today despite sucking so bad. How easy/hard is it to get into the mission editing portion of the game? The thing that's getting me super pumped about this game is its potential to be just like playing with army men in the sandbox as a kid. And with other people, too!

I can't wait until the alpha lite keys become available so I can pass them along to my friends to get them into it as well.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Bondematt posted:

Is there a "Heli-H" in this yet? I've seen those heli markers on the ground, and choppers do favor them, but it's not in the empty object list and I'm not seeing any posts about it.

I don't think there is, no. :smith:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
We need tractors for Farmer Dan. BIS better add them or else.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Mederlock posted:

I don't think there is, no. :smith:

I was looking for one the other day and couldn't find it, so I think it's relatively safe to say that it's not in yet.

e: apparently I am wrong! ignore this

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 9, 2013

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Was playing escape the island earlier. Picked the demolitions expert (always). I took it upon myself to make the most of my class. Satchels, like Arma 2, are the best pieces of equipment in the game. Should be able to carry more explosives, though.

Also had an attack heli come in low firing soft ammo at my future-humvee-thingy. Thankfully the humvee had a mounted grenade launcher, which I successfully hit the heli's tail rotor with twice. He can't regain control from the force of the blasts, he's low and moving fast. Ends up clipping a tree and landing upside down. Somehow the helicopter didn't explode, but a body was on the ground when I drove up on the "wreck". It's certainly an Arma game.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
"HeliH" is 'in', but the model is set to that of a BMP.

looks like "Land_HelipadSquare_F" works though.

Edit: and helicopters seems to give no fucks about light poles. drat thing just casually cruised into it, and unloaded me from 50+ feet.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 9, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Look you have to do a series of indoor dives to get certified as well as participate in an 8 hour in-game SCUBA class before you can even LOOK at some flippers. This mod's about realism, bub.

REAL SCUBA REALISM AAR

0400: "Spec Ops Naval Recon" Mission Start
0415: Maritime Parachute Insertion
0417: CASUALTY - Over-weighted dive weights causes Pvt. Twinkletoes to sink uncontrollably
0420: MIA - Low vis. Navigational error causes a dive buddy pair to go missing
0425: INJURY - Heavy silting by dive party leads to Maj. Major becoming tangled in sea kelp, he is accidentally stabbed with an improper dive knife while being freed
0500: CASUALTY - Surviving dive team surfaces quickly to avoid shark, but Cpt. Rico neglected to study buoyancy control and is unable to ascend
0510: Spec Ops team reaches recon site, begins combat recon
0525: INJURY - Spec Ops team reports pain/loss of motor control without apparent cause
0545: CASUALTY - Half of surviving dive team rendered unconscious/dead from the bends suffered during rapid ascension while escaping shark
Team leader radios for medical pickup and delivery to a hyperbaric chamber
2000: Recon team released from dive chamber, put onto light duty.
2000: Mission Complete!

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It annoys me how they still don't have weapon resting in. My bipod equipped AR should not be bouncing around this much!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bondematt posted:

"HeliH" is 'in', but the model is set to that of a BMP.

looks like "Land_HelipadSquare_F" works though.

Edit: and helicopters seems to give no fucks about light poles. drat thing just casually cruised into it, and unloaded me from 50+ feet.

How do you put put down these items in the editor?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Mederlock posted:

How do you put put down these items in the editor?

Use a trigger(or anything with an on activate)

For a trigger:
change the condition from this to true

Then put this in the on activate

code:
nul = "Land_HelipadSquare_F" createVehicle (getMarkerPos "helipad1"); 
create a marker where you want the pad to be and name it helipad1

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 9, 2013

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
So, newbie Arma player here. Bought Arma 2, ran like poo poo, clunky, never played it for anything other than DayZ.

However, I finally got into a real game yesterday where people worked together and treated it seriously.

NOW I SEE WHAT THIS GAME IS ABOUT.

Only problem now is finding servers to play on. I'm looking for others to play with.
I did just join the Teamspeak Arma 3 channel and the steam group. My steamid is STUNTKID, but youll see me in game as matthewc.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
The goons normally play all day. Because its the weekend there shouldn't be any trouble finding a game tomorrow. Ill be tomorrow(today).

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

It annoys me how they still don't have weapon resting in. My bipod equipped AR should not be bouncing around this much!

Weapon resting was never in Arma2, it's an ACE feature.

That said, hopefully Arma3 will have built in weapon resting of its own.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bondematt posted:

Use a trigger(or anything with an on activate)

For a trigger:
change the condition from this to true

Then put this in the on activate

code:
nul = "Land_HelipadSquare_F" createVehicle (getMarkerPos "helipad1"); 
create a marker where you want the pad to be and name it helipad1

You are a gentlemen and a saint, thank you!

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

fuckpot posted:

First of all place your guy. Make him a Colonel. In unit mode place three mortars and make them Private. To place a mortar BLUFOR > static > mortar. Once that is done, hit F2 to enter group mode and drag a line between each mortar by clicking on a mortar and dragging to another. The line doesn't have to be connected in a circuit, just as long as a single line connects all three.

Once that is done hit F7 to enter module mode. Double click somewhere nearby and a menu will pop up. On the left hand side of the menu it will say Category and Module. You want your Category to be Supports, and your Module to be Support Provider: Artillery. Once that is done, double click again nearby and do the exact same thing except this time in the module pick Support Requester.

Once that is done hit F5 to enter Sync mode. Click and drag a line the same way you did for groups except this time connect the mortars to the first module to the second module and then to you. Once that is done you should be able to go in to the game and blow poo poo up with mortars, which is awesome fun.

edit: drat you

How do you get the mortars to not spawn all hosed up? Every time the map starts the mortar guys just flip over and are useless. Any command I give to fire I get "outside our target envelope"

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

TheTrend posted:

How do you get the mortars to not spawn all hosed up? Every time the map starts the mortar guys just flip over and are useless. Any command I give to fire I get "outside our target envelope"

If they're in a group together try setting them from "in formation" to "none" in the unit dialog.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

BIG HORNY COW posted:

If they're in a group together try setting them from "in formation" to "none" in the unit dialog.

I tried that already, and nothing :(

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

hailthefish posted:

Weapon resting was never in Arma2, it's an ACE feature.

That said, hopefully Arma3 will have built in weapon resting of its own.

I know, that's my point. Weapon resting is a good feature and it's annoying to find it's absence after they tightened up all of the other infantry bits.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Xerxes17 posted:

I know, that's my point. Weapon resting is a good feature and it's annoying to find it's absence after they tightened up all of the other infantry bits.
Which is why BIS pretty much nailed it with this alpha / beta / final game thing they're doing. Having all us users pay them to give feedback and find bugs. Its brilliant.

A lot of that stuff is probably gonna end up in the final game.

karphead
Apr 20, 2001

first mission dicking around with the new editor:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18892

2-team 28 player quadbike race, pistol loadouts only, random mines and obstacles on the track

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Which is why BIS pretty much nailed it with this alpha / beta / final game thing they're doing. Having all us users pay them to give feedback and find bugs. Its brilliant.

A lot of that stuff is probably gonna end up in the final game.

I have complete faith in that BIS will put in the good stuff that is suggested and viable for the game they are imagining, and steer clear of the spergy poo poo one can see at the biforums where people whine about the sun not being dangerous and poo poo.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It seems to help that honestly, the current devs (who speak up anyway*) just are not that spergy themselves! I mean, after the creative director said "let's not be afraid of that word, streamlined"... you know even he knew what he was up against, and he's carried a vision of "greater usability" seemingly consistently from E3 to now, hence the alpha getting such rave reviews... and at the very least, they seem committed to the vision of greater fluidity of infantry movement/weapon handling and controls; see the exchanges that I quoted from that "Better animations?" thread.

I should note though that the devs are probably aware of the lack of weapon rest, and the community manager/guy-who-makes-accounts-at-other-forums-to-act-as-BI-spokesman Dwarden has said that he for one is an advocate (within BI) for implementing weapon resting.

As for weapon switching on the move though... according to the animations lead, that's "Extremely difficult/impossible in our animation system atm. What we could do is make the weapon change very fast/instant - thoughts on that?"

P.S. The animations lead's response re: "why are Real Virtuality animations so static?" And here is his character modding tutorial!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The creative director should be applauded for standing up to the spergy part of the community and actually make a game that isn't just a great concept and sandbox, but actually playable by people who either a) haven't played since OFP or b) don't want to accept the clunky controls. For me it was never that much of a problem, and I play FPS shooters like PS2. But then again I have played the games since OFP, which is probably why. That being said, ArmA 3 is such a massive improvement in playability that it's pretty apparent that if they didn't go in this direction, they'd probably put a couple of nails in their own company and the game series' coffin.

I'm impressed that they seem to be doing everything right. Release a, for being an alpha, very impressive game. They have a feedback tracker which I assume they'll use to patch the most important stuff first, based on the votes. The alpha even supports modding and mission making.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
I'm rather jealous of all of you getting to play Arma 3 at the moment; I can't because I'm on holiday!

Though perhaps it's appropriate that I chose to spend my vacation in the Czech Republic...

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Look you have to do a series of indoor dives to get certified as well as participate in an 8 hour in-game SCUBA class before you can even LOOK at some flippers.

This mod's about realism, bub.
Ever since I saw, and more recently, played the Scuba sections all I can think of wanting to do incorporates Sean Connery and Balls of Thunder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMM72G5k48&t=358s

Hurry the gently caress up modders :argh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hazza posted:

I'm rather jealous of all of you getting to play Arma 3 at the moment; I can't because I'm on holiday!

Though perhaps it's appropriate that I chose to spend my vacation in the Czech Republic...

Sex tour? i couldn't take my woman there... unless for a trade in.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm eagerly awaiting the addition of clothing crates to Wasteland so I can lurk in the water and shoot people who come near the shore.

E: I managed to find a helicopter sitting in a gully on a Wasteland server, for some reason unmolested or sabotaged. I managed to get it in the air and spent a half hour flying over event points and generally being shot at without any real issues. I think maybe three hits landed out of at least two hundred rounds people shot at me. I got the flight mechanics (that are going to change :smith:) down and decided to see just what the KH-60 could take. Got it up to 320KPH, 30m off the ground and took it over the air base around the rock outcropping at the far middle of this picture.

The entire motor and rotor assembly instantly went red and the blades started powering down. I managed to land it without dying on the hill where it is now, which I'm stupidily proud of, since in ArmA 2 if I did that I'd just be a smear.

E2: In fact the gully I found the helicopter in is the gully on the other side of the far hill in that screenshot. :unsmith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 9, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
So I am about to get the digital deluxe edition on Steam.

However I am in Germany and for some reason Steam wants me to "verify that I live in Germany".
I am pretty sure that is some thing about which version I get to play.

I really want to have an international edition of ArmA3 not some castrated shitversion with annoying German voice tracks.

If I go to the BI store and buy it there, setting my country to something other than Germany, will I be able to activate this in Steam?
Has anyone tried this?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I'm German, and as far as I'm aware, there aren't even any German voiceovers. Since this game also doesn't have flying limbs or anything, it is highly unlikely that it will be cut.
What I think is happening is just a security feature of Steam, so a hacker from a different country/continent doesn't use your account to buy all the games.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Xerxes17 posted:

I must be missing something, the infantry feels exactly the same to me as Arma2.

I thought one of the big things about this version was that it was supposed to built new from the ground up, when it is obviously just the latest iteration of what went before. The interface is still clunky and terrible (although slightly less so), the AI is still godawful ( soldiers with IQs in the sub 60 range combined with terminator marksmanship) and although I haven't died by opening a door (yet) the first pickup truck I got into in a multiplayer game did a triple somersault from a stationary position and then slid to the bottom of a valley on its roof.

Meet the new arma, same as the old arma.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't think it was ever advertised that they were building from the ground up, In fact I remember several interviews in which they stressed how much effort they were putting on fixing bugs in the engine and 'getting features to work as originally intended', the AI specifically has been mentioned as something that they were 'fixing' and not rewriting. For what it's worth I'm also encountering a whole bunch of stability issues and saw some pretty silly AI behavior as well, the vehicle physics are pretty bad but that's something BI have specifically stated they're still implementing.

People are happy about the changes to the infantry controls cause it feels a lot more like what you've come to expect from an FPS this past decade compared to the 'realism' of ARMA2. I agree it's not really revolutionary as much as a rather trivial set of improvements but I do think it makes everything a lot more fun and satisfying.

I think people are pretty excited about the notion of 'ARMA2 but less clumsy and with a stable FPS rate', it's not a bad notion. It's still an ARMA.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

The addition of multiple stances is a massive boost to infantry play. Especially in ARMA 2 as the bullets actually came out of the end of the gun I no longer have to worry if the cover I'm running to is going to be an inch too high to shoot over.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Banano posted:

I must be missing something, the infantry feels exactly the same to me as Arma2.

I thought one of the big things about this version was that it was supposed to built new from the ground up, when it is obviously just the latest iteration of what went before. The interface is still clunky and terrible (although slightly less so), the AI is still godawful ( soldiers with IQs in the sub 60 range combined with terminator marksmanship) and although I haven't died by opening a door (yet) the first pickup truck I got into in a multiplayer game did a triple somersault from a stationary position and then slid to the bottom of a valley on its roof.

I went back to Arma2:OA out of curiousity and I have to say I think you're generally right. One one hand, this does suggest the improvements brought by OA are far better than I remember, and it's easy to throw it back in with the clunkiness of BI releases when it is actually pretty drat good. It is much closer to 3 than I thought.

There is a definite upside to movement and smoothness though in the Alpha. However it is still very much an Arma game.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think people are pretty excited about the notion of 'ARMA2 but less clumsy and with a stable FPS rate', it's not a bad notion. It's still an ARMA.

It's a pretty smart design objective. The series has always wanted for some proper polish, and it looks like this could achieve that.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 9, 2013

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Banano posted:

I don't agree at all. I've played OA right up until I got my hands on the ArmA 3 alpha and I feel a significant change in how the movement as infantry feels. It's possible to move in buildings now. It feels good. The AI is better. I just tried to AI squads versus each other, each attacking from a camp from either side. They took cover, covered each other and battled it out in a very satisfactory manner. It was interesting to see how the machinegunner of one of the squads covered and supressed one of the entrances along with some other guys, while a couple went round to flank outside the camp. Sure there was the occasional "look the wrong way out in the open and get killed" ai, but you can't call it "godawful". That's really unfair. It wasn't even "godawful" in ArmA 2.

The terminator marksmanship will probably be addressed at some point. Didn't Kilroy already find a remedy to the extreme accuracy, while maintaining the A.I skill?

I'd be hard pressed to find any area where this alpha isn't better (or much better) than the old game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

MrOnBicycle posted:

I don't agree at all. I've played OA right up until I got my hands on the ArmA 3 alpha and I feel a significant change in how the movement as infantry feels. It's possible to move in buildings now. It feels good. The AI is better. I just tried to AI squads versus each other, each attacking from a camp from either side. They took cover, covered each other and battled it out in a very satisfactory manner. It was interesting to see how the machinegunner of one of the squads covered and supressed one of the entrances along with some other guys, while a couple went round to flank outside the camp. Sure there was the occasional "look the wrong way out in the open and get killed" ai, but you can't call it "godawful". That's really unfair. It wasn't even "godawful" in ArmA 2.

The terminator marksmanship will probably be addressed at some point. Didn't Kilroy already find a remedy to the extreme accuracy, while maintaining the A.I skill?

I'd be hard pressed to find any area where this alpha isn't better (or much better) than the old game.

Agree with the movement but do you really think the AI is that different? I fired up stock OA last night and thought it was also pretty good, as long as the skill level is suitably high. Movement in particular around buildings was better than I remember it being, but I am aware that BI have made a lot of changes in the last year.

I think it's all good though. There is nothing I could say isn't better in the Alpha.