Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Recommendations for cordless phones? IE home phones, not cell phones? I figure it'd probably be hard to get a bad set but maybe there's a super awesome one that is cheaper for whatever reason. Looking for 3, in the $50-80 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

JerkyBunion posted:

I'm in the market for a new mattress. I've been moving a lot recently so I've been on an air mattress for about 8 or 9 months now and it's fine but I'm finally settling down and am in the market to get a real bed.

I don't have a lot of money but I'm willing to save up if need be. I am a big man (300# and 6'4) and I don't have a box spring.

I've been looking on Amazon at a combination such as this: Memory foam + 2-in-1 Frame/Box Spring.

I am concerned that a memory foam will be too warm or will break down in the middle but I've always had trouble with breakdowns on cheap beds. Looking for a queen (I like my space) but could do a full if the price difference + quality make it worth it.

A little late, but I've been sleeping on these for about a week now:

http://amzn.com/B0092UCN0Y
http://amzn.com/B00AZ0MSZU

The mattress comes with a 10 year warranty for foam breakdown and body impressions. My only regret is that I waited so long to get rid of my third-hand retired hotel mattress.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

GruntyThrst posted:

Recommendations for cordless phones? IE home phones, not cell phones? I figure it'd probably be hard to get a bad set but maybe there's a super awesome one that is cheaper for whatever reason. Looking for 3, in the $50-80 range.

If you hurry there's some refurb DECT phones on Woot today. The best thing about this particular model is that they use regular NiMH AAA batteries, so when they finally stop holding a charge in a few years you just chuck them and pop in some Eneloops instead of hunting all over creation for the right kind of proprietary phone battery.

Edit: Whoops, AAA, not AA.

Albu-quirky Guy has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Mar 8, 2013

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Orange_Lazarus posted:

More of a service recommendation, I hope that's fine:

Could anyone recommend the best company (preferably online) that I could use to transfer money overseas? My wife sends money to her grandmother in Peru once a month and she's been driving all the way across town to a Hispanic grocery store (For some reason it never dawned on me that there was probably a better alternative until now) just to do it. So not only do we pay for the transfer but also for the gas and the risk of an impulse buy.

I doubt you'll find anything better unless you start doing bank transfers (which are expensive and take ages). An alternative would be Payoneer, which is basically a debit (credit card) that you can fill using PayPal or a credit card. If her grandmother has a an ATM nearby it's a pretty good solution.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm looking for a cheap mp3 player.
I need a screen, real buttons, and a fast playback mode for podcasts.
I don't need more than 4 or 8GB, but SD expansion is great.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The only mp3 player you'll ever need, the Sansa Clip+.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

The only mp3 player you'll ever need, the Sansa Clip+.

Agreed. It's anecdotal, but I once lost it on my lawn overnight while it was raining and it's still working. As long as you aren't using juice draining headphones and aren't deaf the battery can last quite a bit. My only complaint is that I've busted the clip on the last two I've bought.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need a set of earbuds that are really great for jogging while listening to my MP3 player. The ones I have keep falling out of my ears since they're cheap and crappy. :(

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

melon cat posted:

I need a set of earbuds that are really great for jogging while listening to my MP3 player. The ones I have keep falling out of my ears since they're cheap and crappy. :(
You need a better fit and maybe a shirt clip
Are you using Apple style buds that just sit in your ear or the kind you shove in there?
You want in-ear monitors/canalphones.

Foam covers like these might stay in more.

Try wearing the cord over your ears instead of straight down.

I like most of the JVC HA-FX buds. The Riptidz/HA-FX8 are really cheap and should be in any well stocked pharmacy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

melon cat posted:

I have these. Although they were like 20 bucks when I got them (price is just because they were discontinued). But holy poo poo they were so much better than ear buds. Great for running; comfortable, out of the way, and you can sweat all over them. Surely there are versions that are similar somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHJ07...words=nike+aero

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

Agreed. It's anecdotal, but I once lost it on my lawn overnight while it was raining and it's still working. As long as you aren't using juice draining headphones and aren't deaf the battery can last quite a bit. My only complaint is that I've busted the clip on the last two I've bought.

Maybe this is just on the clipzip model, but mine picked up a virus from my computer and became all but unusable.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My 5 year old wolverine work boots are falling apart so I'm looking for good work boot recommendations. Requirements are steel or composite toe, ESD safe and something that will last a few years or daily use. I would like to stay under $200 because that's the limit work will reimburse but will go more if it makes a big enough difference.

NitroSpazzz has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Mar 10, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NitroSpazzz posted:

My 5 year old wolverine work boots are falling apart so I'm looking for good work boot recommendations. Requirements are steel or composite toe, ESD safe and something that will last a few years or daily use. I would like to stay under $200 because that's the limit work will reimburse but will go more if it makes a big enough difference.

Send them back to wolverine. They may charge you a bit to rebuild them but it's worth it, and they love seeing people who literally wore their shoes into the ground working all day in them. I've heard a few cases of them asking if they can keep your old pair in exchange for a new pair to study them or whatever.

Them and Allen Edmonds have awesome customer service and take footwear really seriously.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend a good interior surveillance camera for my car? I'm parking my car during working hours in an different area, and have had some vandalism issues. Something subtle, wireless, and with a wide viewing angle would be awesome.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Mar 12, 2013

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

melon cat posted:

Can anyone recommend a good interior surveillance camera for my car? I'm parking my car during working hours in an different area, and have had some vandalism issues. Something subtle, wireless, and with a wide viewing angle would be awesome.

I need something similar but not for a car. I'm having packages stolen from my lobby.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

melon cat posted:

I've been using various pairs of these JBL J2s for years and since they're always under $20 I never have to worry if I lose or break a pair; I typically get at least a year of use out of them before my cord-wrapping, pocket-stuffing ways catch up to me and I need a new pair. They come with several sizes of tip covers and I'd bet you could find a good fit, as long as your ear canals aren't giant or tiny.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
any recommendations for a >= 1 TB external HDD? I'd like something portable, and maybe a little "rugged"

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cosmin posted:

any recommendations for a >= 1 TB external HDD? I'd like something portable, and maybe a little "rugged"

I've had good luck with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Storage-Silver/dp/B007FQNLR6/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1363300091&sr=1-9

Edit: And these: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B005J7YA3W/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1363300091&sr=1-16

Question: What are some good, comfortable sheets? Specifically, I have a Full Mattress, and I'd like something in a muted green or brown. I don't know what decent sheets cost, but I'm willing to not cheap out on this.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I've had good luck with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Storage-Silver/dp/B007FQNLR6/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1363300091&sr=1-9

Edit: And these: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B005J7YA3W/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1363300091&sr=1-16

Question: What are some good, comfortable sheets? Specifically, I have a Full Mattress, and I'd like something in a muted green or brown. I don't know what decent sheets cost, but I'm willing to not cheap out on this.

I like http://www.linoto.com/Linen-Sheets-Set-Linoto-com-p/lst.htm.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Really anything from http://www.monoprice.com/

$2 6foot HDMI chords, 2-in-1 HDMI splitters for $8 and loads more cheap toys.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Can anyone recommend me a good case for a Sumsung Galaxy S3? I had just gotten mine replaced. Previously I had an Otterbox Commuter, and while I liked the ruggedness of that case, I felt like it kept interfering with my touchscreen. Anything slimmer would be a bonus.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I need a new pillow. I am a side sleeper and I can't get comfortable. I wake up and my neck hurts.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wampus42 posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good case for a Sumsung Galaxy S3? I had just gotten mine replaced. Previously I had an Otterbox Commuter, and while I liked the ruggedness of that case, I felt like it kept interfering with my touchscreen. Anything slimmer would be a bonus.

This is the one I'm using, no complaints yet.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Wampus42 posted:

Diztronic all the way. Rave reviews from anyone that uses them in both the iPhone and Android thread. I have the matte black one and it's great.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Recommendations for a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 case would also be appreciated!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Pigasus posted:

Recommendations for a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 case would also be appreciated!

Man, I look like the biggest shill but the site I linked above also has Note II cases. I bought one for my mum's OG Note.

If you don't like TPU cases (they are malleable but more protective than a "soft" case like silicone), the official Samsung flip covers are pretty nice, and in the bulkier end of the spectrum there's the Otterboxes.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
My mouse just decided to stop working so I'm looking for a new one. I'd prefer a lot of bang for my buck and I really don't need some awesome gaming mouse with a lot of unnecessary features I won't use anyway.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
Can anyone recommend an MP3 player that allows one to cut MP3s, preferably in the same application/window in which the MP3 playback occurs. Does something like that even exist? Or do I need something like an iPod? Bonus points if it's not huge

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

oscarthewilde posted:

My mouse just decided to stop working so I'm looking for a new one. I'd prefer a lot of bang for my buck and I really don't need some awesome gaming mouse with a lot of unnecessary features I won't use anyway.

MX Revolution

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

MX Revolution

Seconding this. Great mouse.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seconding this. Great mouse.

It might be very good', but unfortunately it's a bit above my price range. A couple of months ago I bought an absolutely great DasKeyboard so my budget for PC accessories is kinda running dry. Any good recommendation cheaper than 100 bucks?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

oscarthewilde posted:

It might be very good', but unfortunately it's a bit above my price range. A couple of months ago I bought an absolutely great DasKeyboard so my budget for PC accessories is kinda running dry. Any good recommendation cheaper than 100 bucks?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Optical-Gaming-High-Precision-910-002277/dp/B0055QZ216

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

oscarthewilde posted:

My brother bought me one of these Microsoft Wireless mice about a year ago. I've just changed the batteries for the first time and works for me from at least eight feet away from my computer. $15

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

oscarthewilde posted:

AULA Ogre Soul Professional.

Great mouse, Aula is a Chinese company that burst onto the western market recently, they have extremely good quality stuff for their prices (cheap!). They are pretty close in quality to any of the Razer mice I've owned (all of which have broke within a year) not quite as good, and not nearly as good as the Logitech G500 series. BUT they cost about a third to a fifth of what those mice cost and so at that price point they pretty much throttle the competition.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

I was going to suggest the MX518 as well but I dont know whats happened: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50/ :stare:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

oscarthewilde posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Performance-Mouse-Mac/dp/B002HWRJBM

Cheaper than $100.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I have a G400 and love it. Seconding this recommendation.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

My brother bought me one of these Microsoft Wireless mice about a year ago. I've just changed the batteries for the first time and works for me from at least eight feet away from my computer. $15

I use these for all my computers. If you don't need any fancy gaming buttons or whatever, this is a solid mouse and it's cheap.

E: I have a recommendation of my own. Chagrin Valley Soaps. All natural soaps made by a family in Ohio, and it's hands down the best soap I've ever used, and I consider it a (rather lame) hobby to try new soaps and lotions. They also have organic and vegan soaps, along with their normal soaps, and none of them have harsh ingredients like sulfates. You can order sample sizes of any of their soaps, I recommend grabbing a few samples and trying it out, your skin will thank you.

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/

LuckyCat has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Mar 18, 2013

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Jesus Christ, the Waterpick Flosser costs 130 USD in Germany, more than twice of its price in the US, gently caress european markups :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Thought I'd ask again for a pillow recommendation for a side sleeper.

Also, we had these terrible carpet stains in our new apartment (we did a lease transfer so the landlord didn't have it cleaned or replaced) and we used Resolve carpet cleaner. It was a miracle, all the stains are gone. Highly recommended. I think we used the "triple oxi clean" version or something.

• Locked thread