Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
There is one $125 spot (digital) left as of ... now. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

GetWellGamers posted:

Hmm... i wonder if they're not spreading their stretch goal tiers a little wide. Half a million a go i a *big* gap, and I remember with P:E there was a lot of excitement because every 100K brought, at the least, a new level in the endless dungeon, and then "major" additions were every 2-300K at most. Plus you could get levels from the facebook likes, and the overall effect was one of constant momentum-building because you'd get something new and exciting o a very frequent basis.

Obviously they're doing okay now, but I think it might hurt them in the middle stretch when people check for three or four days in a row, see they're still 250K from the next goal, and go "welp, they've plateaued, no reason to go any further..."
I'm guessing that Inxile was already more "all in" on making a pretty full game. Remember poor Obsidian wasnt even sure they would make their initial goal at all.

Heres the 3mill stretch:

quote:

More Legacies, Deeper and Richer Reactivity

We’ve told you a little about the Tides and Legacies already – they are a key component of three of our four pillars, and at $3M we’ll be expanding their impact, especially with respect to our fourth pillar: “Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences.” In the upcoming days and weeks, we’ll be elaborating more on the design of the Tides and the Legacy System, but for now I’d like to explain a bit more about how these two concepts relate to each other.

Given that Legacy is the primary theme of Torment, you can imagine that its effects will run deep. Your Legacy depends upon which of the five Tides you favor – as demonstrated through your actions and decisions within the game. At our target funding, we envisioned six Legacies: one for each Tide, and then a sixth for those who have no dominant Tide. Your Legacy (and the Tides) has a variety of impacts on both gameplay and on interactions in dialogue. For example, certain items will provide different abilities depending upon your Legacy, and your Legacy also affects what focus you master. Your Legacy might draw others to you, or make them wary of you. As your actions affect the Tides, you can choose to adopt a new Legacy and embrace your decisions or you can resist their pull – for a while, at least. Some NPCs and creatures will notice and react to the Tidal impact on your Legacy, with some reacting favorably and others... not so much.

Six Legacies yields a lot of potential for reactivity and choices and consequences. But at this Stretch Goal, we take the system much further. Instead of depending only upon one Tide, your Legacy will be based upon your strongest TWO. This increases the number of Legacies to 11 (ten possible pairs, plus an eleventh for when no two reign supreme). By almost doubling the number of Legacies, we unlock many more options for gameplay and opportunities for the world and its people to respond to your choices. Your Legacy can change throughout the game, and doubling the number of Legacies doesn’t double the gameplay time. But it does have a tremendous impact on how reactive and replayable Torment will be. That makes this game a deeper, richer experience and provides you with a host more options to consider and explore as you seek your answer to Torment’s core question. Naturally, this also means that we’ll be creating even more cool, unique items and effects that respond specifically to the paths you’ve chosen.

Cults

We love you all, but it is our responsibility to torment you; that’s why you’re here in the first place. When we reach this Stretch Goal, we will add Cults to bring a little nastiness to your life. Like factions (which we had planned as our initial funding level and will discuss more later), these groups have their own interests, loyalties, and goals. Unlike factions, cults are antagonistic, roving enemies who pick up and move as they will, as the winds blow them, or as rumors of powers, enemies, or wealth summon them. Are they all being manipulated by a shadowy enemy? They might be! They might be entirely disconnected!

Should any of these cults discover who you really are, they'll seek you in accordance with their own principles. But perhaps if you are clever enough, you can discover how to manipulate them to your advantage... and you might need to, if they all descend upon you at once. They will use you as a pawn against the others, and your goals may occasionally align with theirs, with quests and opportunities potentially opening as you interact with them. Make no mistake: they are inexorably opposed to you and your ilk. But if you are persistent, sly, and creative, you might find a way to turn their strengths into yours.

We’ll begin with the following two Cults:

The Children of the Endless Gate: Death worshippers, some call them. They prefer to think of themselves as spirits trapped in flesh, and the horror of their cage pushes them to atrocity. They call themselves liberators and agents of freedom, and when they hunt the slums of the cities they leave no evidence of their passing but a tracery in blood, an ever-wet gate to a realm of pure spirit... and horror.

The Order of Flagellants and Austerities: Once a hermetic and monkish offshoot of the Order of Truth, the so-called Scourges became a mendicant order and set out into the world with the appointment of a new leader a century ago. They are a missionary sect, devoted to cleansing the world of its many sins... among which are a reliance on the numenera, of using powers not rightfully granted with birth, and of pollution of the flesh with extravagances and constructs. A single Scourge alone is no threat, for they act only in communion with their brethren. But a group of them? They feed on the rage of their kin, borrowing strength of will and thew, and run berserk if they are not stopped, laying bare the bones of those who oppose them.

Companion #7

We’ll add another surprise companion, bringing the total to 7. You want blood? You’ve got it.

I hope they get this one. Expanding the Legacies and bringing in the Cults sounds great.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 9, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GetWellGamers posted:

Hmm... i wonder if they're not spreading their stretch goal tiers a little wide. Half a million a go i a *big* gap, and I remember with P:E there was a lot of excitement because every 100K brought, at the least, a new level in the endless dungeon, and then "major" additions were every 2-300K at most. Plus you could get levels from the facebook likes, and the overall effect was one of constant momentum-building because you'd get something new and exciting o a very frequent basis.

Obviously they're doing okay now, but I think it might hurt them in the middle stretch when people check for three or four days in a row, see they're still 250K from the next goal, and go "welp, they've plateaued, no reason to go any further..."
That is one thing I'm disliking. The tiers seem a bit thin and the stretch goals are a bit wide. The Obsidian one just seemed to have a better momentum.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Darkhold posted:

That is one thing I'm disliking. The tiers seem a bit thin and the stretch goals are a bit wide. The Obsidian one just seemed to have a better momentum.

From the post I gathered they plan on filling in the difference with smaller stretch goals, but they want to nail down the broad strokes first. Not sure if that's the best way of doing things but at the very least each stretch goal has had a lot of content.

I suppose the main problem doing it this way is that it doesn't quite convey the scale of what they've earned. With Project Eternity you had an extensive, winding map of goals, that made each increment feel like a significant milestone. This is just sketching out the amount Wasteland 2 made over it's entire funding period as if it's not even a big deal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Brother None, I know you guys can't be adding too many cooks in the kitchen before poo poo starts to just break down and become inefficient, so by doubling and possibly tripling your game content how much longer development time do you foresee this taking? Are you guys hiring other artists and stuff as well to faster add assets to the game?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking, but for starters, I guess, how dramatically different does the production of the game become and does anything become better visually as well?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

GetWellGamers posted:

I imagine that'll be the goal of the Castoff's Labyrinth, when we reach it. They describe it as an 'ongoing stretch goal'. Hopefully they'll provide more detail on what exactly that means when we hit 2.5 million. Something megadungeon-esque perhaps?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
As long as we're interrogating Brother None, I'd love to hear the emotional timeline of the first day, how long it took to go from "Here we go...:ohdear:" to "Hey, that's a nice initial response" to "Wow, look at it go!" to "Jesus, it's just not stopping" to "Holy gently caress, it hasn't slowed down!" to ":stare:..."

I can't imagine what it must be like to essentially say "Hey, we've got an idea" and get a million dollars in six hours.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I imagine it's like saying "Hey, we've got an idea", and then a man jumps out of the bushes with a giant pneumatic cannon shooting wads of money directly into your face. After you wake up, you are mildly concussed....but money!

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Darkhold posted:

I would also like to see a stretch goal every 300k or so. Especially now with funding slowing down it would more interesting if new strech goals were announced, and met, bit more often than every 500k. Also inXile are doing a bit poor job at communicating what exactly those strech goals mean. P:E stretch goals seemed more concrete and better explained.

One concrete suggestion to BN would be KS update telling us something about that Crystal Dimension that was part of the 1.5 million stretch goal, maybe I missed it but I don't think anything has been said about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There was, according to my memory, just one superior character build for PS:T - intelligent and wisdomy as all get out, right?

Are there still all those silly traits (str, int, wis, cha, pop, lok, drp) in Numenara and this game, or are the things that actually matter and provide content-gating the conversation choices/actions you make?

Will the color wheel of morality be numbers we invest in or will it develop behind the scenes as we act on the world from the quests and discussions that we'll encounter?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The Numenera site seems to suggest there won't be the typical dnd abilities but instead you choose a particular focus and some descriptors. It sounds interesting to me but I have no idea how well that would translate over to a videogame.

On the lack of smaller stretch goals I wouldn't see it as a problem until they get to 2.5M but I can understand why they aren't immediately out there. They had weeks to plan their initial outline and they probably anticipated getting a fair bit further than their goal. Then of course they get a record shattering amount in one day and suddenly all their preplanned goals are being used up asap. They've had three/four days so far to plan what else they'd like, I'd give them a bit of time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Overminty posted:

The Numenera site seems to suggest there won't be the typical dnd abilities but instead you choose a particular focus and some descriptors. It sounds interesting to me but I have no idea how well that would translate over to a videogame.

Thanks. Well, that doesn't seem very complicated at all, but it also seems really vague. You're right, I'd really like to see how inXile will integrate the character creation with their game.

It'd be kinda nice to not have your main seven stats in a game, for once.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Alright so the 3 million stretch goal sounds incredible and I desperately hope they reach it. I'm also reading more into the Numenera game itself and may actually buy into that as well.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Satanos posted:

Alright so the 3 million stretch goal sounds incredible and I desperately hope they reach it. I'm also reading more into the Numenera game itself and may actually buy into that as well.
I'd think at this point 3mil is the minimum this project gets. Though Torment may not have the same kind of broad appeal that Obsidian/Project Eternity seemed to enjoy the fans also seem more fanatical. It'll be interesting to see if it drops off (as the diehards are exhausted) or accelerates as more people get interested.

vvv Sorry I guess I should have been clearer. I do understand that the funding mostly happens at the beginning and the end but there was this feeling of accelerating interest with P:E. The pace was pretty brisk even during the lulls. I'm curious if this will be a huge burst of interest that just kinda plods along after the niche fans are burned out. Or if it will capture the more casual fans and keep things trucking along.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 9, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Darkhold posted:

I'd think at this point 3mil is the minimum this project gets. Though Torment may not have the same kind of broad appeal that Obsidian/Project Eternity seemed to enjoy the fans also seem more fanatical. It'll be interesting to see if it drops off (as the diehards are exhausted) or accelerates as more people get interested.

It's almost a universal rule that kickstarters start and end fast but slow in the middle, even with stretch goals. So basically both of those things are very likely going to happen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I love that George Ziets is a stretch goal. Now, Richard Garriott needs to have George Ziets be a stretch goal for his project. Every RPG gets Ziets!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I would be happy if George Ziets just randomly became a stretch goal on most popular kickstarters. Not even gaming ones, just in general. Like after the real list of stretch rewards they'll just add "George Ziets: I don't know, we'll call him up and ask him how he's doing, maybe buy him breakfast or something".

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I love that George Ziets is a stretch goal. Now, Richard Garriott needs to have George Ziets be a stretch goal for his project. Every RPG gets Ziets!
The secret is that Ziets is just a brand name now. You might as well get VC Andrews or Tom Clancy on the case.

vv heh edited my post to include Tom just before that post.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

George Ziets is the Tom Clancy of fantasy RPGs. Wait, no, I take it back. I'm sorry, George!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I agree they should start squishing the stretch goal ladder a bit. Every 300k sounds about right at this point.

Also, I still have no idea what Tides and Legacies are supposed to be. It sounds like Bioware's attempts at custom alignment systems, but fifty times clunkier.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Tides can probably be thought of, as you say, a replacement of the alignment system but I wonder what makes you think it will clunkier. The Legacy system information has been limited so far but they have promised to explain what they'll be mechanically later.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I just wanna say that Steve Dengler [@Dracogen] is one classy, awesome fellow and he should probably be allowed to the play the completed game before anybody else.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

Megazver posted:

I agree they should start squishing the stretch goal ladder a bit. Every 300k sounds about right at this point.

Nah, if they squished it people would want to know why their goals were so high in the first place. Also, I'm pretty sure they have an effective estimate for how much these features will cost them to develop -- and I certainly want them to stick to that estimate.

It'd be far more reasonable if they split these $500K milestones into individual bits and pieces, maybe at around $100K each. (Seventh novella at $2.1 million, sixth companion at $2.2, and so on.)

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
So how much money do you guys they will end up with? I'm thinking about 4.5 million myself(with 100k from both Fargo and Dengler) which should be enough to fund a pretty drat awesome game.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Great Rumbler posted:

I just wanna say that Steve Dengler [@Dracogen] is one classy, awesome fellow and he should probably be allowed to the play the completed game before anybody else.

The amount of money that guy has put into Kickstarters and independent game devs is pretty crazy; he seems to be funding half of what Double Fine has released recently, for example.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Lobst posted:

Nah, if they squished it people would want to know why their goals were so high in the first place. Also, I'm pretty sure they have an effective estimate for how much these features will cost them to develop -- and I certainly want them to stick to that estimate.

It'd be far more reasonable if they split these $500K milestones into individual bits and pieces, maybe at around $100K each. (Seventh novella at $2.1 million, sixth companion at $2.2, and so on.)
I think we're all suggesting this. Nobody thinks that they can just drop the entire goal by 100k or anything.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

It's the difference between a monthly bonus and an annual one. They might pay out the same, but that brief euphoric boost of "Hey! My bonus!" every month is like a motivational booster rocket.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Ok for reference here's the P:E stretch goals

Nice mini goals every 100k-200k to keep different people excited about it. They don't have 500k goals until after 3mil. Just something to keep the momentum going.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 9, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Although it's certainly a motivating factor, I wonder how sincere that kind of graduation really is.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Zilkin posted:

So how much money do you guys they will end up with? I'm thinking about 4.5 million myself(with 100k from both Fargo and Dengler) which should be enough to fund a pretty drat awesome game.

I think about 4.75 million without any paypal or Fargo/Dengler contribution.

Look at how they are doing compared to the other big projects. They will need to do that last week tons of content that Obsidian did for Project Eternity to get a lot of attention at the end, but they are getting pretty healthy funding.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

It'd be kinda nice to not have your main seven stats in a game, for once.

PnP Numenera just has three: Might, Speed, and Intellect. But they're also replenishable consumable resources that you use to make actions easier, so I doubt that will carry over to the game. It will be a very unique CRPG system if that system somehow does though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

Although it's certainly a motivating factor, I wonder how sincere that kind of graduation really is.

What isn't sincere about it? They reach that goal, they include that feature. I mean, we have no way of knowing if they would hold true to the feature list if the kickstarter had raised, say, only 1.9 million, but we have no reason to believe they would ignore their stretch goals either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

fermun posted:

I think about 4.75 million without any paypal or Fargo/Dengler contribution.

Look at how they are doing compared to the other big projects. They will need to do that last week tons of content that Obsidian did for Project Eternity to get a lot of attention at the end, but they are getting pretty healthy funding.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

With Kickstarter now an established business model and with how efficient the hype machines have become, I'd expect projects only to be more front-loaded going forward. I'm not saying Torment 2 won't surpass the previous projects (it's unlikely it'll fair worse than Wasteland at this point) but much of its spectacular early performance was due to the experience with those prior kickstarters, both from the developer's side and us the backers. And I think it might be more symptomatic of the crowdfunding mechanism becoming more efficient rather than it growing much. With that said, of course, no two kickstarters are the same, and Torment may simply prove to resonate with a larger audience.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Rinkles posted:

How so? As long as they they deliver what they promise on the levels they promise it I don't think anyone is too worried that Barbarian class equals exactly 50k to implement alongside another 50k for Cypher class.

Even if there's features they plan to have no matter what the funding but they include it in a stretch goal to motivate people once again I don't think anyone but the most entitled people would really care. Instead people would actually think them generous if they included features from the list who's goals weren't met.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

What isn't sincere about it? They reach that goal, they include that feature. I mean, we have no way of knowing if they would hold true to the feature list if the kickstarter had raised, say, only 1.9 million, but we have no reason to believe they would ignore their stretch goals either.

I'm questioning whether all the monetary brackets actually correlate to the associated costs of the features. They probably don't, because the project scales globally with extra funding, on top of the promised stretch goals -- and there's nothing wrong with that. I just have my doubts that some of the features wouldn't have made cut even if they weren't discretely sold as stretch goals, and were artificially withheld to act as an easily marketables carrot on a stick. If anything, like Basic Chunnel pointed out in one of the threads, being that granular with your design promises can be unhealthy because it denies the creative process its essential flexibility (or results in broken promises).

Darkhold posted:

How so? As long as they they deliver what they promise on the levels they promise it I don't think anyone is too worried that Barbarian class equals exactly 50k to implement alongside another 50k for Cypher class.

Even if there's features they plan to have no matter what the funding but they include it in a stretch goal to motivate people once again I don't think anyone but the most entitled people would really care. Instead people would actually think them generous if they included features from the list who's goals weren't met.

Is there anything wrong with considering the question though?

And please can we drop it with the accusations of gamer entitlement.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Rinkles posted:

Is there anything wrong with considering the question though?

And please can we drop it with the accusations of gamer entitlement.
Sorry if you thought I was accusing you of acting entitled that wasn't my intention. I'm saying nobody would throw a fit about it (which you're obviously not) unless they were just being ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with considering the question but 'sincerity' implies there is some kind of unsavoury manipulation on the developer's part where I see it as just a way to keep people active and interested.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I'm questioning whether all the monetary brackets actually correlate to the associated costs of the features. They probably don't, because the project scales globally with extra funding, on top of the promised stretch goals -- and there's nothing wrong with that. I just have my doubts that some of the features wouldn't have made cut even if they weren't discretely sold as stretch goals, and were artificially withheld to act as an easily marketables carrot on a stick. If anything, like Basic Chunnel pointed out in one of the threads, being that granular with your design promises can be unhealthy because it denies the creative process its essential flexibility (or results in broken promises).

Some producers on some teams know basically exactly what they can get out of their people in two weeks, so divide that much salary out of a hundred grand, and some producers- and they are worth their weight in gold- can confidently say "With an extra hundred grand I can get x much more content out of this team." It wouldn't surprise me if Obsidian's producers were that good (Hi Alvin!) that they knew exactly how much they could stretch the game given however much more time each 100-200K bought them. Maybe InXile's just different? Having worked at both I know they're both really competent, driven companies, but there's no denying there are different cultures at work as well.

Fintilgin posted:

I wonder why they're running the Kickstarter for a shorter time then any of the others?

For me I wondered the other way. A month is a nice round measurement of time- what I didn't get was 32 and 36 days and weird "Month and a bit" runs like that.

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 9, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wonder why they're running the Kickstarter for a shorter time then any of the others?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Darkhold posted:

Sorry if you thought I was accusing you of acting entitled that wasn't my intention. I'm saying nobody would throw a fit about it (which you're obviously not) unless they were just being ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with considering the question but 'sincerity' implies there is some kind of unsavoury manipulation on the developer's part where I see it as just a way to keep people active and interested.

Yeah I don't think unsavory is a word I'd use, but I am curious how exactly these things are planned out.

GetWellGamers posted:

Having worked at both I know they're both really competent, driven companies, but there's no denying there are different cultures at work as well.

That's pretty awesome to hear. You at either anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Saw this in the GAF Torment thread

Brother None posted:

Yes. We're combining a lot into single stretch goals right now, but we can work on the spacing and size once the Kickstarter starts slowing down.

If I'm understanding that right, it seems weird to me to cut up your goals after announcing them. Whatever works best, I guess.

Or was that only referring to future goals, past the 3 million?

• Locked thread