Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Breetai, if you'd like more agriculture check the SPAM, http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26080-simpeg-agricultural-mod-spam/

I downloaded it recently and it was a big mistake on my part to not have used it before.

benzine fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Question:

How does one clean out the crusty old mods from a previous mod pack?

I think presently I might have a combination of the two oldest mod packs so I wish to start over and delete everything.

Should I just delete the save folder or what?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

El Diabolico posted:

Question:

I think presently I might have a combination of the two oldest mod packs so I wish to start over and delete everything.

Should I just delete the save folder or what?

Delete everything in your documents/simcity4/plugins folder. You'll have to start cities from scratch, most likely.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Nalk posted:

Now, when playing my city which has reached a 600k+ pop. there seems to be a high chance of CTD every time I try to save my game. I'm using NAM 31 and the goon gigapack.

Is this probably an issue stemming from the mods or is there a known fix?

NAM 31 is a bit buggy and is probably causing the crashes. Try using NAM 30 for now.

El Diabolico posted:

Question:

You can just delete everything in the plugins folder, but older cities you made that use those old plugins will be missing buildings/textures/whatever else was deleted.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hm... I had the Network Addon Mod in the actual Program Files directory in Plugins. I deleted that and extracted the Old Fashioned pack into Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins and am just getting a black screen now instead of a game launch. :(

I'll move the pack out and try to launch and see if that's it.

edit: maybe it's the hardware mode? I'll try deleting the terrainmods dir next.

odiv fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 9, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
If I take the Original Gigapack and just replace its version of NAM with the most recent one (well, 30 anyway) will that work ok or is it likely to break everything? Are there any other included mods that desperately need updating?

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

odiv posted:

Hm... I had the Network Addon Mod in the actual Program Files directory in Plugins. I deleted that and extracted the Old Fashioned pack into Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins and am just getting a black screen now instead of a game launch. :(

I'll move the pack out and try to launch and see if that's it.

edit: maybe it's the hardware mode? I'll try deleting the terrainmods dir next.

Give it a minute or two. OldFashioned has 6700 files the game needs to load; the screen will be black while they're loading. It's annoying, I know!

I'm contemplating DATpacking the next version to prevent this, though people seem to enjoy the moddability. For the record, I'm going to release the next one when a new stable NAM release is out - with any luck, NAM 32.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

If I take the Original Gigapack and just replace its version of NAM with the most recent one (well, 30 anyway) will that work ok or is it likely to break everything? Are there any other included mods that desperately need updating?

If the NAM is its own separate package, it should be fine. There's a lot of old content in that gigapack, but none of it should be gamebreaking as far as I know. The CAM version is the same one that's out now, and it doesn't include any farm addons, so I don't believe there's anything else in there that actually affects core gameplay. You should be fine, but again, try it and let us know!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This may be a bit nitpicky but whenever I'm in overview mode, I get the regular blue grid background but when I select a piece of land , the background becomes pitch black. Is there something wrong the game (or the modpack) or the fact I'm using a ATI card?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
So yeah, I'm getting CTD every time I try to build a thing, sometimes I've managed to plop down a few buildings before a crash, but usually it's on the first building. This happens even on completely vanilla.

I've tried all the launch options I can find, and verified it's on one CPU. Tried setting all graphics to minimum and running the game in XP SP2 compatibility and admin mode. Any more ideas to try before I whine at Steam for refund?

I'm on 64 bit Win 7.

Samopsa posted:

Yup. Folder structure does not matter in the plugin folder, it just looks for the files in there.

No idea what's going on there :haw:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

*PUNCH* posted:

Give it a minute or two. OldFashioned has 6700 files the game needs to load; the screen will be black while they're loading. It's annoying, I know!

I'm contemplating DATpacking the next version to prevent this, though people seem to enjoy the moddability. For the record, I'm going to release the next one when a new stable NAM release is out - with any luck, NAM 32.
Wow, you weren't kidding. I waited it out and it loaded after a solid 4 minutes. At least I know what the issue is.

I can just go ahead and DATpack it myself, I'm guessing.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Hahaha which pack is that? I've got beef with SimGoober because he makes ugly stuff that's requisite for a lot of other stuff, but most of BSC is pretty allright (other than being gigantic neckbeards.)

You've tried rendering in software, right? You could also try using this: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher It looks like it gives you more options. Are you using an ATI card out of curiosity? Reading the notes for that launcher, I get the impression SC4 doesn't play nicely on them.

quote:

I can just go ahead and DATpack it myself, I'm guessing.

You absolutely can. There may be a few .png and .jpeg files in there to remove; the pack is still in beta, so the filing isn't as neat as it should be. Frankly, I'm not looking forward to doing it. The game will load faster the second or third time around, though.

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 9, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

*PUNCH* posted:

Hahaha which pack is that? I've got beef with SimGoober because he makes ugly stuff that's requisite for a lot of other stuff, but most of BSC is pretty allright (other than being gigantic neckbeards.)

You've tried rendering in software, right? You could also try using this: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher It looks like it gives you more options. Are you using an ATI card out of curiosity? Reading the notes for that launcher, I get the impression SC4 doesn't play nicely on them.

You absolutely can. There may be a few .png and .jpeg files in there to remove; the pack is still in beta, so the filing isn't as neat as it should be. Frankly, I'm not looking forward to doing it. The game will load faster the second or third time around, though.

It's my pack. I did that because I was up until 4 in the morning downloading all those dependencies, and they still had the gall to put "DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE" several times in each package. gently caress those guys.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

*PUNCH* posted:

Tried that launcher but no luck :saddowns:. The options were mainly same which I have already tried on the command line. I'm using Nvidia GTX 660 Ti so it's not an ATI issue.

That picture is from Killhour's spergpack.

e: ^ that guy

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

*PUNCH* posted:

If you don't feel like wrestling with the mapmaker, a generous goon has created rendered and hosted this map. It is compatible with the Old-Fashioned pack due to the trees; your mileage may vary with other packs. It is around 10x10 large tiles, and is very pretty:

http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/Fhuzo.zip

I could have sworn I saw someone mention it earlier, but now I can't seem to find it; can anyone tell me what the terrain mods are for this map?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm not completely sure whether I already posted these in the previous thread, but here goes:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

After some messing around I finally got it all working nicely, but because I'm playing in 1920x1080 on my TV, the UI is a bit small. It's still playable but I have to squint a bit to read some of the text because I'm laying on the couch about 7 or 8 feet away while playing. Is there anyway to make the UI or text bigger and still keep the high resolution?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I decided to try exactly replicating a real town in SimCity, mainly to see how well SimCity would actually work with a real place. I've seen a few people do real cities, but always at reduced scale.

A while ago I started trying to do the city I lived in, but it was just going to take forever and I'm not that persistent. I needed a small town and I chose Morrinsville, population 7,500:

Surprisingly enough I found a free download on the council's site for the actual zoning map:

Green = residential, pink = Commercial, yellow = industrial.

Then I grabbed the street map from Google Maps, rotated it to be straight, and put a grid over it in Photoshop at the right scale. I didn't put in the exact real terrain with the proper rivers etc, but I did to everything to exactly match the real-life positions. All schools, parks etc are in the right places.

So here's the finished town (best viewed at full size):

Traffic:

Pollution:

I works surprisingly well. I actually make a couple of grand a month from it and everyone's pretty happy. I did have to use a couple of mods:
- I'm using NAM on Low settings. Anything higher seems like cheating to me. But the main thing is that I needed to increase the commute times because the default max commute time in SimCity 4 is six minutes. With that setting, people in this small town think it's too far to commute half-way across town.
- I got another mod, cant remember what it's called exactly, but it just doubles the radius of effect for service buildings. Doesn't increase capacity so it's not really a cheat. But again, the default effect radius in SimCity is tiny. Even now, the hospital on the outskirts of town doesn't cover the whole town, and this is a place that takes under 5 minutes to drive right through in real life.

Some observations:
- Traffic is distributed roughly how it is in real life (the might be due to my choice of avenues and roads for the main roads though, and streets for the rest. People might be prioritising the high-capacity roads.
- The western side of the city is generally higher wealth than the west, again much like in real life, mostly because of its proximity to industry. In SimCity the industry is way denser and more polluting than it is in real life though.
- There's no power station in Morrinsville so I hid one at the edge of the map.
- Population is 20,000 whereas in real life it's 7,500. Not sure how that happened as the housing isn't much denser than real life
- There are actually some gaps where houses should be because the one thing SimCity couldn't handle at all is the amount of housing where it's a house behind another house, with a long driveway to the second one. Luckily I could mostly work around that. I know some of the low-wealth housing in SimCity is two houses behind each other, but those have a tiny plot of land each. I need to be able to place like four or five block deep residential.
- Demand is pretty good. R, C and I are all in positive demand with normal tax rates
- SimCity is convinced that this town is big enough to have a university

So basically, it worked well, but it also highlighted how small SimCity's city areas really are - I needed to use the biggest map size to fit it all in. Although, there's still a lot of free space on the map here. Probably about 2/3 of it would fit on a medium-size map.

Nition fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 9, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there a way to disable auto filling zones? I swear to god if I'm trying to place some residential zoning at a small size, and then the game randomly fills up like a 30 block radius I am going to kill myself.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm having the most annoying problem. I was having some performance issues after installing the Old-Fashioned Pack, so at the advice of MikeJF from this very thread, I switched to using Software rendering, since apparently Hardware rendering in game is terribly broken. Since switching, the game itself loads fine and I get to the region view as normal. But when I click on one of my cities, the loading screen appears (Reticulating Splines, etc) and eventually the game just crashes to desktop.

When I switch back to Hardware rendering, this crash doesn't happen. The game is still slow as hell but it doesn't crash.

Any ideas? I've tried both fullscreen at my native resolution and windowed at 1024x768, and it's still the same.

Peever
Nov 14, 2004

This shit's chess, it ain't checkers! Shit. They build jails 'cause of me.

Giggily posted:

Is there a way to disable auto filling zones? I swear to god if I'm trying to place some residential zoning at a small size, and then the game randomly fills up like a 30 block radius I am going to kill myself.

I think you have to hold "shift" to prevent additional zones/roads. I'm not aware of a way to disable auto filling completely.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I've got the old fashioned pack, so I assume recent transit improvement mods. What's the ideal way to use bus stops? Do you need them every block, every couple blocks, at the entrance to housing developments? How far will sims walk for them, I read six in vanilla, is that still true with NAM, etc.?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Giggily posted:

It does some kind of flood-fill if you click and hold, and don't move the mouse outside the square you clicked in. It's useful for filling in industrial and farm zones around diagonal roads, but otherwise not.

Holding Shift while zoning prevents automatic roads.
Holding Alt while zoning tries to match the lots to a different road (e.g. if you want your lots to point to the side street instead of the main street.)
Holding Ctrl while zoning makes a single huge lot, even if you have nothing that would ever fill it.

(Also more keyboard shortcuts: Q-W-E selects residential zoning tools, A-S-D selects commercial zoning tools, Z-X-C selects industrial zoning tools. V selects de-zone tool and B bulldozes. R and various combinations of Shift, Alt and Ctrl + R selects various road tools. I only discovered these a few months ago, but they make playing so much less painful.)

A question of my own:
I've been working on a region and am on an edge city right now. I (foolishly) built up a load of industrial and low density res/com before starting on the farmland I meant to have on the other half of the map. Now I have zero agricultural demand. Can I do anything besides bulldoze every building in the city?

(Also, Simtropolis seems down, overload from angry SC2013 buyers?)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 9, 2013

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Giggily posted:

If you mean auto-filling in zones with streets, then it's hold down Ctrl.

Ctrl = No roads OR plot divisions, one enormous plot of type x
Shift = No roads, normal plot divisions
Alt = Rotate roads and plot divisions

If you just want to place a tiny zone, then stop butter-fingering the controls you lout :allears:

Drone posted:

I'm having the most annoying problem. I was having some performance issues after installing the Old-Fashioned Pack, so at the advice of MikeJF from this very thread, I switched to using Software rendering, since apparently Hardware rendering in game is terribly broken. Since switching, the game itself loads fine and I get to the region view as normal. But when I click on one of my cities, the loading screen appears (Reticulating Splines, etc) and eventually the game just crashes to desktop.

When I switch back to Hardware rendering, this crash doesn't happen. The game is still slow as hell but it doesn't crash.

Any ideas? I've tried both fullscreen at my native resolution and windowed at 1024x768, and it's still the same.

Have you made sure you are running on only one core, at high CPU priority? If so, what are your system specs?

Fintilgin posted:

I've got the old fashioned pack, so I assume recent transit improvement mods. What's the ideal way to use bus stops? Do you need them every block, every couple blocks, at the entrance to housing developments? How far will sims walk for them, I read six in vanilla, is that still true with NAM, etc.?

Bus stops are perfectly situated by placing them exactly 6 tiles apart, like so:

xxBxxxxxxBxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxBxxxxxxBxx

That said, you need to be super :spergin: to place them perfectly like that, it's usually fine to keep them separated by 5-7 tiles.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

nielsm posted:

It does some kind of flood-fill if you click and hold, and don't move the mouse outside the square you clicked in. It's useful for filling in industrial and farm zones around diagonal roads, but otherwise not.

Holding Shift while zoning prevents automatic roads.
Holding Alt while zoning tries to match the lots to a different road (e.g. if you want your lots to point to the side street instead of the main street.)
Holding Ctrl while zoning makes a single huge lot, even if you have nothing that would ever fill it.

A question of my own:
I've been working on a region and am on an edge city right now. I (foolishly) built up a load of industrial and low density res/com before starting on the farmland I meant to have on the other half of the map. Now I have zero agricultural demand. Can I do anything besides bulldoze every building in the city?

(Also, Simtropolis seems down, overload from angry SC2013 buyers?)

Just build farms in the next region. You can 'fix' it by building 'cheat' buildings, search the mods sites for demand increasing buildings.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Just build farms in the next region. You can 'fix' it by building 'cheat' buildings, search the mods sites for demand increasing buildings.

Well then it won't match up with the neighboring city to the right :spergin:

I'll do a save, then try bulldozing everything and see what happens.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Well, Ag-I demand is really only available on undeveloped cities. No schools, hospitals, etc. So you pretty much have to raze the entire city to get farms back up. They also stop growing after a certain amount of citizens live in your town. Finally, they hate air pollution, but create absolutely insane amounts of water pollution. My advice remains the same: go build farms in the next region.

Peever
Nov 14, 2004

This shit's chess, it ain't checkers! Shit. They build jails 'cause of me.
After extracting the Old Fashion pack into the plugin folder do I need to manually install NAM or any other extras or does it do that automatically?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Drone posted:

*PUNCH* posted:

One thing you should know about this pack: the very beautiful HD terrain mods unfortunately require the game to be run in hardware mode; if hardware mode gives you trouble, delete the folder “terrainmods” and it should run in software with little trouble.

Looks like delete that folder and you are good to go (sans the sweet HD terrain).

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

nielsm posted:

A question of my own:
I've been working on a region and am on an edge city right now. I (foolishly) built up a load of industrial and low density res/com before starting on the farmland I meant to have on the other half of the map. Now I have zero agricultural demand.

Download SPAM, it maintains the possibility to keep the agricultural demand and improves the farming part of the game.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Drone posted:

Because the terrain mods are HD (greater resolution than the base game technically supports,) they are unfortunately incompatible with software mode. Delete the terrainmods folder and you should be good to go.

I am mad about this, but sadly there's very little I can do. The next best set are probably the Meadowwood or Columbus terrain mods, which can be found on the LEX. The original goon pack uses them, and they are also very pretty.

quote:

Bus stop stuff

NAM greatly increases the distance pedestrians are willing to walk. I usually place them ever other block and my sims ride the bus just fine. Keep in mind that wealthy sims are scared of the bus and less likely to take it.

quote:

Farming in an already-built city

Buildings in the standard and CAM demand model actually reduce the cap for farming demand. What this means is that even though farming is probably in high demand, having a lot of buildings artificially prevents farms from growing. The fortunate part is, actual demand (which you can't see) is most likely quite high. In the rewards menu you'll find a building called the "Census Repository Facility" which, to counter this, artificially raises the demand cap by 30,000. This stacks. Plop down a handful of them and it should allow the farms to grow.

Do keep in mind, though: farms are allergic to pollution and traffic. Given the screenshot, you'll probably want to make a green belt of trees between those farm zones and the highway. There are also two buildings in the parks section which will clean the air and drastically reduce pollution, though they have a pretty high monthly cost.

edit: someone snuck a post in on me. OldFashioned comes with SPAM, but because CAM is loading last it's overwriting the SPAM demand model. Since SPAM is farming-specific, I'll fool around with the load order a little tonight and see what happens. This is something that's been frustrating for me too; while I'm willing to deal with it in my own cities, I'd like to get it right for everyone else. If you want to fool around, SC4 loads plugins alphabetically. Rename the SPAM folder to something like ZZZZZ_SPAM and try your luck. As of this post, I have no idea what will happen.

quote:

Do I need to manually install NAM?

Old Fashioned comes with NAM 30. Enjoy!

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 9, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

*PUNCH* posted:

Buildings in the standard and CAM demand model actually reduce the cap for farming demand. What this means is that even though farming is probably in high demand, having a lot of buildings artificially prevents farms from growing. The fortunate part is, actual demand (which you can't see) is most likely quite high. In the rewards menu you'll find a building called the "Census Repository Facility" which, to counter this, artificially raises the demand cap by 30,000. This stacks. Plop down a handful of them and it should allow the farms to grow.

Do keep in mind, though: farms are allergic to pollution and traffic. Given the screenshot, you'll probably want to make a green belt of trees between those farm zones and the highway. There are also two buildings in the parks section which will clean the air and drastically reduce pollution, though they have a pretty high monthly cost.

Well, I went with the bulldozer anyway, and it worked quite well.

It cost about §300k but the city redeveloped before funds ran entirely dry :)

Also, I don't have any of those buildings you're talking about; I've been collecting my own mods but never delved very deep into it. (I don't have CAM or SPAM, in particular.)

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
SPAM really is a great addon, just downloaded it and I'm very pleased with it.

With a new thread comes a new region, I present Eaton:

Still growing and a lot of stuff to build.

Now some beauty shots:

Vanilla SC doesn't have gas stations, but now it does.

I really like the buildings in the game like the Maxis theatre, or the row houses :3:

But not the trains.

Part of the downtown.

And from the old region:

benzine fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2013

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
One thing that always bugs me is how all the industry is composed of smog-belching factories. Most urban industrial areas don't look like that anymore. Is there any way to make it look more like urban warehouses like this?:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've been meaning to make a replica of my town in this game, but my current plugin set is a Japanese one. I recall some years ago there was a program that allowed you to use different plugins for different regions, does anyone know if it works properly now? Last time I used it, it hosed up my region and I had to start over.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I got some errors unpacking the OP's pack. Normal?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Daysvala posted:

Have you made sure you are running on only one core, at high CPU priority? If so, what are your system specs?

Yep, it's running on only one core with high priority, and I checked the affinity in Task Manager just to be sure. I never had this problem with just the vanilla game + NAM, so it's gotta be something with one of the other mods in the pack.

Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2.26 Ghz
4GB RAM
GeForce 9400M
Windows Vista 32bit (cringe)

*PUNCH* posted:

Because the terrain mods are HD (greater resolution than the base game technically supports,) they are unfortunately incompatible with software mode. Delete the terrainmods folder and you should be good to go.

Ah, awesome. I can actually live with it running in hardware mode, but if it gets too old I'll switch to one of those other terrain mods. Thanks for the info!

Drone fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 9, 2013

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Drone posted:

Yep, it's running on only one core with high priority, and I checked the affinity in Task Manager just to be sure. I never had this problem with just the vanilla game + NAM, so it's gotta be something with one of the other mods in the pack.

Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2.26 Ghz
4GB RAM
GeForce 9400M
Windows Vista 32bit (cringe)

If running in hardware mode and/or deleting your terrain mods doesn't work, you can always try using nothing but Vanilla + NAM and see if that fixes the problem. Also, this doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but you should probably get a better operating system :shepface:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So I did this wall, and it took me I don't even know how long. Are plopable sea walls really just incredibly time consuming or am I incompetent?

Also it's kind of crazy that a 10 year old game can look this good with little to no real effort on my part to doll it up.

aethyr
Mar 2, 2013
*PUNCH*, you might want to make a note about the Double Workforce Bugfix for CAM, it requires replacing a file in the installation directory of SC4:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=14574.0

Also, personal preference, but I would prefer to be able to download a non-datpacked version, it will make it easier to replace/update any plugins that are in your release (which I really enjoy, thanks!).

aethyr fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Finally got around to acquiring a modpack, that plus spam has spawned this little bit of farmland.

Ten years on and I remain as uncreative as I was when I first bought this.

• Locked thread