Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
It works in Civ because you seldom have reason to communicate with others. Even then, when you're constantly being bombarded by requests it gets annoying. I've started wars with other civs because of how often they request military access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It works in Civ because you seldom have reason to communicate with others. Even then, when you're constantly being bombarded by requests it gets annoying. I've started wars with other civs because of how often they request military access.

That's why it should be very rare for some special events that do not occur every minute. But the games are fine as they are.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Torabi posted:

Is there any Paradox game that features the Persian Empire? As in, the big Empire we had ages ago and not the mess we have now.

EU: Rome would, wouldn't it? I remember there being a lot of complaints in Wiz's Crete LP about the Sassanids.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I'll setup a MotE MP games at 9PM CET (8PM GMT, 2PM CST) if goons show up.

If some kind goon would like to setup a paradox goons steam group here, that would be much appreciated.

e: not enough goons showed up. Maybe tomorrow

mmtt fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 9, 2013

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

mmtt posted:

I'll setup a MotE MP games at 9PM CET (8PM GMT, 2PM CST) if goons show up.

If some kind goon would like to setup a paradox goons steam group here, that would be much appreciated.

Steam Group Ahoy.

Gorgo add this to OP thx.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 9, 2013

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

PleasingFungus posted:

EU: Rome would, wouldn't it? I remember there being a lot of complaints in Wiz's Crete LP about the Sassanids.

For almost all their history the Sassanids only held territory a little bit bigger than modern Iran. They only really expanded in force during a brief period where they exploited a Byzantine civil war, and their gains were taken back completely a few years after the civil war ended (and then they were almost immediately gobbled up by the Caliphate).

If you wanted to go back to a really big Persia, you'd need to go all the way back to the Achaemenids, and that's several hundred years before even EU:Rome

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 9, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Torabi posted:

Is there any Paradox game that features the Persian Empire? As in, the big Empire we had ages ago and not the mess we have now.

Also am I the only one who wants more voice acting in Paradox games? Not a whole lot like in rts games but a bit when units move around or you interact with nations. Sort of like Civ V in the diplomacy screen.
I guess voice actors cost too much, good ones at least.

Why on earth would you want to port the most annoying feature of Civ V to a game that would have a lower VA budget and thus would probably do it even worse?

e: I guess it's really just the leader splash screens that are particularly obnoxious, units talking and poo poo is fine. But given how bad some of the non-voice acted sound effects in paradox games have been, and how often they gently caress up even simple pieces of written text, I still think nothing good could come of adding voice acting to the mix.

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 9, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Seriously, professional voice acting is usually one of the most expensive parts of a game's budget. And you do not want non-professional Swedes doing the voices of a game that spans the entire world.

As far as Persia goes, load up Vicky 2 and make them an empire. Persepolis reborn.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Why on earth would you want to port the most annoying feature of Civ V to a game that would have a lower VA budget and thus would probably do it even worse?

e: I guess it's really just the leader splash screens that are particularly obnoxious, units talking and poo poo is fine. But given how bad some of the non-voice acted sound effects in paradox games have been, and how often they gently caress up even simple pieces of written text, I still think nothing good could come of adding voice acting to the mix.

I liked it in Civ V because it is nice to hear various languages but not even the devs behind Civ bothered to add more than a few voice lines. So I suppose it is for the better that we do not have voice acting.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Seriously, professional voice acting is usually one of the most expensive parts of a game's budget. And you do not want non-professional Swedes doing the voices of a game that spans the entire world.

As far as Persia goes, load up Vicky 2 and make them an empire. Persepolis reborn.

I shall restore Iran's honor. :black101:

I should probably get better at HOI3 and CK2 before I buy more Paradox games though.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Each game has its own flavor. Vicky 2's next expansion is getting close, and you should be able to find a key for EU3 Complete Chronicles without much trouble since Paradox gave away a copy to every forum member not long ago.

*e*
gently caress, all this time and I still use the wrong name. Paradox! :argh:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It would be cute to have units speak in their native languages, like CIV, but not really worth the time and money. Especially when YOUR GLORIOUS PEOPLE'S language is merged with YOUR TRADITIONAL ENEMIES language (i.e. the country next door) because they can't record hundreds of different languages.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Torabi posted:

I liked it in Civ V because it is nice to hear various languages but not even the devs behind Civ bothered to add more than a few voice lines. So I suppose it is for the better that we do not have voice acting.

It's worth noting that in Civ 5, a lot of the voice actors were pretty flat and had oddly-constructed lines anyhow.

Edit: That is, the voice actors sounded like robots and were using scripts that were apparently a near-direct translation of some English phrase.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 9, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

It would be cute to have units speak in their native languages, like CIV, but not really worth the time and money. Especially when YOUR GLORIOUS PEOPLE'S language is merged with YOUR TRADITIONAL ENEMIES language (i.e. the country next door) because they can't record hundreds of different languages.
Just imagine the hundreds of threads on proper Balkan dialect at the Paradox forums!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

James The 1st posted:

Just imagine the hundreds of threads on proper Balkan dialect at the Paradox forums!
And the amateur voice-acting mods! :gonk:

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Torabi posted:

Also am I the only one who wants more voice acting in Paradox games? Not a whole lot like in rts games but a bit when units move around or you interact with nations. Sort of like Civ V in the diplomacy screen.
I guess voice actors cost too much, good ones at least.

You might be able to grab a Zoroastrian Persian character in ck2 and restore the Sassanids...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Having an announcer proclaim the building of a "factroy" would be magical :allears:

VVVV Come to think of it, the perfect guy to do this would be the Sean Connery-sounding fellow that did the VA for Majesty, "Your highness, our province is under siege!". It's even a Paradox-published series!

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 9, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think it would be kind of silly. I get enough things like "Our town is under seige!" "Yes Milord!" from games like Warcraft or Command and Conquer, I don't need every single army in my 200K manpower empire saying that every time I order them around!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I think it would be kind of silly. I get enough things like "Our town is under seige!" "Yes Milord!" from games like Warcraft or Command and Conquer, I don't need every single army in my 200K manpower empire saying that every time I order them around!

Especially prior to the invention of radio. What are they doing, praying to the immortal God-King? This game takes place on some loving huge maps, and you're ostensibly playing your country's head of state, so I sincerely doubt you'd ever go out and personally give orders to every minor military formation in the country.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I've drug Byzantium out of the gutter and expanded decently. However, I feel like I'm hosed because I cannot get an edge over the Western nations. Being so far from the Iberia region makes it impossible to colonize America so I lost that race badly. Castille has already dominated almost 80% of Africa's coast and is extremely powerful. Where do I go? East to China and Japan? Also what units should I be using? I see Muslim Musketmen far reaches of my Empire but my capital builds Pikemen. Should I be using technology from the Muslim group or are they just naturally weaker than the Eastern which are weaker than the Western?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

YouTuber posted:

I've drug Byzantium out of the gutter and expanded decently. However, I feel like I'm hosed because I cannot get an edge over the Western nations. Being so far from the Iberia region makes it impossible to colonize America so I lost that race badly. Castille has already dominated almost 80% of Africa's coast and is extremely powerful. Where do I go? East to China and Japan? Also what units should I be using? I see Muslim Musketmen far reaches of my Empire but my capital builds Pikemen. Should I be using technology from the Muslim group or are they just naturally weaker than the Eastern which are weaker than the Western?

The Muslim tech group progresses more slowly than the Eastern group, but it has a head start & tends to have control of significantly more territory.

...in your case, though, with you having taken half the middle east & Castille taking North Africa, the muslim tech group is probably quite small!

Westernization would be ideal, but that requires good sliders & a great emperor. (Looks like you've got a slider move waiting. You've been making those moves every 10 years, right?) Aside from that, maybe try to start moving toward India?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
If you don't claim the Golden Horde, Novgorod will.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Beautify your borders in Arabia, which is to say release everything south of Kuwait ASAP. After that, go to town on the Balkans I guess (especially that OPM in western Thrace), unless there's cascading alliances. Cyprus is also not yours, for some reason. If all else fails, see if you can't catch an Italian state with their pants down. It's me, I'm the insufferable Byzantine fanboy. :negative:

Also, what the hell is Austria even doing in that screenshot.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I played a Jerusalem game recently in MiscMods and was in the exact same position. Your expansion options are pretty clear: Wealthy provinces to your East. If you push far enough you'll reach India and the fact that they won't be colonies means they'll be worth a fuckton of ducats. You're clearly strong enough to swallow smaller Eastern European states. Hedjaz is an easy target to the South. First I'd link up your Middle Eastern possessions (what's that blue thing between them?). Plus Westernise. You need to Westernise. You're too near to Spain/Austria to risk it.

Also, don't learn it the hard way, kill Russia before it gets powerful. You can vassalise Georgia and create a buffer zone but I'd go further and attack while the Golden Horde is weak (and still exists). In my game I basically carved a long strip of provinces from Yemen to Yaroslav. Russia is a loving nightmare to invade so you don't want it to form. Everybody else can wait, really.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you really want colonies you can always just steal them from another nation in a war. Its how I was able to make an Ottoman new world once.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
India's always an option.
More importantly though, it looks like France has been kicking Castille around a bit. Wait for them to get embroiled in a nasty war and then snag Egypt. No self respecting Eastern Roman Empire should be without Alexandria.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I say shoot for the East Indies. If you want to colonize anything as Byzantium, they're your best bet, and they offer a heck of a lot more income than Africa.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

YouTuber posted:

The Persian coast and India are very wealthy, and well worth taking. Make sure you fully Westernize, including Modernizing your military, and then only build troops in provinces you have a core on (so they are built with the best troops you can use).

You'll probably find it easier to push east first, before pushing west into Castille. If you're still using antiquated troop types versus them you'll have a lot of casualties, so use the time honored human wave tactic and drown them in the corpses of your armies.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

You're getting the Sassanids mixed up with the Seleucids, who were in Rome and who weren't a proper "Persian" Empire because they were run by a Macedonian elite and were a full successor state of Alexander. The real-life Seleucids at their height were pretty gigantic, owning most of Anatolia, Mesopotamia, Syria/Palestine and big chunks of Persia, but said height was a relatively short period of time (a few decades after obtaining Palestine, they promptly lost it to the Hasmonean Kingdom of Judea, most of Anatolia was lost to Hellenistic states like Pontus and then to Rome, and Persia and Mesopotamia went with Parthians). The Parthians, who gobbled up most of the Seleucid land both in real life and in Wiz's LP, were a real Persian Empire.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YouTuber posted:

If you build units from a different tech group (which you're able to do from provinces that have cores of that tech group), they won't be auto-upgraded when you research better units for your own tech group. Muslim Musketeers are unequivocally better than Pike Infantry, but you'll get better soldiers of your own tech group at Land 18. Of course your best bet is to westernize, because at your tech level, the Latin nations already have considerably more powerful units than you, in addition to their tech lead.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

gradenko_2000 posted:

Having an announcer proclaim the building of a "factroy" would be magical :allears:

VVVV Come to think of it, the perfect guy to do this would be the Sean Connery-sounding fellow that did the VA for Majesty, "Your highness, our province is under siege!". It's even a Paradox-published series!

WotR just got/or is getting a Brian Blessed voiced DLC, we should have had him record a few more lines. Having him bellow "WE HAVE BUILT A RAILWAY" at you as each province upgrades would have been magical. Missed opportunities :(

Edit: Or "PRICES DIIIIIIIIIVVE!" when the price of one of your top 5 produced goods drop.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 10, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Voice idea: change the coin jingle sound effect for when the month ticks over to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

WotR just got/or is getting a Brian Blessed voiced DLC, we should have had him record a few more lines. Having him bellow "WE HAVE BUILT A RAILWAY" at you as each province upgrades would have been magical. Missed opportunities :(

Edit: Or "PRICES DIIIIIIIIIVVE!" when the price of one of your top 5 produced goods drop.

I misread and thought you were actually doing this and i nearly loving died. In a good way.

eu4 is not up for preorder yet is it? Like you can always regret picking up a game before launch but i'm ridiculously excited also i ended up buying ck2 like 3 weeks after launch, i think i could have saved a dollar preordering.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I would pay so much money for this

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As vicky 2 progresses, replace the new newspapers with radio broadcasts.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Kersch posted:

Voice idea: change the coin jingle sound effect for when the month ticks over to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

Might I suggest this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sor9GzivGbk&t=105s

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

And you do not want non-professional Swedes doing the voices of a game that spans the entire world.

Oh, but I do. :getin:

Darkrenown posted:

W-well, V2 has enough leeway for a third expansion... right?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

a bad enough dude posted:

You might be able to grab a Zoroastrian Persian character in ck2 and restore the Sassanids...

Last time I checked I couldn't make myself a Zoroastrian character with the king maker dlc thing. The option was grayed out.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'd pay cash dollars for a small Spirit of St Louis DLC for V2 that improves planes and allows flying over sea provinces and paratroopers. That's pretty much the only thing keeping the game's timeline from being extended indefinitely.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Torabi posted:

Last time I checked I couldn't make myself a Zoroastrian character with the king maker dlc thing. The option was grayed out.

You will be able to in the Old Gods DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kersch posted:

Yes please.
I think I'm adding this to my game.

• Locked thread