Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just picked up my XL. Quick question before I start the system transfer: Is the bottom part supposed to easily pry off? It's still screwed in, but I can kinda pry it no problem. Is everyone's like this?

Mine is like that. In fact, I posted in this very thread asking what the gently caress was wrong with my XL when it turns out that that's just how they are built. Just handle with care, don't put any peanut butter in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just picked up my XL. Quick question before I start the system transfer: Is the bottom part supposed to easily pry off? It's still screwed in, but I can kinda pry it no problem. Is everyone's like this?

It's how you replace the battery.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phew. That puts me at ease then. Time to start the transfer process.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

That actually looks like a fun thing to have on your iphone for like 5 bucks.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

And cheaper? What the eff.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Hey look a new page I'm a genius!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "bottom part"

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cromlech posted:

Since the shop is uh.. Kinda poorly organized

The category system really is bizarre. You've got categories with names like "Kaboom!" and "For a rainy day". I can't find it but one article suggested one might be "Watch out Santa, beekeepers won't like this on a Saturday!"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really love that the absolutely insane categories are rotated in and out on a "gently caress knows" basis, so you can never easily find the same game twice. Nintendo!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know about the NA eShop but the PAL one has a bunch of straightforward categories on the bottom row - "Virtual Console", "Download Exclusives", etc - so you don't need to look at all those weird bullshit categories at all.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know about the NA eShop but the PAL one has a bunch of straightforward categories on the bottom row - "Virtual Console", "Download Exclusives", etc - so you don't need to look at all those weird bullshit categories at all.

The NA eShop has that as well, although I never understood why they didn't put the Demos category down there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The PAL store had a "Demos" category, too, or at least it does for some of the time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The PAL store had a "Demos" category, too, or at least it does for some of the time.

The NA eShop has also had a Demos category on the main row for weeks, actually.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Other than not having the case, is there any difference between a digital copy of Fire Emblem and the cartridge? How does redownloading the game work?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Other than not having the case, is there any difference between a digital copy of Fire Emblem and the cartridge? How does redownloading the game work?

You can only redownload the game on the system you originally purchased it on OR a system that has the data from the purchasing system transferred onto it. The only difference between the physical and digital copies is that physical gets you the box, instruction poster and cartridge.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

robot roll call posted:

I bought an XL today thanks to tax returns. It makes my launch 3DS look like cheap garbage. Yes, buy the XL.

I feel the same way. I had actually been considering selling my 3DS because I bought one the day it launched and after two years I've barely touched the drat thing. I'd occasionally buy a game for it, play it for about an hour, then put it away for another few months. But after playing a demo unit of the XL at a store, I realized the reason why I couldn't stand playing the regular 3DS long-term was because the screen was way, way too small. I was squinting and it was giving me headaches. So I bought an XL earlier this week and I can't put the thing down, it's just so much better.

Yes, buy the XL.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I love SRPG/JRPGs in general and I'm kinda on the fence about a 3DS. Other than Fire Emblem is there stuff on the horizon? I looked at an upcoming games list but didn't see much there in the way of JRPGs. I want to pick one up but not just for one game, I'm not into platformers or etc too much.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Gunslinger posted:

I love SRPG/JRPGs in general and I'm kinda on the fence about a 3DS. Other than Fire Emblem is there stuff on the horizon? I looked at an upcoming games list but didn't see much there in the way of JRPGs. I want to pick one up but not just for one game, I'm not into platformers or etc too much.

How do you feel about Etrian Odyssey? Outside of combat it's more like a WRPG-style first-person dungeon crawl than a JRPG, but combat is JRPG all the way. The latest EO game for the 3DS has been very well received.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

The Gunslinger posted:

Well, for JRPGs there's also Tales of the Abyss, Etrian Odyssey 4, and some stuff on the e-shop I think. For SRPGs, you have Ghost Recon Shadow Wars as well. The 3DS library isn't exactly robust, but it's growing. Pokemon comes out later this year too.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Atlus is your friend. Right now: etrian odyssey 4, devil survivor overclocked. Coming soon: devil summoner soul hackers and shin megami tensei 4.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
Project X Zone is a crossover SRPG coming out in the future. And Squeenix's Bravely Default Flying Fairy is probably coming over sometime as well considering their twitter and the buzz on the net. If you like Vagrant Story the dude behind that game made a small downloadable tabletop style RPG as well thats pretty fun if you're also into old school D&D.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's also that upcoming Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei crossover on the horizon. As a big fan of SRPGs, I'm sitting pretty right now with Devil Survivor Overclocked, Fire Emblem, and Ghost Recon. Those three games have a ton of content and hours of gameplay between them. Plus, there are a bunch on the horizon like we've mentioned. The 3DS is already better off than the original DS.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Haraksha posted:

There's also that upcoming Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei crossover on the horizon.

That's for Wii U, actually.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Gunslinger posted:

RPGs that are definitely coming: SMT Soul Hackers, SMT4, Project X Zone, Mario & Luigi 4, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Rune Factory 4, Pokemon X/Y

RPGs that are out/announced in Japan that should hopefully get an international release: Dragon Quest 7 3D, DQ Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D, Bravery Default, Fantasy Life, whatever else I'm forgetting

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Artix posted:

That's for Wii U, actually.

Oh well that's heartbreaking. I just assumed that since the main series games are on the 3DS, the crossover would be too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stravinsky posted:

Atlus is your friend. Right now: etrian odyssey 4, devil survivor overclocked. Coming soon: devil summoner soul hackers and shin megami tensei 4.

There's also a 3DS port of Devil Survivor 2 in the works with the subtitle Break Code.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Stravinsky posted:

If SMT4 is even as fun as Strange Journey, I'll be pretty thrilled. If it approaches Nocturne, that'd just be incredible. I'm so glad it's coming out for 3DS and not the Vita or a console.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Chinook posted:

If SMT4 is even as fun as Strange Journey, I'll be pretty thrilled. If it approaches Nocturne, that'd just be incredible. I'm so glad it's coming out for 3DS and not the Vita or a console.

SMT games are really better played on portable. The time you devote to them, it's just easier to have it on a handheld.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

And yeah, do not discount Mystery Dungeon if pokemon isn't your thing. Its a spin off where you are controlling pokemon through a rouglike and is actually pretty well made.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I really dislike the SMT games in general but the rest of that stuff sounds good. I'll pick one up, thanks guys.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I like the idea of Fire Emblem and I will continue to support it, but I cant bring myself to get into it.. I am almost to the point that I am going to delete it from my XL and just feel good that I have supported the developers. It just seems so slow and a min/maxer dream.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

loudog999 posted:

I like the idea of Fire Emblem and I will continue to support it, but I cant bring myself to get into it.. I am almost to the point that I am going to delete it from my XL and just feel good that I have supported the developers. It just seems so slow and a min/maxer dream.

There's the easy solution of not griding and/or not reclassing.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man. I really, really hope there will be some text speed settings on the full version of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. So slow!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

loudog999 posted:

1) You can turn off/speed up most animations in the settings, look into that. The battle scene is slow as shiiit unless you hold down A to speed it up

2) If you're thinking min-maxer based on the thread, those people are playing it on the insane super-hard difficulties. I beat it on normal and had never seen a game over, although I did restart a couple of times because a character died. If I was playing on the mode with no permadeath I would have gone the entire game without restarting or getting a game over, it's really not hard at all in that sense. This was without grinding for broken abilities or making super-units (I actually let a couple of those die) and for the most part I just leveled guys and then promoted them when they were maxed out and paired up people based on their personalities

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fire Emblem is the exact opposite of min/maxing up until this game. The previous 12 or so games were just leveling enough for the next story because there was no such thing as unlimited levels barring arenas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Fire Emblem is the exact opposite of min/maxing up until this game. The previous 12 or so games were just leveling enough for the next story because there was no such thing as unlimited levels barring arenas.

It's not even this game. The hardcore minmaxing is either the super-hard difficulty level or in preparation for unreleased DLC. You can pretty trivially go through the game on Normal without the slightest minmaxing.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
To add to that, you don't even need min-maxing per se on the hardest difficulty of the game. Only that DLC. I mean, you need it, but it's of a very different sort than grinding out levels, and you can very well beat it without grinding at all.

Come to think of it, previous Fire Emblems are perfectly beatable even with 0 growths, so yeah, the concept of min-maxing is quite new to the series.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just hit start and skip all the battle animations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

But there's a fast forward button and it's very useful :(

vvv: Well if you're going that far why not just turn them off entitely in the options?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
But I don't need to see the battle animations a million times on fast forward.

• Locked thread