Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.
BrotherNone, how has the fund raising success of games like project eternity, waste land 2, and shadowrun affected publisher's role w/ companies like In-xile. Is there more interest now in their projects and products, along with a more equitable relationship? Or has the status quo remained unchange and remain so for the near/distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

If I'm understanding that right, it seems weird to me to cut up your goals after announcing them. Whatever works best, I guess.

Or was that only referring to future goals, past the 3 million?

Future goals, most likely.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

awesomepanda posted:

BrotherNone, how has the fund raising success of games like project eternity, waste land 2, and shadowrun affected publisher's role w/ companies like In-xile. Is there more interest now in their projects and products, along with a more equitable relationship? Or has the status quo remained unchange and remain so for the near/distant future.

Didn't one publisher try to capitalize on In-xile's name by making them fund their own project with kick starter while the publisher still got publishing rights somehow?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DrManiac posted:

Didn't one publisher try to capitalize on In-xile's name by making them fund their own project with kick starter while the publisher still got publishing rights somehow?

Asking, not making. And I think it was Obsidian who mentioned that story a few months ago. But yeah, either way, what a freaking joke.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obsidian's. Since they're trying to maintain a good working relationship with publishers, we'll probably never know who.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/19/publishers-wanted-obsidian-to-use-kickstarter/

quote:

According to Obsidian Entertainment, the developer behind the Kickstarter smash success Project Eternity, publishers approached the developer prior to the Kickstarter asking them to do crowd-fund on their behalf.

“We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter,” Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart revealed in a Q&A on the Project Eternity Kickstarter page. “I said to them ‘So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don’t get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.’ They said, ‘Yes’.”

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Jesus Christ I think I'm beginning to understand Fargo's frustration a bit better.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The best thing is that he said "some publishers". Meaning that multiple publishers tried to pull that poo poo off, it's not just a particular dickhead one that rhymes with "hee-yay" or with "hack decision".

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Publishers were assholes back when they provided a useful service.

I'm not sure what they are now.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
Such dickery. Too bad they hold all the bags of cash.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schurik posted:

Jesus Christ I think I'm beginning to understand Fargo's frustration a bit better.

If that hadn't happened, I would probably have been disgusted with Fargo's videos too.

As they have, I find I can't fault him for being so anti-publishers.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ErichZahn posted:

Publishers were assholes back when they provided a useful service.
I'm not sure what they are now.
They're still assholes. Assholes who deep down know that they have to change in order to survive, but either can't or just won't and end up clinging desperatly to their old ways.
In that they're not exactly unique.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
http://d4ms.me/Y3tuto

George Ziets posted:

quote:

So congrats, people seem to be pretty keen on throwing money at projects you're involved with. Hypothetically speaking, if you were asked to be the creative lead for a ~million-dollar Kickstarter, what would your pitch be?

Baldur’s Gate 3. Seriously, that would be a dream project for me. (Especially if we could do a divine-level campaign.)

Beyond that, I do have other settings / ideas, but I think BG3 would have the best chance of actually reaching (and exceeding) a million.

How long do Atari have the exclusive D&D license for?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

coffeetable posted:

http://d4ms.me/Y3tuto

Baldur’s Gate 3. Seriously, that would be a dream project for me. (Especially if we could do a divine-level campaign.)

Beyond that, I do have other settings / ideas, but I think BG3 would have the best chance of actually reaching (and exceeding) a million.

[/quote]

They would also have to have BG rights which Atari will have for a much, much longer time still.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Double post.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, Overhaul Entertainment claims that they'll be able to make a BG3 if their updated versions of 1 and 2 sell. Hopefully they reach out to Ziets and let him write it if that happens. I can't find it right now, but he actually wrote a somewhat detailed explanation of how he would design BG3, and it was really awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 10, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

coffeetable posted:

Zilkin posted:

They would also have to have BG rights which Atari will have for a much, much longer time still.
Hasbro sued Atari back in 2009 when the latter sold it's European assets to Namco Bandia. They eventually settled out of court in 2011 and the D&D videogame licence was returned to Hasbro. This includes the Baldur's Gate ip.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 10, 2013

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, Overhaul Entertainment claims that they'll be able to make a BG3 if their updated versions of 1 and 2 sell. Hopefully they reach out to Ziets and let him write it if that happens. I can't find it right now, but he actually wrote a somewhat detailed explanation of how he would design BG3, and it was really awesome.

Trent Oster said that he doesn't think divine level BG3 campaign would work well, so they wouldn't be doing the way Ziets wants to anyway. Plus I really don't trust Overhaul with BG3 at all. They've done OK'ish job with BGEE, but I'd much rather see company like Obsidian or inXile make BG3 if it's ever made.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Zilkin posted:

Trent Oster said that he doesn't think divine level BG3 campaign would work well, so they wouldn't be doing the way Ziets wants to anyway. Plus I really don't trust Overhaul with BG3 at all. They've done OK'ish job with BGEE, but I'd much rather see company like Obsidian or inXile make BG3 if it's ever made.
Yeah, BGEE is a combination of mod and port; the only content they designed consisted of a fighting arena module and three NPCs that apparently were not particularly bad but not amazing either. Going from that to BG3 would be like going from making a registry cleaner to developing Windows N+1 from scratch.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Apparently the additional content they're making for BG2 is going to be significantly larger than Throne of Bhaal, so who knows. Maybe they're gearing up into "new game mode" or something. I don't really have any expectations at all for the quality of their work, but I'd be a lot more confident if they hired a proven RPG designer like Ziets, but it seems they want to go in a different direction, which is disappointing.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
For reference, this is where Ziets wants to go with BG3

quote:

I’ve always thought that the struggles of a new FR deity could be pretty interesting. Think about what the Bhaalspawn would be up against: 1) few or no followers in a setting where a god requires worship to survive, 2) no divine portfolio to speak of, and 3) a fortress / headquarters that is still floating somewhere in the Abyss – not friendly territory, even for an evil PC.

Under those circumstances, I think a divine campaign would be a battle for survival. It’s suggested at the end of ToB that Cyric and his allies will be coming after you (whether the player is evil or not) because Cyric took over Bhaal’s divine portfolio. The player, as a nascent god, would be facing off against some powerful deities.

Terrible odds? Yes. But that’s great for a story hook.

Initially the player may just be staving off imminent disaster as Cyric and his friends move quickly against the player – several strong deities against a relatively weak one. I could imagine the player being forced to abandon the Throne of Bhaal and going on the run across the planes. The player’s goal would be to gain followers (faith=power), usurp the divine portfolio of another god, and carve out a base of power in the wider multiverse. Your journey could take you to some of the planes we’ve never visited in a CRPG – Mount Celestia, Limbo, and Mechanus, for example – as well as revisiting old favorites like Sigil, though seeing the City of Doors through the eyes of a minor deity could be a very different experience. In a divine-level planar campaign, the player might stir up a civil war on Mount Celestia, conquer a layer of the Abyss, or assemble an adventuring party of divine avatars. Ultimately you’d take back the Throne of Bhaal, smack down Cyric and his friends, and establish a place for yourself among the pantheon of gods.

Mechanically, it seems like a critical resource would be your divine power, which would rise with your number of followers (humans, divines, demons, or whatever), the extent of your notoriety and influence, and the importance of your divine portfolio. (The concept of divine rank could conceivably replace character level.) You’d create avatars to go adventuring in the various planes, so death wouldn’t force a reload. And as you travel the planes, you might learn ways to change or improve the traits of your avatar, or to create multiple avatars, each with different shapes and abilities, useful for different situations.

That’s just some quick brainstorming, but I think a divine-level BG3 could be a lot of fun, and the Bhaalspawn’s story could certainly go on if developers wanted to pursue it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That sounds awesome. I'd always thought that I'd never play another Baldur's Gate game if they made one, just because I'm personally done with that story, but that sounds different enough to actually be interesting.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A few questions pop up, like "Well, what if you rejected the portfolio?", in which case you could be replaced by some new random character, or "Well, if you're good, how do you handle being the god of Murder? Especially Lawful good?" And what do your few remaining followers under Bhaal feel about that?

Maybe you could twist the logic of your portfolio around until your followers all go around in broad daylight shoving duels onto evil people as a form of assassination, but I don't know. Or Spiritual Murder, where you troll evil people into giving up. Morrowind's legal assassins guild comes to mind.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Drifter posted:

Brother None, I know you guys can't be adding too many cooks in the kitchen before poo poo starts to just break down and become inefficient, so by doubling and possibly tripling your game content how much longer development time do you foresee this taking? Are you guys hiring other artists and stuff as well to faster add assets to the game?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking, but for starters, I guess, how dramatically different does the production of the game become and does anything become better visually as well?
Visuals aren't a big focus (not to say they don't get better, they do, but they're not a big priority). Our priority lies with adding companions/factions/NPCs/locations and deepening out reactivity. A lot of that can be nailed down very well in pre-production, and our longer pre-production period means it shouldn't be much of a problem for the production phase.

Visuals we will get to down the line, and by then we might be talking about things that take more time. I leave those considerations to industry vets like Kevin and Brian. If they start suspecting goals can push back the release date, that will be mentioned in the stretch goals.

GetWellGamers posted:

As long as we're interrogating Brother None, I'd love to hear the emotional timeline of the first day, how long it took to go from "Here we go...:ohdear:" to "Hey, that's a nice initial response" to "Wow, look at it go!" to "Jesus, it's just not stopping" to "Holy gently caress, it hasn't slowed down!" to ":stare:..."

I can't imagine what it must be like to essentially say "Hey, we've got an idea" and get a million dollars in six hours.
A lot of worked so hard on it, because it was a pretty small team actually working on getting internal and external communication channels up, fleshing out design and at the same time working on the Kickstarter. Most of inXile has focused purely on WL2. But us from the Torment team we pulling 10-12 hour workdays during the weekend before the Kickstarter (and probably before) until now, so it's been very stressful. Careful mails on Monday and Tuesday about "so what do you think?" "I'm optimistic we'll make the minimum, maybe go as high as 1.5 million or something by the end?"

Then it was just...

"What?"

"Huh?!"

"HOLY CRAP!"

The internal company mails were a lot of fun, haha.

Zilkin posted:

One concrete suggestion to BN would be KS update telling us something about that Crystal Dimension that was part of the 1.5 million stretch goal, maybe I missed it but I don't think anything has been said about it.

We'll do more talking on locations but don't plan to focus on the Crystal Dimension. We've got specific locations and story elements in mind to talk about and would like to stick to our limits, mostly because Brian & co are extremely weary of launching any spoilers into the world.

awesomepanda posted:

Differs per company. We don't work with publishers anymore. We work with distributors, sure, which could be publishing houses doing distribution, but we don't work with them as publishers. That's us though, we're a small company and can pull this off. Double Fine and Obsidian still work with publishers and at their size they have little choice (their studios are too big to fund through Kickstarter alone). That said, if Obsidian goes to a publisher to negotiate an Eternity follow-up (if they so choose), you can imagine Obsidian is negotiating from a better position.

I don't really know how much publisher reach-out there has been or what it's been like though. That's not really my area, and I obviously can't talk for Double Fine or Obsidian's experience. That story Feargus told sounds pretty typical for em, tho.

Brother None fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 10, 2013

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brother None posted:

Visuals we will get to down the line, and by then we might be talking about things that take more time. I leave those considerations to industry vets like Kevin and Brian.

3D or 2.5D? Will Torment be visually inspired by Planescape: Torment or just thematically? Can we expect that the Unity-based technology developed for Wasteland 2 to be used as the foundation for Torment?

Brother None posted:

Differs per company. We don't work with publishers anymore. We work with distributors, sure, which could be publishing houses doing distribution, but we don't work with them as publishers. That's us though, we're a small company and can pull this off.

You can also pull that off because Fargo is a very experienced publisher himself, so self-publishing (which is still publishing!) is in his wheelhouse. You don't need a publisher if you have the capabilities of a publisher in-house.

Brother None posted:

That story Feargus told sounds pretty typical for em, tho.

Someone's always trying to make a bad deal for someone else. That's business. And that's why when you're negotiating a contract, you have to be on your toes. I don't fault publishers for trying to make the deals that they do. They're not villains, usually (see: Naughty Dog and Universal vs. thatgamecompany and Sony.) They're trying to get the best deals for their companies. And they're sometimes very competent at that. Sometimes they're really not! I fault developers when they walk blindly into a publishing relationship and/or when they don't hire the right people to watch out for their interests.

But I think Fargo's criticism is more nuanced than "publishers make bad deals for developers." I think his argument is more that "publishers don't make the deals we want," especially today where metrics and Q Scores are everything.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Yes it's been announced already, they said that it would also use Unity as a base for Torment, and I see no reasons why they wouldn't bring some of the mechanics from W2 for that project as well

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Twee as gently caress posted:

Yes it's been announced already, they said that it would also use Unity as a base for Torment, and I see no reasons why they wouldn't bring some of the mechanics from W2 for that project as well

Basically. Whatever makes sense. Like, the combat system will be different but may take some of WL2's on board. The dialog system will be totally different in presentation but will utilize some of the same principles beneath the hood.

It will be visually inspired by PS:T, yes, we'll look to do a painterly style regardless of if we do 3D or 2D. Right now, we're planning to do 3D.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

There's a community suggestion on your "forums" that talks about 2.5D, which is something I very much support. 3D with a fixed angle is great, as you can massively bump up the detail level and fidelity while essentially keeping the workload, asset generation and system requirements the same as rotatable 3D. It also allows the art direction and design to stay much more true to concept art.

As there's probably going to be less combat than WL2 overall and that combat being less tactical (I doubt T:ToN is going to have a cover system), you also don't sacrifice anything on the gameplay or usability front. It also allows player and party models to have much higher detail level without standing out too much against a simple 3D background.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Brother None posted:

Basically. Whatever makes sense. Like, the combat system will be different but may take some of WL2's on board. The dialog system will be totally different in presentation but will utilize some of the same principles beneath the hood.

It will be visually inspired by PS:T, yes, we'll look to do a painterly style regardless of if we do 3D or 2D. Right now, we're planning to do 3D.

The difference between 2D and 3D isometric basically just the ability to pan the camera right? I would almost hope you would just go for 2D then, if that saved you guys some development resources to use elsewhere. As far as I know P:E is going for 2D too.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I hope they go with 2d also. Or 2,5D.

3D just doesn't allow as much detail, it never looks the same.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Zilkin posted:

The difference between 2D and 3D isometric basically just the ability to pan the camera right?

The production process is significantly different. 3D is rendered by the game as you play. 2D - in the style of Infinity Engine or Project Eternity - is rendered by us from high-quality 3D models, made into an "image" based on our camera angle, then "hand-painted" over, then implemented into the game engine with 3D models and effects overlaid with the usage of the 2D image overlaid by an ingame effects map. 2D in the style of Project Eternity is more expensive to than 3D, even full-rotation 3D like Wasteland 2.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Brother None posted:

The production process is significantly different. 3D is rendered by the game as you play. 2D - in the style of Infinity Engine or Project Eternity - is rendered by us from high-quality 3D models, made into an "image" based on our camera angle, then "hand-painted" over, then implemented into the game engine with 3D models and effects overlaid with the usage of the 2D image overlaid by an ingame effects map. 2D in the style of Project Eternity is more expensive to than 3D, even full-rotation 3D like Wasteland 2.
IIRC the reason Obsidian said they went for 2D in P:E was because it would make it much easier (read: cheaper) to create the huge variety of pretty environments required for that sort of fantasy continent.

Isn't it possible that Numenera, with its even more wild and crazy vistas which I presume will limit the reuse of art assets, would be much better served by the hand-painting process than Wasteland 2, which consists of fairly reliable post-apocalyptic American objects?

Example - make a table once in W2, and every other house belonging to a similar socioeconomical class can conceivably use the same table or a minor reskin of it. But if Numenera is anywhere as weird as it promises to be, one table may be made of what used to be a giant touchpad, another may be fashioned out of the bones and scales of a mutant beast, another may be half carbon fiber and half scrapwood. Surely that sort of one-off-maybe-two-off-at-best items are cheaper to paint over a basic 3D draft than to fully model in 3D?

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

NihilCredo posted:

Isn't it possible that Numenera, with its even more wild and crazy vistas which I presume will limit the reuse of art assets, would be much better served by the hand-painting process than Wasteland 2, which consists of fairly reliable post-apocalyptic American objects?
Better served? Yes. I personally think 2D would work better than 3D. But it is not cheaper. I can't speak for Obsidian, but that's just the facts as I know em, 2D in this style is more expensive than 3D.

NihilCredo posted:

Surely that sort of one-off-maybe-two-off-at-best items are cheaper to paint over a basic 3D draft than to fully model in 3D?
Not really, since with each significant change (and some you listed are pretty significant) you'd have to make a new 3D model for each anyway, to create the image over which you paint 2D. 2D may help in variance for minor touches, sure, but a different model is still a different model.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Not too bad, we are nearly $100,000 from getting what we all deserve and dreamed of, an apology for the Complete Book of Elves.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I am not joking when I say that a Monte Cook apology for Toughness ought to be a 2.75m goal or something. It would be not just for kicks, but more importantly to reassure us about his influence on Numanuma game design.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NihilCredo posted:

I am not joking when I say that a Monte Cook apology for Toughness ought to be a 2.75m goal or something. It would be not just for kicks, but more importantly to reassure us about his influence on Numanuma game design.

How is toughness any worse than AC or THAC-0 stuff, or any other thing I probably don't know about?

I think this talks about toughness? Doesn't seem particularly terrible.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

How is toughness any worse than AC or THAC-0 stuff, or any other thing I probably don't know about?

Toughness was a poo poo option by design. Its purpose was to make you feel smart for not taking it. I am not even exaggerating. That was the stated design goal.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Thankfully, both NWN and Pathfinder both fixed toughness and made it a very good feat.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

NihilCredo posted:

What do we need to do to make this happen Brother None? Because I really want it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Drifter posted:

As others have stated it was a feat that looked good to low level inexperienced players but was useless as the game went on. While it wouldn't cripple the player it was there to basically teach you to think about the overall arc of your character.

Basically 'look at this stupid newb that took toughness' baked into the rules which is a terrible thing to do to a player.

• Locked thread