Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was really put off by this games visual style, at first, however, the more videos I watch and the more I read, the more I really dig it.

Between WildStar, Neverwinter, and eventually Star Citizen, I'm going to be very busy for the next couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Looks like the 4th Dominion race was inadvertently leaked during a press preview about a month ago.

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCqgowlTKo&t=505s has a brief developer description
This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haEZDgkIZk&t=637s zooms in slightly further for a better look

They seem to be a race of mad scientists; possibly a cross between GW2's Asura and WoW's Goblins. Physically, they appear to be a short race that has fur and huge bat-like ears.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The 4th exile races hints suggest some sort of sci-fi undead, which would be a pretty fun gimmick.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

They've been running a few in-character Twitter accounts. This one is making it sound like beta invites might be going out soon.

edit: aaand a similar one from the other account.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 11, 2013

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The 4th exile races hints suggest some sort of sci-fi undead, which would be a pretty fun gimmick.

Kind of like these guys?

http://allods.gpotato.com/?m=game&a=arisen

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Or these:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Forsaken

This is turning more and more into WOW meets Jak & Daxter.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

novaSphere posted:

Or these:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Forsaken

This is turning more and more into WOW meets Jak & Daxter.

You know... or these guys: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Necrons

Or any undead archetype that uses technology to augment their shortcomings.

But I guess WoW thought of it first. They probably invented cyborgs too.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Necrons are just constructs controlled by a god, not really a race of undead people. Though Necrons is probably more apt considering how much this game is looking to satire 40k.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

novaSphere posted:

Necrons are just constructs controlled by a god, not really a race of undead people. Though Necrons is probably more apt considering how much this game is looking to satire 40k.

Remember in the announcement video, that giant robit with all of the little spiders that come out?

Remember how ancient it looked? I'm thinking that it's somehow related.

That or they're vampires. I heard they may be vampires.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Their racial ability can be sparkles.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I don't know if it's going to be necronish, check out the hand in this still:

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 12, 2013

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So apparently there's an ask-and-answer thing going on today with the Wildstar devs on Reddit. It should go up at 11AM PST.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lots of answers in that reddit Q/A, I even had one of mine answered!

This game is going to be quite amazing, can't wait for the beta.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Limiting each class to only one type of weapon kind of sucks but at the same time there really is no difference between say all the 2H's in WoW so why have 3 options anyways? I dunno though, having different weapon type is just cool from a cosmetic stand point.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Limiting each class to only one type of weapon kind of sucks but at the same time there really is no difference between say all the 2H's in WoW so why have 3 options anyways? I dunno though, having different weapon type is just cool from a cosmetic stand point.

I suspect (speculation abounds!) that they will have cosmetically different looking weapons, but that they'll all be of the same type. So your two handed weapons will have cosmetic choices for a hammer, or a greatsword.

Maybe that will be part of the possible cash shop!

fakebaconandeggs
Feb 18, 2011

CREDO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_riSI7Ydg

New official video about some of the world mechanics and various other things I assume that will be coming out during launch.

Also, Beta signups. :getin:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

fakebaconandeggs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_riSI7Ydg

New official video about some of the world mechanics and various other things I assume that will be coming out during launch.

Even though I know this game is still just like WoW 2.0 (But in a interesting sci-fi way) I keep getting more and more excited for it.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 20, 2013

Urinal Farter
May 5, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Even though I know this game is still just like WoW 2.0 (But in a interesting sci-fi way) I keep getting more and more excited for it.

I think I'm getting more and more excited for it because it's sci-fi WoW 2.0.

So many WoW clones have failed because they can't hit that balance of copying what made Warcraft so much fun while adding enough new stuff to make it feel fresh. The information that's been revealed so far makes Wildstar look like it may be close to hitting that mark.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

BadLlama posted:

But that the best part of a new MMO: being full of dreams and hopes before you realize that its WoW 2.0. So who is the group leader for the beta signup?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Almost all mmorpgs that Ive tried, even if they were bad, which most were, were good for the first one or two months. Everything is fresh, tons of people everywhere, you're just learning and exploring everything. In fact I cannot name one that Ive tried that I hated the first few months. Its when you start nearing that end game where you realize, do I wanna play this any longer?

That being said Ill gladly pay the entrance fee to a mew mmorpg experience.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 20, 2013

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I agree, those honeymoon months are the best parts of any new MMO. This is actually part of a larger problem for me where I really just like leveling/progressing my character (outside of gear, that grind doesn't really do it for me at max level) so I end up playing an MMO, leveling up pretty high or possibly to cap, then I immediately switch to another MMO where I do the same. I've been cycling through all of the major titles pretty consistently for a while now, it kind of sucks.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I've been really looking forward to this since it was announced.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

fakebaconandeggs posted:

Gotta love that how they pulled off that Video, its like they took everything good from WoW and everything good from EQ2 (Player Housing, Guild Houses, etc) and merged them together into a mega sci-fi game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I signed up, it looks fun.
If you end up getting your own spaceship on top of a house, I'd probably sign up for a lifetime sub without knowing anything else.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm gonna try to go to the Pax East panel for Wildstar. Hopefully some new info gets said instead of just going over everything we already know.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I really liked that trailer and signed up for the beta. I love MMOs but was kind of disappointed with the last couple of them ...

What is the purpose of the war plots? I imagine it only has something to do with PVP but it looks cool. Every thing looks pretty cool. I wonder how the "scientist" "explorer" etc. will be anywhere near as good as a soldier type of class. I really don't know how they could pull off minimal combat in an MMO and not sure if that is the case but it would be neat to see someone get max level and items without killing anything (hah).

Looks good. Can't wait for the beta.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

This really is WoW in space.

Meowbot posted:

What is the purpose of the war plots? I imagine it only has something to do with PVP but it looks cool.

Guessing it's a battlekeep or guild fort that your guild can lay claim to, upgrade, and defend for some perks.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

novaSphere posted:

Yep. I burned out of WoW years ago, I can't believe I'm excited for Wildstar, but I am.

I'm guessing Explorers will have special movement-oriented abilities (so they can reach obscure areas); movement factors into combat so there's potential there. I can easily see Explorers unlocking special dungeon areas for their teammates and stuff. Scientists? No idea. Maybe they'll have better crafting options, maybe they'll be another buff/debuff class, who knows.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Mr. Jive posted:

Yep. I burned out of WoW years ago, I can't believe I'm excited for Wildstar, but I am.

Yeah I got burned out on WoW after BWL in vanilla but this has gotten me pretty excited. Odd that sw:tor did nothing but this does.

Yabari
May 14, 2002
Don Juan Delanooch

Mr. Jive posted:

I'm guessing Explorers will have special movement-oriented abilities (so they can reach obscure areas); movement factors into combat so there's potential there. I can easily see Explorers unlocking special dungeon areas for their teammates and stuff. Scientists? No idea. Maybe they'll have better crafting options, maybe they'll be another buff/debuff class, who knows.

As far as I understand it, those won't give any extra abilities, they'll just unlock different content for you to do. The explorer gets waypoints on top of mountains and stuff, combatants get to defend little camps of NPC's, and so on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Phoix posted:

They've been running a few in-character Twitter accounts. This one is making it sound like beta invites might be going out soon.

edit: aaand a similar one from the other account.

This tweet makes it sound like something interesting (maybe beta starting?) is gonna happen on the 22nd.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kyrosiris posted:

This tweet makes it sound like something interesting (maybe beta starting?) is gonna happen on the 22nd.

Might just be about the panel they're having at PAX that day, although I guess that'd be a perfect time to announce the beta

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Might just be about the panel they're having at PAX that day, although I guess that'd be a perfect time to announce the beta

:doh: I didn't even think about PAX.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

novaSphere posted:

The thing is, I'm ready to get back into a WoW-like game again. If this is WoW in space with some modern improvements that make it more like GW2, then I'm cool with that. I also like the level of production they seem to be putting into their video. I know its just a gimmick, but it makes me more excited for the game anyway.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
This to me is just another questgrind WoW clone that even ripped off WoWs art style but now with houses. Absolutely not interested in this game. In fact im more interested in Defiance, despite the negative crap Ive been reading about it.

Im sure if polished enough and finished this will attract tons of WoW players. But im not even sure that WoW players today waht to play through another WoW but in a different setting.

The combat also looks like a rip off from TSW, only 9 usable skills and the mobs telegraphing their special attacks so you have to get out of the red circle. BORING!

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Peechka posted:

This to me is just another questgrind WoW clone that even ripped off WoWs art style but now with houses. Absolutely not interested in this game. In fact im more interested in Defiance, despite the negative crap Ive been reading about it.

Im sure if polished enough and finished this will attract tons of WoW players. But im not even sure that WoW players today waht to play through another WoW but in a different setting.

The combat also looks like a rip off from TSW, only 9 usable skills and the mobs telegraphing their special attacks so you have to get out of the red circle. BORING!

I'd much rather be limited to using 9 skills in combat where I can pick and choose which ones to use and create my own builds instead of having to deal with WoW and friends 40+ skills and being forced to write macros in order to setup rotations and blah blah blah. I am personally loving ecstatic MMOs are moving away from the 4-5 hotbars full of skills poo poo. My biggest disappointment in TOR was the fact that they went with the hotbars full of skills plan rather than an approach like TSW or GW2 when it came to combat.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Peechka posted:

I disagree, just from watching the video's the combat seems like it will be pretty intense and fun compared with the other MMOs out right now. Not seeing how it is similar to TSW at all besides the limited hotbar, which has actually been a thing for a long time even before Guild Wars?

I wish defiance turns out good but I severely doubt it will.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
How bout the mobs telegraphing the special attacks so you can "dodge" them. Its the same as TSW.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Peechka posted:

How bout the mobs telegraphing the special attacks so you can "dodge" them. Its the same as TSW.

Pretty sure they specifically said that the tells get less and less obvious as the mobs get tougher. Not every player is as pro as you, if a game wants to bring in a lot of people, then they need to make it fairly easy at the start and gradually ramp it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Peechka posted:

It's the same in a lot of games these days. It's no different than a mob charging up an attack with a specific animation or yelling something before doing a special attack in other MMOs so you know to get out of the way, either by running away or dodging.

• Locked thread