Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

the black husserl posted:

I guess I'm still super lucky because I haven't encountered any hacking, just the occasional team killer. I consider getting fragged part of the simulation though.

Yeah, there's been like two times in wasteland I've found a guy running a script that makes him invulnerable, but that's about it. The bird thing isn't even a hack, it's just a bug with the dev build, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They've said they're still working on the anti-cheat so I'd hold out hope for improvement. That said, A2/OA had Battleye and it was useful for a few things but was never that good at preventing cheating.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hybridfusion posted:

I was using free look and then turned it off and my camera didnt reset. My character always looks really far to the right now. I've tried to reset the camera but the game thinks my default camera view is now as far right as my character can look.

Anyone have any ideas on how to force the game to go back to its original setting?
This happened to me, but it was in a helicopter. I just had to fly using my keyboard with free-look enabled. Tapping ALT would correctly center my crosshairs so I was able to shoot stuff properly. Restarting my game client fixed it.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Nalin posted:

This happened to me, but it was in a helicopter. I just had to fly using my keyboard with free-look enabled. Tapping ALT would correctly center my crosshairs so I was able to shoot stuff properly. Restarting my game client fixed it.

Double Tap Alt next time. Double tapping keys is how you get them to stick in Arma. So like double tapping K will keep the compass on screen, while double tapping alt will put you in mouse look until you double tap again.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Rubber Slug posted:

Wait, is that really their official stance?

I think I read it somewhere a while back but I'm not completely sure.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Where are goons playing right now? The Mumble won't let me connect.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

hailthefish posted:

They've said they're still working on the anti-cheat so I'd hold out hope for improvement. That said, A2/OA had Battleye and it was useful for a few things but was never that good at preventing cheating.
If I recall correctly, Dwarden (BI community manager) has said that BattlEye can only do so much in the face of:
#1: admins who don't know or don't apply certain security options
#2: poor mission scripting/coding that's exploitable (i.e. citing DayZ mod patch 1.7.5.1 as introducing its own exploit vulnerabilities)
#3: CD key theft

That last one being of the purported advantages of moving over to Steamworks.

EDIT: Should we get a "horrible things people say on the BI forums" thread?

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 12, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
As long as they keep all of the zombie crap out of this one, I don't mind who the opposing military is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SERPUS posted:

As long as they keep all of the zombie crap out of this one, I don't mind who the opposing military is.

Source your quotes please.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Kraustofski posted:

Hacking is beginning to be such a problem that I have no idea how they can ignore it any longer. If they don't deal with their massive security holes in this game then most of the fun gameplay is going to be relegated to whitelist style servers, might not be a bad thing but it shouldn't have to come to that.

It can never be fixed and honestly its a waste of time. CS GO is still filled with aimbots and whatever and its run by the almighty Valve, who have way more resources than BI.

The only counter is to play in communities where that isn't tolerated and is strictly policed.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I can't seem to play tonight for more than 10 or 15 minutes without being turned into a Seagul.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sylink posted:

It can never be fixed and honestly its a waste of time. CS GO is still filled with aimbots and whatever and its run by the almighty Valve, who have way more resources than BI.

The only counter is to play in communities where that isn't tolerated and is strictly policed.

Exactly. I've never seen a single hacker in Arma2 because I've never connected to a public server.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

n0n0 posted:

I can't seem to play tonight for more than 10 or 15 minutes without being turned into a Seagul.

I'm sorry but this CAN be rectified on their end. People saying "No it can't be fixed/shouldn't be fixed" are very mistaken. There are steps developers can take to make this stuff way less egregious. Stuff like aimbotting you'll never kill, this is true, but having the ability to take over a player's screen and forcing them to watch epileptic seizure inducing poo poo while being changed into a seagull is pretty unacceptable as far as basic game functionality is concerned. I don't care about aimbotting or stuff that plagues other games- I'm talking the ability to affect server management (and client side stuff from that server functionality) at some very dangerous levels. Being able to enter developer mode in a public server as an ordinary user is also pretty drat unacceptable.

If every good game server has to be locked behind a whitelist sure, fine, that's great and solves all your problems... but they're making these games with a much wider audience now (DayZ not included) so I'd hope they're trying to at least make some updates to how dedicated server hosting works and what kind of stuff clients connected to it can upload.

Sylink posted:

That is half of the problem right there... bad management on servers. But the tools that administration can use without scripting or coding any themselves is pretty drat limited from what I see. Valve beat a lot of their hacking woes by locking down server side functions- that means normal users cannot access admin/dev functions nor insert scripts without access to the proper codes. You'll still have aimbots and teleporters, but you will eliminate the ability for script users to affect normal users like we've seen in the early stages of Arma 3 Re-turning everyone into seagulls then inserting "kill and respawn at this location" type commands.

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 12, 2013

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Kraustofski posted:

I'm sorry but this CAN be rectified on their end. People saying "No it can't be fixed/shouldn't be fixed" are very mistaken. There are steps developers can take to make this stuff way less egregious. Stuff like aimbotting you'll never kill, this is true, but having the ability to take over a player's screen and forcing them to watch epileptic seizure inducing poo poo while being changed into a seagull is pretty unacceptable as far as basic game functionality is concerned. I don't care about aimbotting or stuff that plagues other games- I'm talking the ability to affect server management (and client side stuff from that server functionality) at some very dangerous levels. Being able to enter developer mode in a public server as an ordinary user is also pretty drat unacceptable.

If every good game server has to be locked behind a whitelist sure, fine, that's great and solves all your problems... but they're making these games with a much wider audience now (DayZ not included) so I'd hope they're trying to at least make some updates to how dedicated server hosting works and what kind of stuff clients connected to it can upload.

That is half of the problem right there... bad management on servers. But the tools that administration can use without scripting or coding any themselves is pretty drat limited from what I see. Valve beat a lot of their hacking woes by locking down server side functions- that means normal users cannot access admin/dev functions nor insert scripts without access to the proper codes. You'll still have aimbots and teleporters, but you will eliminate the ability for script users to affect normal users like we've seen in the early stages of Arma 3 Re-turning everyone into seagulls then inserting "kill and respawn at this location" type commands.

It's only been said 10 times in this thread, but the seagull thing ISN'T a hack, it's just a bug that occurs when a user with the development branch of the alpha joins a server meant for people with the stable alpha release, which is due to the server hosts not setting their servers up right by not forcing the correct version to be used. The fact is is that the majority of the woes we're having on the MP end are due to servers that are being hosted without the proper settings/proper admin control, which is not BIS's fault, as the tools are all there for anyone who's looking to host a server properly. It's an alpha, it's very early, it's feature incomplete. Expect a dedicated server .exe soonish, and with that will be even more tools to properly set up a server.

TL;DR chill your hate boner man and just shoot mans.

Edit: :siren: PSA: Take your game off the development branch of the game and verify the cache integrity through steam. This will let you play on servers properly, and puts you at far less of a risk of game breaking bugs.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 12, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Whatever the latest update was, it broke my Arma 3 and forced me to use Steam's file-check and restore feature.

On the plus side, they're doing some seriously good optimization work, because it's running even better now than it did before. Ultra detail with all the trimmings, no problemo.

Also, something about the engine seems to vastly favour FXAA over SMAA - normally the former crushes textures a bit while the latter one leaves them be. Kinda the opposite here. Good thing it offers both.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kraustofski posted:

That is half of the problem right there... bad management on servers. But the tools that administration can use without scripting or coding any themselves is pretty drat limited from what I see. Valve beat a lot of their hacking woes by locking down server side functions- that means normal users cannot access admin/dev functions nor insert scripts without access to the proper codes.
I believe that you'd honestly get more backlash on their official forums over any hint of "locking down" anything than over lax multiplayer anti-cheater.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

Removing scripts from players isn't going to solve anything and isn't a simple switch due to the way armas scripting engine work. All doing that will do is BREAK a poo poo load of scripts and cause a lot of issues with mods and the like. Not to mention, a lot of admins have 'debug' consoles where they can execute scripting commands at will in order to fix missions if they break etc and those sort of things will be considered 'hacks' if such changes were put in place.

Don't ask for changes in things you don't understand.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Chortles posted:

I believe that you'd honestly get more backlash on their official forums over any hint of "locking down" anything than over lax multiplayer anti-cheater.

Their forums had a backlash for their game playing "more like a normal shooter" so I'm pretty sure nobody gives a gently caress what their official forum users think. A good bunch of them are so obsessed with how suddenly popular their little milsim game got that they're kinda mad that it's more accessible by a wider audience.

I'll admit I got all flustered with how easy it's been after all these years (Operation Flashpoint to Arma 1 and now) that I couldn't believe there's nothing in the works to try and address any of it. If they didn't bother changing how their scripting language works up until now then I guess I see the reason why they don't want to do it, but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kraustofski posted:

Their forums had a backlash for their game playing "more like a normal shooter"
The fun part about this is when an actual BI dev dares to defend the changes -- that is, the realization that it's not just "whiners from other games" being listened to but actual devs liking/wanting the changes -- they then lash out at the devs. :rolleyes:

Kraustofski posted:

I'll admit I got all flustered with how easy it's been after all these years (Operation Flashpoint to Arma 1 and now) that I couldn't believe there's nothing in the works to try and address any of it. If they didn't bother changing how their scripting language works up until now then I guess I see the reason why they don't want to do it, but it still doesn't make much sense to me though.
I have joked that they barely even know how their AI even works, but apparently that's too close to the truth to be comfortable...

Yep, here's Dwarden confirming lack-of-anticheat at this time:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 12, 2013

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

The bird bug may be the best bug but drat if they couldn't make the birds control a little bit better! I swear I remember swooping around as one like 7 or 8 years ago in OFP and it feels like it hasn't changed a day (I've gotten very good at it between that time and this I hope).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kraustofski posted:

The bird bug may be the best bug but drat if they couldn't make the birds control a little bit better! I swear I remember swooping around as one like 7 or 8 years ago in OFP and it feels like it hasn't changed a day (I've gotten very good at it between that time and this I hope).
Again, why the surprise at "it feels like it hasn't changed a day" when the infantry movement/weapon handling and 'world graphics' are the only immediate visible changes in Arma 3 from Arma 2 besides the GUI tweaks? As has been said, beyond those changes it's so basically close to Arma 2 -- which was so basically close to Arma 1 -- which (probably not BI's fault) was so close to Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis... yet the above two changes are enough to garner it massive first-week Internet hype.

Hell, we're still stuck with the action menu and number-row/function-keys squad commanding instead of number-row weapons/equipment. :ughh: Although at least the spacebar in the Arma 3 keybinds preset is basically the "context-sensitive action" key instead of just Enter/Return, and I intend to rebind the "long gun/sidearm swap" key to something close to my left hand or to a mouse button.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chortles posted:

The fun part about this is when an actual BI dev dares to defend the changes -- that is, the realization that it's not just "whiners from other games" being listened to but actual devs liking/wanting the changes -- they then lash out at the devs. :rolleyes:
I have joked that they barely even know how their AI even works, but apparently that's too close to the truth to be comfortable...

Yep, here's Dwarden confirming lack-of-anticheat at this time:

Especially as the largest improvement outside of engine optimisation and graphical quality was the control system, which got twice as complicated as it was before. Anyone who says it is 'too accessible' is plain wrong, the major barriers to entry like crappy mission design are still as prominent as ever.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Flaky posted:

Especially as the largest improvement outside of engine optimisation and graphical quality was the control system, which got twice as complicated as it was before. Anyone who says it is 'too accessible' is plain wrong, the major barriers to entry like crappy mission design are still as prominent as ever.
And this last part is the part that I expect a grand total of "no one" there to admit about why DayZ took off and their milsim sperging missions never did -- and thus why, say, BI might favor Rocket over "the community" or "the ACE team" (besides Rocket having already been a BI dev when DayZ became a thing*).

I actually don't find the controls much more complicated than Arma 2's, personally, but then again I feel that there was a conscious effort on Jay Crowe's part that some of the default keybindings in the Arma 3 preset should be closer to those of a conventional shooter game -- I speculate "Jay Crowe" since a number of them outright match the ones that he mentioned that he was using himself.

* According to Rocket, he was actually one of only two multiplayer designers for Arma 3.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

I tried to look at the map editing/scripting part of the official forums just a few minutes ago. I've never seen so much whining and gnashing of teeth regarding total nonissues in my life. There are legitimate problems with the map editor and scripting bits for missions for sure (they're complicated as gently caress) but the people whining about them appear to be whining more about intellectual property and how they've been "forsaken by the BI devs for abandoning Arma modders" or some poo poo. With the new influx of cash this game will put into BI's pockets they should nuke their official forums from a safe distance and build a new and far more moderated one on the ashes. Also some tutorials or something for people getting into it because some of the only tutorials in existence have disappeared because their authors removed them citing how they hated Arma and its devs all of the sudden.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^ Hopefully they'll shut up or get the gently caress out when they realize they ain't getting it their way.

The bird "bug" is probably their anti-counterfeit code making GBS threads itself because of the new patch.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 12, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kraustofski posted:

With the new influx of cash this game will put into BI's pockets they should nuke their official forums from a safe distance and build a new and far more moderated one on the ashes.
In fairness, the existing moderators (even the spergy ones who among the very same category that should be purged) are pretty damned quick about locking the inevitable "spam" threads of people who insist that their complaint deserves its own post even when it's about the same topic as an existing longer thread or even a sticky.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The client seems a bit unstable, was there a patch that I didn't notice?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jippa posted:

The client seems a bit unstable, was there a patch that I didn't notice?

Have you verified the cache through Steam?

I was having it crash every time on startup and it found a few things to fix.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

Kraustofski posted:

I tried to look at the map editing/scripting part of the official forums just a few minutes ago. I've never seen so much whining and gnashing of teeth regarding total nonissues in my life. There are legitimate problems with the map editor and scripting bits for missions for sure (they're complicated as gently caress) but the people whining about them appear to be whining more about intellectual property and how they've been "forsaken by the BI devs for abandoning Arma modders" or some poo poo. With the new influx of cash this game will put into BI's pockets they should nuke their official forums from a safe distance and build a new and far more moderated one on the ashes. Also some tutorials or something for people getting into it because some of the only tutorials in existence have disappeared because their authors removed them citing how they hated Arma and its devs all of the sudden.

Sure does remind me of CloD modders who removed their engine sound mods because they felt Oleg was an insufferably greedy prick and that, some how, they were creating art by sampling 70 year old piston engines.

BIS has left the community with a wonderfully open-ended game with lots of modding potential and probably in the best shape it can be, optimization-wise. Realistically, I don't think these people would be satisfied until BIS slapped their name in the credits for the blood, sweat, and tears they put into making horrible re-skins of UH-1Y's and USMC troops.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SkopeDog posted:

Sure does remind me of CloD modders who removed their engine sound mods because they felt Oleg was an insufferably greedy prick and that, some how, they were creating art by sampling 70 year old piston engines.

BIS has left the community with a wonderfully open-ended game with lots of modding potential and probably in the best shape it can be, optimization-wise. Realistically, I don't think these people would be satisfied until BIS slapped their name in the credits for the blood, sweat, and tears they put into making horrible re-skins of UH-1Y's and USMC troops.
Cue the forums drama (though not as much as stuff like hacking rampancy, the Steamworks announcement or the BI Store outage) when it was revealed that the name-in-credits was for the first five hundred buyers instead of contributors being entitled to said spot... as I noted though, the latter (devs or fans picking modders for the credits) would have caused even more drama.

Heh, what do you know, even metalcraze likes the "future warfare" setting as an excuse for 'symmetric warfare'.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 12, 2013

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

Chortles posted:

Cue the forums drama (though not as much as stuff like hacking rampancy, the Steamworks announcement or the BI Store outage) when it was revealed that the name-in-credits was for the first five hundred buyers instead of contributors being entitled to said spot... as I noted though, the latter (devs or fans picking modders for the credits) would have caused even more drama.

Heh, what do you know, even metalcraze likes the "future warfare" setting as an excuse for 'symmetric warfare'.

I don't know who this metalcraze dork is, but he is silly. Looking at his posts is a chore. I bet he has to sort out the different colored Fruit Loops before eating them in the morning. The addition of female models I kind of agree on him with, but mostly because I'd rather see development time dedicated to refining the engine and wouldn't object to seeing such additions being made once that came to be.

quote:

I just wish they redo those iranian helmets. They are quite cheesy.
Oh, he can go to hell. The Iranian helmets look bad rear end, like predator bad rear end. I've honestly not had this much fun playing as OpFor/EAST since playing as the Soviets in the original Operation Flashpoint. They're a fun faction, aesthetically.

Let them have fun with their faction. I can't wait to try out the Kaman.

I really don't get the ArmA community. There was some kind of shift from when everyone went on to ArmA and everyone just got nastier, spergier, and much more pointlessly nationalistic about their corner of the globe. It was loving ridiculous for the time. Things seemed to have calmed down since ArmA 2, at least.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SERPUS posted:

I agree, I think wendigo are going to be the next big thing. I predict the next big mod will be a highly realistic small town simulator, where by day you work a small manual labor job and get some beers at the local bar, and at night you protect the town from the cannibalistic monsters who seek to devour them all.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

I agree, I think wendigo are going to be the next big thing. I predict the next big mod will be a highly realistic small town simulator, where by day you work a small manual labor job and get some beers at the local bar, and at night you protect the town from the cannibalistic monsters who seek to devour them all.

I want to play that game.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Boogaleeboo posted:

Well Anthropophagus did take place on a Greek Island, I'm sure we could change the story from one guy to 20 random wrecks who wash up on the island, mad after eating their families to survive.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^^ It's on youtube. What the hell am I watching. :psyduck:

Nothing wrong with zombies. They provide a nice backdrop for the DayZ kind of gameplay. Wasteland is fun, but it doesn't come close to giving the excitement you get from pvp with permadeath where getting new stuff / rejoining friends is just enough hassle for you to want to stay alive.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 12, 2013

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Mod communities can get immensely precious about work. I understand it, but it lacks perspective.

This is only going to get worse with this release. Breakage will be frequent and severe as the product moves from alpha towards release, and it is a certainty that spergy mod makers will have a fit because their work needs aligning with changes.

Complaining about IP ethics when you're voluntarily developing content for a third-party commercial product is loving stupid.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
EDIT: not related to discussion.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Chortles posted:

Hell, we're still stuck with the action menu and number-row/function-keys squad commanding instead of number-row weapons/equipment. :ughh: Although at least the spacebar in the Arma 3 keybinds preset is basically the "context-sensitive action" key instead of just Enter/Return, and I intend to rebind the "long gun/sidearm swap" key to something close to my left hand or to a mouse button.

I completely agree that there should be a better way to pre-select equipment classes on the fly, but how would you implement changes to the action menu for other things? I can see having a general "use" key replace the standard menu actions for the most part, but there are certain instances where a mission creator will need a user to be able to select more than one action at a time, and I can't really see a plethora of button binds being any better considering the context would be completely different depending on the mission. As far as mission editing/playing goes, I'm absolutely happy with how the action menu has been implemented in the past.

It does have its drawbacks such as frantically selecting the wrong action while being shot at. I think that being able to bind buttons to remove general/specific actions would help (select weapon, enter vehicle, bandage), and maybe this is what you were referring to, but I think I would actually miss the action menu being removed for something else entirely.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My friend wants to give me an Alpha key, where can he find it? He's lost and I don't see it in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My friend wants to give me an Alpha key, where can he find it? He's lost and I don't see it in the OP.

If you're talking about the alpha lite keys, they won't be available until the 14th.