Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Scyron posted:

God of war did this with the 5 in one collection. I'm sure all the creeds games could fit on one disc.

I guess this might be nice to see anthology/mega collections or better for many franchises upcoming 10+ year anniversary. I feel any ps2/3 remake with the given specs of the PS4 shouldn't run into any "issues" some HD collections have had this current generation.

I really want 1080p60 to be the standard, like as in certification standard, even if I only have a monitor for 1080p gaming currently.

I think the PS4 Killzone has already announced that they won't have 1080p 60FPS :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Well bahumbug. I guess 30fps is just apart of the console life. :downs:

I was not aware about the GOW thing was downloads and separate discs. That makes a lot of financial sense.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All three Ratchet and Clank games (the middle one is little more than a short side-adventure than a full R&C game, so skip it if you want)

If you've played one Ratchet and Clank game, you've played them all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Scyron posted:

Well bahumbug. I guess 30fps is just apart of the console life. :downs:

I was not aware about the GOW thing was downloads and separate discs. That makes a lot of financial sense.

But we do have games like Metal Gear Solid Revengence which runs at 60fps!

60fps might end up being a thing for certain genres, like fighting games, maybe quick reflex action games and the like.

No need to put it in for an RPG, keep making it look as pretty as possible! (If square does get around to FF15 on the PS4 it will be the most amazing thing we've seen)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Nail Rat posted:

If you've played one Ratchet and Clank game, you've played them all.

That's true for a lot of games, but I still buy all the sequels. :shepicide:

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Sony Santa Monica is patching the Bros Before Hos trophy out of the game so everyone can relax.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/11/controversial-god-of-war-ascension-trophy-altered-in-upcoming-p/

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

gameday posted:

Sony Santa Monica is patching the Bros Before Hos trophy out of the game so everyone can relax.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/11/controversial-god-of-war-ascension-trophy-altered-in-upcoming-p/

I still have to roll my eyes a little knowing what the original trophy was, but I appreciate the gesture. The old name was pretty egregious.

They've changed it to "Bros Before Foes", for anyone who hasn't clicked.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So like, for anyone who cares to enlighten me... (and this may be a silly question given it's possible simplicity) what is the story with Bit Trip? (Specifically Runner 2)

I'm playing the demo and it feels like an Endless runner (minus the Endless) but well made and charming as gently caress.

Is that all there is to it? The demo doesn't really indicate how big/long/evolving the game may be.

I know there are other bit trip games. Are they just games in a singular universe or do they tie in in some kind of meta arc?

Just curious. I almost sorta kinda wanna buy Runner 2.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The different Bit.Trip games have stylistic connections. I don't think the series can be said to have canon. I've never played Runner 2, but Runner 1 was a cool game; yeah, it's an endless runner, but like the other games in the series, it has a bunch of rhythm game influence in there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also, (just bought it) whats the deal with leaderboards? If my speed is constant, all I have to do is get all the items, not die or mess up... to "perfect" a level, so what makes one guy have a better score on a leaderboard than another?

Is there a nuance I may be missing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gameday posted:

It's still a little weird but it's nice to see they recognized it was pretty creepy and took steps to alter it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Feenix posted:

I'm playing the demo and it feels like an Endless runner (minus the Endless) but well made and charming as gently caress.
The big thing the Runner series does differently, and uniquely, is the music sync. Well, that, and the general polish.

If you enjoy rhythm games and runner-style reaction games, snag it, it won't disappoint. It's kind of a middle-ground between them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Feenix posted:

Also, (just bought it) whats the deal with leaderboards? If my speed is constant, all I have to do is get all the items, not die or mess up... to "perfect" a level, so what makes one guy have a better score on a leaderboard than another?

Is there a nuance I may be missing?

Getting the red pluses gives a score multiplier, but you can also dance to gain extra points. You can't do anything else while you dance, so it ends up with me smashing into stuff pretty often.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How does one dance?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Hahaha, the final boss of Sly 4 is literally just a long (and extremely easy) QTE sequence. Great job, Sanzaru! :effort:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Feenix posted:

How does one dance?

Truly a question for the ages...

It's R2.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Today is probably the best PSN update since like FlOwer came out, easily my most anticipated update. Metal Gear DLC and Dead Space Bro Ops DLC. The wait for the store to update is going to be brutal as hell for me, especially if I don't go to sleep.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 12, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Truly a question for the ages...

It's R2.

So many buttons did nothing and then I realized they only become active as you get to the level where it shows you what to do...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Liar Lyre posted:

That's true for a lot of games, but I still buy all the sequels. :shepicide:

The R&C games are specially egregious though, especially going back to play say UYA after TOD. Even the minigames were the same(just not waggle)!

I just don't get recommending right off the bat to someone coming in after the fact to play 3-4 games of a series where it's not really strong storywise and the gameplay is repetetive across all the titles. If you've been playing the series for years, okay, sure, play new ones as they come out, but I don't think it makes sense for someone picking up a PS3 in 2013 to play 3 platformers from 2007-2010 unless they just can't get enough platformer/shooters.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 12, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ive been playing the new Tomb Raider off of a rental and after playing for a while, I still prefer Uncharted over it. While the combat was changed to resemble uncharted much more, it is just too easy. I still think it is a good game, but it kind of sucks that the Tomb Raiding part of it is pretty simplistic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow, Runner 2 gets kind of fiendishly challenging for my old brain after a while.

A lot of memorizing and/or reflexes.

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Ive been playing the new Tomb Raider off of a rental and after playing for a while, I still prefer Uncharted over it. While the combat was changed to resemble uncharted much more, it is just too easy. I still think it is a good game, but it kind of sucks that the Tomb Raiding part of it is pretty simplistic.

I just wrapped up Tomb Raider last night and was left feeling pretty underwhelmed. I enjoyed my time with it, but like you said it is just way too easy. I expected more of a challenge in the optional tombs at the very least, given that they are optional and not required for story progression. Instead, each tomb is just one simple puzzle that takes all of 30 seconds to figure out. Especially when Lara's "instinct" vision highlights all the important elements to solving the puzzle, eliminating the need for any trial and error.

I felt the story kind of sputters and dies about halfway through as well. Didn't really find any of the characters engaging enough to care about. Definitely no one as charismatic as Uncharted's cast. Decent rental, but I'd advise against paying full price.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
Are Amazon PSN codes instantly delivered? I want to pick up a couple of games on that are on sale before the new update goes up but PSN won't accept my card.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Kimoosabi X posted:

I just wrapped up Tomb Raider last night and was left feeling pretty underwhelmed. I enjoyed my time with it, but like you said it is just way too easy. I expected more of a challenge in the optional tombs at the very least, given that they are optional and not required for story progression. Instead, each tomb is just one simple puzzle that takes all of 30 seconds to figure out. Especially when Lara's "instinct" vision highlights all the important elements to solving the puzzle, eliminating the need for any trial and error.

I felt the story kind of sputters and dies about halfway through as well. Didn't really find any of the characters engaging enough to care about. Definitely no one as charismatic as Uncharted's cast. Decent rental, but I'd advise against paying full price.

How quickly did you get through it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Man-In-Madden posted:

Are Amazon PSN codes instantly delivered? I want to pick up a couple of games on that are on sale before the new update goes up but PSN won't accept my card.

They are. As in, 5 seconds after you finish the checkout process.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Man-In-Madden posted:

They are if you buy the ones that are. Be careful. Was a time SOME of them were like, physical cards that some stores mailed you.

But yes, you can buy 20's and 50's usually. Instantly deliverable.

You can also go online now to Sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and pay for credit with your paypal account.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

Feenix posted:

They are if you buy the ones that are. Be careful. Was a time SOME of them were like, physical cards that some stores mailed you.

But yes, you can buy 20's and 50's usually. Instantly deliverable.

You can also go online now to Sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and pay for credit with your paypal account.

Oh, didn't know about the PayPal thing. Guess I know now what to use my spare Paypal credit on. Thanks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I love the new thread title. That was definitely my favorite post in pages and pages.

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

substitute posted:

No in-game clock so I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say around 10 hours? You could probably squeeze a bit more out of it if you're gung-ho about getting all the collectibles. I was at first, but stopped in the last few areas as my interest waned.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

substitute posted:

I grabbed and upgraded everything and I wanna say it took about 15 hours total, maybe a bit more or less. I also hosed around a decent amount though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I love the new thread title. That was definitely my favorite post in pages and pages.

:D

I agree. Whoever stays on top of the choicer quotes (taken in or out of context) is to be commended.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've been really enjoying TR, although I loved all the others too for the most part (and Uncharted). The game's not difficult but I don't didn't really expect it to be - if it used TRI's difficulty model there would just be two kinds of jumps and tons of falls to your death and you would have to manually save every so often or lose progress.

I would love it if they had done that, but I can imagine all the bitching we would have to wade through about "Crystal Dynamics is too stupid to figure out autosave". I've been stuck in the Cistern level for a few weeks in the original and I've forgotten where I was in that level progress-wise, so I either need to restart or retrace my steps. I enjoy it for the puzzle complexity but I can't say I don't enjoy the new TR for omitting it and just saying "let me show you to all the cool things I have to offer, here navigate this". The feeling of turning on the game and immediately progressing to new places instead of saying "alright let's try this boulder sprint to backflip shimmy for the 9th time."

I think they're both great in their own way. It might not be worth $60 to you if you only play through games once though, although I haven't tried the multiplayer. I've heard it's similar to UC3 but slightly less polished, I've already sunk enough time into UC3 MP that I don't want to get addicted to this one too. I'm happy with the $50 steam price though, I'm about 8 hours in and I don't get the sense I'm near the end really.

I would say, old TRs have logic puzzles that typically involve pushing blocks and pulling switches and running through things. The new TR prefers physics puzzles involving weights, smashing things and navigating ledges. The old TRs' combat was a chore with basically one enemy that came in different sizes and skins (that tries to bump into you) and more difficulty just meant faster/does more damage. (with the exception of T-Rex and bosses) The new TR has more fun-oriented combat with basically one enemy that has different weapons and behaviors, but you're frequently placed behind them or near explosive barrels or other environmental sugar that lets Lara feel like a badass with ease. Both have their appeal, but if TRI-3 played like the over-the-shoulder-aim style combat would be trivial/non-existent.

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

I came into the new Tomb Raider fairly fresh.. I played Tomb Raider 1 back in the day and that's about it. The combat is definitely one of the high points for the new game, fun is an apt way to describe it. So I wasn't coming into it looking for anything specific, I really had no bias based on old entries in the franchise or anything like that. In the end I'd say it's a good game, just not a great game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think what Tomb Raider accomplishes is adequate. I find the combat much too simplistic for my tastes but adequate at getting the job done. The puzzles feel like they were ripped out of Half Life 2 however. It has some interesting set pieces. I guess you would enjoy it more if you don't compare it to Uncharted, but that is hard to do since it is obviously inspired by Uncharted.

I am probably the only one who thinks the game would have been much better off if they had just dropped the whole "survivor" angle to start with since it doesn't really seem like it fits the character you play as other than a handful of times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I am probably the only one who thinks the game would have been much better off if they had just dropped the whole "survivor" angle to start with since it doesn't really seem like it fits the character you play as other than a handful of times.

No, most people agree with that, including seemingly the developers.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Does Tomb Raider do that thing where the percentage it states to you on your save game is the percentage where 100% = I finished the game's plot or is 100% meant to be where you collected every item and found every secret?

I got up to (spoilers, sort of?) where I saved Sam and the gang and fought my way out of the burning fortress. It says 43% but it kinda feels like late game. How much more do I have of just the story? I'm trying to power through it before I start God of War...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
100% is everything found, etc. etc.

You've got a fair bit to go.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Drakengard 3 is apparently coming to PS3 :stare:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Drakengard 3: Lair 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

"Zero has a special power called Utautai and flowers grow from her right eye."

"You can use Utautai song powers when you bathe in blood which pushes your fighting power to the limit."

Seems like the new developers "get" Drakengard.

• Locked thread