Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

SkopeDog posted:

Or if at all. I'd be really surprised. It's little more than an aesthetic change and is so far out of their consideration at this point, it'll probably not even make it in the first iteration of the game.

But, BIS does love adding free content after release. Flashpoint got the Kiowa, ArmA got the Warfare upgrade which also included USMC troops and Woodland troops, and ArmA 2 got the Eagle Wing campaign. If they add female troops, they'll be added in post launch via a content pack update.

Flashpoint got at least one new vehicle or weapon in every major patch. That was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MrOnBicycle posted:

Like I said before, why bother with ethnic diversity (and sheer amount of faces to choose from) in the game. Could just have one face with one skin colour. Or one face with multiple colours. After all, it's just aesthetics.
Personally I'm still waiting on an Asian male face, I don't want to be rocking the Scott Miller. :colbert:

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

the black husserl posted:

I dunno if women are really an "aesthetic" but I'm poorly read on Judith Butler. Still seeing as it purports to be a military simulator, accurately simulating the women who serve in the world's militaries would be cool.

Especially since the feminazis that run America will probably have banned men entirely by 2035, leaving us only with madchensoldaten to defend the homeland.

Well, they're probably going to view it as that. BIS has always been pretty utilitarian in this regard. I'm not saying they won't, but I just wouldn't expect it in v1.0. Expect it in the inevitable free content update.

Chortles posted:

Mind you, I remember Eagle Wing basically being both Karel "Gaia" Moricky's personal project and a de facto apology for the severe release bugginess of Arma 2.

By the way, re: "script injection is how missions work"... just found this.

Well, if they're apologizing for bugginess like that, then ArmA 3 should be free to make up for the original ArmA :smuggo:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Like I said before, why bother with ethnic diversity (and sheer amount of faces to choose from) in the game. Could just have one face with one skin colour. Or one face with multiple colours. After all, it's just aesthetics.

I wouldn't object to that at all. No one is really identifies much with the "characters" in these games. They are, for all intents and purposes, emotionless drones made for the express purpose of simulated combat. Almost like Supreme Commander's units. To be clear, I haven't any problem with the presence of female character models, at all. It's just, being a long time fan and consumer of BIS and their products, they approach gameplay from a very utilitarian manner, concerning their efforts almost entirely on the game mechanics and not so much aesthetics and polish. ArmA 3 is a huge departure from that in a lot of ways, so seeing the addition of female models would be something plausible in a content update the game will inevitably get.

SkopeDog fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 12, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Chortles posted:

Note that among the changes was the changing of the Ifrit (RED) classname from "O_Galkin_F" to "O_Ifrit_F", any goon using them in your missions should rename them in your mission.sqm files. Unfortunately, in this build apparently the Helicopter Showcase got hosed up...

Dunno if it's worth mentioning but my performance with that update seemed to greatly increase.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The part that gets my goat is the variety of burqa-wearing female character models included in OA contrasted with the fact that none of them could so much as drive a car. I forgot BIS was based in Saudia Arabia. :rolleyes:

Either all the way in or all the way out.

..That sounds significantly more :pervert: than was intended.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

I agree, I think wendigo are going to be the next big thing. I predict the next big mod will be a highly realistic small town simulator, where by day you work a small manual labor job and get some beers at the local bar, and at night you protect the town from the cannibalistic monsters who seek to devour them all.

I would buy a copy for every friend I have.

Seriously though, I think someone is going to create a completely new game or gametype within the engine that will be even more popular than DayZ.

simosimo posted:

The CHIM debate in The Elder Scrolls, Hat justification in the Awkward & Ugly thread, A 27 year old dude dating a 15 year old in the 'As goons age' GBS thread. Nope we want female soldiers in our shooter! With menstrual cycles too!

It makes me sad when people think it's irrelevant to have women in games. Is is some kind of man's world thing? I don't get it.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 12, 2013

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
This is perhaps the worst derail I've seen in a SA thread yet, carry on goons.

The CHIM debate in The Elder Scrolls, Hat justification in the Awkward & Ugly thread, A 27 year old dude dating a 15 year old in the 'As goons age' GBS thread. Nope we want female soldiers in our shooter! With menstrual cycles too!

That said, I hope that we see a similar trend on user mods when the game finally does release, where 50% of mods strongly feature women.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I don't get why discussing female player models in the game is derailing but eh.

Loving this though, wasteland is very fun (when it's not crashing). I never played it in arma 2. Being an indie running around stealing peoples littlebirds behind their backs is pretty satisfying.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Chortles posted:

Personally I'm still waiting on an Asian male face, I don't want to be rocking the Scott Miller. :colbert:
Do what I do and play as a black dude. You're guaranteed to be the only black dude on the entire server!

SkopeDog posted:

Well, they're probably going to view it as that. BIS has always been pretty utilitarian in this regard. I'm not saying they won't, but I just wouldn't expect it in v1.0. Expect it in the inevitable free content update.
I don't expect BIS to add them at all. :smith:

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

There are going to be women of different races in Day Z, maybe they could steal them from there. If that is possible.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Orv posted:

CHKilroy was definitely using 6DOF in his stream on launch day, and Dyslexci said something about making sure the setting was ticked. :shrug:
Okay, I dicked around in the editor some and worked something out. It looks like there are three issues: First, 6DoF doesn't work in the Ka-60 or whatever that big transport helo is. Second, the left/right axes have a *tiny* range in the littlebird. Third, the front/back and up/down axes are both only half-implemented--there's no 'back' or 'down' bind.

It looks like the littlebird also has a view-independent crosshair, which the Ka-60 doesn't, so I guess their 6DoF support is just WIP.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Women will be added to the game as part of an expansion pack that focusses on sectarian conflict /ethnic cleansing/humanitarian intervention. This is also the pack where realistic injuries and medical gore are implemented. The objective is to simulate the many human rights abuses inherent to low-intensity conflict, such as tactical usage of starvation, disease, rape and economic violence. Maybe also including a crowd mechanic to properly simulate the effects of a terrorist attack or opening fire on a peaceful demonstration. Bethesda will challenge your sensibilities with uncompromising realism as you reprise your role as a child soldier. Take that Bethesda! None of this would be complete without accurate depictions of female anatomy and blood curdling screams.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

VarXX posted:

Dunno if it's worth mentioning but my performance with that update seemed to greatly increase.
I was hearing this too alongside the "seagull" bug, but then they rolled that back (because said bug was affecting stable-build players) before distributing the current dev build.

Still seeing as it purports to be a military simulator,
Please don't indulge the BI forums "milsim" spergs by even feigning to give this line any legitimacy...

Seriously though, I think someone is going to create a completely new game or gametype within the engine that will be even more popular than DayZ.
And the best part is, the milsimmers will rage even harder because that "completely new game or gametype within the engine" won't be the milsim that this engine has been stuck with for the past decade. :rolleyes:

VarXX posted:

It makes me sad when people think it's irrelevant to have women in games. Is is some kind of man's world thing? I don't get it.
It's cool and I'd be in favor, I just don't see it as a "has to be straight-away in the release build" thing, though that may or may not be privilege talking.

Flaky posted:

Women will be added to the game as part of an expansion pack that focusses on sectarian conflict /ethnic cleansing/humanitarian intervention. This is also the pack where realistic injuries and medical gore are implemented. The objective is to simulate the many human rights abuses inherent to low-intensity conflict, such as tactical usage of starvation, disease, rape and economic violence. Maybe also including a crowd mechanic to properly simulate the effects of a terrorist attack or opening fire on a peaceful demonstration. Bethesda will challenge your sensibilities with uncompromising realism as you reprise your role as a child soldier. Take that Bethesda! None of this would be complete without accurate depictions of female anatomy and blood curdling screams.
Sadly this sounds exactly like something a BI forums poster would propose or stick into their community wishlist thread post.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~
I tried the helicopter showcase and while I have fun flying the chopper, can someone point me in the right direction as to how to effectively use the weapons onboard? I have trouble accurately aiming and I'm not sure I understand the HUD reticle.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

With the transport chopper you're basically stuck pulling the trigger and looking for a ground impact, then walking your fire onto your target. Use the minigun impacts as a rough aimpoint for your rockets. You're not sniping dudes, you're making it rain nasty poo poo all over.

(This sucks and they need to implement a floating crosshair that you can see in your helmet mounted display. It should be static and only appear when your HMD is covering the area near the crosshair for extra TrackIR futurey HUD awesome.)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

VarXX posted:

Double Tap Alt next time. Double tapping keys is how you get them to stick in Arma. So like double tapping K will keep the compass on screen, while double tapping alt will put you in mouse look until you double tap again.
The bug is that when you aren't in free look mode, your "centered" view is wrong. So I was stuck looking at my feet in my helicopter unless I double tapped ALT to turn on free look. Once in free look mode, tapping ALT once would correctly center my vision so I could use the helicopter crosshairs.

anuj posted:

I tried the helicopter showcase and while I have fun flying the chopper, can someone point me in the right direction as to how to effectively use the weapons onboard? I have trouble accurately aiming and I'm not sure I understand the HUD reticle.
Press F to switch to your missiles. Press Tab to target a vehicle. Stay 400-600m away or so. Line up your crosshair on the vehicle. A white diamond will fade into view. Shoot your missile. It should hit.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

Nalin posted:

Press F to switch to your missiles. Press Tab to target a vehicle. Stay 400-600m away or so. Line up your crosshair on the vehicle. A white diamond will fade into view. Shoot your missile. It should hit.

Yeah, I just learned this from a youtube vid. Thank you both for the help.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

simosimo posted:

This is perhaps the worst derail I've seen in a SA thread yet, carry on goons.

That said, I hope that we see a similar trend on user mods when the game finally does release, where 50% of mods strongly feature women.

Those are some fairly sweet derails you're remembering.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Nalin posted:

Oh joy "TAB targeting" is back :cripes:

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Do I need to manually download the mod(s) running on a multiplayer server? I'm unable to join a slot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Chortles posted:

Oh joy "TAB targeting" is back :cripes:
I beat the helicopter mission dumbfiring my missiles and doing machine gun strafing runs with a broken view before I figured out you could tab target. I'm glad that it exists.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I saw VTS mentioned earlier, but for anyone looking to get some single player action out of the Alpha, VTS, and Whole Lotta Stratis are your best bets. Not counting the mission editor, of course. But if you don't know how to work it and want to just hop into some action, these missions are the way to go.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Nalin posted:

I beat the helicopter mission dumbfiring my missiles and doing machine gun strafing runs with a broken view before I figured out you could tab target. I'm glad that it exists.
My :cripes: stems from the inevitable calls for Mando Missile ArmA 3... the "ACE" of guided weapons, as it were.

Instrumedley, yeah you'll need to download/setup/enable any required mods beforehand, they don't automatically download with the mission.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
I haven't noticed the game get updated on steam since I've had it and I was wondering if anyone knew if they plan on patching the alpha or if they plan on leaving it as is until the beta?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

dongsweep posted:

I haven't noticed the game get updated on steam since I've had it and I was wondering if anyone knew if they plan on patching the alpha or if they plan on leaving it as is until the beta?
There's a development build that you can opt into through the Betas tab in the alpha's Steam Library properties.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
Now I'm not saying this to participate in the women soldiers debate at all, but rather just to say that the way any playable content is created in ArmA (whether its a singleplayer, multiplayer mission or campaign) makes the whole thing a bit more complicated than just adding a model and animations and so on.

Apart from things like the Civilian and Animal modules that automatically generate stuff, all units (whether it's an enemy dude, vehicle, target, etc) is manually placed on the map by the mission maker. And very specifically so too - you either place each individual soldier with a specific model (or rather type - so AT guy, machine gunner, etc), or a pre-made group of these guys which also consists of specific unit models.

In other words, when you place a guy it's not like the game has a randomized pool of units that it then places, but instead you create the exact model that will appear in the mission. The only thing randomized is the face. This is why all the soldiers in ArmA have the same height as well.

If BIS adds a female soldier model with the current system, they would just be a separate unit category that the mission maker would have to consciously pick. This means that as you are making a mission, you would literally think "Okay so that soldier and that soldier, and a bunch of these guys are all women". And then what would be the ratio for pre-made unit groups? Would you include atleast one female soldier with every group you can plop down?

I think the easiest solution that would appease everyone would be to just create a bunch of female faces that are applied just like any other facial type in the game - african, asian, european, etc and so then any individual player can be a woman in any mission without having to worry whether there is a female player slot available in a mission. The good news is that this option has existed since OFP through a multitude of face mods. Hope this helps explain the situation a bit better.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What you do is have equal probabilities for all the different "combinations". Like "Caucasian female", "Middle eastern male", whatever. When a random AI soldier is spawn, these are put in action. There should of course be a command to override for the sakes of mission making and mission story (like in the campaign). The player profile settings will also override the randomization in the same way that it currently does.

As far as I know this is already how it works, right? If you just put down a random group, these will randomize differently based on if it's BLUFOR / REDFOR. I guess you could argue the probability of Iran having female soldiers, but then again, it's a fictional story, 25-ish years ahead in time, so why not?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Am I missing something with Play withSix mod manager. Ive downloaded Dyslexcis hud mod and the weapon collision mod but I cant seem to get any of them to function in game. I select them in the mod tab, and the box on the right under Arma3's logo turns from black with a cross in to blue, but when I launch they dont show up in game. Am I missing something obvious such as they are multiplayer only?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I haven't used the PWS thingy, just manually added through Steam and they work fine.

Also, everyone should grab this night vision mod to make it full screen.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

What you do is have equal probabilities for all the different "combinations". Like "Caucasian female", "Middle eastern male", whatever. When a random AI soldier is spawn, these are put in action. There should of course be a command to override for the sakes of mission making and mission story (like in the campaign). The player profile settings will also override the randomization in the same way that it currently does.

As far as I know this is already how it works, right? If you just put down a random group, these will randomize differently based on if it's BLUFOR / REDFOR. I guess you could argue the probability of Iran having female soldiers, but then again, it's a fictional story, 25-ish years ahead in time, so why not?

Nope, that was my point - there are no random AI soldiers, atleast not beyond random faces. When you make a mission and place any kind of unit (whether it's an enemy or not), you pick the exact "model" (when I say that I mean a complete unit with a pre-defined loadout, specific animations, exact look, etc) that will appear in game. That's why, for example, you can't just put "a civilian", but have to chose from a list of "Civilian 1", "Civilian 2", "Man 1", "Woman 1", and so on. Now you can have a script like UPS which will randomly populate a designated area and you can set up a specific pool of units that it will generate from, however that is just that - an extra script that you have to set up externally.

For this to work the way it's supposed to, the game would have to have a built-in generator of units. So the way the editor would work is that rather than placing individual or groups of units, you would either mark a zone that the game would populate on it's own, or place "husks" with some basic parameters. That would be quite a major overhaul of the mission editor - that is, if that were to become the default behaviour. Actually now that I mention it, if UPS or something like the ACM module from ArmA2 got fully integrated into the editor and made configurable from within (ie a bunch of sliders in a menu, rather than having to edit poo poo with notepad externally) - that would be really awesome.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Georg LeBoui posted:

Nope, that was my point - there are no random AI soldiers, atleast not beyond random faces. When you make a mission and place any kind of unit (whether it's an enemy or not), you pick the exact "model" (when I say that I mean a complete unit with a pre-defined loadout, specific animations, exact look, etc) that will appear in game.

There are ways to just pick randomly from a pool of specified units, thats what roadblock did on its spawn script.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

deebo posted:

There are ways to just pick randomly from a pool of specified units, thats what roadblock did on its spawn script.

It's what the built in scripts for populating with soldiers/civs do, it's what DAC does, there's various methods for replacing the appearance of placed units with other units. There's nothing you can do in the editor that can't be done by a script at mission start/while the script is running. You're imagining a limitation of the engine that doesn't exist/isn't relevant.

On top of that, A2 and OA had a variety of female civilian models that had to be uniquely and individually placed in the editor/were automatically generated as part of the ambient AI module, and got shot and bloody and died just like every other model. They just couldn't do anything to 'fight back' or exhibit any sort of agency. They were purely burqa-wearing targets.

The argument, the one I'm making rather than the various strawmen, is not "BIS I demand strong female characters and a fully accurate and enriching portrayal of the modern woman" nor is it "BIS I demand rape mechanics and boob jiggle and nude skins", but rather "BIS I would like any female character models you implement to be able to do the full set of actions and animations instead of literally being bipedal deer in dresses."

Edit: I don't give a gently caress about female soldier models, you wouldn't be able to tell, anyway, but the reporter not being able to hold a gun makes Necronemeton kinda suck :(

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 13, 2013

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Georg LeBoui posted:

Nope, that was my point - there are no random AI soldiers, atleast not beyond random faces. When you make a mission and place any kind of unit (whether it's an enemy or not), you pick the exact "model" (when I say that I mean a complete unit with a pre-defined loadout, specific animations, exact look, etc) that will appear in game. That's why, for example, you can't just put "a civilian", but have to chose from a list of "Civilian 1", "Civilian 2", "Man 1", "Woman 1", and so on. Now you can have a script like UPS which will randomly populate a designated area and you can set up a specific pool of units that it will generate from, however that is just that - an extra script that you have to set up externally.

For this to work the way it's supposed to, the game would have to have a built-in generator of units. So the way the editor would work is that rather than placing individual or groups of units, you would either mark a zone that the game would populate on it's own, or place "husks" with some basic parameters. That would be quite a major overhaul of the mission editor - that is, if that were to become the default behaviour. Actually now that I mention it, if UPS or something like the ACM module from ArmA2 got fully integrated into the editor and made configurable from within (ie a bunch of sliders in a menu, rather than having to edit poo poo with notepad externally) - that would be really awesome.

Yes you're right. But that's for civilians. For the random soldier it works like that right? I've never seen a way to choose between them like the civilians. I suspect you can choose between civilians because there are so few that it'd be likely to have duplicates next to each other if it was left to the randomization. Even still, still not something that couldn't be implemented if it wasn't there.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Just to clarify - I'm completely aware of random unit generators (that's why I mentioned ACM and UPS before, and of course DAC which I forgot about), but the way they are implemented is still quite clunky (Arma 3 is better in this regard with the built-in script editor and such, but it's still something that is tweaked externally) and it's not the default behavior of the editor, the same way that randomizing faces is. You still have individual units, and you still need to declare the specific group units that you'd like them to spawn. Meaning you have to tell the random generator that you want these many infantry groups, of this type, and so on. But those scripts work with the same individual models as you do - meaning if it places 5 "riflemen" they will be the same exact identical model with a different face.

For female soldiers to be implemented fairly, they need to be done exactly the same way that faces and glasses are. Meaning, as a player you would select your gender in your profile and that's who you would be when you start a mission, unless overridden by the mission maker. Also, in the config entries for each infantry unit, instead of defining a single model, you would have multiple models that the game would either pick based on your preferences, or just simply at random. This would be fantastic for the game in general - it would also mean you can have soldiers that have different heights, variations on the look, maybe even animation sets! It would mean, for example, that instead of having 30 separate entries for "Zombie" you could just have one unit in the editor that has 30 different models defined in it's config entry.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
If anyone wishes to push back against "milsim" spergs who may be submitting spergy tickets or voting to influence dev attention, once again here is the feedback tracker.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up

Instrumedley posted:

Do I need to manually download the mod(s) running on a multiplayer server? I'm unable to join a slot.

I'm guessing you're on a Thomson router? There seems to be a general gently caress up with those, some can't connect at all while some couldn't click on roles in the lobby. There's a bunch of reports up on the tracker so hopefully it will eventually get fixed. For what it's worth I can confirm that switching to a different router works if you have one laying around.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlNJtYF4z24
ACRE in ARMA 3.
Aw yeah.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ACRE! *sperg woody*

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Dug around in the feedback tracker as a form of extremely nerdspergy procrastination and found a cool graphics suggestion that's apparently been flagged by BI as something they're looking into! The basic gist of it is so simple I'm kind of amazed it's not more widespread. It's about cutting a generic (or even location specific) grass shape out of the character models alpha to break up the silhouette and make prone hiding possible beyond grass render distance - as opposed to sticking out like a sore sharp edged polygonal thumb on a blurry ground texture. Some illustrative images in the links.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148861-Rendering-grass-at-long-distances-My-thoughts-about-it
http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=3505

Hope this gets implemented!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Seems like an excellent idea.