Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Also all are heavily tied to SHIELD so there is a 90% chance there is a LMD of them that could have died.

There's a 90% chance the Fury in the room with them right there is an LMD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TwoPair posted:

There's a 90% chance the Fury in the room with them right there is an LMD

There's a 90% chance that SHIELD is made up almost entirely of Fury LMDs in disguise. Christ, I put it as a non-trivial possibility that everyone reading this is a Fury LMD.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Boogaleeboo posted:

There's a 90% chance that SHIELD is made up almost entirely of Fury LMDs in disguise.

No-one would ever have the stones to do it, and there would be continuity problems due to a bunch of one-off series that depict him before SHIELD (although the Ultimate universe may have a shot...), but I would love to see it revealed that Nick Fury does not exist, and has never existed; it's life-model-decoys all the way down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Breetai posted:

No-one would ever have the stones to do it, and there would be continuity problems due to a bunch of one-off series that depict him before SHIELD (although the Ultimate universe may have a shot...), but I would love to see it revealed that Nick Fury does not exist, and has never existed; it's life-model-decoys all the way down.

Secret Warriors reveals where the first LMDs came from and its kind of disturbing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

Secret Warriors reveals where the first LMDs came from and its kind of disturbing.

And kind of stupid and definitely never going to be referenced again unless Hickman forces the issue in another of his books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

And kind of stupid and definitely never going to be referenced again unless Hickman forces the issue in another of his books.

Well they sort of did due to Max in Secret Avengers and then I am pretty sure that is tech seen in SHIELD

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Invincible #100.

Over the last couple years, Invincible introduced a villain named Dinosaurus. Other than being a super-strong dinosaur man, you can think of him as Dr. Doom without the conqueror/leader aspect. He's a mad genius who wants to help the world, but his plans to do so involve killing millions for the sake of helping billions and he has no moral problems with it. After giving the people of Las Vegas some heads up to escape, he blows up the city despite Invincible's best attempts to stop him. Las Vegas is reduced to miles of glass. As horrible as all of this is and the failure dangling over his head, Invincible does eventually see the point in what Dinosaurus did.

Recently, Invincible has been realizing that the superhero/villain thing isn't as black and white as he had once believed and, as his Nick Fury-like former boss Cecil has shown him, even the villains can be used to help better the world. Rather than just help conserve the status quo like he's always done, Invincible wants to be more proactive and change the world. He comes up with the idea of breaking Dinosaurus out of prison so they can work together. Dinosaurus can come up with ways to improve the world, Invincible would help him out and also keep an eye on him. This turned Invincible into a criminal in the eyes of the law (imagine if Spider-Man broke Doom out of prison and told the authorities, "It's okay, I got this."), but he and Dinosaurus were able to do some good together.

For a little while, Invincible lost his powers due to a virus. Once he was back to normal, he visited Dinosaurus and found out that he was back to his old tricks due to lack of supervision. He caused massive flooding across parts of the world to prevent global warming at the presumed cost of millions of lives. The two fight with Dinosaurus insisting that he's doing this for the right reasons. He seemingly kills Invincible in public, but later reveals it was just a mindless clone. From there, he keeps Invincible in a half-conscious dream state and tells him that it's cool now. Invincible's "dead" and they can keep working together without the weight of his superhero identity holding him back.

Invincible tries to convince him that despite all his superior intellect, he might not be as right as he thinks.

It's not even Dinosaurus realizing that he hosed up that gets me. It's the last page and the feeling of utter failure that's come from Invincible's best intentions.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 16, 2013

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
It's a really great moment that also totally invalidates a lot of what Invincible's been building towards and made me wonder if Kirkman doesn't have the balls to write the character the way he should be written.

Obviously it's an ongoing and things will inevitably change but this is really the first time I've had my faith shaken in his vision for the book.

Of course Dinosaurus "dies" off-panel and we've seen how well on-panel deaths take in this series so I get the feeling Kirkman might be playing a deeper game with this one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Secret Avengers 37: So the team's fighting the "Descendants", who are super-androids. They've unleashed a virus on the world that will convert all life into cyborgs. It'll cure all disease and enhance them (a poor guy yells out to Hawkeye not to stop the virus, because without it, his cancer will kill him within a year) but at the cost of humanity's free will.

Captain Britain is fighting with the original robotic Human Torch (who has been reprogrammed and turned).

Meanwhile on the ground, all Hawkeye has to do to save the day is destroy the Orb of Necromancy, but he's having a real problem with the moral quandary of wiping out an entire new species, and it doesn't help that he's getting infected with the virus and going cyborg.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Woah, Secret Avengers seems pretty good. That may be the first time I've felt Captain Britain had strong, unique, and interesting voice. Art looks gritty but really perfect for that mood.

Has it always been that good? Most of what I've caught about the series was during AvX and was not that interesting.

Also I've been following Invincible since issue 1. Dropped it a few times but always caught back up. I did not think the 100 issue was touching or impact full or interesting. It feels like it has long told whatever character stories are possible out of Mark and his cast. I'm glad to see someone with good taste likes it, though. If its just not for me anymore at least it's till good for someone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chinaman7000 posted:

Woah, Secret Avengers seems pretty good. That may be the first time I've felt Captain Britain had strong, unique, and interesting voice. Art looks gritty but really perfect for that mood.

Has it always been that good? Most of what I've caught about the series was during AvX and was not that interesting.
Remender's run was pretty good throughout, but not as good as his X-Force run.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

The stuff during AvX was easily the low point of Remender's run. I wasn't too keen on Remender's SA after his first issue (and I still really don't like it), but once I got into his very-different-than-Ellis-mode, I got on board once the long plot kicked in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Universal Machine 5

Thanks choobs

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Achewood, May 22-June 7, 2007.

Roast Beef is agonizing about marrying his longtime girlfriend, Molly (one of the few big continuity threads in Achewood). He ducks out of the house to think about whether he should propose, and crowdsource some advice.

If Achewood wasn't free, I would just put the last strip, but fortunately I don't have :filez: to worry about; it works much better with the buildup.

It's a shame Onstad abandoned comics in favor of restaurant reviews. I'd put him up there as one of the greatest comic writers of all time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is from Altavista, an Argentine comic by Fernando Calvi that ran in the monthy comics magazine Fierro from . It's a very strange but very good comic that I could only find translations of the first four issues. No context is really required.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
So in the Facebook Marvel game Hank Pym is currently being offered as the Spec Ops prize. Wasp also recently got released. It made me remember how much I loving hate Hank Pym.

Everyone remembers the issue where Pym hits Jan, melts down in his Avengers trial, and sends in a loving Adamantium robot to beat up the Avengers so he can try to look like a hero and "Save" everyone at the last minute. What people probably don't remember quite as often is the boss way in which Janet handles Pym when he comes crawling back.

You want to see a well written, strong female character in comics? Here it is. Avengers #214.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lobster Johnson at peace

BPRD: King of Fear 2

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

MelvinTheJerk posted:

So in the Facebook Marvel game Hank Pym is currently being offered as the Spec Ops prize. Wasp also recently got released. It made me remember how much I loving hate Hank Pym.

Everyone remembers the issue where Pym hits Jan, melts down in his Avengers trial, and sends in a loving Adamantium robot to beat up the Avengers so he can try to look like a hero and "Save" everyone at the last minute. What people probably don't remember quite as often is the boss way in which Janet handles Pym when he comes crawling back.

You want to see a well written, strong female character in comics? Here it is. Avengers #214.

I love how she goes for a hilariously low-cut dress just to spite him too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From Batman and Robin 18

Bruce is looking through his dead son's things and finds a list of movie recommendations from who I guess has to be Clark Kent.
Especially poignant since I'm pretty sure they'd never met and bonded in the pages of any comic.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
^ Oh, come on, they killed Robin again?!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Teenage Fansub posted:

From Batman and Robin 18
Click for stupid.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DarkCrawler posted:

^ Oh, come on, they killed Robin again?!

If I recall (haven't read it, just about it) it was his clone. The one league of assassins raised and kept. Because there's no way he'll just be the next Robin in 6 weeks.

EDIT: I meant it was his clone that killed him, not that it was his clone that died. Obviously my writing was a little ambiguous

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 19, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

If I recall (haven't read it, just about it) it was his clone. The one league of assassins raised and kept. Because there's no way he'll just be the next Robin in 6 weeks.

No, he was killed by his clone.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011

McCloud posted:

Great contributions, keep it up lads! The theme of todays contribution from me is loss. At the risk of saturating this thread with All-Star Superman 6 (if you haven't read it, what are you waiting for?!) here's another one that always chokes me up.

The Set-up: This takes place before Superman left Smallville. Jonathan "Pa" Kent has hired three guys to help with the harvest (because wants it done the oldfashioned way). Turns out though, that these three guys are Supermen from the future, descendents of Clark Kent, hunting for a chronovore, a being which feeds on time.

SUPERMAN

I know this was way back on the first page, but I really wanted to thank you for putting this up. I know this is going to sound sound corny as all hell, but I had read this way back when this thread first started about a year ago, and I was reading the thread again when I saw that again, and I actually teared up a little bit.

I know that it takes alot of strength to speak at someones funeral because my Grandpa actually died of a heart attack a few months ago, and I requested to be able to go up and say something at his service. I actually spoke because when I read this in the past it reminded me of something -that when the time came I had to tell everyone what he meant to me: about how much he inspired me to try and be the best man I could be in life; and how to give everything I could to help others to make the world a better place. I know its an awful thing to say that a grown man was inspired by a Superman comic book, but when I went up there and told everyone about who he was I felt nothing but pride and strength for him. And even though it was really hard to do, I knew that I had to honour his memory by speaking because thats what he would have wanted. He expected us to be strong that day.

Again, this was a post way back in the past, and when I saw this just now my heart really sank. I figured that you should know that you really helped me out and that you gave me alot of strength that day. Thank you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Electric Slug posted:

I know this was way back on the first page, but I really wanted to thank you for putting this up. I know this is going to sound sound corny as all hell, but I had read this way back when this thread first started about a year ago, and I was reading the thread again when I saw that again, and I actually teared up a little bit.

I know that it takes alot of strength to speak at someones funeral because my Grandpa actually died of a heart attack a few months ago, and I requested to be able to go up and say something at his service. I actually spoke because when I read this in the past it reminded me of something -that when the time came I had to tell everyone what he meant to me: about how much he inspired me to try and be the best man I could be in life; and how to give everything I could to help others to make the world a better place. I know its an awful thing to say that a grown man was inspired by a Superman comic book, but when I went up there and told everyone about who he was I felt nothing but pride and strength for him. And even though it was really hard to do, I knew that I had to honour his memory by speaking because thats what he would have wanted. He expected us to be strong that day.

Again, this was a post way back in the past, and when I saw this just now my heart really sank. I figured that you should know that you really helped me out and that you gave me alot of strength that day. Thank you.

That's really touching, dude, and you have my condolences. You shouldn't be ashamed that something 'silly' inspired you, art and how we react to it is a very personal thing and some art can really help us deal with emotions like these, which is why this thread is good, even if it feels bad a lot of the time.

Also, since you made me look at page 1:

Rhyno posted:

"He looked as if he'd been crying."

I didn't catch it the first time, but Superman can't even bring himself to flat-out lie to Supergirl. "Supergirl is in the past." is technically true. That's such a corny detail, but it's 100% Superman, and it makes the scene that much more genuine.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Electric Slug posted:

I know its an awful thing to say that a grown man was inspired by a Superman comic book...

I respectfully disagree.

Superman is an ideal given form. He is a representation of what everyone should strive to be. He's honest, hard working, faithful, respectful, peaceful, generous, slow to anger, open minded and a lot of other positive things that I can't even list here. Would it be any less embarrassing if you were inspired by Spider-man, and his dedication to always doing what is right, dedication to friends and family, and perhaps most strongly from him, his incredible capacity to fail, but to get over it and do what is necessary, time and time again?

The vast majority of the population of this planet claims to be inspired on how to best live their lives by what the other percentage of the world would consider fictional characters(religion in general). Jesus has stories told about him and his vast array of super powers, villains, acts of kindness and his unbelievable origin story. (I'm not trying to start a religious debate, just making a general point.)

It might take a little explaining, if you really feel the need, but if you were inspired to be a better person, regardless of the source, that can't be anything but a step in the right direction. If you were inspired to dress up brightly and fight crime with your vast array of superpowers, then you can feel embarrassed.

My condolences on your loss

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hell yeah. If you have to look at a character for inspiration, fictional or not, can't really go any better then Superman. The guy has all the means in the world to do whatever he wants, and he just chooses to be a decent human being.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I know I've posted this before but here it is again.

From It's A Bird...

It's one of my favorite comics. It's about how a man is given the chance to write the Superman comic and he uses it as a way to come to terms with the fact he might contract Huntington's and if he has any children he might pass it on to them.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Electric Slug posted:

I am so sorry for your loss, and I know how hard it can be to be strong when you are falling to pieces inside. But you made your grandpa proud that day.
I have no shame in saying Superman has inspired me. Growing up, I didn't exactly have any strong role-models around me. But I had him. And when I read All-star Superman, I got a bit teary eyed. Superman has inspired me to be a better person, and I made this thread hoping that the stuff people would post would inspire others. And it makes me very happy to know that it helped at least one person. It means a lot to me. Thank you.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Surprised no one's beat me to this yet! Action Comics #18 is the end of Grant Morrison's run on the title, and man does it go out with a bang! Anyway, Superman is fighting Vyndktvx, a 5-Dimensional being (like Mr. Mxyzptlk) who can manipulate time and reality and is also currently inhabiting a giant Doomsday robot. Superman is also having to do this after going up against all of his foes from the prior 17 issues and having his powers severely weakened. Really, since the only way to defeat a 5-D being is to trick it into saying its name backwards, and Vyndktvx certainly won't be doing that, it looks like Superman is hosed. Until this happens:

--clipped here for unimportant stuff--

boom (cut a little more)

(Supes saved the astronauts in an earlier issue)

Sorry if this is posting too drat much, but I figured since this page had kind of a "Superman is Great" theme to it, this should really go here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And once again, there's few things more touching or inspiring than Superman. I'm really going to miss Morrison on that book.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If you told me before this that "Superman on a cell phone" would be a perfect way to end a story, I'd laugh in your face. Now I want to know if they're gonna hardback that entire run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

If you told me before this that "Superman on a cell phone" would be a perfect way to end a story, I'd laugh in your face. Now I want to know if they're gonna hardback that entire run.

The second HC has been solicited but there's no way they don't Absolute that poo poo. Gmo is pretty much the only author at DC that you can guarantee an Absolute is coming eventually. I'll harass Bob Wayne about it at the summit next month.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Was I the only one that said my name backwards while reading that page?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Missing Link posted:

No, I don't believe so.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

McSpanky posted:

No, I don't believe so.
I love it when this happens.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Missing Link posted:

I know I said your name backwards when I read that page.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I know I said your name backwards when I read that page.

Parachute account spotted.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
Most of my life I didn't like Superman, save for when I was really young. But as I get older, Superman came to mean so much more to me. Honestly, when you actually GET what Superman is about the thought of world without his stories being told seems like such a sad place. Morrison's run has really had some great emotional points, I still get misty when I read Action #13 (the Krypto issue). And I totally said my name backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea when I was young I didn't like him much because 'oh man he has all the powers who cares', but as I grew up and still kept reading him every once in a while that whole 'we love him because he has all this power but still sees the base ideals of humanity to be the ultimate guiding force even when we ourselves don't' thing really was able to sink in. He's really easy to write off as a dude who just does anything, but you have to look past that for it to really be powerful. I don't know, maybe it was because I was a depressed teenager and all, but that whole thing really touched me in a way my 'oh man Batman's so badass and Spider-Man is nerdy just like me this is awesome' comics didn't.

The world needs Superman, not just in his comics.