Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Best Friends posted:

Best case scenario for this guy, the Al Nusra front never has any violent interplay with America or its allies, and he comes home and is on a first name basis with a wide variety of FBI interrogators, and never flies commercial again. Worst case scenario is he falls on the bad side of his new friends, or someone high up just decides he'd make a good hostage or example for something. Everything in between in the federal justice system deciding they do actually have a problem with him. Or there's always normal old combat with the regime. Always that.

You seem to have neglected to mention the possibility of his being assasinated subject to a targeted killing with a US drone strike. Of course we aren't operating drones in Syria, at least not armed ones, yet. e: I suppose he has to become an anti-US maven for that to happen.

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of al-Nusra

quote:

Al-Nusra helped Turkey capture border gate bombing suspects: Report

New details have emerged about the operation that led to the arrest of five suspects over a series of charges related to last month’s deadly bombing at the Cilvegözü border gate.

Turkish security forces have contacted the armed opposition in Syria, the Free Syrian Army, which controls ‘liberated zones’ to capture the suspects who have escaped to Syria. Their information was sent to al-Nusra Front and al-Faruk Brigades. Fatih Sultan Mehmet Brigade, which is controlling mountainous area in Latakia, a western province of Syria, also informed on the issue, according to Turkish daily Yeni Şafak. Al-Nusra Front has been blacklisted by Washington as a terrorist organization for its deadly suicide attacks.

In line with the information, members of Syrian opposition located the location of suspects in Selme area of Latakia and then notified Turkish authorities. A Turkish special operation team brought suspects to Turkey after crossing the border in a movie-like operation. Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said operations were like a movie on March 11.

Operation paid $35,000

A suspect has also revealed that they were paid $35,000 for the operation, adding that they got orders from Ammid Havvas, a commander of the armored forces in the Syrian army.

“We choose Cilvegözü border gate for being the most important route for the humanitarian aid for the refugees who fled from [Syrian President Bashar] al-Assad. Our purpose was to block the aid and put the blame on the opposition,” the suspect A.B., identified only by his initial, reportedly told to police, daily Radikal reported. He also admitted that they were making preparations for a second attack on the refugee camps in Öncüpınar town of Kilis.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Speaking of al-Nusra

Also interesting to show how Assad is using the typical false flag tactics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Schlieren posted:

You seem to have neglected to mention the possibility of his being assasinated subject to a targeted killing with a US drone strike. Of course we aren't operating drones in Syria, at least not armed ones, yet. e: I suppose he has to become an anti-US maven for that to happen.

I doubt that will happen unless he crosses the line into becoming directly involved in attacks on the US. Right now he's just an idiot who's in much greater danger than he realizes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

Remember that American who started showing up in videos in Syria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ajc_kQ1ac

The Daily Mail has found out more about him, and he's as dumb as he looks.

US Army veteran from the DCU era, and a complete dumbass. I was right on both of my baseless accusations! All your shabiha are going to die with you. :smug: I hope he gets killed in a drone bombing from Obama just to see what the public response will be. How could someone who hasn't been buried in these conflicts their whole life think that JAN and groups like them are the real heroes?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Volkerball posted:

How could someone who hasn't been buried in these conflicts their whole life think that JAN and groups like them are the real heroes?

He has severe moodswings and a plate in his head. That's why he was discharged from the Army in the first place. Mostly I just feel bad for his dad, who seems like he's pretty much just helplessly waiting for his son to get killed.

quote:

'Now he has mood swings and what-not,' he said. 'He was already suffering from depression before that, and the accident just kind of multiplied it,' the elder Mr Harroun said he frequently talks to his son by phone. He said he doesn't agree with what Eric is doing but can't get him to stop.

Harroun's father said he fears for his son's safety and has little doubt that he will lose him battles abroad.
'I know one day I'm going to get a message from over there, telling me my son is dead,' he said.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kaal posted:

He has severe moodswings and a plate in his head. That's why he was discharged from the Army in the first place. Mostly I just feel bad for his dad, who seems like he's pretty much just helplessly waiting for his son to get killed.

I was wondering what happened to that guy. So he wants to be the next Adam Gadahn huh? Yeah, drop a bomb on him.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I don't know, is there any evidence Jabhat al-Nusra has any global aspirations?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Charliegrs posted:

I was wondering what happened to that guy. So he wants to be the next Adam Gadahn huh? Yeah, drop a bomb on him.

JAN is Al-Qaeda, but they aren't currently fighting against American interests. Until Eric Harroun actually starts opposing the US, he's no Adam Gadahn and there's no reason to kill or arrest him. He's not doing anything illegal and he's not an enemy of the state.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

Not that I know of, but the brutal executions of prisoners, burning down of mosques, and all the other generally lovely salafist behavior that has everyone worried about sectarian violence following the fall of Assad you'd think would be a deterrent towards joining them. Few, if any of the "moderate" opposition groups have their hands clean in that regard, but most Western news, and the videos I've seen all seem to suggest that JAN are easily the most destabilizing figure in the region behind the Army. Of course, that's not conclusive at all, but all the same. The only way I could see it is if one was trying to join the most militarily competent group just to basically gently caress poo poo up without thinking twice about it. JAN seems to fit that MO.

Edit: Oh the drone thing. I'd imagine JAN is going to be pretty wrapped up in Syria for the next couple years. I don't think they really have THAT many guys either. Somewhere in the 10k range was the last I'd heard. They'd have to really step on the throttle to justify preemptive strikes.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 12, 2013

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Xandu posted:

Well that is sort of the million dollar question. But since one of the overall goals of fundamentalist jihadists is a re-establishment of the caliphate that would pretty much mean they would have to move on from Syria when the war is over. I don't know if its as coordinated as "Hey guys, now that we are done with Assad and established Shariah law, lets all move to Jordan now and continue the resistance!" It appears as though Jihadists tend to appear once a conflict has already started. The civil wars seem to be started by nationalists who want freedom (like Libya) and the Jihadists appear later. The Iraq insurgency is generally believed to have been started by Iraqis, but foreign Jihadists soon started pouring in. And in all of these places they pick up new recruits, some of whom go on to the next conflict. Like how some of the Syrian rebels are veterans of the Iraq war.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Well that is sort of the million dollar question. But since one of the overall goals of fundamentalist jihadists is a re-establishment of the caliphate that would pretty much mean they would have to move on from Syria when the war is over. I don't know if its as coordinated as "Hey guys, now that we are done with Assad and established Shariah law, lets all move to Jordan now and continue the resistance!" It appears as though Jihadists tend to appear once a conflict has already started. The civil wars seem to be started by nationalists who want freedom (like Libya) and the Jihadists appear later. The Iraq insurgency is generally believed to have been started by Iraqis, but foreign Jihadists soon started pouring in. And in all of these places they pick up new recruits, some of whom go on to the next conflict. Like how some of the Syrian rebels are veterans of the Iraq war.

Yeah, there's definitely some truth to that. There will be far more permanently radicalized jihadists as a result of this. I've always liked Hegghammer's categorization of various Islamist groups,

Where with the socio-revolutionaries, you've got groups fighting against what they see as an illegitimate Muslim power, compared to the Umma-oriented violent pan-Islamists, which "fight to defend the entire Muslim nation and its territories from non-Muslim aggression. Among these, classical jihadists will fight conventionally in local conflict zones, while global jihadists fight the West with all means in all places." And then within Syria, you have to consider which groups can be considered purely sectarian.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's from a study on just Saudi Arabian muslims, not all branches of Islam worldwide.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/ahmadinejad-image-hug-chavez-mother-photoshop-133036230.html

It's a pretty funny read all things involved, doubly so because of Iran's history of photoshop fiascos.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I know, but I think the categorization is applicable to the whole movement. Particularly the classic vs global jihadism.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
Just watched the BBC2 doc on Syria that was aired yesterday. Definitely a good watch, with some solid historical perspective as well.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is getting everyone talking on Twitter, an Israeli mortar round found in Homs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQHT4jptJ9Y

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Private Speech posted:

Ehh, it's not that bad. Sure there's a lot of corruption and human rights might not be respected as much as in western europe (and even this isn't really so bad in most of the countries), but the general society is far more free and open. To the point where things are not necessarily all that different from the western countries in the first place. A lot of the general 'shoddiness' of the place has to do with old infrastructure that takes decades to rebuild.

Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland didn't seem to have many issues, and they all started in a similar position.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Can't speak for the others, but Poland seems to have gotten lucky in the transition - the guys who scooped up the privatization of the state (Jan Kulczyk, looking at you) were actually interested in advancing things rather than running them into the ground for a quick kleptocratic profit.

Or at least that's the impression I got flipping through the shock doctrine craziness as a side note to some research on the country's infrastructure.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I've read that a lot of people felt betrayed by having the promise and struggle of free unions get replaced with neo-liberal poo poo. Some have also argued that unemployment has only gone down recently thanks to Eurozone flight of youths and suicide.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Can't speak for the others, but Poland seems to have gotten lucky in the transition - the guys who scooped up the privatization of the state (Jan Kulczyk, looking at you) were actually interested in advancing things rather than running them into the ground for a quick kleptocratic profit.

Or at least that's the impression I got flipping through the shock doctrine craziness as a side note to some research on the country's infrastructure.

Yep, the way I see it is that some of the Eastern Bloc countries went the route of development and advancement (Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Rep), and others went the route of "gently caress you got mine!" (i.e. Romania, Bulgaria and the Ukraine)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SilentD posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/ahmadinejad-image-hug-chavez-mother-photoshop-133036230.html

It's a pretty funny read all things involved, doubly so because of Iran's history of photoshop fiascos.

This will be hilarious if this is what finally undoes his administration in the upcoming elections.

And he tried so hard to get those votes after the fake airplane thing.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Young Freud posted:

This will be hilarious if this is what finally undoes his administration in the upcoming elections.

And he tried so hard to get those votes after the fake airplane thing.
From what I understand, he's been pretty much a lame duck for some time now. He made some moves to assert himself against the clerics and was slapped down. Ironic that American media focuses so singularly on him as a great evil when he's no longer even a primary actor in the state, not to mention actually professing willingness to negotiate above what the Ayatollah has authorized.

The elections should prove interesting.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

This is getting everyone talking on Twitter, an Israeli mortar round found in Homs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQHT4jptJ9Y

This is interesting. They say that it and many others were captured from the signal base although they don't say which base in particular.

Also interesting is how the Syrian regime has turned all Jihadi. Bouti, a prominent cleric has called for Jihad, the Supreme Iftaa Council has called for everybody to partake in defending the homeland. This comes at a time when general mobilization is declared, then withdrawn. This sudden pivot in Syrian media from emphasizing secularism and liberty to a rhetoric with a lot of Islamist innuendo in it is strange, to say the least.

Martyrs of Chavez Brigade for Secular Jihad in the Levant

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

This has got to be a loving joke. They photoshopped beards on to Hugo Chavez and Bashir Assad and then photoshopped hijabs on to Assad's all-women counterinsurgency detail.

Also, there's a Rage Comic face on there. What the gently caress is going on?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Young Freud posted:

This has got to be a loving joke. They photoshopped beards on to Hugo Chavez and Bashir Assad and then photoshopped hijabs on to Assad's all-women counterinsurgency detail.

It is a joke.

EDIT: Facebook is full of Syrian parody pages. Riots in the UK? A whole ecosystem of parody pages appears. Including 'pro-queen' pages and a parody pro-revolution news agency. There are also pages for the Indian Revolution against Mahmotan Singh and the Jahiliya Revolution. Most active of course is the famous Chinese Revolution page, which has spawned various various tank-washes and garages around Syria.

Muffiner fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 13, 2013

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

The "take beeeeeeeer" thrown around in a bunch of the posts didn't tip you off? ;)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is worth a read, looking at two videos that show the same incident from both sides of the battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn1NWU3nGQc&t=327s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxm2bbU9V1M&t=45s

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
And somehow both sides manage to miss the footage of the tank attack completely.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

This is worth a read, looking at two videos that show the same incident from both sides of the battle

drat, that place is bombed the gently caress out. Also, further proof that tanks in an urban area (or the remnants of one...) are little more than giant targets.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Brown Moses posted:

Good grief. I think I'd throw that sucker in reverse and distance myself from that mess.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

redscare posted:

drat, that place is bombed the gently caress out. Also, further proof that tanks in an urban area (or the remnants of one...) are little more than giant targets.

Tanks in an urban area are significant force multipliers, but they need infantry support and clear ROEs. If you just drive a tank column into a residential area with suspected insurgents, they're going to get hit before they can react.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

The few RPG29s that were used by Iraqi insurgents against coalition tanks are believed to have come from Syria (or Iran). The RPG29s being used by Syrian rebels are probably from looted regime stockpiles. So its interesting to see Assad getting a dose of his own medicine.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brown Moses posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxm2bbU9V1M&t=60s

Huh. That's pretty remarkable.

I wonder how many people the Syrian government has analyzing these sorts of videos? The 'documentation of war' must be a goldmine for intelligence services. (And the video-taped war crimes, like those posted earlier, will be a goldmine for post-war courts.)

e: this is probably being far too optimistic about the state of the country post-war, of course.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Rage Comics and Trollfaces are really popular in the arab world.

There was one recently with a picture of an attractive female IDF soldier with the text

"A Saudi asked his sheikh: If we free Palestine can we have sex with their soldiers? The Sheikh replies: If you free Palestine you can have sex with me (trollface goes here)"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

And somehow both sides manage to miss the footage of the tank attack completely.

The only thing they missed was the projectile hitting the tank. Everything up to the rocket being fired was captured (the camera was knocked down by the backwash) and the immediate aftermath was captured in both.

Coincidentally it'd been maintained by many people that the T-72/80 series being prone to explosion or spectacular propellant fires and consequently losing their turret after being struck was a myth to discredit Russian tank designs. Previously most video evidence of it happening came from videos of western tests against combat loaded vehicles, which had spawned claims that the tanks had been filled with explosives or whatever to fake a more spectacular result. Apparently not so much.

Edit: Also not really a surprise the place is bombed out. The tanks in the video kept up a pretty high rate of fire and didn't really seem to be providing support fire or attacking identified combatants so much as roving around popping shots into any structure they figured might contain people.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 14, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, the country’s largest Islamist movement, criticized a United Nations report that aimed to end violence against women and girls, saying it violates principles of Islamic law.

The Brotherhood, the movement from which Egypt’s President Mohamed Mursi hails, sent a 10-point critique of a document drafted at a meeting of the UN Commission on the Status of Women in New York. The text is due to be formally adopted when the session ends tomorrow.“The Muslim Brotherhood calls on leaders of Islamic countries, their foreign ministers and representatives in the United Nations to reject and condemn this document,” the group said statement. It urged the UN “to rise up to the high morals and principles of family relations prescribed by Islam.”

The growing power of the Brotherhood since the overthrow of Hosni Mubarak in 2011 has raised concerns Egypt may adopt religiously motivated laws that would curtail freedoms, especially for women and Christians. Persistent protests against Mursi and the Brotherhood have frequently erupted into violence, eroding political stability and hopes of reviving an economy suffering from the flight of tourists and investors.

While the Brotherhood’s response to the UN document “doesn’t represent a shift in policy” from the Mubarak era, “it will still hurt Egypt’s image,” said Karim El Assir, an analyst at the Signet Institute, a research center in Cairo.

‘Deceptive’ Theme

“It backs up fears that the Muslim Brotherhood is more conservative and more Islamist, which is also associated with more conservative values on women’s rights,” El Assir said.
The primary theme of the commission’s 57th session was the “elimination and prevention of all forms of violence against women and girls.”

The Brotherhood described the theme of the conference as “deceptive,” saying it violated Islamic principles. The UN document seeks to destroy the family institution, which Egypt’s constitution confirmed as the basis of society, the group said.

Among the 10 points the Brotherhood said it opposed were resolutions to ensure women’s rights to complain of marital rape; promote equal inheritance rights and equal rights between men and women within the family; and allow Muslim women to marry non-Muslims. It also criticized recommendations to abolish the need for male permission for travel, work or use contraception.

Sexual Assault

The Brotherhood also criticized what it said were UN recommendations to give a woman the right to choose the gender of her partner, raise the marriage age and legalize abortion.

Increased rape and sexual harassment of women in public locations in recent months led Michelle Bachelet, the top UN official for gender equality, to express “deep concern” in a January statement.

Volunteer groups in Cairo that seek to protect women protesters reported 29 assaults in Tahrir Square on Jan. 25, when thousands rallied to mark the second anniversary of the uprising against Mubarak.
The state-run National Council for Women is drafting legislation to criminalize sexual harassment and assault. A 2008 study by the Egyptian Center for Women’s Rights said 62 percent of men acknowledged sexually harassing women, and 53 percent said women who are subject to harassment “bring it on.”

The council, which is participating in the New York conference, said on its website today that the Brotherhood’s comments are “baseless.” The document is still under discussion and the argument that it violates the principles of Islamic law is “deceptive” and a misuse of religion to settle scores with the UN and limit women’s rights, it said.

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter in October said Egypt’s transition to democracy will be in part measured by the status of women in the nation.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Had to rub my eyes for a moment and make sure I didn't wander into one of the Tea Party threads.

quote:

are little more than giant targets.

Without solid infantry support tanks in an urban setting are completely worthless.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is the kind of positive thinking terrible civil wars often lack:

quote:

Success of Chinese Missiles in Syria To Boost Image of Country’s Weapons, Paper Says

Chinese-made missiles have been used to shoot down two Syrian army helicopters, state media reported Thursday, adding that their performance could boost the international sales appeal of Chinese weapons.

The Global Times, a tabloid with close links to the ruling Communist Party, said a pair of videos posted on the Internet by Free Syrian Army rebels showed two Mi-8/17 helicopters being shot down by Chinese shoulder-launched missiles. The paper said it was not known how the rebels, who have been fighting to topple the Syrian government of President Bashar al-Assad for the past two years, obtained the missiles.

But it said the success of the FN-6 weapons, which it said were developed by China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation, could lift the overall image of China’s defense products.

“In regards to export prospects, Chinese weapons need to engage in more conflicts to prove their value,” Daniel Tong, identified as the founder of the Chinese Military Aviation website, told the newspaper. “The kills are proof that the FN-6 is reliable and user-friendly, because rebel fighters are generally not well-trained in operating missile systems,” he added.

Chinese weapons have not been tested in battle to the same extent as those built by the United States and Russia, and publicity surrounding the shootdowns will raise the profile of China’s air defense products, the paper cited him as saying.

But he lamented the loss of life in the conflict and said, “Any bloodshed is regrettable.”

The Global Times said Chinese missiles have shot down targets in several other conflicts, though it added that the Syrian conflict is the first time such a success has been recorded on video.

China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation refused to comment on the report when contacted by AFP.

Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a regular briefing that she had not seen it.

China and Russia, both members of the U.N. Security Council, have joined together to block resolutions that would have introduced sanctions against Assad’s regime. At a news conference Saturday, Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi said only “dialogue and negotiations” could end the Syrian war and that China was “distressed and concerned” over the “bleeding and suffering” of Syria’s people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

This is the kind of positive thinking terrible civil wars often lack:

This really makes me wonder if possibly the Chinese secretly gave a small amount of the FN-6s to the rebels to see how the missiles perform in combat? I know that seems extremely far fetched considering China is on Assads side (officially anyway) but perhaps they don't really expect him to win so they figure giving a few MANPADs to the rebels isn't going to drastically alter the war's outcome and ,like the article says, if the world knows that Chinese MANPADs work well then they might get new customers for them.

• Locked thread