Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
You'd also need to convert your old map to the new format, as at that point I still think you have the Farlands and that was on the old map format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
So, animated textures are pretty cool. Just remember that your gentle amber waves of grain might be whipping their hair back and forth if you forget to set the animation speed.

I also wound up with "glinting" ores that pulsated like they were radioactive. Which, admittedly, did look kind of neat in its own way.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Could go to bukkit, figure out WHERE they are, and just use WorldEdit to regen the chunks with them, maybe copy and paste the top 10 layers of ground so it isn't obvious.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Soooo...wait for 1.5.1?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

eh4 posted:

Soooo...wait for 1.5.1?
Always.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Thanks for the advice. I think copying the chunks with our stuff in to a new map is probably the best. The original spawn hasn't been used in over a year and there's a ton of dead map that people just went exploring in that needs to go anyway. It's 12 gig at the moment and only a tiny bit of that is getting used.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Eurogamer posted:

Subscription service Minecraft Realms will let you host worlds online for friends

There's a Minecraft subscription service on the cards.

Dubbed Minecraft Realms, it will let you pay to own an online Minecraft world (on PC or mobile) that your friends can join free of charge. The monthly fee, reported GamesIndustry International, will be between $10 and $15.

Hosting an online Minecraft world at the moment is a tricky business. You need to run Minecraft server code on a computer, which other computers connect to. This requires strong internet capabilities, strong processing power and relatively strong computer know-how. It's not for everyone.

That's why a cottage industry of third-party Minecraft servers has sprung up. Minecraft Realms is a way for Mojang to bring that industry in house and make money from it.

The benefits of private, controlled servers will be particularly felt by parents, according to Mojang CEO Carl Manneh. One person can subscribe, set up a secure world and have their children and their children's friends connect free of charge. And schools could do the same sort of thing. Or, a group of friends could share a Realms sub and have their own world.

The slightly greedy side to this - what sounds like a nice and needed service - is that Mojang stands to make loads of money from it. In fact, Carl Manneh thinks Minecraft Realms will be "the biggest source of income in the future, and bring in more money in total than the game itself".

Notch personally earned $101 million (~£64 million) from Minecraft sales in 2012. The game itself sold more than 15 million copies across all platforms last year. When Manneh says Minecraft Realms can make even more money, he's talking big bucks.

"We have never tried to sell anything except the game and a little merchandise," Carl Manneh acknowledged. "It'll be very interesting to see if the community will be prepared to pay for this service."

If they do and Realms takes off, "Then really Minecraft would become a huge MMO, a really vast universe consisting of very many small worlds," said Manneh. "That's kind of a dream we've had for a while."

Minecraft Realms is in alpha on PC, with a beta planned for May. When asked about the scale of the Minecraft Realms operation and whether 100,000 servers would satisfy demand, Mojang's chief architect Daniel Frisk replied: "Oh, we believe many more than that."

Dan Frisk also tweeted to say that, "Minecraft Realms isn't built for huge public servers. The sweetspot is a group of invited friends or as a family server."

The Pocket Edition (mobile) of Minecraft Realms is currently behind its PC counterpart but could enter beta at the same time due to its relative simplicity.

Multiplay will host Minecraft Realms on PC; Amazon will host Minecraft Realms on mobile.

Meanwhile, Minecraft PC has received the Redstone Update version 1.5. Here's a bamboozling video summarising all that's inside.
Source

Considering how well Mojang manages the login servers, I can't see how this would end badly:v:

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
It took me way too long to figure out you have to be one block above/below the placement of where you put the dropper if you want to move stuff up/down. At the same time, it feels way easier than older redstone stuff. I've already made a dropper chain that goes over, up, down, and into a chest! Hoppers were a lot more fun to figure out too.

Sadly I still have no idea what comparators can do for me.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Iacen posted:

Source

Considering how well Mojang manages the login servers, I can't see how this would end badly:v:

I have all kinds of bad feelings about this. Smells like Minecraft Premium.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Plastik posted:

I have all kinds of bad feelings about this. Smells like Minecraft Premium.

It doesn't smell like that at all. It's just a Mojang-run server service.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I don't know why they're calling it a subscription fee at all; is that Eurogamer's wording or Mojang's?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

I see someone didn't read the part of the article where Mojang said they wanted to make it into an MMO. It's okay, we'll all wait for you to finish reading the thing you've already begun discussing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Minecraft is already an MMO though?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Plastik posted:

I see someone didn't read the part of the article where Mojang said they wanted to make it into an MMO. It's okay, we'll all wait for you to finish reading the thing you've already begun discussing.

They want to maybe link worlds they're hosting together. That's all they've said about that. It wouldn't automatically transform it into an MMO as you think of them, and honestly would be a cool feature.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

Yeah I don't know why they're calling it a subscription fee at all; is that Eurogamer's wording or Mojang's?

I pay a subscription fee to run my personal Minecraft server. It's called a monthly bill. Don't get hung up on the wording.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Fishylungs posted:

Sadly I still have no idea what comparators can do for me.

They can detect the number of items in a container, or just if something got moved into a container. Like say you have a chest you keep your farmed food in, you can set it up so it plays a song, turns on a light, shoots fireworks, or just explodes whenever you fill it up. A full container will put out a redstone signal of 15, one item will only output a length of one, how many items it takes to increase the length of the signal depends on the container.
Or you can use it detecting a single item to create an item elevator. Considering you made a dropper go up, I'm assuming you're powering it with a redstone clock or manually? With comparators you can have it so redstone only fires if there is something in the dropper, so you can move items from bedrock to the sky limit if you wanted.

I made a loop of hoppers and droppers for my potato farm, as items move into the hopper with the comparator, each time the signal length increases it uses bonemeal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_kOo-dxh1o&t=657s
I did have to move the redstone signal freezing the items from the top right to the middle though, there's a new bug where a dropper can't move an item up into a container that currently has a redstone signal. I assume it's a bug because any other direction is fine.

Honestly the hoppers and droppers wouldn't be nearly as neat without the comparators.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
So a friend of mine recently picked up Minecraft and we've been playing and figuring out the Tekkit-Voltz combo whatever it is with the launcher. This is all fun, but I'm sure that once we build all the weird nuclear reactors and force fields once, it'll get boring. Are there any suggestions for good adventure maps out there, or a place to see the good ones?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Fnoigy posted:

So a friend of mine recently picked up Minecraft and we've been playing and figuring out the Tekkit-Voltz combo whatever it is with the launcher. This is all fun, but I'm sure that once we build all the weird nuclear reactors and force fields once, it'll get boring. Are there any suggestions for good adventure maps out there, or a place to see the good ones?

Herobrines mansion is pretty good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone have that really old video from when lava was updated to set things on fire and it burned someone's house down halfway through their tour?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Is it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

I think that was the video that made me buy Minecraft in the first place.

Edit: Probably not. This one is flint and tinder, my bad.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

xanthan posted:

1.5 broke it, unfortunately. :(

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

eh4 posted:

Soooo...wait for 1.5.1?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That bug was introduced and has been known by the devs since redstone blocks were introduced.

They don't seem interested in fixing it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The little pause before looking up at the stuck piston just makes this. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Christ, i can actually hear the sound effects playing in my head when i watch that. :cripes:

Time for a long break.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iacen posted:

Source

Well, it sounds like it's not gonna be them doing the actual hosting; they're gonna contract it out to Multiplay. So that's something.

Hopefully they'll task out all the admin to them rather than just use their hardware and manage it themselves.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 14, 2013

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

That bug was introduced and has been known by the devs since redstone blocks were introduced.

They don't seem interested in fixing it.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's been in as long as pistons have. If you move any block up and it gets redstone power the piston will stay up like that.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Currently my greatest work in Minecraft.

Texture pack is Painterly. That reminds me, has Kas got Painterly updated for the new version yet?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
My friends and I had delayed travelling to the nether on our private server until 1.5 came out. Yesterday I built the first nether portal. When I emerged on the other side, a nether fortress was staring me in the face :woop:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

xanthan posted:

It's also annoyingly hard. You'll fight a boss, but you'll inevitably die... and respawn in the same room. So, it just ends up being a bother. Sucks, because it was INCREDIBLY good aside from that. Really well-done.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

My friends and I had delayed travelling to the nether on our private server until 1.5 came out. Yesterday I built the first nether portal. When I emerged on the other side, a nether fortress was staring me in the face :woop:

Yep, My portal exited directly to the hallway of a giant nether fortress under ground. 180 blocks or so of hallways to get out. Also, SCREW wither skeletons. Good thing though, I have two blaze spawners within 130 blocks of my portal.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's also annoyingly hard. You'll fight a boss, but you'll inevitably die... and respawn in the same room. So, it just ends up being a bother. Sucks, because it was INCREDIBLY good aside from that. Really well-done.

How else could they have handled it though to make it better?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Presumably, they'd introduce some sort of antechamber before the boss room that you'd respawn in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

When I say it's hard, I mean that it takes a good 75 hits to kill a boss, even with diamond-enchanted sword, while you're being constantly one-shotted.

Whooo.

Fun.

Edit: And you restart either in or right outside the boss room. What's the point? You can't ultimately fail, because the boss's health is persistent, so... Really easy to die, but you eventually beat him. It's just stupid and frustrating.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 15, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Network Pesci posted:

Currently my greatest work in Minecraft.

Texture pack is Painterly. That reminds me, has Kas got Painterly updated for the new version yet?

Yup! It's the default when you go to the painterly site.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

When I say it's hard, I mean that it takes a good 75 hits to kill a boss, even with diamond-enchanted sword, while you're being constantly one-shotted.

Whooo.

Fun.

The ridiculous amounts of health that all of Hypixel's bosses have is just frustrating and not at all fun. Sitting in the same spot mashing mouse1 over and over for a few minutes straight until the boss dies makes the already tedious MC combat unbearable.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Oh my god, it feels so good to empty out an entire chest of redstone dust and turn it into a single row of redstone blocks.

Tomorrow I'll have to redo my entire storage room and built some trapped chest to compact my storage/create more categories. Maybe I'll even go to the Nether and see if I can find some quartz.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Is there anyway for scoreboard to show the amount of items a player has? Like how much gold a certain person is holding. I can get a dummy objective running but I don't know how it can keep track of something like that.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Wait there's a score board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

xanthan posted:

Wait there's a score board?

It was added in the 1.5 update. You can also show it above the players head or in the tab screen in multiplayer.