Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I have buildings being abandoned due to commute times, and they're adjacent to bus stops, which are being used to like 15% of their current capacity. Is there a way to make mass transit more attractive to the population? They sure as gently caress love taking the train, but for some reason people in apartment buildings are allergic to buses.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Are your sims rich, cause they hate buses, if they're try with subway.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, I think I might have to just upgrade to subways. Either their destinations are so far away that they don't want to bother with the bus, or they're secretly mostly rich and just refuse to use it. It seems a little silly to be making underground trains for a city of 70,000, but whatever.

aethyr
Mar 2, 2013

hecko posted:

I'm gonna try it too but look at that dependencies list!

I already setup all the Arden dependencies, uploaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gv310jxljhrcded/ARDEN%20DEPENDENCIES.7z

aethyr fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 13, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Giggily posted:

Yeah, I think I might have to just upgrade to subways. Either their destinations are so far away that they don't want to bother with the bus, or they're secretly mostly rich and just refuse to use it. It seems a little silly to be making underground trains for a city of 70,000, but whatever.

Care to post more pictures, and did you modify the mass transit usage in NAM?

The R$$$ sims use only betweeen 10-20% of mass transit, the 80% will be cars trips.

Tetracell
Feb 16, 2008
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.
Is it ok to use both the old fashioned pack and GrandFromage / Godlesscommie's together? I don't know if they contain anything that the other might, and if so would that cause a problem? At the moment I only have Oldfashioned installed, with Roadtop Mass Transit and that garbage off the side of the world mod.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Just started playing this game after years away, grabbed the Old Fashioned pack and started playing and I am sort of overwhelmed by all the things the mod adds. It adds tons and tons of buildings and some of them seem really good compared to the vanilla ones, almost unbalanced. Am I wrong?

Also I have no idea what new complex systems the plugins have added, like what is this civic farm census building? And jesus every few days I get sims asking for a new church of some sort. It's all very bewildering, I have to admit. Is there a place I can look this stuff up.

Also I can't get sound to work for whatever reason.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Fewd posted:

Does anyone have an idea why a custom region ala Fhuzo from the OP can cause crashes?

Apparently my crashes came out of Fhuzo. If I start the game and begin building on that region somewhere, I get instant CTDs. However, if I load some stock region which came with the game, I can build on those just fine. And if I build on a stock region, afterwards I can load up Fhuzo and build there without a crash.

:whoptc:

I meant to post this days ago, but if anyone is having issues with the Fhuzo region, for example a Crash-to-Desktop directly after attempting to place a bridge or zone an area, and specifically if you aren't seeing any trees when you load a city tile, it's because you are missing the Pacific Northwest Tree mod or one of it's dependencies. The Old Fashioned Pack does contain this mod, but not in a form that makes it easy to extract just those files.

So for everyone who wants to use that region but is experiencing crashes, you absolutely must have this mod to use the Fhuzo region. Probably worth mentioning in the OP.

Also note that the region was rendered using Lowkee's Terrain mods, if you want your cities to look the same way they look in the region view.

E: Or just use this

Schorsch posted:

Turns out, I had a backup.

Looks like poo poo but is rendered without any plugins. I forgot to do some smoothing on a few coasts, too.

Download this and extract it into your Regions folder, rename as you see fit: http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/FhuzoNoPlugins.zip

e: oh and there's no heightmap, it only came with a SC4M file to load into Mapper or Terraformer.

I'll just go ahead and write up a guide on importing maps in SC4 too;

There are primarily two different types of map:
1. A config.bmp image and a greyscale render image
2. A pre-rendered region folder, containing many .sc4 and .png city files. such as Fhuzo

In the second case, all you need to do is drop the region folder into your /Documents/Simcity 4/Regions folder and play.

In the case of the former, you need to create a new folder named after the region name, place both the greyscale image and config.bmp file inside of it, load up SC4, hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R, select the greyscale image and wait. It will take anywhere from 5-30 minutes to fully render the region, so go and grab a drink while you wait.

Giggily posted:

What are you doing outside of the Planetside 2 thread Giggily! The unwashed masses there cannot succeed without your glorious lasher sperm to light their way. And to answer your question either hang all of the snobbish nobles infesting your city and replace them with proud working class citizens or use NAM and activate the European mass transit usage preset in the configuration tool that comes with it.

Literal Hamster fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 13, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
KillHour, I wanna try that Alanuk map but it needs this terrain mod. If I recall correctly, your pack already had graphics things in it. Is it going to break everything if I drop that terrain mod in there? :ohdear:

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
What can lead to huge drops in residential demand? I had a city going really strong, then around 120k pop they started flipping out about education even though I had decent coverage, and the residential demand dropped to like negative 75%. I'm running at like a $9k deficit. Is there anything I can do to get back in the green and retain population short of razing half the city/infrastructure? What can I do in surrounding regions to help? I have NAM if it makes a difference.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

causticBeet posted:

What can lead to huge drops in residential demand? I had a city going really strong, then around 120k pop they started flipping out about education even though I had decent coverage, and the residential demand dropped to like negative 75%. I'm running at like a $9k deficit. Is there anything I can do to get back in the green and retain population short of razing half the city/infrastructure? What can I do in surrounding regions to help? I have NAM if it makes a difference.

It sounds like you have a serious problem with not being a tyrannical dictator. I'm actually serious, if your goal is pure growth and nothing else, then giving your city fancy things like healthcare, education and even water is a bad idea. For example, I have a large city tile that I absolutely covered in low-density/low-income housing. It has no education, health-care, police protection or even fire coverage whatsoever. The only reason it even has parks is because you need them to bust residential demand caps, and even then I place them next to my highways to prevent any desirability from encouraging those bourgeois elite from moving in and demanding things like 'good jobs' and 'education'. My city is a stark dystopian hellscape of the poor and sick, and it makes money hand over fist.

I have a $40k/month surplus of cash, at 130k population, with $11 million in the bank, because my people are thirsty, uneducated and unhealthy, but demand is huge and I'm filthy rich. I could buy every landmark twice and still have a few million left over, and enough income to maintain them. And now I've started to place water and I'm in the process of re-zoning for medium-density, but I'm still not giving them education or hospitals because the suffering of my city amuses me.

But specfically, you have hit a demand cap, you need to get a minor and/or major league stadium and some parks down, and bulldoze all of your frivolous expenditure. The Making Money tutorial actually goes over this pretty well.

For reference, the city I was talking about :

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So I'm starting with a totally blank, new region, (no luck with mod packs, just 4+Rush Hour unless someone knows how to get NAM working on Mac) how do I get to getting the huge commercial skyscrapers everywhere? I have two cities that are a clusterfuck of like, low end residential and agricultural, and not having a lot of luck balancing my books or expanding. I tried the tutorial and just feel like an idiot, hahaha.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jefferoo posted:

So I'm starting with a totally blank, new region, (no luck with mod packs, just 4+Rush Hour unless someone knows how to get NAM working on Mac)

Here, NAM v30 Mac Edition

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Hey y'all.

I finally replaced the ancient goon gigapack with Grand Fromage's pack which, while looking amazing, is having a graphical issue while panning around. Changing the resolution and windowing hasn't been able to fix it, so I honestly have no idea what to do. Is this problem familiar?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I wanna make a backwoods agricultural town full of drunks, wifebeaters and cheating farmhands. I was reading wiki about residential zones and residents and it says:

quote:

R$ is a poor-wealth resident. These will primarily live in high-density buildings and prefer to work in industry and agriculture. As they have very low needs, these will be your staple people in the early game. It is desirable to connect these to mass transit as they prefer using buses and trains as their means of getting to work.

R$$ is a medium-wealth resident. These live in larger, low-density buildings and require basic education and health facilities to grow. These are very widespread and will work anywhere apart from low-wealth jobs, and will constitute the majority of your residents in the middle of the game.

R$$$ is a high-wealth resident. These live in large villas and big condos. They need health and education set up fully and at least some parks, so you will generally not see them until late into the game. They mostly work in the highest wealth jobs in the big offices and industrial enterprises.

Now I mostly want small houses and stuff, no enormous high density buildings. However regarding low density residential areas, if I make 1x1 housing slots then will those attract the poors? I'm guessing if I assign a low-density 9x9 or even 2x2 slots, they won't build things on those? Or maybe build and then start bitching at me.

e:

Daysvala posted:

For reference, the city I was talking about :

Can you take some close-up screenshots? I wanna see the misery you have inflicted on your pixels better. That'd be really swell.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 13, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Jefferoo posted:

So I'm starting with a totally blank, new region, (no luck with mod packs, just 4+Rush Hour unless someone knows how to get NAM working on Mac) how do I get to getting the huge commercial skyscrapers everywhere? I have two cities that are a clusterfuck of like, low end residential and agricultural, and not having a lot of luck balancing my books or expanding. I tried the tutorial and just feel like an idiot, hahaha.

Building and building and with the right population. Just read the part of the growth stages on the OP, at the higher growth stages there is a change of the building being of certain stage. If the CO pop is over 40k you'll see the buildings as long as you zone high density of course.

Fewd posted:

Now I mostly want small houses and stuff, no enormous high density buildings. However regarding low density residential areas, if I make 1x1 housing slots then will those attract the poors? I'm guessing if I assign a low-density 9x9 or even 2x2 slots, they won't build things on those? Or maybe build and then start bitching at me.

Yes just try with 1x1 and 1x2, the poors never complain and if they'do would you hear them? Just don't zone a big low density plot, the rich tend to fill them with their mansions.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is it possible to get a road to cross over those tracks? I want to run a road over them but it wants to go right into the ditch and back up the other side. Also, does anyone have any tips for getting smoother hills when dragging an avenue or such over them? sometimes I get some really jagged inclines and such.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

queeb posted:

Is it possible to get a road to cross over those tracks? I want to run a road over them but it wants to go right into the ditch and back up the other side. Also, does anyone have any tips for getting smoother hills when dragging an avenue or such over them? sometimes I get some really jagged inclines and such.

Use the NAM puzzle pieces. If you go all the way to the end there's one called "road on slope" that you put on each side, then use a road over rail piece.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

queeb posted:

Yes with NAM, let me show you. First you need to have the terrain digger lots. http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1544

Maka a 15m ditch, using the hole digger lots, make a road pass to activate them. Destroy them and lay the railroad track.

After that use the road puzzle pieces (You can use the other puzzle pieces for other networks), use the slope road so it'll end like this.

After that use the road over rail puzzle piece, it'll give you this result, and you're done.

For the smoother hills use a slope mode, I use Ennedi's http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1512

Edit: FB!!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

benzine posted:

For the smoother hills use a slope mode, I use Ennedi's http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1512

Edit: FB!!

Um.. i cant find anywhere on that page to download it.

Edit: derp, need to register.

queeb fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 13, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wotalt posted:

Hey y'all.

I finally replaced the ancient goon gigapack with Grand Fromage's pack which, while looking amazing, is having a graphical issue while panning around. Changing the resolution and windowing hasn't been able to fix it, so I honestly have no idea what to do. Is this problem familiar?

I am (rarely) getting the same thing with the Old Fashioned pack, which I've never seen before. I imagine it's either related to some sort of high-res objects or too many new objects, or something like that? Or maybe it's just because I'm just running at a crazy high resolution?

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Wotalt posted:

Hey y'all.

It should really be mentioned in the OP that Grand Fromage has said his pack is unstable and was developed primarily for his own personal use. I think I actually had something like that happen to me, years ago. Is this similar to what is happening to you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBjfPFwVbk

The comments seem to indicate that some people fixed the problem by switching from hardware to software or vice versa. Other than that, I can't think of anything else to help, sorry.

Jefferoo posted:

Heh, if you want skyscrapers then prepare to sperg like you have never sperged before :spergin:

Skyscrapers come in several different flavours, and are based on regional population not city population. In other words, if you want any appreciable amount of skyscrapers, you'll probably need to focus on growth to the exclusion of all else, in particular the happiness and wealth of your citizens. Get a large city tile, start a dirty-industry exclusive city right next to it, and start laying down highways.

The Big City and Making Money tutorials have two seperate core ideas that are very important to learn.

1. Build out before you build up. In other words, you need to spread out your city before you can or should get those sweet sweet skyscrapers.
2. Don't spend money on what you don't need. In other words:
-Don't spend money on water before you have medium density zoning.
-Don't spend money on police coverage until you have a large number of high-wealth citizens
-Don't spend money on education until you are a. trying to aquire medium/high-tech industry or b. trying to attract more middle-wealth citizens. even then, don't do it until you are at least building medium density
-Don't spend money on landmarks you goddamn hippie
-Don't spend money on extra capacity for city services when you don't need that extra capacity
-Don't spend money on healthcare, unless you give a poo poo about your citizens leading long productive lives. Personally, I don't see the difference between a 50 year old slave and an 80 year old slave. It's not like you can't just replace them anyways.

I recommend following this plan if you are just going for maximum population and sky scraping;

-Start two cities on large tiles: 1 Residential/Commercial/Water, 1 Industrial/Power/Garbage. This seals pollution in to your industrial city, preventing exposure to your residential areas. For extra hilarity, name your industrial city Auschwitz or something, so everyone knows you aren't afraid to show your true colors excellent humor skills.

-Connect both cities by at least 3 highways, possibly as many as five. Highways are extremely fast and high capacity, but are fairly expensive. I recommend using ground highways, as they are 1/3 the cost while retaining all traits of elevated highways except for the elevated part (it's really quite useless, even elevated it still bulldozes anything on the ground, meaning it's only worth using in small chunks for when you need to pass a network underneath). Don't worry about the money, you'll be making it back soon.

Here's an example of some ground highway interfaces I built:

-Start building. I recommend a 6x6 tile area separated by streets for all of your zoning. It takes longer to construct, but it aids traffic pathfinding and makes the city look more ordered. That last part is very important :spergin:

-Build a chunk of low-density residential zoning, and then switch over to your industrial city and build a chunk of dirty industrial zoning (don't build medium/high density yet, you need water for those zones to develop and water is expensive and only for productive citizens, these fuckers need to earn their right to drink) and then switch back again. Don't forget to mix in a tiny bit of commercial zoning every now and then. Continue doing this until you hit a demand cap (you'll notice demand flatline). Generally by around ~20k population, you'll hit a residential cap. To bust this, build parks. Lots of parks. Build at least 16 of any flavor so that you have enough for a minor/major league stadium down the line. If for some reason you hit an industrial cap, build more neighbour connections (rail/road/highway, it doesn't matter what).

-Continue zoning and expanding, put out any fires that crop up, and notice your cash levels start to skyrocket. If your wallet is not fatter than Kim Jong Un, then you have hosed up like the imperialist swine you are, and it's probably because you took pity on your citizens and built them some schools, or water or even a clinic. Bulldoze those right now. There is no need for thinking or healthy living in our city. If your wallet is still not phat, it's probably because you are overspending on services. Check your budget and see if anything is draining more money than it needs to be.

-By now you should have expanded across the entirety of your residential city. The poor inhabit the land in enormous swathes, their suburban ghettos shining up at your godly face as you look down in disgust at what you have wrought. You should have anywhere from 110k - 140k population, and you are both ready to move onto medium density zoning and probably have some traffic problems.

-Install water services in your residential city, and build enough pipe to supply water to every corner of your desolate, dry wasteland. At this point you have a choice: Do you want to go for higher-wealth citizens, or do you want to focus on salting the earth with the decrepit bodies of your poor? Being the proper psychopathic monster you are, you choose to build your skyscrapers on the backs of your unwashed masses, because it's simpler and much easier to do and less :effort: for me to explain.

-Continue expanding your industrial city and adding more medium-density residential zoning. DO NOT ADD EDUCATION! To do so might invite medium or high-wealth filth to your city, which would cause demand for high-class jobs, which can't support quite as many workers (not as space-efficient). Think of it, asking for a decent wage and working conditions. While you are doing this, you'll need to continue expanding your transport network. Highways are too bulky at this point, so you'll probably need to go underground with subways.

-Ensure you have adequate power and water reserves, and your garbage is being properly disposed of (or just leave it in the streets, it's pretty hilarious); if you thought the increase in supplies needed to maintain a solid medium-density city were excessive, wait until you see what a sea of skyscrapers demands of your logistical network.

-You should be anywhere from 200-500k population. Feel free to start zoning for high-density residential, but don't be surprised if you don't see very many skyscrapers pop up. You won't have the region population to support them yet.

-Start other cities, and repeat this process with them. Remember that skyscrapers are based on region population, therefore you'll need lots of big cities to get lots of skyscrapers.

Whew. That turned out longer than I expected. I probably got some information wrong there, and I was nowhere as detailed as I could have been. Let me know if anyone sees any glaring mistakes or omissions. And don't forget:

Literal Hamster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 13, 2013

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Fewd posted:

Correct, zoning low density will only allow houses to be built, and if you want to keep them poor then don't add services/parks etc. The default sizes for small houses in the game are 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 1x3, I believe. The largest growables included with the game are 4x4, any larger plot sizes will grow if you have downloaded buildings that grow on those sizes.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Daysvala posted:

Whew. That turned out longer than I expected. I probably got some information wrong there, and I was nowhere as detailed as I could have been. Let me know if anyone sees any glaring mistakes or omissions. And don't forget:

Here's a good FAQ for optimizing cities in vanilla SC4 plus RH: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/561176-simcity-4/faqs/21501

I made this quick region to playtest my NAM+CAM installation (since oldfashioned still gives me crashes):

Central City:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Shibawanko posted:

By the way, if you press G you'll get rid of that grid on your land (it'll still appear around your cursor so you can work with it).
Hey, thanks, this is neat! Are there any other useful hidden features like that worth mentioning?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't recommend grids, in my experience it's not actually very efficient.

Residentials want: low pollution, low traffic, services
Commercials want: traffic (customers), land value (high demand, high land values and released caps are what prompt skyscrapers)
Industry wants: not much, preferably good road access and a railway with cargo depot

In other words, you want traffic away from residential areas, instead have it pass by commercial areas and end up at industrials with as little pollution and traffic jams as possible. In a grid, most of the roads will go relatively unused while traffic will tend to concentrate along certain roads, usually ones that you don't want.

Instead, build a residential zone which has access on one side to a large artery. Residentials really don't need a strict grid, and your city will look livelier without a grid. So build a highway, and let an avenue intersect it with a passover and onramps. Then connect some roads and streets to the avenue (so that low capacity roads connect to increasingly high capacity ones) and fill them in with zones of varying size. Having variety in lot sizes helps, since not all stages of development rely on the same sizes of lots.

Build your commercial zones along the avenues and some of the roads, they like being in high traffic areas. Build a big central business district too and just fill it up with coms.

On the other side of the city, build your industry and connect it to the highway and some public transportation. Always build big, just build a shitload of zones across multiple cities and things will sort themselves out. And of course, manage the budget of your services, and build lots of those.

Also, I disagree with the many people who insist on going slow and going from low tech to medium tech, and ultimately to high tech. It's actually much, much easier in terms of finance and hassle to rush straight for high tech with high education. Just crank up the taxes to dirty and manufacturing so they don't hog the industry zones while you spawn intelligent employees.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

While your advice does make general sense it's not the fastest way to get to the biggest skyscrapers in vanilla.

Your basic efficient city-building block will be limited by the mean reach of services that you'll need to break certain caps. Four 16x16 grids centered around the intersection of two open corridors (to be filled up with mass transit and services) is one of the most effective ways of maximizing small police- and fire station coverage circles.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I provide my entire city with basic services like education, utilities, healthcare, and public mass transit, ordinances out the rear end, and I still turn a profit and am sitting on an income of a couple thousand spacebucks per month and currently have more money than I know what to do with. :smug:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

I don't recommend grids

You...don't recommend grids? ...in simcity? :reject:

Mods, may we burn the heretic?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Koesj posted:

While your advice does make general sense it's not the fastest way to get to the biggest skyscrapers in vanilla.

Your basic efficient city-building block will be limited by the mean reach of services that you'll need to break certain caps. Four 16x16 grids centered around the intersection of two open corridors (to be filled up with mass transit and services) is one of the most effective ways of maximizing small police- and fire station coverage circles.

I have to admit I barely remember what the vanilla game even plays like, was it really that hard though to get the biggest skyscrapers? I remember I just kinda goofed around in the beginning and eventually got there by just building a huge expanse of megacity over multiple cities.

But seriously, I would try to get some mods working. If NAM doesn't work for you, try CAM or some convenient ploppables.

I whipped up a basic layout of how I tend to build, I'm not sure if this would work in vanilla I suppose.

I took a region shot while I was at it.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 13, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
NAM makes it wayyy easier on you since even the more stingy simulators provide more road capacity than SC4s highly constrained traffic system. Among other things, CAM ups industrial capacity by a huge amount which is very convenient. It takes a lot less time to build up your residential caps when there's higher demand inside the city itself instead of somewhere else in the region.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Daysvala posted:

Wait, people still do I and R exclusive cities?

There's a really good recent Industrial mod that came out recently. It makes industrial ares more like sprawling warehouses and cargo areas instead of the same factory everywhere. It also more control over what industry grows, medium density only lets I-D and lower end I-M grow, while high density only allows HT and higher end I-M grow. It's called the Industrial Revolution Mod

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 13, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Well goons, how do you think for a little MP region? It was previously posted this, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125255638#22484.

It also says it can work with dropbox, any suggestion?

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I have to admit I barely remember what the vanilla game even plays like, was it really that hard though to get the biggest skyscrapers? I remember I just kinda goofed around in the beginning and eventually got there by just building a huge expanse of megacity over multiple cities.

But seriously, I would try to get some mods working. If NAM doesn't work for you, try CAM or some convenient ploppables.

I whipped up a basic layout of how I tend to build, I'm not sure if this would work in vanilla I suppose.

I took a region shot while I was at it.

Woah woah woah woah back the gently caress up

WHAT is that DOME?

Is... Is than an arcology? :swoon:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

James The 1st posted:

Wait, people still do I and R exclusive cities?
Ha, I used to do that back in the early days, grid optimizations and all. Totally a legitimate way to play if that's your thing, but I think I only really started loving SC4 when I learned to throw efficiency to the wind and aim for something more organic. GrandFromage's LP offers a fantastic look at this kind of gameplay.

People new to the game should just remember to: 1) avoid providing expensive services until their coffers are bursting, and 2) match sliders to demand (power, schools, etc.). If you do that, you can go pretty wild with things.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ha, I used to do that back in the early days, grid optimizations and all. Totally a legitimate way to play if that's your thing, but I think I only really started loving SC4 when I learned to throw efficiency to the wind and aim for something more organic. GrandFromage's LP offers a fantastic look at this kind of gameplay.

This is really the best way to play. I don't really treat Sim City as a game anymore, it's really just a gigantic toy for making neat model cities in. I try a lot to go away from the grid whenever it makes sense, or have a city be nothing but square blocks if I feel like it makes sense for what I'm doing. Like, in my current city that I'm playing I try to make the areas near hills and water sources conform to the terrain instead of just keeping with the grids, but when it comes to farmland I keep with the whole endless extent of grids stretching on forever.

It makes the game much more aesthetically pleasing and satisfying when you're making something that looks good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That graphic glitch is really weird, I don't think it's my plugins. I've never seen anything like it. I have no idea what could cause it though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I can't get Old Fashioned's pack to stop crashing when loading any region. I basically just want to play in that pretty looking Fhuzo region with just the bare essentials except I can't figure out what those are. From previous posts I know it has something to do with trees(?) but trying only the terrain folder (without terrainmods and zzz_terrain with crash the game) I can get into the regions on Fhuzo but proceed to crash when I try to do any building.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm trying to download some of the mods and I got a few questions.

1: Which packs are good for bug fixes and optimizations

2: Are there non torrent versions of them or the mega packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Thank you oh so much for this post. In about half an hour or so I started a city from scratch and was suddenly turning a profit from my neglect for my citizens. SimCity is now a thrilling adventure for me! Thanks!

• Locked thread