Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Henry Scorpio posted:

No, the bug they patched out would have had those Mutons warp on top of your crew and then do their pod activation. If enemies can actually get the jump on you like you described, that sounds pretty cool. Minus the losing all your squad part.
I wish this was a more common occurrence, and most of the enemies weren't just puttering around in the fog waiting for you to activate them. For some stages it makes sense, like landed saucers where the aliens are doing their own thing and aren't anticipating conflict, but most of the time I wish the enemy AI would be actively seeking you out, like in the original- I hate having to play 'go find the Outsider' or whatever in larger maps. Does anyone know if there's a mod out there that allows that to happen, or is that too advanced without the SDK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

areyoucontagious posted:

And from what I understand armor is a better choice because there is less escalation on the alien side of things?

I think most would agree with me when I say you're better off getting laser rifles before carapace armor. Probably laser sniper rifles too, at least if you're running 2x snipers (you should).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

animatorZed posted:

On a different note, I thought that heavy rockets always had a fixed accuracy of 90% (aside from the blaster launcher).
However, I've noticed that one of my heavies, and only him, seems to have a variable rocket accuracy:

The actual number appears to vary continuously from 90 - 99, depending on the range, with further distances displaying a higher accuracy. These are normal rockets, no blaster bomb. My other heavy doesn't do this. Anyone seen this before?

Are you playing with the Second Wave mod(s) that randomize stats at creation/randomize stats at level up?

I've got a Heavy with 105 aim using a scope, and his rocket accuracy is also > 90.

He owns a whole lot. With bullet swarm and a heavy laser, he can take out anything in 1 turn, and sometimes 2 things in 1 turn. Without even needing to blow it up.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

FairGame posted:

Are you playing with the Second Wave mod(s) that randomize stats at creation/randomize stats at level up?

I've got a Heavy with 105 aim using a scope, and his rocket accuracy is also > 90.

He owns a whole lot. With bullet swarm and a heavy laser, he can take out anything in 1 turn, and sometimes 2 things in 1 turn. Without even needing to blow it up.

That reminds me of one of my Assaults from my most recent game.

With 105 aim, she's able to consistently achieve near 100% accuracy at long range with her Plasma Rifle. That makes her especially lethal whenever I decide to use Rapid Fire, as her high aim ensures that both shots will still be accurate from damned-near any position that she can see her target from.

It's like having a Assault with Double Tap, honestly, only I can only focus on a single target at a time. Shame that her measly 66 Will is going to make her complete possession bait.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I didn't realize how much I liked watching beaglerush's Ironman Impossible videos until I started trying to watch other "let's plays" out there. I'm almost yelling at the screen at how dumb some of these people are.

"Don't move that guy there, dumbass!"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

beerinator posted:

I didn't realize how much I liked watching beaglerush's Ironman Impossible videos until I started trying to watch other "let's plays" out there. I'm almost yelling at the screen at how dumb some of these people are.

Yeah, thanks everybody for the suggestions. Beaglerush's videos are amazingly helpful, I'm curbstomping normal now. I'm still toying around with the macro side of things, getting my footing, but I've got the same core 5 dudes for 6 missions now. Only 1 death!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

beerinator posted:

Remember, there is no quality control on youtube. Being good at the game is second to being as loud as possible when you gently caress up.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

beerinator posted:

It's scary how bad some people are. I saw one guy who was starting an I/I game, and not only was he so bad that I had trouble believing he could beat Easy, but I think he had modded the game to make Impossible easier than easy. The aliens couldn't hit poo poo, his rookies had far higher accuracy than they should, and even when the aliens hit things they were doing almost no damage. Twice they weren't even able to blow up cover when they hit it with plasma weapons.

So yeah, there are some really bad people out there making videos. You would think they would have some idea of just how bad they are, but nope they don't.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

FairGame posted:

Yeah, I'm playing with second wave and random starting / upgrade stats. That must be it.
I just thought it was odd since I thought the rocket accuracy was hardcoded.

My heavy also has > 100 aim with a scope. It's awesome :)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

That's very very difficult. My first terror mission is generally with ballistics and consists of me just accepting the fact that most of the civvies will die and very cautiously setting up long range kill zones.
Not only does having lasers make the first terror mission much easier, lasers also mean that you don't have to rely on snipers, assaults, or rockets to take out thin men on one shot. Bee-line for lasers. Ignore everything until you have lasers. Weapon fragments -> beam weapons, every single time.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Well if anything, I almost wish some of the people asking for strategy help posted videos of them playing so we could understand if it's a style thing, lack of understanding of mechanics, or really bad :xcom: syndrome.

Also, I was a weirdo on my last I/I playthrough and went for armor first. Why? Because being able to survive an inevitable hit was critical for me in the early game because even if your damage is improved with lasers a dead soldier does no damage and I need every man doing something even if to just distract the enemy. No dead soldiers in the beginning is extremely helpful and rushing the alien base before you've got some resources built up. Even with lasers it'll require two hits oftentimes to take out a thin man, so having to double up per alien is really what makes Impossible so hard in the early game to me in terms of offensive capability, which only exacerbates the other factors of increased enemy count, better alien aim, and weaker soldiers.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Does anybody have any hilariously awful youtube videos of people doing stupid things and getting angry? That sounds like wonderful entertainment.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Well if anything, I almost wish some of the people asking for strategy help posted videos of them playing so we could understand if it's a style thing, lack of understanding of mechanics, or really bad :xcom: syndrome.

Also, I was a weirdo on my last I/I playthrough and went for armor first. Why? Because being able to survive an inevitable hit was critical for me in the early game because even if your damage is improved with lasers a dead soldier does no damage and I need every man doing something even if to just distract the enemy. No dead soldiers in the beginning is extremely helpful and rushing the alien base before you've got some resources built up. Even with lasers it'll require two hits oftentimes to take out a thin man, so having to double up per alien is really what makes Impossible so hard in the early game to me in terms of offensive capability, which only exacerbates the other factors of increased enemy count, better alien aim, and weaker soldiers.

Yes, I go materials first on I/I because a squaddie with a vest usually has 7 HP, which is exactly enough to guarantee surviving a Plasma Pistol hit or a non-crit LPR hit. That makes a huge difference, allowing you to go into situations and allow your soldiers to get hit at least once. This is much better than a SCOPE in April. However, I tend to go Materials, then Fragments, then Beams. Carapace is not really necessary although Squaddie with Carapace and Vest has 10 HP and LPR crit immunity. I usually skip Carapace for Skeleton.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Not only does having lasers make the first terror mission much easier, lasers also mean that you don't have to rely on snipers, assaults, or rockets to take out thin men on one shot. Bee-line for lasers. Ignore everything until you have lasers. Weapon fragments -> beam weapons, every single time.

And now you find you have trouble capturing all those 3/4 HP aliens because everything one-shots them. I always go capture first. It's a slightly slower start, but I'll actually end up with laser sniper rifles before you do and I'll have armour rolling out faster as well.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Am I alone in wishing that the overwatch bug/exploit be fixed sometime in the future? I find the game a lot more enjoyable when the AI can actually do something instead of getting programming errors. They should either risk getting shot and move to cover to counter, or at least fire back, not just stand there.

It would make Impossible even harder, but at least it'd be more interesting.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alchenar posted:

And now you find you have trouble capturing all those 3/4 HP aliens because everything one-shots them. I always go capture first. It's a slightly slower start, but I'll actually end up with laser sniper rifles before you do and I'll have armour rolling out faster as well.

Yep. I can see a compelling case for all 3 branches at the start of an impossible game. Nano-fiber vests are great for keeping deaths down and actually allowing you to build up a squad of non-rookies.

I usually do alien jail because it gives me the option to do the base really early. I've got my fingers crossed that my current game can do the assault in month 2 (depends if I get lucky with timing on the 2nd UFO). I didn't lose a single country in month 1 due to getting 5 satellites up, but I can't get another 3 up until May 2 :(

A 16-country impossible game would be pretty incredible.

(who am I kidding? I'll probably lose everything tonight when I attempt Slingshot #2. If I don't, though...slingshot #3 is hilariously easy even with 6 rookies with lasers.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Fine management of alien health for capture purposes is what your soldiers have pistols for. Anything that is in danger of dying from a non-crit laser rifle shot will usually land right in the sweet zone for stunning with a pistol shot.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Slashrat posted:

Fine management of alien health for capture purposes is what your soldiers have pistols for. Anything that is in danger of dying from a non-crit laser rifle shot will usually land right in the sweet zone for stunning with a pistol shot.

This, and the fact that rolling a 2 on rifle damage blows against thin men on Impossible, makes me go lasers first.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Alchenar posted:

The only time I'd ever be attempting to capture an alien is when it wouldn't matter if I had to take an extra turn for extra pistol shots. If that alien's not totally helpless, I'm not going to risk putting a guy next to it and having his ARC thrower fail.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I was looking for this thread. I just started playing on PS3 (well, about 15-20 hours in now) my first X-COM game ever, and I'm floored by how fun it is. I started with randomized stats on normal mode - will probably attempt ironman at some point since I'm a fan of roguelikes - and I'm amazed at how well the game seems to work. I haven't run into any of the bugs mentioned in the OP, and everything seems to be working nicely. I just wish my drat Satellites built faster, I lost Egypt and Canada already :ohdear:

Nevertheless, my pair of Snipers at Major rank cut pretty much everything down. One has Double Tap, the other has In the Zone and Opportunist, both have Skeleton Suits, and I dash them to the nearest high ground to murder anything that pops its head up for a second. Working on laser sniper rifles. Capturing an alien initially took me forever until I realized that the best strategy was to plink down a thin man/sectoid with a pistol, then use an assault class to chase that fucker all over the map until within range of the Arc Thrower.

Still getting blown up by Disc-oid flung grenades though. Ouch. :(

I love this game.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Chakan posted:

This, and the fact that rolling a 2 on rifle damage blows against thin men on Impossible, makes me go lasers first.

Lasers can't one shot them reliably either. Rockets are the only answer. Heavy lasers are pretty good though. Running two heavies on I/I is essential.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Can you ARC stun the final ethereal?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

dud root posted:

Probably, but it's pointless because there is no base to go back to after to interrogate it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Lasers can't one shot them reliably either. Rockets are the only answer. Heavy lasers are pretty good though. Running two heavies on I/I is essential.

That's not how I mean. With ballistics rolling minimum on a hit can mean needing two more hits. No such thing with lasers.

It... happens far too often for me.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Chakan posted:

That's not how I mean. With ballistics rolling minimum on a hit can mean needing two more hits. No such thing with lasers.

It... happens far too often for me.

Not if you use shotguns and LMG's.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

dud root posted:

Already tried it. And no, you can't.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

dereku posted:

Already tried it. And no, you can't.

Part of me really wishes they had both made it possible and made a special cutscene for the eventuality. Bringing the commander of the entire invasion force back to your containment facility for interrogation would be metal as gently caress.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh, gently caress you, Slingshot #2

Got all the transponders up and dashed my assault to the control spot with 2 turns to go. The mission didn't end, I guess because my assault was last to move and so the turn ended before the mission could?

Aliens got a free turn when I thought the mission was over, and everyone died.

Game over.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Do you not use pistols or something? On classic, having the ability to reliably take down thin men is a godsend. On impossible, I'd pull armor first, just to give my heavies more of a chance to use their rockets. And I really don't tend to capture many sectoids at all, because...eh. What's the point? By the time I can reasonably research plasma pistols, I'm swimming in money and materials, to the point where I can just make them. I'll grab someone when I can for plot purposes (I honestly usually have the Outsider crystal before I interrogate anyone), grab a Muton, and grab a Sectoid Commander. That's pretty much it, capturing is risky as hell. I also skip laser snipers because on classic, they don't really provide enough of a damage increase to help. A ballistic sniper takes down a classic thin man, and a laser sniper won't take down a Muton on a crit, which makes it just as effective as a ballistic one. It is definitely a tech you can safely put off for a long time on classic. On impossible, again, maybe, but I usually feel pretty confident going materials -> scopes -> beams -> containment stuff -> base logistics stuff -> enough researchers to make plasma feasible with a captured Muton. Skeleton armor fits in there somewhere too.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I just beat the bomb disposal trainyard map with 0 deaths on classic difficulty. Feeling pretty smug right now, considering the first time I did that map on normal (also a bomb disposal) I squad wiped. I still cant believe that literally 6 thinmints air drop in once the bomb is disabled.

Ravenfood posted:

a laser sniper won't take down a Muton on a crit
Yes it does on Classic, I've done it twice now. 10 damage on a crit

dud root fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2013

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I just had two teleport bugs happen to me with panicked soldiers on an abduction mission. Twice. When my team leader went down and all three of my other squaddies panicked with no hunker downs, an untriggered alien group plopped right in front of them. I managed to clear them out, but when two other squaddie went down to encroaching alien fire and the pattern repeated itself with my surviving member, ANOTHER untriggered alien group teleported in front of me.

This is with the beta patch.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So I've decided to start my first Ironman after being terrified to do so for so many months.

Generally speaking, any tips on what the composition of my squad should be in order to have an easier time of it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dud root posted:

I just beat the bomb disposal trainyard map with 0 deaths on classic difficulty. Feeling pretty smug right now, considering the first time I did that map on normal (also a bomb disposal) I squad wiped. I still cant believe that literally 6 thinmints air drop in once the bomb is disabled.

Yes it does on Classic, I've done it twice now. 10 damage on a crit
You sure? I was positive it was 9 damage, but I could be wrong. Wiki, and a few other places online, say 9 too.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

You sure? I was positive it was 9 damage, but I could be wrong. Wiki, and a few other places online, say 9 too.

Laser Sniper Rifle does 5-7 base damage, 7-10 on a normal crit, and 11-14 on a Headshot crit. It's an incredible weapon on Classic, because it can 1-shot Elite Mutons and Sectoid Commanders.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 14, 2013

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Until Beaglerush makes some new videos, CommanderLust's series seems to be a decent substitute. He's more reckless, but they're entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3YYhtqDKcS3YymCZy_nLVdi1H9KCLPYC

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

straw man posted:

Until Beaglerush makes some new videos, CommanderLust's series seems to be a decent substitute. He's more reckless, but they're entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3YYhtqDKcS3YymCZy_nLVdi1H9KCLPYC

Thanks for the link, those are fun to watch.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Earlier I complained about having trouble with multiplayer, not winning one match. Today that changed. I started a quick match. My opponent's point total was well over the limit. He'd click ready but it would go back. After a few attempts at this, his point total goes even higher, but eventually the match goes through. It starts, he says its an infinite point match and asks if I want to restart. I reply yes. Yes I would.

He surrenders and I get the achievement. :toot: Oddly, before that I had an opponent who disconnected, and I didn't get it.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 15, 2013

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Dr Christmas posted:

Earlier I complained about having trouble with multiplayer, not winning one match. Today that changed. I started a quick match. My opponent's point total was well over the limit. He'd click ready but it would go back. After a few attempts at this, his point total goes even higher, but eventually the match goes through. It starts, he says its an infinite point match and asks if I want to restart. I reply yes. Yes I would.

He surrenders and I get the achievement. :toot: Oddly, before that I had an opponent who disconnected, and I didn't get it.

I'm decently ranked at multiplayer. The most basic errors I see from newbies are 1) poor squad selections 2) poor scouting and 3) being easy to scout.

For a decent squad newbie-friendly squad I would recommend the following. Chose 2 good units and 2 scouts. More than 4 will hurt time-management.

For the two good units, sectoid commanders, cyberdisc or soldiers are best.
Stay away from Chryssalids, Mutons and floaters. They are too expensive and/or hard to use correctly.
Soldiers who can use them gets LPR (light plasma rifle) or better. At 250 points LPR is a steal, but sometimes laser shotgun/alloy cannon or plasma rifle is better.

Use 2 smokejumpers, thin men or sectoids as scouts.

Advance with the scouts first and the good units right behind. It's often better to stay one tile away from the corner than at the corner at end of turn (if you have no shot opportunities). Staying at the corner gives the oppononent the chance to spot, identify and decide to shoot it out or not. If he can't see you he's still guessing.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

hhhmmm posted:

Multiplayer

Alternatively, I used to roll out with 6 scoped LPR Smokerjumpers and I would consistently win. Zerg Rush em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So with Civ V getting a second expansion this summer, surely this means XCOM is getting one or more content soon, right? Right?!? :smith:

• Locked thread