Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Death by Cranes posted:

Hi guys

Just got this and I must say the the menu's graphic design is probably the worst I ever saw. Everything is divided is big ugly pixels and the map screen of the island is downright hideous. Do i have some weird setting or is this actually the way it's designed?

It should look something like this.

Is there a new schwartz mod yet? For some dumbfuck reason the new "revert outposts" thing is only after you've beaten the game (what retard made that decision?) and I don't want to defeat every friggin base before I can reset them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Slappy Moose posted:

It should look something like this.

Ok, thanks. I've looked at a million screenshots, and yes: this is how it looks.
I guess I just have to hold back the puke and anger throughout this otherwise interesting game.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

amiantos posted:

I am weird though, my enjoyment of the game increases by 100% whenever I think the entire plot is real, is not a fantasy, and furthmore actually happened or is currently happening and I am simply controlling Jason remotely like those war videogames from the movie Toys.

Despite the more hamhanded story parts - the join Citra ending in particular - I like the idea of Jason just being this schlub that the Rakyat send off to do stupid poo poo, basically using him because it means he's so very speshul and oh look at the pretty lady.

That being said, the menu annoys me a little, and I have no idea why each new Relic is starred when every single one of the same animal-type says the exact same thing. It would have been cool to have a sentence or two about the area where you picked them up, why this one was enshrined or what was up with the ruins that one was chilling out in.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hi, I'm having a weird problem, I recently bought this game on Steam, however it seems I have to play it through Uplay, which requires an activation code/CD-key. But the weird thing is that I don't have the option to view the game's CD-key as I usually have for Steam games, the option is just not there. Am I basically just screwed?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
What if you right click on the far cry 3 icon in the steam game list? The "View CD Key" option should be there too.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That's what I've attempted to do, it doesn't show up, kind of frustrating to be honest. I bought this game, I kind of feel like I'm being denied the use of it

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

I'm guessing you've already done this but just throwing it out there...have you contacted steam support and asked them to give you your key?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Have they fixed the Trials of the Rakyat yet?

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
So setting steam to "do not automatically update this game"didn't work at all for farcry 3. Welp, swartz mod was fun while it lasted...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

standardtoaster posted:

So setting steam to "do not automatically update this game"didn't work at all for farcry 3. Welp, swartz mod was fun while it lasted...

Steam doesn't work like that, if you want to run the game you have no choice but to patch it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Beardless Riker posted:

I'm guessing you've already done this but just throwing it out there...have you contacted steam support and asked them to give you your key?

Yeah, and to Ubisoft too just in case, haven't got an answer yet, if they don't reply I guess I'll have to call or something

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.

kri kri posted:

Steam doesn't work like that, if you want to run the game you have no choice but to patch it.
Pretty sure that if you don't bother with multi, you can play single-player all you want unpatched. That's the way it works with X-Com, Modern Warfare, Dawn of War 2, and other games for me, - if you had set it to "don't update automatically" and then a patch comes out, Steam won't get it. Now if you're just installing a game and there are patches already available for it, then you're out of luck, - it's mandatory patching for you, whether it's single- or multiplayer.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

kri kri posted:

Each game has that option, but apparently it doesn't work with fc3. It works for the other games that I need to version for mods.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

standardtoaster posted:

Each game has that option, but apparently it doesn't work with fc3. It works for the other games that I need to version for mods.

This is because FC3 doesn't use steam in the least. In order for FC3 to run, it needs Uplay which, when set to online mode, will auto-patch your poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sometimes Steam does download FarCry 3 patches though, so it's apparently not 100% Uplay.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

Morter posted:

This is because FC3 doesn't use steam in the least. In order for FC3 to run, it needs Uplay which, when set to online mode, will auto-patch your poo poo.

Yeah, uplay is set to offline mode. The patch was applied through steam.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm having a lot of trouble in the intro. I'm sneaking around with my partner which I forget the name of. The game introduced rocks as a distraction tool, and then I reached a roadblock when I have to distract 2 guards while hiding in tall plants. Problem is I cannot get the guards distracted long enough. One of them usually turns around and sees me and my partner sneaking out. Or worse my partner leaves when it's not safe. I've attempted this about 4-5 times. I have no idea how to progress :(

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 9, 2013

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Avocados posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble in the intro. I'm sneaking around with my partner which I forget the name of. The game introduced rocks as a distraction tool, and then I reached a roadblock when I have to distract 2 guards while hiding in tall plants. Problem is I cannot get the guards distracted long enough. One of them usually turns around and sees me and my partner sneaking out. Or worse my partner leaves when it's not safe. I've attempted this about 4-5 times. I have no idea how to progress :(

Okay, a couple of things to keep in mind:

-During the intro phase, you have zero offensive capability so getting out of the camp is entirely dependent upon you not getting seen.

-Here's how rocks work: Pretty much every kind of enemy will go all the way out to the sound of a rock impact. The exception to this are snipers who I don't think you see for a while anyway. They will go out to where the rock struck ground (or hit a fence or wall), stand there for a second or two (or "look around"), then turn around and head back to where they came from. For up to three rocks worth they will follow this routine, so if you throw a second rock while they are still at the spot where your first rock hit, they will go to the second rock sound, and so on for up to three rocks, after which they will get suspicious and their behavior becomes a bit unpredictable. So it's a bad idea to just spam rocks over and over unless you have some specific plan because the pirates just get paranoid and jumpy.

However, if the pirates actually see you while they are investigating rocks, if you aren't crouched or in enough cover, then they will forget about the rocks and detect you. So don't throw your rocks where the enemy path will cause them to see you or your buddy (I think his name is Grant, your brother). Keep in mind the enemies are reacting to the SOUND of the rock impact, so the main issue is where your rock hits. Hitting a tree branch on the way to your rock target will cause the enemy to look at THAT sound, so keep in mind if there are big tree branches in your way.

The non-sniper enemies will reliably turn around after a second or two after investigating rock noises and head back the way they came, this can reliably be exploited to do knife takedowns on the enemy when they are facing away, or sneak past them when you know they will be looking away.

I suspect you are having one of a few possible issues:

-You are not crouched or in enough cover to avoid detection
-You are timing your rock throw poorly, such as waiting too long to throw the rock when Grant has already committed to moving forward
-You are placing your rock throws poorly, so the rock impact point will either not cause the enemy to turn away enough to avoid seeing you, or actually causes them to turn in a direction where they will see you or Grant.
-If you don't throw your rock close enough to the pirate, they won't even hear it and won't react in any way.

If you had any way (FRAPS etc.) of recording your game and posting a Youtube we could easily tell you what the problem was, but look at these possibilities.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

It looked like rocks were hitting vines in my direction half the time. So while they got distracted, their attention was not towards eachother but towards me. Another thing that didn't help my case was the spam. In Metal Gear I can more or less lead guards into the barrel of my gun by abusing ammo mags. Took me a minute to realize these two games aren't the same, especially when it comes to small nuances like that. :blush: Thanks to your post I managed to get out of the camp, too bad Grant is six feet under now. Once the game stopped the introductory hand-holding I went off in the wilderness stealth killing guards with the help of rocks. It was much easier to learn how they worked outside the camp.

Regarding the three skill trees, about how many will I generally be able to fill by the game's end, provided I do side quests here and there and goof around capturing things? I'm thinking of specializing in the stealth tree while getting a bit of perks from the long-range branch.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You'll be able to get all the skills very easily.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yeah, if you goof around enough (and you probably will) you'll get all of them long before you finish the main story line.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The only one you can miss involves failing to take two outposts without being seen, but that becomes trivial in the endgame (especially since you can reset them now)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Had another fantastic "weird poo poo" happenstance tonight... got a screenshot this time.

Anyways, I came across three pirates standing around a caged black bear. Snuck up, was going to shoot the cage but instead a tiger ran out from across the road and mauled all three pirates. Next, not one but two jeeps with pirates drive up, the tiger takes one down and the rest of the pirates finally kill it. Once they relax I shoot open the cage. Another jeep and a car load of pirates drive up, the black bear kills them all and runs off in to the bush.

So 11 pirates and a tiger dead within the span of about a minute and I used a grand total of three assault rifle bullets.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Wait, is the Swartz mod not compatible with the current game version? Because I bought the game a few days ago, and after a few marathon sessions, I DL'd Swartz (just based on his amazing work w/ Stalker) and it seems to be working okay.

And holy poo poo does it ever make the game more fun. I'm only capturing a strategic string of bases this time around, so most areas are still patrolled and can be quite dangerous. And the lack of weirdly free weapon unlocks sure helps the immersion.

Anyway, am I going to find out that my Swartz game is hosed and unplayable after a few dozen hours?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Not compatible, at least by the author's note. He posted a message on Nexus that it may be a long time before he can get it working properly because he no longer has the game installed.

If I could find a mod that unlocks all of the weapon upgrades for every weapon that works with 1.05 I'd be plenty happy with that.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

grack posted:

Not compatible, at least by the author's note. He posted a message on Nexus that it may be a long time before he can get it working properly because he no longer has the game installed.

If I could find a mod that unlocks all of the weapon upgrades for every weapon that works with 1.05 I'd be plenty happy with that.

After some continued testing, I think I'm going to keep risking it anyway. Perhaps I'm not getting the full-featured experience, but nothing seems obviously missing or game-breakingly broken. And the features that are working for me sure are amazing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think the latest Penny Arcade is referencing Far Cry 3:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic

Certainly, seeing berserkers explode into flames when you impale them with an arrow is certainly ironic and distubingly cathartic.

Side note: what's everyone's preferred way of taking out heavies when clearing an outpost? I usually snipe everyone else and then go in and do a takedown on them, but I've also heard that fire arrows work pretty good too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Side note: what's everyone's preferred way of taking out heavies when clearing an outpost?

I usually do them all by takedown, and try to get them first.

Heavies are easily led with rocks to a spot behind a billboard, between sheds, or at the bottom of some stairs where their body will be hard to see, then you take them down. Heavies (probably to compensate for their slowness) seem to detect you a little easier than most other pirate types so I don't like having them around while I take down other pirates if I can avoid it.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be susceptible to Death From Below attacks or any kind of combo takedown, although Death From Above works just fine on them.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Good god I absolutely love the flare gun. It seems quite overpowered in some situations, but it feels soooo good.

With decent aim and a little practice, you can pretty consistently one-shot a charging tiger in the face. Or gently caress up an enemy jeep. Or creep around and roast two or three wild dogs at once before they know what hit them. Or pin down and surpress an annoying, dug-in enemy. Or jump around a corner and plug a heavy in his flak jacket at point blank, duck back into cover, and delight in his panicked screams a few seconds later as that rear end in a top hat realizes he's the weiner in a flak jacket inferno hot dog.

For a challenge, I try to minimize my gear to realistic carry levels (i.e., not scrambling up mountainsides toting three or four massive situational weapons. I've typically been carrying my un-suppressed sniper rifle and a bow (or ocassionally a suppressed AK-47). Or once in a while just a PKM. And my flare gun, of course. Always my sweet precious beautiful flare gun.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 11, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I should give the flare gun a shot. My loadout is quite a bit less realistic - I've got a silenced sniper rifle, the bow, an LMG, and the flamethrower. The flamethrower is really lots of fun and is a good, silent way of getting rid of tigers and bears, but has the disadvantage of setting the landscape (and subsequently, you) on fire. The flamethrower works well against pirates/privateers as well, but while the weapon itself is silent, the resultant screams of "AIEEE! I'M ON FIRE!" make it pretty bad if you're going for a stealth approach.

But my first course of action is always to scout out the camp for an FC (Ferocious Carnivore). It's interesting that some FC's are more useful than others. Dogs will get themselves killed quickly, but a tiger can usually clear out an entire camp quite handily. Cassowaries seem to be pretty tough, too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Cassowaries seem to be pretty tough, too.

I think my funniest moment was setting one of these loose when things were getting a bit hot for me at an outpost, and expecting just a distraction or maybe one kill at most, and watching its Donald Duck silhouette finish off the last 4 pirates at a base. That was one pissed off bird.

Runners up include a single Komodo dragon killing half a base, and random dog packs doing the same as a distant third.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Bears seem to have a thing for setting off explosives, but maybe that's just my experience. One time in particular stands out, I let the bear loose and started picking dudes off with the sniper rifle...I conquered the base, but then the bear set off a bunch of explosives, killing all the Rakyat that were casually cruising in to their new base.

Was the bear a double agent for Vaas? :psyduck:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think the latest Penny Arcade is referencing Far Cry 3:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic

Certainly, seeing berserkers explode into flames when you impale them with an arrow is certainly ironic and distubingly cathartic.

Side note: what's everyone's preferred way of taking out heavies when clearing an outpost? I usually snipe everyone else and then go in and do a takedown on them, but I've also heard that fire arrows work pretty good too.

More likely the new Tomb Raider game that just came out last week. It features dual machete guys and Molotov guys as well. It is also excellent.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I had alot of fun playing the single player in this game. Though I found farting around capturing outposts, climbing radio towers and hunting animals was a bit more fun then the story missions. Probably focused too much on using the bow and the quiet takedowns, it is just so satisfying stealthily taking out everyone at a outpost with out being seen or heard. It was kind of annoying in many of the single player missions you had no choice but to be noticed. Even if you could start with stealth, if your noticed once you might not be able to undue it due to frequent checkpoints.

I have been playing multi-player as well. I find it fun, although it sucks you don't have any vehicle t options. Its too bad that not many people play the multiplayer, let alone the custom map list. The custom maps add to the replay ability of the multi-player,I found some of the silver maps too flat (too much sniping), never braved the bronze maps yet. I played co-op a couple times, a little disappointing you didn't have access to the single player take downs. Some exclusive co-op take downs would have been sweet. Maybe use one as a bullet shield, but then again pirates wouldn't give a gently caress if they killed each other.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Something I never understood was why there are so little attachments in SP but literally 10 for each gun in multiplayer. They're obviously in the game, would it really be that hard to have had them in SP?

Shnag posted:

I have been playing multi-player as well. I find it fun, although it sucks you don't have any vehicle t options. Its too bad that not many people play the multiplayer, let alone the custom map list. The custom maps add to the replay ability of the multi-player,I found some of the silver maps too flat (too much sniping), never braved the bronze maps yet. I played co-op a couple times, a little disappointing you didn't have access to the single player take downs. Some exclusive co-op take downs would have been sweet. Maybe use one as a bullet shield, but then again pirates wouldn't give a gently caress if they killed each other.

I enjoy playing on the Custom Maps a lot. Although on PS3 the only one with a decent amount of lobbies is Silver. Either way, the Silver playlists are pretty hit or miss. I played a map the other day with about 300 explosive barrels arranged in a row and I got like 4 kills in the first 5 seconds by shooting one barrel which caused a chain reaction (and my game to stutter like crazy). Or I enjoyed the map I played in which it was a recreation of Normandy Beach and I started out in the water and had to pretty much climb my way to the other side while under fire. That one was fun.

But then I play maps with names like "Scoped Out" or one I rememeber was Domination and the only structures on the map were small buildings containing the capture point. The rest was open field. It's pretty frustrating since Sniper Rifles are one-hit kills most of the time.

I still tend to enjoy this game's MP for all its faults though. This is probably because the only other MP of an FPS I've ever played was for Modern Warfare games, so I'm a bit sheltered in that respect.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shnag posted:

The custom maps add to the replay ability of the multi-player,I found some of the silver maps too flat (too much sniping), never braved the bronze maps yet.
Some of the Bronze maps are actually really good (there's an insanely detailed urban one on PS3 called 'The Street Is Mine' or something similar, that left me jawdropped at the patience of the guy who created it), but because hardly anyone plays Bronze maps, and even fewer bother to rate them, and the ones that come up are completely random so you're more likely to get a procedural landscape with some buildings dropped on it than anything that's had effort applied, they just get lost amongst the chaff.

Then a lot of the Silver maps are utter poo poo yet get high ratings because they get voted up by little cliques, but Ubi's criteria for Silver selection seems to be based entirely on votes rather than actual quality, so welp.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Unfortunately, even though I own Far Cry 1 & 2, I'll probably never play them now. I was originally going to play them in order but it became obvious that I would have to upgrade my pitifully old computer. Once I did, I wanted to test out my spiffy new hardware with something that had cool graphics, which meant Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs. But since Far Cry 3 apparently improves any problems that 1 & 2 had, I can't see going back and playing those. I think that if a game in your Steam library is unplayed, you can put it in your inventory and gift it to someone. Or something like that, I'll have to check the Steam thread.

On another note, I just finished all the "Wanted Dead" quests. Interesting that I started out all stealthy, doing all takedowns but by the last bunch I got so impatient that I would just run in and flamethrower everyone, then knife the target.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think that if a game in your Steam library is unplayed, you can put it in your inventory and gift it to someone. Or something like that, I'll have to check the Steam thread.

I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

You should play them anyway. Far Cry 1 is pretty dated, but the game's structure is different enough to differentiate itself from 2 and 3. And goddammit I still think Far Cry 2 is a good game. It's at least worth playing if you've played FC3 to death and want new bases to romp through, even if it has some janky mechanics (personally, the only one that bothers me is that melee kills aren't silent).

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I just finished the mission where you burn down the weed farm. :okpos:

Holy crap it is the best mission ever. Torching both weed bushes and dudes (if I'm not knife killing them or blowing them away with my shotgun) and getting high as a kite while this awesome reggae/dubstep song plays is probably the pinnacle of this game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Spaz Medicine posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

You should play them anyway. Far Cry 1 is pretty dated, but the game's structure is different enough to differentiate itself from 2 and 3. And goddammit I still think Far Cry 2 is a good game. It's at least worth playing if you've played FC3 to death and want new bases to romp through, even if it has some janky mechanics (personally, the only one that bothers me is that melee kills aren't silent).

Yeah I think you had to have bought it as a gift in the first place or something like that. Oh well.

The drug fields was fun, but it was another one where I started off trying to stealth it and just gave up and just machine gunned everything to death. It's more fun that way anyways.

• Locked thread