Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

wargames posted:

And everyone flees back to TS3.

Are we actually because I have resorted to sitting in both servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Ralith posted:

I have a 5850 and an i5 and I get very comfortable framerates on singleplayer and good multiplayer servers, so it's probably the CPU.

What kind of i5? I have a 5850 and an i5 (750) and I get the worst performance imaginable.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Rubber Slug posted:

What kind of i5? I have a 5850 and an i5 (750) and I get the worst performance imaginable.

I have a sandy bridge i5 (2500k) and i get 60FPS with the development build

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Are we actually because I have resorted to sitting in both servers.

No, and we probably won't as a whole. The best case scenario to me is to have the goons who want to do mods, ACRE specifically, make a PGS thread so they don't have to deal with everyone whining, and having more control over kicking people out who are assholes and/or insufferable.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Chillyrabbit posted:

Arma 3 Alpha Lite is similar to the regular Arma 3 Alpha in terms of content. However, modding and multiplayer are not supported. People can access Arma 3 Alpha Lite for free, but will require an ‘invite’ to do so. These invites can be obtained via people who have purchased the regular Arma 3 Alpha. They will also be randomly dispersed via our social channels and selected media outlets.

arma 3 options

So basically a watered down game, no mods, no scenarios, no multiplayer and you can't save mission editing.

EDIT:Now I feel bad for being beaten to the punch

I actually wouldn't mind trying that out to at least see how the game is different from ArmA2, and how it runs/looks on this machine, if anyone wants to throw me a key anyway.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I actually wouldn't mind trying that out to at least see how the game is different from ArmA2, and how it runs/looks on this machine, if anyone wants to throw me a key anyway.

I've got a couple to spare if you haven't gotten one yet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hellbeard posted:

I've got a couple to spare if you haven't gotten one yet.

Got it, thanks a bunch!

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 14, 2013

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
How spergy does it make me if I legitimately enjoy the ear plugs in ACE? Hearing that ringing after gunfire is loving terrifying, having had the same experience in person. It's funny as hell every time. Should I just go ahead and start collecting anime figurines?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
My favorite part about the earplugs was how you could fire a couple hundred rounds from an AR without problems, but don't you dare fire a short burst out of an LMG or you'll lose hearing for the next hour.

tjones
May 13, 2005

pretend to care posted:

Anyway, are there any good scripting tutorials? The mission editor tutorials on YouTube are fantastic, but they all seem pretty hesitant to tackle scripting.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Topics

Stick with SQF and forget about SQS. Download a few scripts from armaholic and open them up to see how things work. Refer to the command reference nonstop. If something isn't working right and you're 100% certain you're implementing it correctly; then it most likely is broken (arma3 is supposed to fix this, but I've got my doubts). Refer back to the command reference to check for any comments in the footer of the page.

The arma engine is extremely buggy and tends to fight you at every chance. In the past I've spent more time trying to figure out why something doesn't work correctly and how to hack my way around the functionality to make it work than I ever did actually writing scripts. Arma2 was a lot better than Arma1 in this regard.

The amount of things you can do with scripting is amazing and completely makes up for the fact that you will pull your hair out at some point.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mederlock posted:

Since the later patches of Arma 2 supported Freetrack, I'm almost positive that it is natively supported in Arma 3. Also, the thing is is that last I checked, all FaceTrackNOIR does is tie into Freetrack anyways :shrug:
FaceTrackNoIR doesn't use FreeTrack at all. It outputs data across the FreeTrack protocol, so you can use it in games that support FreeTrack. They also ripped out the IR detection code from FreeTrack and converted it from Delphi to C++, so hopefully people will actually bother to maintain it now. I once tried to fix my webcam bugs in FreeTrack, but quickly lost hope after discovering that it was written in Delphi.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dreamed last night that I was in a jetboat race and that my object draw distance was set too low, so I crashed into the guy in front of me. :psyduck:

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Orv posted:

Dreamed last night that I was in a jetboat race and that my object draw distance was set too low, so I crashed into the guy in front of me. :psyduck:

Realism via fog.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
That wasn't a dream :science:

maqzek
Dec 21, 2012
Which makes me wonder, why is there no fog option? Playing a mission with heavy fog would be interesting.

Unless there is but I haven't seen any.

Wakko posted:

How spergy does it make me if I legitimately enjoy the ear plugs in ACE? Hearing that ringing after gunfire is loving terrifying, having had the same experience in person. It's funny as hell every time. Should I just go ahead and start collecting anime figurines?

Playing the game your way?! How dare you!

Orv
May 4, 2011

maqzek posted:

Which makes me wonder, why is there no fog option? Playing a mission with heavy fog would be interesting.

Unless there is but I haven't seen any.

I've had fog roll in naturally but I don't know if there's an editor trigger for it yet.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

maqzek posted:

There definitely is. I remember an ArmA1 mission where you are fighting in fog and then retreat back to base and the fog goes away. Also some zombie mission from OFP had it I think. Nogova Virus.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

I've had fog roll in naturally but I don't know if there's an editor trigger for it yet.

There is, go into Intel in the traditional editor layout and there's all different sliders for different weather effects.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

GoldenNugget posted:

...Nogova Virus.

God that mission series was good. I miss it now. :(

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I hope this doesn't come off as begging or annoying to anyone, but is there any chance someone could throw an alpha-lite key my way? I want to see how the game runs on my computer and how combat feels before I spend any money on a pre-order.

My steam profile url is Here

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Brownie posted:

I hope this doesn't come off as begging or annoying to anyone, but is there any chance someone could throw an alpha-lite key my way? I want to see how the game runs on my computer and how combat feels before I spend any money on a pre-order.

My steam profile url is Here

Sure.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Stupid question: Where does one get alpha-lite keys to send?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

MRC48B posted:

Stupid question: Where does one get alpha-lite keys to send?

Check your Steam inventory. Restart your client if they're not in there yet.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Can we get it bold on the first post. If anyone wants an invite feel free to post and ask for one. Ive given all mine away but would love to convince others who are on the fence about ARMA to pick it up through the Alpha.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I was pretty down with Arma 2 lite for awhile there, didn't see the point in picking it up though with no one around to really bang it on with. That domination stuff was top notch though, had a poo poo ton of fun when I actually accomplished something with a bud, drove in during a raid to clear a town and fended off several paratrooper squads, even managed to gun down a whole salvo of paras with a 50 cal that was liberated from the opposition. If someone had an invite open look up I'LL SHOW YOU ZAUBERS on steam, got a picture of finn on there.

I am hell of psyched with the modular weapons and stuff, it was the worst having to choose between weird acog silencer or holosight GL variants of certain weapons and just not giving enough of a poo poo and always defaulting to a DMR.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Check your Steam invites.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Rubber Slug posted:

I have an i5 750 OCd to 3.7ghz and a 6990 and get at least 30 in most cases, more in single player. Remember that f you're playing MP, your fps seems locked to the hosts.

If you haven't overclocked your CPU yet, you should. It's one of the easiest CPUs to overclock. And games these days want all the CPU power you can toss at it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wow, I finally managed to get a decent game going on that coop dynamic warfare mission where people were actually using voip. We would coordinate actual squad tactics and even had high-flying ISR after the KA60 dropped us off. Now I see what makes ARMA so fun, can't wait to play with actual goons instead of pubbers and shoot army mans.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Got one, thanks!

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 14, 2013

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Justin Tyme posted:

Wow, I finally managed to get a decent game going on that coop dynamic warfare mission where people were actually using voip. We would coordinate actual squad tactics and even had high-flying ISR after the KA60 dropped us off. Now I see what makes ARMA so fun, can't wait to play with actual goons instead of pubbers and shoot army mans.

Totally this. When you play with people who are slightly organised (but still actually enjoy the game rather than sperg about it) it really comes into it's own. Although I think the AI at the moment is a bit annoying. They seem to be able to spot you from hundreds of metres away even if you're using a suppressor and are prone in some bushes. Then they never lose sight of you.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NaDy posted:

Although I think the AI at the moment is a bit annoying. They seem to be able to spot you from hundreds of metres away even if you're using a suppressor and are prone in some bushes. Then they never lose sight of you.

Yeah anything with AI right now is kinda horrible because of this.. I have been enjoying TDM though, for what it is.

Wasteland as a civilian has been fun too for the 2-3 hours in total I've been able to play. Lots of crashing/hard lock/fail to join stuff right now. Not bad for an alpha though!

tjones
May 13, 2005

NaDy posted:

Although I think the AI at the moment is a bit annoying. They seem to be able to spot you from hundreds of metres away even if you're using a suppressor and are prone in some bushes. Then they never lose sight of you.

This can be changed by using the setSkill Array functionality. There are two parameters of the array that specifically handle the skill of a unit's spotting ability ("spotTime" and "spotDistance").

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setSkill_array

Individually setting each parameter of a unit's skill array will allow you to tailor the AI's abilities to a more suitable level.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Yeah the AI are pretty ridiculous at times. I've been manually setting the AI skill and accuracy to more manageable levels on the couple of missions I'm working on, but it seems most missions on Armaholic aren't doing anything like that. Most of the low-player coops are hilariously badly made in other ways, as well.

I mean go download and try this, if he hasn't fixed it already. The way the tasks are set up is hilarious.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I imagine given enough time people making missions will get the hang of the AI skill. Apart from that, I'm really pleased with the alpha. Also according to this it's doing very well.

http://amog.com/tech/gaming/156430-arma-3s-alpha-version-big-success/

quote:

It appears that Bohemia Interactive is elated as of the moment because their ARMA 3‘s alpha version is becoming a big hit. In fact, their numbers of users are more than the number of previous ARMA players combined.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Does anyone know a way to turn off the xbox controller rumble for Arma 3? I love flying helicopters with it, but I hate the amount of noise it makes when i'm not flying. Unplugging it isn't really an option since I have to restart my game for it to work again.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Looks like we all just switched to Dev build, and dam it makes a huge impact on FPS.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Theres an addon that disables it on Armaholic.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Does anyone know a way to turn off the xbox controller rumble for Arma 3? I love flying helicopters with it, but I hate the amount of noise it makes when i'm not flying. Unplugging it isn't really an option since I have to restart my game for it to work again.

You should be able to get it to work again without restarting Arma by opening the controls menu after plugging it back in. That's how it worked in Arma2 anyway.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Fraser CDN posted:

Looks like we all just switched to Dev build, and dam it makes a huge impact on FPS.

Yeah, if you were experiencing any performance issues at all with Arma 3, move over to the dev build. The shadow optimizations made a huge impact. Enough to make Wasteland playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

kloa posted:

Uh, Domination near Agia seems to reduce everyones FPS.

e: :laffo:

So, he wants to imply that an individual who lives at home, uses adblocker, and is unemployed is some how less valuable than being a nerd playing video games on youtube? :smuggo:

Gamers will always entertain me with their unwarranted narcissism.