Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I too have a video of (mostly) goon games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qorQ1yyw3SQ

Warioware DIY owned.

Also: NO BIRDS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K54tJDSc_T4&t=79s

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Soul Glo posted:

The more I read about next week's game, the more excited I am for Need for Speed. The game looks dope, is supposed to run great on the hardware, and Burnout Paradise was the last great racing game I played, which was made by the same people.

I can't just can't decide if I'm gonna buy NfS for $60, or hit Target's deal and get Lego, NfS and Monster Hunter for $120. That's a lotta cash, but I'd be set on games for a long while, and I'd get to use my Wii U a ton. Plus: two of those have online multiplayer.

I did this exact thing myself with Best Buy's buy one get one half off that worked with the preorders. Had to fight with Best Buy because they hated my bank for some reason when I had just bought things from them before and after but they totally honored it so I got MH for 60, Lego for 25 coming the day after their launch days and getting NFS in store too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I normally use gamecube controllers with friends but obviously the wiiU wont use them. I hate batteries with a passion and the main reason my wii collected dust was I didn't want to buy batteries and the lovely charge stand battery lasted a year before the stand broke but after a month the battery it came with only lasted an hour. Are there any wiimotes that I can plug in while playing? I never have the foresight to charge the things the day before. If your friends go hey! Lets play wii! Suddenly you are waiting a few hours for the remotes to charge and can't go out to buy some AAs because its past 9PM and you are not in the city so everything closes at 9.

If there is a batter pack that charges over USB and fits into my wiimote that would work too. I have my computer next to my wiiU so plugging stuff in just to charge is not a problem, neither is cable length because I have a dozen 10 foot USB extension cables. Maybe I should just get some of the wiiU pro controllers that I assume just charge like the tablet.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

GOOD
BYE

Still cracks me the gently caress up.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

pixaal posted:

I normally use gamecube controllers with friends but obviously the wiiU wont use them. I hate batteries with a passion and the main reason my wii collected dust was I didn't want to buy batteries and the lovely charge stand battery lasted a year before the stand broke but after a month the battery it came with only lasted an hour. Are there any wiimotes that I can plug in while playing? I never have the foresight to charge the things the day before. If your friends go hey! Lets play wii! Suddenly you are waiting a few hours for the remotes to charge and can't go out to buy some AAs because its past 9PM and you are not in the city so everything closes at 9.

If there is a batter pack that charges over USB and fits into my wiimote that would work too. I have my computer next to my wiiU so plugging stuff in just to charge is not a problem, neither is cable length because I have a dozen 10 foot USB extension cables. Maybe I should just get some of the wiiU pro controllers that I assume just charge like the tablet.

Invest in some rechargeable batteries. At any point I have four on the charger waiting to be used, and all my gaming stuff (besides PS3 controllers and the WiiU game pad) has them installed. I just bought Energizer's stuff, but people seem to talk about how great Eneloop is. It get about 10-15 hours out if a charge, and it takes 20 minutes to recharge four at a time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

GI_Clutch posted:

Yeah, goon games were fun. This was my masterpiece. Social commentary at its finest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY6XsL0iX-Q

Absolute genius.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Anyone have any idea when the March system update will go out? I'm getting frustrated with how long the loading times between menus are. Also at how spotty the internet seems to be on the thing. Pages will randomly not load but be fine when I hit refresh.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Uh.... isn't the update meant to come out next month?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it was originally supposed to be March but lately in interviews they've been saying April.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
How long do you think it'll take for an official Wii U price drop at this point?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

EC posted:

Invest in some rechargeable batteries. At any point I have four on the charger waiting to be used, and all my gaming stuff (besides PS3 controllers and the WiiU game pad) has them installed. I just bought Energizer's stuff, but people seem to talk about how great Eneloop is. It get about 10-15 hours out if a charge, and it takes 20 minutes to recharge four at a time.

I can vouche for enloop. Had some energizer recharaegables that hold a charge after maybe 7 months. A batch of 12 enloop, between maybe 5 devices with two sets per device, and everything is still going strong two years later. Can't recommend these things enough; though, you can apparently get other brand rechargaeblges (including energizers) that are in fact rebranded enloop batteries, so if you have had your for a good long while, that may what happened.

Personally, I would spend the extra 50 cents, if there is ever any difference, and buy the enloops specifically... hell, I already did!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ghostwritingduck posted:

How long do you think it'll take for an official Wii U price drop at this point?

Years. Like any other console.

The 3DS should be seen as an exception, not a real precedent. They're already selling the Wii U at a loss, they will ride this slow start out.

E: Well, it might make sense to do a small one this Winter if the next Xbox and PS4 hit $299, but is that likely? Otherwise, I don't see why they would until component prices drop. They certainly have enough money to continue the slow sales, if the rumors about their warchest are true, anyway.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 15, 2013

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Soul Glo posted:

Years. Like any other console.

The 3DS should be seen as an exception, not a real precedent. They're already selling the Wii U at a loss, they will ride this slow start out.

E: Well, it might make sense to do a small one this Winter if the next Xbox and PS4 hit $299, but is that likely? Otherwise, I don't see why they would until component prices drop. They certainly have enough money to continue the slow sales, if the rumors about their warchest are true, anyway.

Just for a frame of reference:

The Wii may have lasted three years until there was a price drop, but the Gamecube and Nintendo had 25% price drops six months after they came out. I'm predicting that the Wii U follows the pattern of the Gamecube and N64 in this case.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 15, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

Just for a frame of reference:

The Wii may have lasted three years until there was a price drop, but the Gamecube and Nintendo had 25% price drops six months after they came out. I'm predicting that the Wii U follows the pattern of the Gamecube and N64 in this case.

Were either of those systems sold at a loss? I'm speaking under the impression that the Wii U is the first Nintendo console sold for less than what it costs to make. Why would they take more of a hit after just six months?

And apparently more than that "one game sold makes up for it" mistruth that Reggie first talked about, too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I doubt that they'd drop price before the PS4 or Durango launch.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

Were either of those systems sold at a loss? I'm speaking under the impression that the Wii U is the first Nintendo console sold for less than what it costs to make.

Gamecube was sold at a loss initially.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How much money is made or lost on the console doesn't compare to the money made or lost on software sales so Nintendo should really consider a price drop this holiday and get it into as many homes as they can.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

I doubt that they'd drop price before the PS4 or Durango launch.

I'm basing my speculation on unofficial price drops http://wiiudaily.com/2013/03/wii-u-gets-an-unofficial-price-drop-in-europe/ in addition to articles about low sales.

Waiting for the PS4 launch would be a mistake since it appears that there's already more games in development for that than the Wii U. I love Nintendo games and like their other systems, I'm sure the eventual library will be very nice, but things are really rough right now.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 15, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

How much money is made or lost on the console doesn't compare to the money made or lost on software sales so Nintendo should really consider a price drop this holiday and get it into as many homes as they can.

The Wii U wouldn't sell if they priced it at $99 with the amount of games it has right now. I bet they don't even know when a price drop is planned; they need to see how software sells first, when there's software actually out.

Since games are hitting next week, March's numbers should be the first indication of the Wii U's success (or failure) since launch, really.

Banking on there being a price drop when there isn't one guaranteed is kind of silly, if that's what you're personally waiting for to buy a console anyway (versus just theorizing on when console sales pick up in the general public). On an individual level, you're better off just grabbing one on sale or with a good promotion, like Target's $50 gift card thing they're about to do.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I'm a little worried that the new 3d Mario or Zelda will be rushed to market in an attempt to get system sales going. Aside from just getting games out I'm not sure what Nintendo can actually do to help sales at this point.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Atomicated posted:

I'm a little worried that the new 3d Mario or Zelda will be rushed to market in an attempt to get system sales going. Aside from just getting games out I'm not sure what Nintendo can actually do to help sales at this point.

I think you're halfway right, but only because they've effectively confirmed this already for Zelda. They're releasing a remake for Wind Waker well ahead of the new installment, a lot of people never played that one but heard good things about it afterwards and the character designs have turned out pretty popular in recent years. By pushing that out, they buy time on the original Wii U title.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I'm excited for Wind Waker for sure, that's what keeps me going. I really am trying to love the Wii U but to be honest I barely turn it on. And as mentioned, I'm sure the higher ups at Nintendo have now pulled a few months from every devs timeline in an attempt to get product out quickly.

What's sad is that Nintendo is repeating the 3DS launch to the letter. Learn from your mistakes guys, one triple a title cannot carry you this far from launch.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

As for how to rebound, they need EXCELLENT (not good) software to drive sales. Software so good that you have no choice BUT to buy the system.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

juicecube posted:

As for how to rebound, they need EXCELLENT (not good) software to drive sales. Software so good that you have no choice BUT to buy the system.

So the next mario, zelda, and smash bros basically. They probably should've planned ahead with this poo poo.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I have been downloading assassin's creed for like 8 hours now.. Is this normal?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Soul Glo posted:

The Wii U wouldn't sell if they priced it at $99 with the amount of games it has right now.

This isn't true.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hopefully their slow development process is partially the result of them lacking a next generation game development engine. I think most Wii games are still running on the same engine that powered the original Pikmin and Sunshine, and probably their WiiU offerings so far. Retro is apparently heavily involved in the creation of their new engine. Maybe once that materializes they can make games faster. Maybe the current ones are taking long because they aren't familiar with them yet.

Then again Nintendo had just never been known for speedy development as far as I know. It's almost like artistic vision of director trumps deadlines over there. That has both an upside and downside.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

juicecube posted:

What's sad is that Nintendo is repeating the 3DS launch to the letter. Learn from your mistakes guys, one triple a title cannot carry you this far from launch.
Yes it can if that game is Wii Sports.

Nintendo didn't get that poor marketing plus "not having Wii Sports" wasn't going to be enough.

And I'm afraid the tablet, even as cool as it is, kept them from hitting the price point they really need to do what they want to do.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

This isn't true.

Look up "hyperbole" in the dictionary, maybe.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Soul Glo posted:

Look up "hyperbole" in the dictionary, maybe.

It's a Nintendo thread, so it's full of really extreme hyperbole about Nintendo on the brink of failure/bankruptcy/irrelevancy. Saying something like "The Wii U wouldn't sell if they priced it at $99 with the amount of games it has right now" doesn't even register on the hyperbole radar.

E: Basically I'm saying your statement didn't register as hyperbole to me, either.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I agreed yes, last time Wii Sports definitely carried Nintendo through the 'post launch draught' so to speak. But not to underestimate the value/impact that bundling had on their ability to print money with the Wii.

Nintendo basically bundled their best game for the system at launch.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Their real problem still to me is the fact that they look like they are heavily banking on offline-centric multiplayer to carry their games. That might work for party gamers but for a large portion of the market it will not and I think that portion includes both the dedicate people who stuck it out through the 64 and Cube as well as the clueless old people they targeted with the Wii. I still think the WiiU has a bright future but as long as they keep pushing this strategy it will not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I do think it's pretty fuckin stupid that the first online co-op game Nintendo is publishing is for 3DS and not Wii U. (Luigi's Mansion 2)

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

ghostwritingduck posted:

I'm basing my speculation on unofficial price drops http://wiiudaily.com/2013/03/wii-u-gets-an-unofficial-price-drop-in-europe/ in addition to articles about low sales.

Waiting for the PS4 launch would be a mistake since it appears that there's already more games in development for that than the Wii U. I love Nintendo games and like their other systems, I'm sure the eventual library will be very nice, but things are really rough right now.

Speaking of articles about low sales

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-15-north-american-wii-u-sales-show-dismal-start-to-2013

quote:

It's worth bearing in mind that GameCube and Wii sales only ebbed that low right before their successor consoles came out - not three months after their launch, as the Wii U has done.
Those Gamecube and Wii bars are 60 months, and the WiiU bar is 3 months.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

A pricedrop isn't right for Nintendo right now. They will probably take the "value added" route (i.e. bundling, limited release designs and colours).

Miiverse isn't properly being represented in the Company's advertising either.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The sales figures are awful, but I honestly don't care. It has been an extremely long time since I ever depended on a single platform to satisfy my gaming habit and I have never purchased any console which I felt was not worth what I paid by the time I truly stopped using it. It will be the same case with the Wii U. A lot of people tend to get wrapped up in this stuff, but really..the only people who should care are Nintendo, its investors, and their competitors. As for the rest of us, what matters most isn't going away or changing all that dramatically. Not any time soon at least.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I really think the low numbers can really be blamed on software AND advertising. I don't think I've seen one TV ad about the Wii U. Not one.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Red posted:

I really think the low numbers can really be blamed on software AND advertising. I don't think I've seen one TV ad about the Wii U. Not one.

I've seen a few, but recently I've seen more TV ads for freakin Assassin's Creed 4 coming out in late October(!) than the WiiU.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Gamecube should have had worse sales at first but they had Smash for Christmas. Aside from the launch titles and Melee, everything was a sports port.

Companies should be flooding the eShop with HD versions of GC and Wii games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Xavier434 posted:

The sales figures are awful, but I honestly don't care. It has been an extremely long time since I ever depended on a single platform to satisfy my gaming habit and I have never purchased any console which I felt was not worth what I paid by the time I truly stopped using it. It will be the same case with the Wii U. A lot of people tend to get wrapped up in this stuff, but really..the only people who should care are Nintendo, its investors, and their competitors. As for the rest of us, what matters most isn't going away or changing all that dramatically. Not any time soon at least.

Unless of course what matters most is getting those games that had been in development for Wii U but now no longer are or were being considered but no longer are, etc. Being first in a close race doesn't, or at least shouldn't, matter to consumers but being far enough behind that you don't get multiplats really, really should. I got my moneys worth out of the Cube, I suppose, but I could have got so much more and it really bit watching games that could have fit on it remain PS2 only or PS2/Xbox only.

• Locked thread