Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Anyone down to play some Arma 3 Domination tonight? I might start up a server here in a few minutes, just checking for interest.

Heck yea. We usually finish 2 of the 4 objectives and then people give up or go to sleep. Want to finish them all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

it stated very clearly on the buy arma3 page before release

Fuuuuuccck. What is even the point

tjones
May 13, 2005

RentACop posted:

For players to see how it runs on their system and build interest I would assume. It's free after all. Things may change when they go gold considering they released Arma2Free.

I'd at least like to be able to save missions with the LITE editor but those are the breaks.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

RentACop posted:

To see if you can run it without spending money?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RentACop posted:

its like $30... don't be a tightwad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If they'd just called it the ArmA 3 Alpha Demo no one would have any problems with it not having multiplayer. Think of it that way.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sagebrush posted:

If they'd just called it the ArmA 3 Alpha Demo no one would have any problems with it not having multiplayer. Think of it that way.

I think the LITE should have been sufficient enough. But here we are. Anyway, the game runs pretty bad on an Intel i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz and a 660 TI. Is this just going to be a thing going forward with my CPU or is Arma III and Arma II just exceptions to the rule?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
660 Ti user here and the regular alpha runs fine for me, but then again I've got an i5-3570K; note though that historically Arma games have been more CPU-dependent than GPU-dependent, and Arma 3 is generally assumed to be the same even if it's more "optimized".

No idea if any of the performance changes for the live alpha are ever going to be granted onto the Alpha Lite though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Chortles posted:

660 Ti user here and the regular alpha runs fine for me, but then again I've got an i5-3570K; note though that historically Arma games have been more CPU-dependent than GPU-dependent, and Arma 3 is generally assumed to be the same even if it's more "optimized".

No idea if any of the performance changes for the live alpha are ever going to be granted onto the Alpha Lite though.

I see, they are running different builds? That would explain a lot since I am on Lite. I've just been kinda riding out my i7 920 and I'm starting to feel it struggle with PS2 and Arma.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In fairness, apparently Planetside 2 is unoptimized as hell (like the previous Arma games were notorious for)... the thing is though, there's both stable and development builds for the 'full' alpha (right-click Arma 3 Alpha in Steam Library, click Properties, click Betas tab) and people have reported performance gains when using the latter -- but there's no internal QA for the latter, so I'm not certain.

I do recall hearing that Arma 2's single-player demo never benefited from any of the performance improvements (however piddling they may seem) for Arma 2 or for OA.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ularg posted:

I see, they are running different builds? That would explain a lot since I am on Lite. I've just been kinda riding out my i7 920 and I'm starting to feel it struggle with PS2 and Arma.

Both games simply will not run well on any machine. Play some thing like bf3 and look how that performs, it's incredible.

The bad thing about pc gaming is the constant nag that pc needs upgrading when it really doesn't. Fight it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

its like $30... don't be a tightwad

No man, I got the game but I want to play with my friends, and since the alpha invites turn off in june or something anyway I don't really see the need to cut out multi. Buuut whatever

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

RentACop posted:

No man, I got the game but I want to play with my friends, and since the alpha invites turn off in june or something anyway I don't really see the need to cut out multi. Buuut whatever

Multiplayer is meant for people who prepurchased. You can always cancel it through Steam if you end up not liking it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RentACop posted:

Fair enough, my apologies.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Ularg posted:

Multiplayer is meant for people who prepurchased. You can always cancel it through Steam if you end up not liking it.
It doesn't seem to really work that way though? Or at least, it appears to be a full purchase and not a regular cancel-able prepurchase.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Chortles posted:

It doesn't seem to really work that way though? Or at least, it appears to be a full purchase and not a regular cancel-able prepurchase.

Now I'm confused, I'll back out. Sorry.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The thing is that regular prepurchases have a countdown -- for example, BioShock Infinite's page has "Available: March 26th, 2013 This game will unlock in approximately 1 week, 2 days and 9 hours" -- and the purchase prompt says "Pre-Purchase Bioshock Infinite", whereas Arma 3 has "Buy Arma 3 Alpha" and "Buy Arma 3: Digital Deluxe Edition".

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Yeah, I distinctly remember reading something about it being a full un-cancel-able purchase during the purchase.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I hooked up my TrackIR to ARMA3 and I must say it's pretty sweet.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011
So, here's a puzzle I can't make heads or tails of.

The typical BIS forum dork that complains about DayZ (Mind you, I do, too, but I remedy this by simply not playing) and ArmA 3's setting also seems to hate that ArmA 3 is getting the Take On Helicopters flight model.

I thought they were opposed to "casualizing" the game? It's not even a difficult flight model. I'm looking forward to it simply because I like the idea of providing CAS to friends and not using the training-wheels flight modeling.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

SkopeDog posted:

So, here's a puzzle I can't make heads or tails of.

The typical BIS forum dork that complains about DayZ (Mind you, I do, too, but I remedy this by simply not playing) and ArmA 3's setting also seems to hate that ArmA 3 is getting the Take On Helicopters flight model.

I thought they were opposed to "casualizing" the game? It's not even a difficult flight model. I'm looking forward to it simply because I like the idea of providing CAS to friends and not using the training-wheels flight modeling.

The flight modelling that's in now will also be in the full game, but it will be tweaked and fixed. For example, the Little Birds in game have an awful damage model that is definitely going to get a lot harder. I'm pretty sure Dwarden mentioned that the Take on Helicoptors FM wasn't even a big priority to bring into the game, and may even come in a patch after launch at this point, but I can't find the post where he said that, so take it with a grain of salt.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love
Anyone still need an Alpha invite? PM me, I have 2 left.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
So, i assume the Take On Helicopters flight behavior is more accurate than the Arma 2 one? I'm probably in the complete minority, but i absolutely hate oversimplified helicopter controls (stuff like absolute 3 axis control with wasd+up/down) and kind of want them to go all out and make flying helicopters really challenging - right now i'm a bit disappointed with how easy it is to get up and from A to B even while using something as silly as a gamepad.

Whats the ultimate goal for these upcoming tweaks?

And how extensive could i mod vehicle behavior myself (if possible at all)?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I don't think the game is currently using the Take on Helicopter flight model. They said the current flight model for helicopters was a placeholder.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VarXX posted:

I don't think the game is currently using the Take on Helicopter flight model. They said the current flight model for helicopters was a placeholder.

It's not a placeholder, it's just going to be one of the available flight models. If the TKOH flight model comes in, it will be as an optional one, not the only flight model. I for one really like the Arma 2 flight model for helicopters, and there's a few things that the Arma 3 flight model does better then the Arma 2 FM, mainly the fact that the collective is more responsive. The Take On Helicoptors Flight model, while really cool and challenging, isn't forgiving, and is a bit :spergin: for the broad Combined Arms experience that the Arma series brings to the table in my opinion, but to each their own. Next people are going to be clamouring for DCS FC3 style fixed wing aircraft simulation and that Steel Beasts tank simulator for armour :rolleyes:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 17, 2013

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I was just surprised they allowed helicopters to do barrel rolls and flips without much penalty. For a game claiming to be ultra realistic that's about as far from aerodynamically correct as you can get.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Triggs posted:

I was just surprised they allowed helicopters to do barrel rolls and flips without much penalty. For a game claiming to be ultra realistic that's about as far from aerodynamically correct as you can get.

Light and medium sized helicoptors can do that, fairly easily too, they just don't because of the inherent safety risk and regulations involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSyCXgZFSw

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

Mederlock posted:

It's not a placeholder, it's just going to be one of the available flight models. If the TKOH flight model comes in, it will be as an optional one, not the only flight model. I for one really like the Arma 2 flight model for helicopters, and there's a few things that the Arma 3 flight model does better then the Arma 2 FM, mainly the fact that the collective is more responsive. The Take On Helicoptors Flight model, while really cool and challenging, isn't forgiving, and is a bit :spergin: for the broad Combined Arms experience that the Arma series brings to the table in my opinion, but to each their own. Next people are going to be clamouring for DCS FC3 style fixed wing aircraft simulation and that Steel Beasts tank simulator for armour :rolleyes:

It is a place holder, physx 3 has barely been implemented so everything is very basic right now they'll be improving the physx helicopter flight models alongside the eventual TKOH one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Triggs posted:

Actually, it never claimed to be ultra realistic simulator.
They always had lots of concessions, like unlimited sprint, third person camera, crosshairs, and lots of indicators to help people like the enemy tags. And that's the more "realistic" part, the infantry side, their vehicles always have been kind of simplified, both in controls and functionality.
Their fans always have been more mil-spergy than them :P.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I like the flight model at the moment. It means I can scare the poo poo out of passengers in my littlebird by buzzing the ground for the whole flight with very minimal risk.

Unless I clip a tree then it's every man for himself.

The_Skeeter
Jan 28, 2007
I put the mayo in Patty Mayonnaise
Am I the only who wishes they updated the death animations since ARMA I?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The_Skeeter posted:

Uh, they're ragdolls now. Unless there's an animation before they switch to ragdolls that I'm missing.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kerc Kasha posted:

It is a place holder, physx 3 has barely been implemented so everything is very basic right now they'll be improving the physx helicopter flight models alongside the eventual TKOH one.

Oh, yeah, in that sense it is a placeholder, but the general idea behind it is still going to be there.

StevieWonder
Dec 27, 2012
I think it'd feel bad if one aspect of the game (air) was basically sim level, while everything else isn't.

People who already have flying equipment, such as rudder pedals, throttles, joysticks, and trackir already have an advantage in the air.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mederlock posted:

Next people are going to be clamouring for DCS FC3 style fixed wing aircraft simulation and that Steel Beasts tank simulator for armour :rolleyes:

That would be pretty great, actually. Or, more realistically, at least something World of Tanks-level. Damage modeling is great because it becomes a whole new game when you've got a damaged vehicle and have to continue to fight/safely retreat with it, and it makes it more interesting to fight against the vehicles too, since you could to things like try to make a tank throw a tread, at which point the tank crew would need to call in support, or clear out the area until it was safe enough to get out and fix themselves.

Turin Turambar posted:

Actually, it never claimed to be ultra realistic simulator.
They always had lots of concessions, like unlimited sprint, third person camera, crosshairs, and lots of indicators to help people like the enemy tags. And that's the more "realistic" part, the infantry side, their vehicles always have been kind of simplified, both in controls and functionality.
Their fans always have been more mil-spergy than them :P.

Unlimited sprint has been removed now that they have the more detailed inventory system, and the rest are configurable difficulty options. Not really "concessions" except insofar as that they give you a choice, which is fine.

VVVV Are you sure you're not thinking of ACE?

Ralith fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2013

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Arma 2 never had unlimited sprint. It was quite short, actually.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Mederlock posted:

Light and medium sized helicoptors can do that, fairly easily too, they just don't because of the inherent safety risk and regulations involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSyCXgZFSw

Oh I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying there should be a huge drop in altitude and airspeed. As the game stands you can basically pitch and roll perfectly on a target 180 degrees behind you.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The_Skeeter posted:

There are no death animations. Ragdolls now. The only complaint I have about them is that they "fly" when killed.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

That would be pretty great, actually. Or, more realistically, at least something World of Tanks-level. Damage modeling is great because it becomes a whole new game when you've got a damaged vehicle and have to continue to fight/safely retreat with it, and it makes it more interesting to fight against the vehicles too, since you could to things like try to make a tank throw a tread, at which point the tank crew would need to call in support, or clear out the area until it was safe enough to get out and fix themselves

You already can tread a tank, even as specific as only taking out only one and not the other. You can also take out the gun, but not the turret, or the turret but not the gun. Fixed wing aircraft have a laughably bad damage model in Arma 2, and it would be cool to see that improved, but the game itself isn't a full out simulator, and never pretended to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Orv posted:

Uh, they're ragdolls now. Unless there's an animation before they switch to ragdolls that I'm missing.

I think death animations will come in the new build