Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Also can one of the mods make this the new avatar for xboxpants :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Now I just feel like I'm exploiting the guy I made an ouyaaaahhh bet with.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Every time I see an article or interview about the BOOYEAH I think to myself that it really boils down to the fact that the system can't survive without good exclusive games, but what they have are lovely non-exclusive games.

Don't get me wrong, the hardware and firmware are also terrible.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
5 minutes into the sxsw interview all you can see is the back of heads standing up to leave. She also isn't answering any questions :stare:

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I'm not sure if this was meant to be a playable game or just a dummy file they put on the disc to use up remaining space. I also kinda want to see it in motion, but I have a feeling that "motion" is only loosely applied in this case.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That looks like something you'd see in a 90s movie when they show someone playing video games.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Requested_Username posted:

Sweet, IP infringement in the very first game!
IP infringement is just the indie community's way of saying "maybe if I kiss enough rear end the developers of real games will notice me and not in a lawsuit kind of way I really respect your game!"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I'm pretty sure including Meatboy is fair use because The Blockman Cometh is clearly a parody of itself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Super Meat Boy had a lot of indie cameos so if I have Super Meat Boy cameo in my indie game, it's like they're all my friends.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Waffleman_ posted:

Super Meat Boy had a lot of indie cameos so if I have Super Meat Boy cameo in my indie game, it's like they're all my friends.
It'd be hilarious if the developer of The Blockman Cometh didn't realize "maybe those people know Team Meat and/or asked for permission to use his likeness first," and instead thought "indie devs are indie so they don't care about copyright and stuff! Fight the power!"

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

"...It doesn't matter how inexpensive my box is." Indeed.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Someone's having illusions of grandeur.

quote:

I see so many deprecating and melodramatic comments from people who really just don't understand what this device is about. The games already lined up for this thing are going to be a big hit. People somehow think Android as the OS means "just like the games found on your phone". They are oh so terribly mistaken. Android is a very flexible and very powerful Linux-based OS and it is capable of so much more than just being a phone OS. You can run a laptop or PC off of Android and get full-screen 1080p video.

And this is not just about emulators and classic games either, but those emulators are a great added plus. With a DOSBox emulator, you can make the Ouya run just about any PC-based game. Since the thing has both Bluetooth and USB, you can possibly configure it to use a wireless Android keyboard and mouse set, if those are needed for your game play.

I can't wait to play Shadowrun Online and Double Fine Adventure, both of which are way too complex and way graphical to be played on most mobile phones. They are both coming out first on the Ouya exclusively. There are 500 other titles out there already in the works. They are part of the whole reason this thing uses a powerful Tegra 3 GPU and not some piss poor 128-bit card.

:psyduck:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Whoever suggested The Emperor's New Clothes made the most perfect comparison to anything ever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I watched both Julie videos. Goddamn is she capable of giving a straight and non-contradictory answer?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

quote:

The games already lined up for this thing are going to be a big hit.

quote:

a big hit

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

WendigoJohnson posted:

Alright first off is some sort of third person endless runner/shooter named The Blockman Cometh: I Wanna be A B.E.L.I.E.V.E.R

I can't find anything on Google about this game. Who the hell made it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Was there ever a wide shot of this auditorium?

The 7-up of consoles.

More like the Crystal Pepsi of consoles.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Well I've got 150 LEON BUDDs farming Bitcoins now. I'm generating one Slim Jim worth of Bitcoins every 6 hours. Now whenever I need excitement I simply snap into a Slim Jim. OUUUUUYYYYYAAAA.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh sweet Jesus this SXSW interview is so bad. Having a wet dream about your grandmother-level bad.

(On the subject of having other companies produce OUYA's)

Topolsky: "Are you talking to people about that right now?"

Uhrman: "Talking to everybody."

Topolsky: "Can you tell me who you're talking to?"

Uhrman: "No I can't."

Topolsky: "Do you...want to share any details or information on any deals you're currently making?"

Urhman: "No I don't."

Topolsky: "Are you sure?"

Urhman: "Yes I am."

She's just saying whatever she thinks sounds the best! It's like watching a child before they learn how to lie.

Zelder fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 17, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, at some points it's very clear she's making poo poo up to sound confident, like when she says that it's a good thing that most of the OUYA developers are first-timers. That whole interview is great, it's hilarious to listen to the interviewer give less and less of a drat as time goes on, and every crowd callback failure just adds to it.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should have just taken the money and got a nice home in Venezuela or something.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Scirocco Griffon posted:

I'm not sure if this was meant to be a playable game or just a dummy file they put on the disc to use up remaining space. I also kinda want to see it in motion, but I have a feeling that "motion" is only loosely applied in this case.

Don't be silly, it's completely animated.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How can any sane or intelligent human being look at that SXSW interview and think 'This will be a successful product by a smart person who knows what they're doing.' It has to be the litmus test for how gullible someone is.

Wow, just...wow. People really love drinking that kool-aid down by the barrel.

DalaranJ posted:

Every time I see an article or interview about the BOOYEAH I think to myself that it really boils down to the fact that the system can't survive without good exclusive games, but what they have are lovely non-exclusive games.

This is pretty much why the SHITBOX is dead in the water. Exclusives are the only thing keeping people anchored to a console (besides brand loyalty, which is built on exclusive games and franchises). Without exclusives, there's no reason to stick around. Especially with the competition the SHITBOX faces. Not just from other consoles, which would be brutal enough, but with tablets (both android and iOS), smartphones (again, android and iOS), android sticks & boxes, the raspberry pi and the PC itself. If it survives long enough, it'll then face more competition from the steambox. There is absolutely no reason to believe this will be successful after the SXSW interview (before it was doubtful, but this put the nail in the coffin).

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Wow it's interesting to see how much better of an interviewer Josh Topolsky is than Tim Stevens. Probably the biggest thing was that Josh wasn't going to let her go away with a bunch of marketing in the interview.

Also the same canned lines over again. She did change a few things like saying how they "have experienced developers who have never developed an Android game before" from "most of our developers have never built a game before".

Dec 26, 2012

Because "has ever kind of used or maybe looked at the documents for the Unity engine" means "experienced".

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

In that case, "washed out of first year at Full Sail and got a cease and desist letter from at least one company over a fangame" would probably be enough for John Romero-level rockstar programmer status in SHOOBEDOO land.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ol' Crazy Eyes thinks that this is a killer app:

http://www.stalagflight.com/

I hope you guys who bought these dumb things enjoy your doorstops.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

zenintrude posted:

You say this as if they're sturdy enough to hold a door open.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Now there's a Kickstarter. Android powered, open source indie doorstop. Compatible to all Apple products of course.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Ol' Crazy Eyes thinks that this is a killer app:

http://www.stalagflight.com/

This website doesn't seem to work.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lizard Wizard posted:

This website doesn't seem to work.

Works fine here. I'll just post the funny part.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
So, to flip the conversation around slightly, who's considering picking one of these up as a piece of video game history?

I kinda am.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

So, to flip the conversation around slightly, who's considering picking one of these up as a piece of video game history?

I kinda am.

My nephew funded this so he can have the piece of video game history, it doesn't interest me so much. Instead I'm spending time playing around with a stickdroid which I have plugged directly into my tv. When fully loaded it runs quite hot so I'm not sure how long it will last until it dies.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Devian666 posted:

When fully loaded it runs quite hot so I'm not sure how long it will last until it dies.

If it's running at under 140 degrees Fahrenheit, it should be fine. Will hurt like a bitch if you touch it though.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hav posted:

I kinda am.

I thought about it, but at this point I can't even morally get one for ironic purposes. I would do nothing with it, anyway.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

NewtGoongrich posted:

Well I've got 150 LEON BUDDs farming Bitcoins now. I'm generating one Slim Jim worth of Bitcoins every 6 hours. Now whenever I need excitement I simply snap into a Slim Jim. OUUUUUYYYYYAAAA.

If your entire days-long setup was to post this Slim Jim joke...it was well worth it. :golfclap:

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Hav posted:

I kinda am.

My dad is a massive google fanboy and therefore assumed that anything android would be THE FUTURE so along with my brothers he decided to back it. I thought it was pretty pointless because none of us play on consoles anyway (this was of course before I looked into it) but even now they're still looking forward to it so I'm just planning on enjoying the schadenfreude in person when it arrives.

It's been fun pointing out how dumb the FUTURE is so at this point my brother's only rationalization for wanting one is so he can root it and at least put some decent software on it.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
I just figured it out. The OHHHHYEAAAHHDIGIT is a reverse engineered Weeble Wobble. Now I experience the frustration of it never falling down, and the satisfaction of tapping it to the floor and defeating it much like I did when I was a child.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

If it's running at under 140 degrees Fahrenheit, it should be fine. Will hurt like a bitch if you touch it though.

It's probably running around that temperature. I pulled out the usb dongle for the wireless remote and the metal usb cover was hot to touch and approaching skin burn temperature which is around 140F+. So far it hasn't crashed due to temperature, just whatever stupid things I've been doing to it. Actually it's only ever gone slow and not crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Devian666 posted:

It's probably running around that temperature. I pulled out the usb dongle for the wireless remote and the metal usb cover was hot to touch and approaching skin burn temperature which is around 140F+. So far it hasn't crashed due to temperature, just whatever stupid things I've been doing to it. Actually it's only ever gone slow and not crashed.

Yeah they're designed to automatically underclock themselves in case they get too hot (desktop and laptop CPUs do that too, but they have controllable fans that kick on first in most cases).

If you happen to have an old computer or video card lying around, and don't mind the stick looking dumber, you can remove a heatsink from them and attach it to the stick itself or to the chip inside it directly, to help it stay cool.

• Locked thread