Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really like the ragdolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
From the brief experience I've had with the game so far (it barely runs at all on my current PC and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of all the parts for a new one :argh:) I've mostly seen enemies drop like a limp sack of potatoes when they die, which I find pretty awesome to be honest, as it's pretty much exactly what real people look like when they get shot.

That's probably one of the creepiest things I've ever posted here but there you go :I

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Ralith posted:

VVVV Are you sure you're not thinking of ACE?

You only get a speed bonus for around 10 seconds. After that, you retain the sprint animation but you run just as fast as someone who's jogging.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Hnnnnnggggg this would be amazing :fap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlNtYoyUBw

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:shlick:

That's amazing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Amagad I need a trackir

Whats the best trackir?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Baloogan posted:

Amagad I need a trackir

Whats the best trackir?

There is only one so it's not hard to pick.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

Amagad I need a trackir

Whats the best trackir?

Check this page out, it's got a really good showcase of it, and use cases of it in Arma. Also, save :20bux:

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
Now we just need it in every vehicle.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Triggs posted:

Oh I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying there should be a huge drop in altitude and airspeed. As the game stands you can basically pitch and roll perfectly on a target 180 degrees behind you.

On the other hand, Arma is one of the only games I know of that lets me land a helicopter after the engine is shot out.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure a lot of the people who were interested in Arma 3 lite keys already got one, but I've received some non Steam inventory based keys from a source who will remain unnamed. Feel free to take one for yourself or a friend. If you do, make sure you mark on the spreadsheet in the adjacent cell to the key that you've taken it. Thanks

Here's the link, it will also be in the OP. If/as I get more, they'll be added to the list. http://goo.gl/6MSMU

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 17, 2013

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Really fun time today on that sweep & clear map COOP. Need to really turn down the AI's god-aim thou.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey that manatee mission we did today was really fun. It had a good flow to it and the enemies were a decent level, and I had a surprisingly good time playing it semi seriously. It's a shame a lot of other missions at the moment seem either quite barebones or poorly balanced. I suppose given enough time we'll find some more gold.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

NaDy posted:

Hey that manatee mission we did today was really fun. It had a good flow to it and the enemies were a decent level, and I had a surprisingly good time playing it semi seriously. It's a shame a lot of other missions at the moment seem either quite barebones or poorly balanced. I suppose given enough time we'll find some more gold.

Agreed. The combat parts were really well set up; the pacing and positioning of all the firefights were great for a newbie like me to finally learn the ins and outs of Arma while still being challenging enough and fun.

The Omega Geek
Dec 19, 2002

Mederlock posted:

I'm sure a lot of the people who were interested in Arma 3 lite keys already got one, but I've received some non Steam inventory based keys from a source who will remain unnamed. Feel free to take one for yourself or a friend. If you do, make sure you mark on the spreadsheet in the adjacent cell to the key that you've taken it. Thanks

Here's the link, it will also be in the OP. If/as I get more, they'll be added to the list. http://goo.gl/6MSMU

I grabbed the first key on the list, but it won't let me edit to mark it as taken. Is the sheet set to view only? Regardless, thanks, been hoping to try this out.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

I want that UH-60 addon really, really bad.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Omega Geek posted:

I grabbed the first key on the list, but it won't let me edit to mark it as taken. Is the sheet set to view only? Regardless, thanks, been hoping to try this out.

I might've hosed up the permissions, ill fix it later. Hope you enjoy it!

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Mederlock posted:

I might've hosed up the permissions, ill fix it later. Hope you enjoy it!

Seems like most are gone, but I got one of the middle-ish ones (I think 7?). Anyways, thanks for this. I'm still a bit on the fence on if this is the type of game for me, and I think this will help me decide.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I sort of want a Track IR now. Does anybody have it and do you think its at all worth it?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Chief Savage Man posted:

I sort of want a Track IR now. Does anybody have it and do you think its at all worth it?

I had one before I sold it and no I don't think it's worth it unless you are some hardcore flight sim nerd, in which case it is worth it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
That's sort of what I figured. Less than one hundred, I would probably be more tempted.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011
^^^^You could try and set up a FreeTrack apparatus. http://www.free-track.net/english/

Mederlock posted:

The flight modelling that's in now will also be in the full game, but it will be tweaked and fixed. For example, the Little Birds in game have an awful damage model that is definitely going to get a lot harder. I'm pretty sure Dwarden mentioned that the Take on Helicoptors FM wasn't even a big priority to bring into the game, and may even come in a patch after launch at this point, but I can't find the post where he said that, so take it with a grain of salt.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135549-Arma-3-amp-TOH&p=2166652&viewfull=1#post2166652

It is getting it, as is stated here by one of the Devs. I'm not sure I even like the notion that it'll be "default." And I'm a flight obsessive.

Mederlock posted:

Light and medium sized helicoptors can do that, fairly easily too, they just don't because of the inherent safety risk and regulations involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSyCXgZFSw

The Red Bull Bo-105 needs an * behind its can do* statement.

*It utilizes a rigid rotor blade system for added strength along with a few other things that Malibu doesn't want to part with. In general, though, it's a matter of keeping the G-loading positive. The guy's awesome nuts. He flips the BO-105 and rebuilds old AH-1 Cobras.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
TrackIR is great in ARMA when you're in a vehicle. On foot it isn't so great.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SkopeDog posted:

^^^^You could try and set up a FreeTrack apparatus. http://www.free-track.net/english/
For further assistance, here and here are store-lookups at GameStop for a PlayStation Eye camera for PS3, which can be modified into an IR only camera for headtracking... or you could just use a Wii Remote and a USB Bluetooth receiver, since the Wii Remote apparently has an IR-only camera at the front end already.

SkopeDog posted:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135549-Arma-3-amp-TOH&p=2166652&viewfull=1#post2166652

It is getting it, as is stated here by one of the Devs. I'm not sure I even like the notion that it'll be "default." And I'm a flight obsessive.
This statement is old and outdated; DnA has said that even if the flight model is introduced by release it's not a guarantee that the vanilla ("stock") helicopters will use it.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

Chortles posted:

For further assistance, here and here are store-lookups at GameStop for a PlayStation Eye camera for PS3, which can be modified into an IR only camera for headtracking... or you could just use a Wii Remote and a USB Bluetooth receiver, since the Wii Remote apparently has an IR-only camera at the front end already.
This statement is old and outdated; DnA has said that even if the flight model is introduced by release it's not a guarantee that the vanilla ("stock") helicopters will use it.

It's not that old. Got a source from DnA that's within the past six months, by chance?

Edit: Nevermind, found it: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?146949-TOH-flight-model-if-when-how&p=2305558&viewfull=1#post2305558

Motherfucker, that was a huge selling point for me. At least, it sounds more like a technical issue than it does giving into the whining of nerds that can't figure out how change things in game options. It must deal with the other helicopter models, specifically the big rear end Mi-48 Kaman. Applying the Light airframe model from TKOH to the AH-9 would be easy enough.

SkopeDog fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 18, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
As far as elaborating on issues, on the next page:

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011
Well, I can't drat them for trying, and with that kind of detail description, they must be trying their damnedest. I'm hoping they make it work, even if it comes down to just separating campaigns to compensate for the change of flight modeling between AI and Player.

And, It's not like they haven't already greatly improved the game.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Has anyone tried the Blitzkrieg maps that one server runs? It's like Battlefield's Conquest Assault mode.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

I had one before I sold it and no I don't think it's worth it unless you are some hardcore flight sim nerd, in which case it is worth it.

Headtracking in Arma is loving excellent, I don't know what you're talking about(provided you set up deadzones and poo poo and do it right). It makes flying helicoptors a pleasure, and gives you a lot more situational awareness on the ground. :colbert:

Edit:

Literally Named Dan posted:

Has anyone tried the Blitzkrieg maps that one server runs? It's like Battlefield's Conquest Assault mode.

Yes, we've played it many times. It's loving excellent.

Also, my new headset is coming in in a few days, so soon I'll be able to play again without subjecting my family to you fuckers over the speakers :v:

Double Edit: I also fixed the spreadsheet for the Arma 3 lite keys, if you took one could you please go back and quickly mark that you did? Tia. Here's the link for the lazy http://goo.gl/6MSMU

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 18, 2013

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

SkopeDog posted:

I spent about $15 on IR LEDs, Batteries, and battery case and made a 3-point cap. It's still not calibrated optimally and gives me motion sickness, but I can see how it would help you fly stuff once you get used to it. It's worth a shot if you have some wire and solder on hand. I'm using a Logitech C310 webcam with 3 layers of developed film negatives taped over the lens to filter out visible light.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike

Mederlock posted:

Headtracking in Arma is loving excellent, I don't know what you're talking about(provided you set up deadzones and poo poo and do it right). It makes flying helicoptors a pleasure, and gives you a lot more situational awareness on the ground. :colbert:

Its a little awkward for infantry depending on how you have the deadzone setup. Its not as bad as when you have the free floating gun cursor (without using tack ir that is, the mouse deadzone thing), but it reminds me of that.

I didnt mind it for COOP, but I primarily play wasteland and dayz, and since I spend most of my time on foot I tend to not use track ir (I had it already for flight sims). I found it to put me at a disadvantage during some intense firefights, and having my view locked to the mouse movements worked better for me.

Vulcan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 18, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i cannot play arma without it, especially infantry. opens up your SA to the enth degree.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vulcan posted:

Its a little awkward for infantry depending on how you have the deadzone setup. Its not as bad as when you have the free floating gun cursor (without using tack ir that is, the mouse deadzone thing), but it reminds me of that.

I didnt mind it for COOP, but I primarily play wasteland and dayz, and since I spend most of my time on foot I tend to not use track ir (I had it already for flight sims). I found it to put me at a disadvantage during some intense firefights, and having my view locked to the mouse movements worked better for me.

How is it like the dumb as poo poo free-aim mouse deadzone thing at all? I mean, if you want to make a comparison of what its like to something that's available with M+KB, compare it to free-look, where you press 'alt' on the keyboard and you can look around with the mouse when you hold it, since its the behaviour headtracking emulates anyways :shrug:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
human eye has the ability to pick up movement at almost a 180 degrees, the trackir* helps your ability to do that in game by constantly scanning left the right

I have a 3 screen eyefinity setup, and can't play arma with the trackir* because it gives you too much to take in. So i just use one screen and the trackir*.

My profile is super aggressive, but i have a very small deadzone in the center for aiming, but it climbs very quickly so i dont have to move my head very much.
When your moving in formation, especially in a wedge formation or echelon its very handy for keeping your spacing or pace.

But i have been using it for years in flight sims, i find playing any game where your peripheral vision is required the trackir* is essential.
I remember using it for Richard Burns Rally and it being the difference between good driving and great driving.

*trackir or substitutes.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Moving your mouse without using the ARMA deadzone means you are adjusting your camera with every mouse movement as well as every head movement, which is pretty counterintuitive if you have never used head tracking before.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I don't think TrackIR is that big a deal in infantry. I hate it when I'm in ironsights and my trackIR fucks up with my aiming. I'm trying to keep my aim focused down the sights and the slightest move will gently caress it up. I haven't spent a long time setting it up though. In helicopters and vehicles it can be useful. On its own just for ArmA, spending $150 isn't worth it IMO.

If you play other sims, it can be pretty good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Alright, some people may not know, but the two islands that Arma 3 will feature actually exist! They are two greek islands in the Aegean Sea located between mainland Greece and Turkey, Lemnos and Agios Efstratios, known ingame as Altis and Stratis respectively.
The two islands have been renamed for Arma, after those two developers were jailed.

Stratis
With rugged terrain, expansive forests and a man-made airbase, Stratis offers a wealth of opportunities with which to wage war. Take to the skies in an attack helicopter, or fight on foot across this 20 km2, near-future battlefield. The choice is yours.

Google maps view of Stratis
Wiki page
The smaller of the two islands, it's population of 300 is mainly comprised of fishermen. Largely unpopulated the landscape is quite bare on hillsides with forests in the valleys to the north.
In-game it's been altered to include the airbase in the north west section of the island

Altis - The Island Formerly Known As Lemnos
Clocking-in at 270 km2, Altis truly is the star of Arma 3. From expansive cities to rolling hills, from wind farms to solar farms, whether steamrolling your tank across the southern plains, or waging asymmetric warfare from the northern hills, the Altis landscape lends itself to some of the most detailed locales and varied engagements.

Google maps view of Lemnos/Altis
Wiki page
With a current population of around 16,500 people Lemnos is quite built up compared to Stratis, it has several towns scattered across the island with the largest based around the harbour in the west. The eastern half of the island is mostly farmland with a major airfield located in the middle.

In world war I it was used as the staging area for the Gallipoli campaign, 50km to the East. It contains one of only two deserts in Europe.

Edit:
Have a mockup comparison of both islands. Ingame Stratis should be located to the south south west of Altis, they'll probably compress the real life distance by quite a bit if they are to exist in one world.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 18, 2013

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Nice, I was just watching part of WW1 documentary that was about Gallipoli.

WW1 was some weird poo poo. ANZAKs invading Turkey.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Never underestimate what the Dominions and Commonwealths would do for the mother nation prior to 1931. Indecently , never underestimate what Australia and New Zealand would do together prior to 2003, hell the kiwis sent troops to Vietnam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Apparently, that shrine I keep rocketing north of the (very correct) town is to mark the grave of a saint. I'm going to hell.