Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Are Reader and RSS actually popular in the first place with most people online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Install Gentoo posted:

It seems like the type of thing where either you've never heard of RSS and don't use it, or you think its the greatest thing in the world and spend more time on Reader than anything else. Haven't seen many people in the middle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

RSS has been around for a really long time but at this point has more or less been killed by Facebook, Twitter, and everyone else going to private APIs. Mostly because they can get more ad revenue this way. Google is just taking the patient off life support.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Install Gentoo posted:

After seeing the uproar online, it seems like it. Like others have mentioned, I use reader daily to read the various blogs. I have no interest in visiting the 30 or so websites I've got Reader pulling. 1 site to rule them all I say.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Pivit posted:

It seems like the type of thing where either you've never heard of RSS and don't use it, or you think its the greatest thing in the world and spend more time on Reader than anything else. Haven't seen many people in the middle.

I only ever check my feeds on my lunch break at work. I spend less than 90 minutes a week on it. I mostly just read tech headlines. v:shobon:v

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Since Sept 2010 I've read over 170,000 articles; some people in the reddit threads are double that, and it's not just a few either.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a cheaper and less ugly alternative to Touchdown if I want a mail app that will handle Exchange security settings within the app? My IT department advocated Touchdown to us if we don't want to give them remote wipe/administrator access to our phones, but Touchdown is crazy expensive and looks like hot garbage.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Pivit posted:

If this counts as being "in the middle," every few months I spontaneously remember that RSS exists, add a bunch of blogs to google reader, read through them furiously for a couple hours, and then never check on them again and then end up deleting all or most of them. This has happened at least three times, with the most recent occurrence being just after I found out that Google is axing Reader. Maybe I just suck at finding interesting blogs.

That said, I really wish the SA forums had RSS.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
It is, try K-9 maybe, but I've been more than happy with the built in Exchange app. We don't have any nutty remote use or wipe policies though.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

So I have been using the utorrent app on my nexus 7 and its been great, but it doesn't let me choose what files inside the torrent too download (Instead automatically downloading everything) am I missing something or is their any alternative torrent app that let's me do this?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

dik-dik posted:

That said, I really wish the SA forums had RSS.

They do. And they're awesome.

Also http://www.somethingawful.com/d/directory.php

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

uapyro posted:

Since Sept 2010 I've read over 170,000 articles; some people in the reddit threads are double that, and it's not just a few either.

drat..
Since September 23, 2009 you have read a total of 300,000+ items

Granted, I 'read' articles even when I just read the title and skip through.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Install Gentoo posted:

No, not in the least.

Though if you're trying to parse that against the online response you need to think of demographics. Google Reader/RSS is most useful to journalists/scientists/programmers/enthusiasts etc who consume many content streams from a wide range of sources. Guess which groups have the loudest voice on the internet/are heavily represented in forums and social media?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

deong posted:

drat..
Since September 23, 2009 you have read a total of 300,000+ items

Granted, I 'read' articles even when I just read the title and skip through.

Where do you find this information?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Where do you find this information?

Click "Trends" on the left when you look at Reader in a browser.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm sure someone at Google thought themselves justified in answering that question and, well, here we are.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Oh nice! If only they made this for individual threads, I would be set--ideally, I'd want a way to access my bookmarks page from an RSS reader, but whatever I can deal.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pocket Casts got a decent update.

I love these guys. Even if I hated the app their app verbiage is the best. :3:

When will they add support for password-protected podcasts :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's only whilst reading this fallout I realise RSS feeds are what I've been missing in my life for years.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Click "Trends" on the left when you look at Reader in a browser.

Where?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Drop down the All Items menu...

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
What's the best way to schedule Titanium Backup to Dropbox? It attempts to sync 500mb on every schedule right now and was hoping for a shorter upload config.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I use RSS to receive webcomic updates. It's very convenient.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Not to interrupt RSSchat, but can anyone recommend a free video player with A-B looping and speed controls?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

VLC will do it - do View > Advanced Controls to get the looper button and the + and - keys will adjust yr speeds

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

baka kaba posted:

VLC will do it - do View > Advanced Controls to get the looper button and the + and - keys will adjust yr speeds
Thanks. Got the speed control handled, but I can't find a View menu or option or anything....

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So I was late to work today thanks to somehow disabling my alarm instead of snoozing. Can someone recommend me a good alarm app that makes you do some sort of hoop jumping so I'll actually have to wake up to shut it up?

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

spixxor posted:

So I was late to work today thanks to somehow disabling my alarm instead of snoozing. Can someone recommend me a good alarm app that makes you do some sort of hoop jumping so I'll actually have to wake up to shut it up?

Gentle Alarm.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

spixxor posted:

I've been using "I Can't Wake Up" for the past couple of weeks, and it's done the job perfectly.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

spixxor posted:

I recently switched from Gentle Alarm to Sleep as Android and am much happier with the hoops I have to go through. Multiple levels of math problems, spot the difference tests, shake the phone really fast for a set period of time, plus a few others. Not to mention stone of the other functions, but it's more of a sleep suite than simply alarm clock.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TetsuoTW posted:

Thanks. Got the speed control handled, but I can't find a View menu or option or anything....

You don't have File Playback Audio Video Tools View Help at the top?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

You don't have File Playback Audio Video Tools View Help at the top?
Are you talking about VLC for Android?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Are you talking about VLC for Android?

loving hell I thought was the Windows thread :v:

Let's see if I can make good...

e- hmm nope, looks like it's on the to-do list for VLC but I can't find anything that does A-B looping and speed control. Sorry for the false hopes!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 16, 2013

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have two questions: 1)is Zedge a sketchy app? It seems sketchy. I'm just basing this on the fact that websites like it are usually sketchy.

2) is there a good radio app? I downloaded tunein but the one station I tried to listen to didn't work. It said it wasn't available and then went to a "similar" station. I used ooTunes on iPhone and it did what I needed

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

myron cope posted:

I have two questions: 1)is Zedge a sketchy app? It seems sketchy. I'm just basing this on the fact that websites like it are usually sketchy.

2) is there a good radio app? I downloaded tunein but the one station I tried to listen to didn't work. It said it wasn't available and then went to a "similar" station. I used ooTunes on iPhone and it did what I needed

Zedge seemed fine when I used it. As far as I can tell there's no malware bundled with it or anything and you could just uninstall it and keep using the stuff you downloaded. But then again, everything on zedge could be found on other places as well.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Geektox posted:

Zedge seemed fine when I used it. As far as I can tell there's no malware bundled with it or anything and you could just uninstall it and keep using the stuff you downloaded. But then again, everything on zedge could be found on other places as well.

Do you have a recommended alternative?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

myron cope posted:

For radio stations, you can try iHeartRadio, there are also other options like Pandora, Spotify and Rdio if you want music but not a particular 'station'.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Guilty posted:

Do you have a recommended alternative?

If it's just wallpapers you're interested in, Wallbase is pretty great. I personally have never had any issues with the Zedge app though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a cheaper and less ugly alternative to Touchdown if I want a mail app that will handle Exchange security settings within the app? My IT department advocated Touchdown to us if we don't want to give them remote wipe/administrator access to our phones, but Touchdown is crazy expensive and looks like hot garbage.

TouchDown looks like a Windows Mobile (not Windows Phone...) app. It really is horrible. But it's functional.

I watched the Samsung S4 event, and it looks like they're planning on including some functionality like what TouchDown offers with that phone, so I'm interested to see how that pans out. They didn't really give much detail, and I haven't gone out of my way to look for info, but it looked promising. If true, that could be a pretty big selling point for me (not that I wasn't already sold on the S4...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Geektox posted:

Thanks! I was mostly worried that it was tracking me or something else nefarious.

The Merkinman posted:

For radio stations, you can try iHeartRadio, there are also other options like Pandora, Spotify and Rdio if you want music but not a particular 'station'.
I'm looking for an app to listen to hockey games, requiring listening to one specific station. iHeartRadio seems to work--at least it will load the station (TuneIn wouldn't load it at all). The NHL doesn't seem to block games from the radio like the NFL (and MLB?) does. So thanks!

• Locked thread