Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

(Jesus that's a good bunch of posts)

Hecate knows what people say about foggy towns with no known settlers. She taps into her connection with the concept of death and undeath, trying to discern any sign of necromantic or haunted energy from the west side of the City. In order to test it, however, she takes a quick glance at Mister Gobbo, who has been faithfully kept under her control.

Using my Dhampir Undead Detection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing

Thorgeisl becomes increasingly smug and satisfied as the others begin to worry about their food situation. Once more pleased about his well thought out purchase long ago of a ring that removed his need for such things.

He gazes upon the settlement trying to get a feel for it before entering, at which point he spots what Hecate is doing. He too switches his vision to the magical, so that he can sense the ebb and flow of magic in the world. Perhaps a second pair of eyes can find what a single pair could not.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty will leave it to the spellcasters to figure out what to do next. All he gets is the feeling he doesn't want to be there, but that's no great insight.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Approaching from the West, you come to a large road out of town that is paved for about half a mile before becoming a large, well-worn dirt road heading to the West. The paved road continues into town, simple cobblestone work. You pause at a pair of fenced off and abandoned stables at the beginning of the city and Detect. The next several buildings ahead look like a few fine log cabin homes and a damaged long and thin building with a small broken bell-tower at it's center, looking like a formerly fine town hall or something. A few of the nice homes past it are set close together.

You're close enough to begin seeing more shapes in the fog, including what appears to be the largest building in town at the center, which looks as though is has been... split. The base is similar to the town hall, but as the shadows rise they come apart, looking as though the top of the building was peeled open. There are also a few thin, angular shadows set around this building. It's a long walk to the center of the city. There are other shadows that are difficult to see and guess what they are all around.

Detect Undead: You feel a very weak and dim aura everywhere. Nothing specific.

Detect Magic: You feel a very dim and weak aura everywhere. Feels like a few additional, smaller auras exist within the huge sweeping dim one.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Bugger, this doesn't look good. It could be interference from the spikes, but still..." Hecate pauses while taking up her while holding her summoned steed's bridle with another hand. "There could be some undead remnants out there. I still support taking a closer look, but it's better to warn you guys."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Vanessa

"Undead? Strange..."
Nessa looks at Hecate for a moment, nonplussed, then smiles.
"Oh yeah! Ha ha, one sec..."
She mumbles something, then starts looking around, a faint grin on her face.

Using Detect Evil.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Detect Evil: Evil is present. ... In dim weak aura form, but mostly... your allies.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Whoops. Though Thorgeisl is technically not evil at least, but yeah that might be a bit disheartening.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Vanessa was already aware. It doesn't bother her.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar let's out a scoff and immediately draws his hammer and mace off his hip, "The undead infestation must not be allowed to stand. All beings associated with <dorf>unlife<dorf> must be eradicated. There is no place for their kind as long as Moradin's hands still work in this world." He gives Hecate a vicious grin before sweeping his weapons to a ready stance and moving forwards stealthily. Calling back lightly, "I will scout ahead."

(( cant roll here doom. Can do it in 2 hours after work or you can roll. Stealth and survival for general tracking. +4 versus favored enemy.)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa

"Have fun!"
Nessa pauses, thinking.
"Maybe someone should go with him?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Do not question what you will not have answers for, dearie." Hecate smiles at Vanessa while turning her head to Olimar after his quip. All beings associated? Did he notice the undead servant with her all along or the fact that she dabbled on Necromancy? Or is that... Oh, of course, dwarvish humor, always based on bashing things or threatening to do so. "Destroying something that might have use in the future is imprudent, but I'm not going to remind him of that."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

"I just wasn't really expecting undead, is all. Change of pace from all the slimy monster things."

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Stealth and Survival for post.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Olimar, Stealth and Survival: You try to mask your movements as best you can while sneaking along the wide open town road, but it's a difficult task. Surveying the road for tracks of nefarious skellingtons, vicious zombies and nefarious wights, you instead discover evidence of recent tracks. Several sets of soft tracks barely leaving anything, and a set of heavy-set prints from somebody presumably heavily armored. You discover these tracks in front of the City Hall, where there is a brief bit of grass between the front door and the street. The door is locked.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui, Ratfolk Poisoner

"This one will follow into the city. The wake of the Masters is always of interest to Her, and curiosity trumps her common sense more often than not."

P'ui moves after Olimar.

Stealth: 1d20+16 30

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar makes his observations before quietly backpedaling to the group and reporting the situation, "Tracks, some faint and light, perhaps made by an elf, hard to track but not impossible. Another set that is deeper, obviously made be someone in heavy armor of heavier build. Lead towards the town hall, the door to the town hall is locked. I do many things, pick locks isn't one of them."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa nods, then looks at P'ui.
"Figure this is your area. What do you think we should do?"

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

"Yer in luck, pals. I'm an expert at gettin' past locks."

He's talking about his mace, isn't he?

Yes, yes he is.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Stare.
"Yes, but why don't we try doing it quietly first?"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Edie von Altman, who can fix a gun but can't really pick a lock, truth be told

"I concur. Miss P'ui should at least try her hand--" (She stops a moment to ponder whether "paw" would be more appropriate or if it would be horribly rude) "--before we resort to hitting the lock off. Here, allow me to provide assistance."

Edie's fingers lightly touch P'ui's head, and...there is a glowing visible from under her sleeves? Not a terribly strong one, but a glow nonetheless.

Casting Guidance to give P'ui a +1 to her next skill check (or attack roll, whatev), however not useful that is, since she can't exactly Aid Another in a skill she has no idea about.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The group is next to the two stables next to the road heading West out of town, near which is a large formal looking building that smacks of some sort of City Hall type structure. The door is locked, marked by the (i) on the map. There are houses nearby as well, but mostly it's a cold and lonely fog-bound city. You have decent line of sight in the immediate area but it's very difficult to see anything too far out. You've found some tracks in front of the locked door.

A shrill whistle pierces the air for a few moments, as though somebody had an actual whistle or was blowing one through their fingers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"I really advise caution on that. The heavy tracks that Olimar mentioned could be of an Ogre, depending on their size. Burglarizing into their refuge might not make them very happy at our presence at all." Hecate sighs and shakes her head. Trouble really follows them.

"Is there any butcher or grocer in which we can at least forage for more food?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa raises her eyebrows.
"Hmm... think we might have trouble soon."
She readies her shield, but leaves her sword sheathed.

OOC: Any way to work out which direction the whistle came from?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(A strong Perception roll or a specific ability/spell.)

Tracks Note: The heavy set is not large enough to be an Ogre's. All tracks are medium humanoid sized.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Perception check 1d20+9=19 eh

Nessa narrows her eyes, mumbling again.

Detect evil for the standard action.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Vanessa, Perception: Sounds vaguely like it came from the City Hall.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa whispers.
"Think they spotted us. Came sort of from the hall. Probably not a spotter in a different building."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Great. Guess we'll have to ask them for a cup of sugar like good neighbors, no?" Hecate cautiously gallops in the direction of the City Hall, trying to look as non-threatening as possible.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Now stop me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think Richard filled us in on any of this. Are we sure we wanna risk our necks investigatin' this sorta thing, when we got a more important job to do up the road a piece?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Detect Magic, 2nd Round: There are dozens of small auras nearby, inside the City Hall.

Detect Evil: No new specific evils.

Detect Undead: No new zambies, goasts or skellingtons.

Your careful deliberation and tactical "Not Looking Threatening" approach are interrupted by a shrill scream of absolute delight piercing the air. One of the second floor windows in the City Hall is kicked out and a tall, imposing figure clad in dark-gray full plate leaps out, landing before your group. They quickly assume a confident poise, arms crossed, the handle of a large weapon rising over their shoulder.

"I'VE FOUND YOU, I'VE FOUND YOU, I'VE FOUND YOU!"

At least half the party has heard the voice before, and there's an opening at the top of the helmet to let a pair of sleek and straight black goat's horns rise out. Between some enchantments and the equipment, this figure seems to account for an easy five of the magical auras you've detected.

To the half that met her during the last job, Jaquelyn of Cuthbert seems a lot less sleepy and unarmored than before. She's easily as big as Thorgeisl or Oreom and probably had to duck to enter the City Hall in the first place. She has a good chuckle before getting down to business. "Oooooh... If you give me my mace back, shitter, I'll let you and your little thief friends get the Hell off my claim without breaking your ribs! I should cut off your hands, though... but I'm in a good mood, heh-hmm... heh!"

Oreom: You immediately notice that wearing full plate makes Jaquelyn an inch taller than you.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 20, 2013

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar shrugs, "Could be elves, should investigate at least. Nothing saying we can cut and run if we need to." He strolls back towards the town hall. Upon sight of the new person Olimar backs up slightly and then chuckles, "Missy, I like the cut of your jib but I daresay, I have no idea what you're talking about. Still you're a drat sight more welcome than the undead we expected to find here. You don't need to go about cutting anything off of anyone." He strides forwards without a care, placing his warhammer and mace back on his hips as he does. He holds out his hand for her to shake, "I am Olimar Ironstride, deep delver, tracker, hunter, dwarf." He motions his other hand back over his pack and his huge snake uncoils from it and wraps around his neck and shoulders, "This is Ironmaw, we are happy to make your acquaintance." Once again, Olimar seems to have a shocking disregard for his own safety.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing

Thorgeisl lifts and arm, point back toward Oreom with his thumb. "The two big lugs had a little spar as he tried to get a date out of her." He pauses, lowering the arm. "He claims to have beaten her. Not sure what she means by the mace though, I did not see the end of the battle."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa

Vanessa smiles, relaxing.
"Oh, hello again! Good to see you! So you got out of there alright?"
She glances at Oreom, then focuses back on Jacquelyn.
"If you've got this area, uh, claimed, we should really be moving along. Not really any of our business, and we have places to be. Unfortunately, I don't think this one will go along with that."
She shrugs her shoulders, awkwardly.
"He's sort of a selfish piece of poo poo. Sorry!"

She snaps her fingers.
"Hey, what if you and him had a duel? I didn't get to see the last one."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh great. Truly, finding Carbon's former Crony was probably the worst stroke of luck to date, and Hecate let her opinion on that be known by letting out a loud sigh. She makes a dismissive gesture at Oreom, looking a bit annoyed by the whole situation. "We are here for some food and supplies. If you are kind enough to provide us with such, we can let you beat the stuffing out of your boyfriend for a few hours."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Edie von Altman, who should have expected this, really

Edie looks back at Oreom, then forward to the armored figure, then back, then forward again. Knowing this bunch, she should have expected it. Figuring that Vanessa knew what she was doing, given that she seemed to in other matters, Edie first touches a hand to her head--seemingly as a gesture of frustration, though the observant would see her arm faintly glow again as she places an enchantment to steel her nerves on herself--and takes up a place at her side, continuing her line of reasoning.

"Yes, yes, hello, my name is Edelweiss, it is a pleasure to meet you, ma'am. We have no intention of keeping you from your business, so if you could let us through, that would be lovely. You and mister Bonne can have whatever business you would like, and once he has received enough of a beating that you are satisfied, I am sure he can catch up to us. Now, if you don't mind, we will just be making our way through, so..."

Casting Enhanced Diplomacy on herself first, then trying out some smooth talking for 1d20 + 12 = 14 not much effect at all, actually. Oh, darn.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

Oreom blinks languidly, twisting the tip of his pinky back and forth inside one ear after a shrill bird or cat or somesuch went shrieking through the otherwise deadly quiet little township. Which isn't to say he didn't notice the plated figure hurtling from the City Hall like a shot from a cannon or anything, but he seemed more interested in what made the shrieking noise than anything else, glancing up to the open window. Thorgeisl could deal with his armored buddy or .. or was it the dwarf? Whoever the armored figure was talking to, look, it could be between them and them and the rest of them could just keep moseying right along. There was no treasure to be found in this backwoods little run-down place, and no elves to drag back for ransom, so ..

But no, that would be too easy. Everyone has to throw their two cents in to the jackass getting in their way, which Oreom more or less immediately tunes out. Not finding the cat and barely listening to the others, he finally decides to actually assess just how hard he's going to have to hit the person in their way if that little punkass thief Lefty didn't give them back their mace or whatever.

"Listen here now, lady," he starts, pointing with a slightly waxy pinky in her general direction before something finally seems to click into place in the back of his head.

No, wait. Yes. No. Yes! There it is! No. .. she's too .. HEY!

Oreom flicks his pinky against the pad of his index finger, cleaning it (to his satisfaction anyway) before he just wordlessly turns and walks toward a nearby building. Kicking his toes up, he goes to stand on the raised stoop before then whirling back around, pointing dramatically (and standing, notably, an inch and a half taller than he had been a moment before) and screaming with .. well, quite a bit less drama and more spittle flecking out of his mouth as his voices rises to a slightly higher pitch in genuine irritation.

"YER THE SHITTER, SHORTY!"

Clearing his throat and crossing his arms over his chest, arching his back to make his puffing up all the more impressive, he spat air between his teeth before grinning as self-importantly as anyone ever had. "I won yer mace fair n' square when y' went renegin' on our wagers like a li'l eensy coward! Y'want it back? Y' wanna try to steal from the INSTRUMENTS OF THE LAW?!" he cackles, spreading his arms to encompass each and every one of his companions who are 100% on his side and 120% on the side of the law of Geareg, clearly. Narrowing his eyes, his grin does precisely the opposite. "Y'kin give me what ya owe me then, li'l girl, but I reckon the mace counts fer interest by now."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Vanessa stares at Oreom for a moment, then turns to Jacquelyn.
"Yes, please beat the poo poo out of him. I'd take it as a personal favor."

Incidentally, is she registering as evil?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

In turn Jaquelyn gives you all satisfied nods, shakes Olimar's hand and steps forward up to Hecate, leaning forward and pressing a finger against her forehead until the much smaller girl is knocked on her rear end. "Well, where is it? Where's..."

Detect Evil is a 60 foot cone, so you've got a generous spread on not detecting any evil in the City Hall or from Jaquelyn. You detect a lot of indignant anger as Oreom tears into Jaquelyn, who is startled for a second. Long enough to gather her own rage and stride up to Oreom, giving him a sudden harsh bump with a metal helmet as she butts him in the chin to knock him off his dumbass tippy-toes, then bumps again and presses her forehead to his.

"WHAT I OWE YOU?! THE LAW!? YOU'RE STEALING FROM CUTHBERT'S FIST, BOY! I'LL BREAK EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT!"

Edie, Diplomacy: You didn't expect much from your delicate attempt to insert calm, tactful discussion into a discussion it would travel to to die, but Jaquelyn keeps glaring Oreom down before calling out curtly. "You return what you stole and maybe we can talk business, but if you wanna fight it out then we can settle this any way you'd like!" She presses further upon Oreom, speaking with manic glee at a sudden realization. "The law? You're the ones that set Carbon up! Not that I care for a bit of scum like that..." PRESS. "BUT I BET YOUR WARRANTS ARE FRESH!" PRESS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa grins at the scene, edging near Hecate, and whispers.
"Watch out for her brother, I'm guessing he's nearby. Other set of tracks."

She looks over at the scene again, blinking.
"Wait, what does that even mean? 'I bet your warrants are fresh'? The heck?"

• Locked thread