Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

God yes, plasma casters literally melt faces. I just wish they didnt use so much ammo with the high fire rate and 2x consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Tin Tim posted:

Ever tried a plasma caster? The ones from Tediore seriously rule.

I can vouch for this.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Reiley posted:

Get an Unkempt Harold out of the vending machine, ideally one with the Double Penetrating prefix. This is the best FFYL recovery gun you will ever find

My PBFG wants a word with you, and no, hiding behind that wall won't help you motherfucker!

The Unkempt Harold is fantastic though. Definitely the best Torgue gun.

hope and vaseline posted:

God yes, plasma casters literally melt faces.

Yesss! I use a Maliwan plasma caster as my main incendiary (practicable Heart Breaker for close combat, it's the poo poo), and I haven't found a legendary to trump it yet. And, speaking of SMG's, the Bitch is a GREAT weapon, it's so precise, you can deliver nonstop full auto crits.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 17, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Kaethela posted:

This is why you should never sell red text guns EVER

Fixed that. Never know when a gun you wouldn't typically keep around winds up being pretty crucial to taking down a raid boss (IE Trespasser and Hammerlock's raid boss).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Ever tried a plasma caster? The ones from Tediore seriously rule.

I have a fire Dahl one and an electric Tediore one which I carry as my go-to elemental guns. The Tediore is great because the superfast reload speed means it basically never stops firing and the fire one is my Bug Zapper but yeah, I really like plasma casters. I love the reload animation on Bandit SMGs too.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I was really surprised how accurate Plasma Casters can be. Now I've only used the Tediore ones, but if you burst fire they are quite good at longer ranges. Even without a scope, the bright energy balls enhance your targeting. I recently found two of them(one fire and one elec) and I stopped using them after a while, cause they killed stuff so dang fast. Yeah, ammo burns like crazy, but that's what boxes are for right?

Now I'm in the last leg of TVHM, and those babies never leave my loadout.

The weird thing is, that they are basically better at being ARs than the majority of ARs in the game. :downs:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

The weird thing is, that they are basically better at being ARs than the majority of ARs in the game. :downs:

The only ARs I've found that I really like are ones using either of the two Vladof barrels or the Torgue rocket barrel just for laughs. I have a couple ARs I keep for fun but they have fire rates of around 10 or 11. Anything slower than that and I could just use a big pistol and do about the same damage.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Reiley posted:

The only ARs I've found that I really like are ones using either of the two Vladof barrels or the Torgue rocket barrel just for laughs. I have a couple ARs I keep for fun but they have fire rates of around 10 or 11. Anything slower than that and I could just use a big pistol and do about the same damage.
Yeah, I'm really unhappy with the ARs in BL2. Either they can't hit poo poo, have tiny clips, slow ROF or all of that. The only one that serves my needs is the Vladof Blaster. That thing is awesome, but pretty rare. Took me three quarters of TVHM to find a new one. Other than that, I had good times with rocket rifles(though the KerBlaster should be used instead of anything else) and some fun with bandit machine guns.

I really have no clue why ARs changed so much between the two games?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 18, 2013

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I basically ignored assault rifles until I found a level 50 Kerblaster in a vending machine, and then got a purple Torgue the same day so I could shoot explosives everywhere as Sal. :getin:

I actually miss the old ones from the first game. The combat rifles were decent for close combat because it was easy to spam the bursts, and the machine guns with the huge magazines were amazing if you were lucky enough to find one with decent stats. Roland/Brick with an Ogre are some of the best times I had with Borderlands 1.

The only big box machine guns in 2 are the lovely Bandit ones, and the new miniguns aren't the same because they have to reload every 2 seconds. :(

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The only good ARs are the minigun-types.

So I want to be a big cheating baby and have like 9 billion backpack slots. The limit is way too low in game. Someone tell me how to do this.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

I basically ignored assault rifles until I found a level 50 Kerblaster
:allears:

I'm pretty jealous right now. I'm scratching at Lv49 and still use my lv34 KerBlaster since it's such a good weapon. And it still can kill lv45+ enemies. Slowly, but the bonus explosions get the job done. I'm going to farm Midgemong real hard when I hit 50. Shouldn't take too long with the magic of CE. :)

UnknownMercenary posted:

The only big box machine guns in 2 are the lovely Bandit ones
And that right there is a real shame, as the majority of them are pretty terrible. But then again, I have this one sitting in my bank and inted to cheat it up to 50.

Like, it's nothing special. But due to the sight and decent accuracy, you can still burst fire it pretty good. Dunno, I had good times with it, and honestly just want to see how it behaves at 50. Come to think of it, I believe I've also never found another one with simliar accuracy.

The overall small mag size of ARs really disappointed me. Is Axton the only one with +mag size skills for them?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah, ammo burns like crazy, but that's what boxes are for right?

Nah, that's what your buddy who plays Salvador is for :v:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Dahl minigun-barreled ARs are terrific at being a longer range hunting shotgun, shame they're rather rare to find.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Xenaero posted:

So I want to be a big cheating baby and have like 9 billion backpack slots. The limit is way too low in game. Someone tell me how to do this.

Seconded. I've already bought all the drat inventory slots and I still have to stop and drop a bunch of poo poo every 5 minutes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are any gun types particularly suited to the never stop gunzerking gunzerker? I'm only level 14 but I haven't managed to work out what gun types are a good fit yet.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Paranoid question:

The season pass is listed on Steam as being PC-only, but the Mechro-pack is listed as PC and Mac.

Does the season pass really not work on a Mac? I know I could dual-boot, but I'd really rather not. It seems bizarre that it wouldn't work, but I'd rather not find out $30 later. This seems to imply that I'm fine, but better safe than sorry.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Are any gun types particularly suited to the never stop gunzerking gunzerker? I'm only level 14 but I haven't managed to work out what gun types are a good fit yet.

Leaving legendary stuff aside, I love Hyperion shotguns.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PFlats posted:

Paranoid question:

The season pass is listed on Steam as being PC-only, but the Mechro-pack is listed as PC and Mac.

Does the season pass really not work on a Mac? I know I could dual-boot, but I'd really rather not. It seems bizarre that it wouldn't work, but I'd rather not find out $30 later. This seems to imply that I'm fine, but better safe than sorry.

Good news on this front, dogg: my Season Pass I bought in Windows carried over to my Mac Steam account.

Incidentally, I had absolutely no idea this had a Mac port!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I ran all of normal mode with 2 fast firing jakobs shotguns. A slag off-hand is great as well. You start to get a little squishier in TVHM so you might want to switch to more medium-long range weapons though.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

hope and vaseline posted:

I ran all of normal mode with 2 fast firing jakobs shotguns. A slag off-hand is great as well. You start to get a little squishier in TVHM so you might want to switch to more medium-long range weapons though.

Aren't Jakobs guns awkward as hell to gunzerk with?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jump in enemy's face -> mash both mouse buttons a few times -> repeat

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Jabarto posted:

Aren't Jakobs guns awkward as hell to gunzerk with?

Yes, especially if they have different magazine capacities.

For gunzerking I've found Hyperion shotguns to work the best, although SMGs are not too shabby.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yes, especially if they have different magazine capacities.

For gunzerking I've found Hyperion shotguns to work the best, although SMGs are not too shabby.

I cannot gunzerk with jakobs at all. I've tried with maggies (legendary revolver) and shotguns and it's just terrible. I feel the carpal tunnel onsetting as I try.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ciaphas posted:

Bandit guns work great for this. Everyone shits on Bandit brand but I'm pretty fond of their SMG and Shotguns, especially the Slagga/Tattler.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Bandit guns work great for this. Everyone shits on Bandit brand but I'm pretty fond of their SMG and Shotguns, especially the Slagga/Tattler.

Bandit pistols are pretty good, too. Especially the spinigun variants.

As for gunzerking, I have a lot of success with Hyperion pistols or SMG's. In particular, the Hyperion spinigun pistols are great; they only need two or three shots to reach maximum accuracy, and stay focused for a very long time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The Dog, Slagga and Badaboom are pretty good Bandit guns, but almost all of their non-unique stuff feels pretty terrible to me. I tried gunzerking two Bandit machine guns and it was fun to see how much lead I could put out before reloading, but the damage was lovely as hell.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Finally finished the game. It is actually pretty fun once you get some purples and oranges.

One thing I noticed messing around with CE is that you don't want to increase the e-tech rate much at all, since it seems to work by transforming weapons that would be blue or purple into e-tech. if you increase it too much you'll see pretty much all e-tech. I wouldn't do more than double it.

What level does the DLC start at? The Torgue dialog quotefest a couple pages ago pretty much sold me on it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 18, 2013

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Sindai posted:

One thing I noticed messing around with CE is that you don't want to increase the e-tech rate much at all, since it seems to work by transforming weapons that would be blue or purple into e-tech. if you increase it too much you'll see pretty much all e-tech. I wouldn't do more than double it.

I actually set the e-tech rate lower than the blue one for that reason. It's nice to actually see them but I'm tired of open chests full of e-tech pistols.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
I know there are a bunch of people who diss using the cheat engine. But after 150 hours into the game, I would expect to see every weapon as an Etech by now. I would've had to play another 300 to be able to say that.

I like to play, I DO NOT like to grind.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Jabarto posted:

I actually set the e-tech rate lower than the blue one for that reason. It's nice to actually see them but I'm tired of open chests full of e-tech pistols.

My CE e-tech rate is the old legendary rate.

Sindai posted:

Finally finished the game. It is actually pretty fun once you get some purples and oranges.

What level does the DLC start at? The Torgue dialog quotefest a couple pages ago pretty much sold me on it.

For first runthrough, anywhere between 15-30. TVHM wait until 50.

WELCOME TO TORGUE TOWN, BABY!

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 18, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

e: oops, double

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Dukeofdummies posted:

I know there are a bunch of people who diss using the cheat engine. But after 150 hours into the game, I would expect to see every weapon as an Etech by now. I would've had to play another 300 to be able to say that.

I like to play, I DO NOT like to grind.

Aside from norfleet I dont think I ever saw an etech rocket launcher. Or a railer for that matter. I got most all of my stuff without CE, but boosting droprates really, really improves the experience. It's the games most glaring flaw, in my opinion.

Edit: Droprates like this only work in mmos, where you can at least make progress when you aren't getting cool loot.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 18, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think the main difference is that in MMOs most of the cool stuff your character can do is intrinsic to your character through skills and magic, your gear mostly supplements those by making your numbers bigger. In Borderlands it's the other way around. Except for your action skill your gear defines the cool stuff you can do and your other skills supplement it.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

One and the Same posted:

Edit: Droprates like this only work in mmos, where you can at least make progress when you aren't getting cool loot.

And there are alternate ways to get loot. MMOs are pretty multi-forked like that...at least since Blizzard showed everyone the way to properly treadmill a player.

Funny thing is...Blizzard also showed the way to do this with ARPG games in the form of Diablo 2. GB hit it out of the park with BL1 in this regard which makes BL2's loot system all the more perplexing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How long is it probably gonna take me to beat this game if I'm going through as many sidequests along the way as I can? (SHOULD I be doing that?)

On a side note everytime I gunzerk and my two Jakob shotguns with two rounds each fire eight times before reloading, I cackle a lot. :allears:

On another side note I got matchmade with a Siren and a Commando last night and now I really want to play both. drat it all why must all of the classes look fun.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 18, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sindai posted:

I think the main difference is that in MMOs most of the cool stuff your character can do is intrinsic to your character through skills and magic, your gear mostly supplements those by making your numbers bigger. In Borderlands it's the other way around. Except for your action skill your gear defines the cool stuff you can do and your other skills supplement it.

I think this is sort of backwards. In an MMO your ability to engage the environment is heavily determined by the gear you have, since everything is autoaimed hit/miss endurance encounters and dodging is all a matter of having a high Flee rate and not standing in AoE circles. Borderlands is an FPS which means you have a lot more direct control over an encounter. You can dodge bullets and attack from safety and your ability to hit or miss is more determined by your ability to predict movement, lead targets and click on bandits. Your stats aren't as important because you have much greater ability to minimize the enemy's attacks and maximize your own. Your gear just makes encounters shorter the higher up the color spectrum you go.

I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks this but the droprates are honestly fine, they even scale up when you play with other people. A lot of people still think in MMO terms, though, which is why they're grinding or have heightened expectations about intake of legendaries per hour of gameplay invested or whatever. That poo poo literally does not matter, just grab a gun and shoot dudes, the rare items will come.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 18, 2013

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm a level 50 gunzerker and I'm trying to find the best weapon combo to use. Right now I'm using a Slagga and a Veruc which works pretty well but I'd like to find something more damaging to replace the Veruc, possibly a shotgun. I want the conference call but unfortunately I completed the quest to kill the warrior without farming for it first. What would you guys suggest?

Reiley posted:

I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks this but the droprates are honestly fine, they even scale up when you play with other people. A lot of people still think in MMO terms, though, which is why they're grinding or have heightened expectations about intake of legendaries per hour of gameplay invested or whatever. That poo poo literally does not matter, just grab a gun and shoot dudes, the rare items will come.

Yeah I'm used to MMOs and diablo 2 where you'd either have to play 12 hours a day or cheat to get some passable gear, I think the drop rates in BL2 are great.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 18, 2013

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
quote != edit

PatrickDomino
Apr 2, 2001
April's Fool.
Just started playing this weekend as a Commando, I love the turret, but I can't help but get that feeling I got from BL1 where basically I get downed so easily, then get Second Wind or die, then come running back and trying again. Also, my ammo goes wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too fast... But all in all, having a positive experience. The Turret basically destroys right now, and I haven't pumped any points into it's respective traits/tree.

PatrickDomino fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Your ammo situation gets better when you get upgrades, and using the turret right can save you some deaths. Basically, throw it all the time. It's great at soaking up damage and getting attention. When I got near Lv30 I started to put points into the guerilla tree. The first two turret skills really help, and the one point for rockets is almost a steal. Battlefront is also a great skill, since it makes you better when the turret is out. Add a cooldown reducing relic+classmod, and spam it all day.

I sure do. :v:

• Locked thread