Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
I got it in on time somehow, despite my browser crashing when I went to upload it earlier and having HotS to distract me.

:siren:Video 3: Investigations:siren:

I want to apologize for the awkward audio near the end. Some hiccups happened on my end that messed it up a little, but I felt the audio was still overall good. Just pretend you don't hear the silence and everything will be fine. :shobon:

Anyone interested might check the second post of the thread, as there are two new police documents there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The cops thanking you for flagging a random bystander for arrest is a rare result, most of the time they just say that they got the wrong suspect and make you do the arrest again assuming it was done during a drug deal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chocolate Donuts posted:

I'd suggest getting the big story DLCs (Year of the Snake, Zodiac Tournament, Nightmare in North Point) and the SWAT Pack, which adds some cop jobs. Past that, pick out the costumes that look the most fun to you.

Wheels of Fury is a pretty decent mini-story pack as well.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
Hey Donuts, was that a sword next to your tv? That's a DLC thing, right? Don't tell me I missed a baller rear end sword laying around the apartment.

Follow-up question: Are you going to chop dudes with the sword?

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
The sword is from the Screen Legends DLC, it's related to the Lightning Warrior outfit you get in that pack as well.

As for the bug you mentioned with the herbal tea thing, I got the game from the Steam sale last week (thank you for pointing that out, thread) and I've been noticing that I've had to hold Y when trying to buy things from vendors instead of just tapping it, or else I'd run into the same thing you did. Not sure what's up with that.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

I've got some scrap footage I'm making a couple little videos out of, including taking down some thugs with the sword, that I captured while I was just running around grabbing lockboxes and health shrines. While I get those set up, I have a very important question (to me, anyway): What's the best way to do transitions for this? I want to make sure I cut out as much of the boring driving sequences, but at the same time, my most recent co-commentator has me thinking that maybe I'm not giving people enough sense of where things are in the city by doing that. Am I just thinking too much, or are the black screen transitions working well enough for now?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm fine with the way you are doing it now. I really don't need to know where you exactly are, to enjoy the video/game. Like, it's not even possible for me to imagine the whole drat map and then keep track of where you are. If there are important places around point them out if you wanna, but I wouldn't worry about it otherwise. It's just a big-rear end city to me, like in any GTA style game.

Also this game is the best and I need to buy it asap.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
The transitions seem fine to me, and it's not like we're missing out on seeing the real Hong Kong.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah, we don't have to see all the driving. Just if something unusual or hilarious happens.

Are there any aspects of the game that you don't think you'll be covering? In a sandbox game, there always seem to be one or two side activities that just aren't fun enough to be worth the effort.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

So, scrap footage showing off the sword, a buggy cop, and a drug bust (with guns!) I didn't feel like I had much to add to this, so no subtitles or commentary or anything. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbnFSOJMDio

E: and I just realized I forgot to edit out the part where I sat on the 'select region' part of the drug bust thing for like 20 seconds because I was taking a drink. Welp.

Quiet Python posted:

Are there any aspects of the game that you don't think you'll be covering? In a sandbox game, there always seem to be one or two side activities that just aren't fun enough to be worth the effort.

Absolutely not. I intend to show off everything at least once- probably not record every Drug Bust or Race or anything, but at least one of each of them.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 17, 2013

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chocolate Donuts posted:

So, scrap footage showing off the sword, a buggy cop, and a drug bust (with guns!) I didn't feel like I had much to add to this, so no subtitles or commentary or anything. :v:
The ending of the buggy cop bit was titled "You Died" in Chinese! How bad are Hong Kong prisons, anyway?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
Personally, I generally don't want people to edit out anything - I'll skip ahead myself if you get boring, otherwise I'd rather see the game for what it is.
I seem to be 'outvoted' though, and since I've already played this game I don't really care either way (if I hadn't played it, I'd prefer to see if the game is boring, as chances are I'd be considering buying bad games if the post-edit versions look far more exiting than they really are)

I do somewhat protest editing out driving on the note that I love the driving in this game, though.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Did the last thug in the outflow hideout die by falling into the water? I didn't see you shoot him.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

aerion111 posted:

Personally, I generally don't want people to edit out anything - I'll skip ahead myself if you get boring, otherwise I'd rather see the game for what it is.
I seem to be 'outvoted' though, and since I've already played this game I don't really care either way (if I hadn't played it, I'd prefer to see if the game is boring, as chances are I'd be considering buying bad games if the post-edit versions look far more exiting than they really are)

I do somewhat protest editing out driving on the note that I love the driving in this game, though.

I actually agree. I prefer to decide for myself what's not worth seeing when I'm watching an LP. Just my view though.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

J.theYellow posted:

Did the last thug in the outflow hideout die by falling into the water? I didn't see you shoot him.

The second to last one, yeah. You can actually see him stepping just a bit too far over the edge and literally falling in. NPCs in Sleeping Dogs can't swim, so he died instantly! :buddy:

E: Need to think a little more about this, removing for now.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 17, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

aerion111 posted:

See, I understand this perspective, and I agree with it to a point, but I still think videos should be edited. If you tape everything, edit videos so that plot stuff is done in one set of videos and exploration is done in others, and you mark each set of videos appropriately. If you get distracted in the middle of a session when you're supposed to be doing plot stuff and end up doing exploration stuff, just edit that into your next exploration video.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Really enjoying this so far mate, just caught up and eagerly awaiting the next one!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I was only in Hong Kong for about a week, but I loved every second of it. If you have the means go and ask for caberham in the China thread. He's a great host who's shown dozens of goons around HK and surprisingly tolerant of Sleeping Dogs jokes considering how often he must hear them.

Don't trust him when he says you're on the way to a PC bang though.

I still occasionally dream of the meat I had there. HOLY poo poo.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Holy poo poo. I picked up this game on the sale, and just tore through it. This is easily the best sandbox brawler I've ever played. Every inch of this felt like an action movie.

Thanks for alerting me to the sale, guys! As much as I love watching LPs, I don't think I would have enjoyed one of this game nearly as much as I did playing it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I am so terribly bad at the combat. :smith:

I think it's partly framerate issues. Edit: And my tightfisted nature. Pork buns? Energy drinks? I'm not made of money!

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 18, 2013

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
There is a point where money no longer is an issue, usually by the time you get your second pad.

If money is an issue, just go for a scenic drive and look for lockboxes. Most of them contain cash. More than enough if you need to buy those buffs.

Also, there's a free energy drink in your pad's fridge, so you don't need to buy those if you don't want to.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I loved this game, my only compliant was the some what dodgey pc controls. Driving in this game is way more fun than it should be.

I spent 80% of this game driving.

I love how all the collectibles have this lighthouse effect so it grabs your attention.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I was only in Hong Kong for about a week, but I loved every second of it. If you have the means go and ask for caberham in the China thread. He's a great host who's shown dozens of goons around HK and surprisingly tolerant of Sleeping Dogs jokes considering how often he must hear them.

Don't trust him when he says you're on the way to a PC bang though.

This is excellent advice and thank you for telling me about it. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I ever get the chance to go to Hong Kong, it's a place I'd love to visit sometime.

Redeye Flight posted:

Holy poo poo. I picked up this game on the sale, and just tore through it. This is easily the best sandbox brawler I've ever played. Every inch of this felt like an action movie.

Thanks for alerting me to the sale, guys! As much as I love watching LPs, I don't think I would have enjoyed one of this game nearly as much as I did playing it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's a game that a lot more people ought to have played (I tried to talk to a friend about it recently and he thought I meant Watch Dogs. :negative: )

I think it's partly framerate issues. Edit: And my tightfisted nature. Pork buns? Energy drinks? I'm not made of money!

Framerate issues will mess you up in games like this, yeah. But like Stumbling Block said, money is -really- not an issue, and the energy drinks are effectively infinite and free at your safehouse(s), so you might as well use 'em. :v:

Toxsyl posted:

I loved this game, my only compliant was the some what dodgey pc controls. Driving in this game is way more fun than it should be.

I spent 80% of this game driving.

I love how all the collectibles have this lighthouse effect so it grabs your attention.

While I won't comment on the PC controls, I will say that this guy is absolutely right about the driving and I haven't had so much fun just cruising since I played San Andreas for the first time. :allears: And the collectibles glowing is what makes it so much fun to drive/run around looking for them, I think. The world is just packed with stuff and you get to check it out without really risking a missed collectible.

MEANWHILE, 3 AM is still technically Monday and the thread is bizarrely busy so early, so I'll take any excuse to go ahead and throw up another update (mon/fri means I have a lot of time to get episodes ready, but I do get twitchy sitting on them on occasion.)

:siren:Video 4: Hotline Hong Kong:siren:

Featuring the guest commentary skills of Instant Grat and a whole lot of dudes getting beaten up. Next update will definitely feature an actual plot advancement, now that most of the diversions have been covered (and technically, the 'mission' I do in this update is considered a plot mission by the game, so score?)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Private.

edit: fixed

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 18, 2013

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Private.

Balls, hold on.

E: Try now.

Extra edit: Might as well mention that since Grat and I talking wound up running over cutscenes frequently I've got a second video I'll put up later today that has our dialogue uncut. :v:

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 18, 2013

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Call Tran if you haven't already.

Damnit Chocolate Donuts you've got me playing the game again. I forgot just how great it is. Best video game cast, best classical radio station, best driving. GOTY Year of the Dragon.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
When you're editing out driving portions, you should start the edit just before the driving-away fixed camera angle reverts to following you. It will probably look great.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I reiterate my insistence that you should keep the driving sections in. They appear to be some of the best parts of the game, at least per those who have played it.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

GenHavoc posted:

I reiterate my insistence that you should keep the driving sections in. They appear to be some of the best parts of the game, at least per those who have played it.

I think what I'll do is try an episode only editing out the most 'whoops wrong way' stuff, and see how it goes over.

Meanwhile, I might have to rush the next episode out on Wednesday or something if I can.

Why, you ask?

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

The leg break better be as brutal as you're making it sound.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

SaberToothedPie posted:

They scream every time. :unsmigghh:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What the hell...the Sleeping Dogs social network is up and running? Every time I load up the game I'm told that the service is not available. I just assumed it had been shut down, but I guess it's a problem with my game. What am I doing wrong? :(

And the Rico costume doesn't appear to appreciably increase the distance from which you can action hijack. I was hoping it would let you action hijack from any distance thanks to the Just Cause 2 tow cable attachment.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 18, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SaberToothedPie posted:

It is one of the better methods of melee crowd control. It forces enemies to cancel their attacks. :unsmigghh:

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Toffile posted:

It is one of the better methods of melee crowd control. It forces enemies to cancel their attacks. :unsmigghh:

To better explain this, I'll point out that the description explicitly states that it makes nearby enemies flinch. :black101:

Karthe posted:

What the hell...the Sleeping Dogs social network is up and running? Every time I load up the game I'm told that the service is not available. I just assumed it had been shut down, but I guess it's a problem with my game. What am I doing wrong? :(

And the Rico costume doesn't appear to appreciable increase the distance from which you can action hijack. I was hoping it would let you action hijack from any distance thanks to Just Cause 2 tow cable attachment.

I have no idea, and a quick glance at Google shows that it seems to be a recurring issue, so at least you're not alone. Other than the usual (check firewall, reinstall/verify game, etc) I have no idea what to tell you.

That said, yeah, the JC2 outfit doesn't really give you a massive boost to Action Hijack range. I think it makes it slightly easier to nail the timing, but other than that, it's just fun cosmetically.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
It is a pretty rough school, but if you get through it you can kick rear end like Wei Shen, so I can see the appeal.

The physical punishment is bad enough, but during the training session you can hear the instructor hurling abuse at the students. "Block with your left! No, your OTHER left! Your ancestors are weeping!"

Amy was voiced by Emma Stone, a fact that was heavily featured in the marketing for this game. I think she did a good job, but I was more impressed by the number of actors in this game who have done acting and/or stuntwork in Hong Kong action films. It really gives Sleeping Dogs the feel of an action movie set in Hong Kong with a pedigree stretching back to other films in the genre.

Master Kwok is voiced by veteran stunt choreographer James Lew. Dogeyes is voiced by Ron Yuan, who plays three other characters in the game. Conan Lee and Tzi Ma appear later, and Robin Shou(Liu Kang in the Mortal Kombat movies) plays two characters, one of which we've met and one we haven't.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Quiet Python posted:

It is a pretty rough school, but if you get through it you can kick rear end like Wei Shen, so I can see the appeal.

The physical punishment is bad enough, but during the training session you can hear the instructor hurling abuse at the students. "Block with your left! No, your OTHER left! Your ancestors are weeping!"

:v: Admittedly, it might be kind of unfair to pit them against a trained and focused psychopath like Wei Shen if they're just trying to learn. Dude's harsh on his students while Wei is delivering these absolutely punishing blows that probably lead to concussions and broken bones.

Quiet Python posted:

Amy was voiced by Emma Stone, a fact that was heavily featured in the marketing for this game. I think she did a good job, but I was more impressed by the number of actors in this game who have done acting and/or stuntwork in Hong Kong action films. It really gives Sleeping Dogs the feel of an action movie set in Hong Kong with a pedigree stretching back to other films in the genre.

Master Kwok is voiced by veteran stunt choreographer James Lew. Dogeyes is voiced by Ron Yuan, who plays three other characters in the game. Conan Lee and Tzi Ma appear later, and Robin Shou(Liu Kang in the Mortal Kombat movies) plays two characters, one of which we've met and one we haven't.

Thank you for this, because I had completely forgotten to bring it up, and it's a really important part of this game's authenticity. Great rundown, and better than I probably could've done it. :shobon:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The combat in this game looks like a blend between Bully and the Batman: Arkham games :allears:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm watching the third video now, and I honestly didn't know you can beat up both of the deadbeats to get Popstar's money. Usually the second one freaks out after you brutalize his buddy, and you can then extort him for the cash. It's worth it for Wei's line alone. ("I'm the god of unpaid debts")

edit: I also get that bug with the vendors all the time. There's an even worse one in Year of the Snake, where the vendors would actually get scared and back off when you approach them. At first I thought that was a feature because it would usually happen when I was trying to buy a pork bun while heavily armed and drenched in the blood of my enemies, but that would be a really annoying mechanic (can't get any buffs before the final mission unless you reload the latest save) so I'm guessing it's a bug. Loading the game fixed it in any case.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 18, 2013

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Thank you for this, because I had completely forgotten to bring it up, and it's a really important part of this game's authenticity. Great rundown, and better than I probably could've done it. :shobon:

You're welcome, though I did screw one thing up. Conan Lee has already appeared in the game; he was Calvin, the guy who punched the cop for sleeping with his "girlfriend". He appears as another character later.

Conan Lee was a rising action star in Hong Kong movies until he suffered serious injuries after jumping from an overpass during a chase scene. He was supposed to grab onto a streetlight to slow his fall, but was dropping so fast that he couldn't hold on to the pole and plummeted to the asphalt. He recovered, but couldn't work for a while.

His best known action films are probably "Ninja in the Dragon's Den" where he co-starred with Hiroyuki Sanada and "Tiger on the Beat" where he teamed with Chow Yun-Fat. I have not seen "Ninja" but can tell you that "Tiger" is a terrible film, with the exception of the last fifteen minutes or so which are awesome. It's like the director knew the film sucked, but that if the audience left with smiles on their faces that they might fool the people lining up for tickets into seeing it.

Chainsaws and a shotgun that shoots around corners. That's all I'm gonna say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well drat, you just made me buy this game. PC version was on sale for ~$22 at a local store, compared to like $60 on the 360. Easy choice then, I just hope my PC is up to it. It handled Saints Row the Third fine.

Can't wait to get stuck in.

• Locked thread