Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So are we going to make any kind of efforts to get goon meets going anywhere for the poor hopeless bastards who are stuck with the 3DS? I mean, I'll probably take a few days just getting used to the new system and getting back into the game. But still, couldn't hurt.

What I'm getting at is that I live in Northern Virginia and there has to be goons somewhere near me who like to hunt giant monsters, damnit!

Yeah, that would be nice. Me and a friend are stuck in Central MA with no other friends that play MH and neither of us have a Wii-U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
A newbie question here. Nevermind those Charm Tables, but WiiU version is the one to get, and the 3DS version is more a complementary game for that? Or can the full experience be had on the 3DS as well? I have also never played a Monster Hunter game before, and since my WiiU is gathering dust right now, this might be a good title to get for the system... Right? How newbie-friendly is the game, or am I facing a steep wall of difficulty from the get-go?

Apologies for my lack of tact, but this game really intrigues me. If you would have to compare it to something, what would you compare it to?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Arthe Xavier posted:

A newbie question here. Nevermind those Charm Tables, but WiiU version is the one to get, and the 3DS version is more a complementary game for that? Or can the full experience be had on the 3DS as well? I have also never played a Monster Hunter game before, and since my WiiU is gathering dust right now, this might be a good title to get for the system... Right? How newbie-friendly is the game, or am I facing a steep wall of difficulty from the get-go?

Apologies for my lack of tact, but this game really intrigues me. If you would have to compare it to something, what would you compare it to?

Co-op Punch Out against dinosaurs.

Monster Hunter is notorious for its steep difficulty curve and you will probably have to sink in 10+ hours before you even decide you like it or not. Luckily this thread exists for all your questions. There is a demo of the game in the eShop but it completely strips out the metagame and should not be considered representative of The Monster Hunter Experience.

The Wii U is the definitive version to get unless you're one of the three people outside of Japan who actually know people in real life who play the game.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
All the content is available regardless of whatever version you pick up.

As far as I'm aware anyway. The Wii U version is a port right?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Arthe Xavier posted:

Both versions of the game are identical in content. The main difference is that the Wii U version supports online play while the 3DS is only local co-op at the time. Rumors have it that the Wii U will get a tunneling app that will allow the 3DS to go online but what the gently caress is the point if you can play the Wii U version anyway. :capcom:

As far as the difficulty goes, it has a steep learning curve. Best way is to take it slow and learn to recognize patterns and behavior.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

bluegoon posted:

OK so the US MH3U eshop download isn't available at midnight?

Apparently it's available 9am pacific on tuesday, that's not going to stop me from checking for at least the first hour after midnight though :smith:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The first few minutes of Monster Hunter is a foraging simulation game. Then suddenly you are attacked by a dinosaur bear and the only way out is to poke at his legs and somehow coax your camera crew to point at the wounds in order to see how much progress you are making.

I don't even know how much of that was a joke. It's like a behind-the-shoulder shooter, except instead of guns, you fight with relatively slow medieval weapons made out of junk slapped together like Iron Man. E: combat isn't hyper-fast but still has a very high skill-cap, and the camera controls can drive some people up the wall.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 18, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

One of the monsters from Tri (and by proxy, Tri U), is Qurupeco. It's a big goofy bird with the ability to mimic monster cries, and in so doing, summon additional bosses to wreck your poo poo.

This post is an excuse to post a drawing about it.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 18, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Lizard Wizard posted:

One of the monsters from Tri (and by proxy, Tri U), is Qurupeco. It's a big goofy bird with the ability to mimic monster cries, and in so doing, summon additional bosses to wreck your poo poo.

This is a good image.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

yellowcar posted:

Both versions of the game are identical in content. The main difference is that the Wii U version supports online play while the 3DS is only local co-op at the time. Rumors have it that the Wii U will get a tunneling app that will allow the 3DS to go online but what the gently caress is the point if you can play the Wii U version anyway. :capcom:

As far as the difficulty goes, it has a steep learning curve. Best way is to take it slow and learn to recognize patterns and behavior.

You will get a wiiu, you will get this game, you will do it.

Can somebody with a wiiu tell me if they thing it will be more comfortable playing this game with the wiiu classic/pro or whatever other controller is gonna be out than the default wiiu controller?

Is it racist that I just want to use a bow with a peco hat at all times?

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Golgozor posted:

Can somebody with a wiiu tell me if they thing it will be more comfortable playing this game with the wiiu classic/pro or whatever other controller is gonna be out than the default wiiu controller?

I've been playing the crap out of zombiiu with the pad, and its been fine. So you may as well give that a try, and be able to do hud stuff on there.

If you really want a more traditional controller you really can't go wrong with a classic controller pro, or the new wireless classic controller if you really don't want to be tied to a Wii remote and don't mind spending the extra.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
I've noticed a really good amount of hype for MH3U these past two weeks, what do you guys think the sales will be like the first two weeks? (Collectively, for both WiiU and 3DS)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does the clock trick for charm tables work on the Wii U version?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Quropeco is the best. My first time playing Monster Hunter was with Tri, so this was the second monster I ever fought! On my first hunt for him he started making the Great Jaggi calls and I was rather disappointed by this. I had thought they put all this detail and care into monster and armor design for them to recycle the sound! What lazy jerks!

Then a Great Jaggi hipchecked me from off screen.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Unlucky7 posted:

Does the clock trick for charm tables work on the Wii U version?

There was a post on GameFAQs saying it did for the Wii U US Version. Not sure if there's a more reliable source corroborating that, though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

bluegoon posted:

I've noticed a really good amount of hype for MH3U these past two weeks, what do you guys think the sales will be like the first two weeks? (Collectively, for both WiiU and 3DS)

Terrible, because MH is still a niche franchise and there is no TV ad campaign for it (in the states). For comparison, Fire Emblem, a game with similar demographics, only sold 180k last month retail/digital combined.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

bluegoon posted:

Didn't Tri sell over a million copies on the Wii? It goes without saying that it took advantage of a much larger install base, but i'm going to be optimistic and say 100k sales for the month for Wii U as that's probably close to 5% of the install base. For the 3DS i'll guess 150k for this month.

Edit: NA estimate only.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

bluegoon posted:

If the gamestop guy I talked to is right about the stock for the game, unless digital sales explode, then I think the numbers will be poo poo. He was straight up expecting stock issues as bad as fire emblem had last month.

It's a drat shame too with the lack of marketing, the game only has a chance to fly through word of mouth. I think it's safe to say Capcom of America is god awful at marketing anything, they just hope the brand name will carry them far.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

i am tim! posted:

Quropeco is the best. My first time playing Monster Hunter was with Tri, so this was the second monster I ever fought! On my first hunt for him he started making the Great Jaggi calls and I was rather disappointed by this. I had thought they put all this detail and care into monster and armor design for them to recycle the sound! What lazy jerks!

Then a Great Jaggi hipchecked me from off screen.

Having him call in Great Jaggi and having the Great Jaggi call in a bunch of little Jaggis is a really fun mess.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

elf help book posted:

Having him call in Great Jaggi and having the Great Jaggi call in a bunch of little Jaggis is a really fun mess.

Even better when you have a high level weapon and a single swing hits all the monsters and sends them flying into the wall.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Golgozor posted:

I didn't like the new button layout on the Wii U Pro Controller. I imagine that I would have gotten used to it eventually, but I switched to Wii U Gamepad and it has been fine.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I browsed the OP and didn't see an answer so I hope I'm asking this in the right place. I don't own a 3DS or a WiiU so whats the best playstation title for my to get? I have Freedom Unite which is pretty good, but I thought portable 3rd is playable on PS3 with some sort of english patch? I did some googling and it looks like the only way to get portable 3rd is to import, but I still don't know where to find said english patch. Any help or direction is really appreciated. I just wanna play a really fun monster hunter game. :(

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Amazon just delivered both copies of the game. I've never received anything early from them. Awesome.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm reading the weapon move lists on the wikia, and it keeps mentioning moves that use the Select button in the PSP version. Do those simply not exist at all in MH3U, I don't remember seeing them on any of the in-game manual movelists.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon
Considering jumping in and my girlfriend is also interested but both of us are not down with the claw control and neither wants to be relegated to the 3ds. Is the only way to co-op with another person in the same room on console is if we buy a second Wii U?

Alternatively how good is the cancerous growth circle pad pro for XL? Have to import it right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sylpher posted:

Considering jumping in and my girlfriend is also interested but both of us are not down with the claw control and neither wants to be relegated to the 3ds. Is the only way to co-op with another person in the same room on console is if we buy a second Wii U?

As long as you can get online with both of them you can just start a lobby on one and join it on the other. I'm pretty sure there's no offline solution though, if that's an issue.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Countblanc posted:

As long as you can get online with both of them you can just start a lobby on one and join it on the other. I'm pretty sure there's no offline solution though, if that's an issue.

The IGN review implied you could play local with a 3DS on the wiiU and the TV would be a showcase for your battle and the person on wiiU would just use the pad.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I can't believe they didn't change the font in the 3DS version. Holy poo poo.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

dvorak posted:

I can't believe they didn't change the font in the 3DS version. Holy poo poo.

It looks a lot better if you turn 3D on, even at the lowest setting it can be without being off entirely.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Golgozor posted:

Never. :colbert:

(Unless you get me the console)

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looking at my amazon orders list and my copies still haven't shipped. It says they'll be here by 8:00pm tomorrow night. They'll get here, right? Right? :qq:

Joking aside, I think there's a big amazon warehouse in southern California near me, so it might make it in time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Speedboat Jones posted:

Looking at my amazon orders list and my copies still haven't shipped. It says they'll be here by 8:00pm tomorrow night. They'll get here, right? Right? :qq:

Joking aside, I think there's a big amazon warehouse in southern California near me, so it might make it in time.

Yeah I get stuff same day shipped to me all the time from Amazon, I've even used prime to get 2 Day shipping for free at 2AM pass out around 4-6AM and wake up at 2PM with the item at my door. The shipping center isn't even horribly close to me but the timing works out that trucks drive from there to distribution centers along the way towards my house. Its about a 2 hour drive to the town its in from my house. Amazon knows how fast they can get poo poo to you they have a deal with UPS and it will get there or you will get some compensation (normally a partial refund) You'll have to not get it by 11:59PM for that to actually come into effect, but if it does miss the date you can buy retail and they wont charge you anything for it (Its probably better to just take the $20 in credit or whatever for it being a day late, even if you did buy retail after you can probably resell the game for more then the difference).

Hell if retail copies of MH are low you might be able to sell any copy of the game for a profit.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Speedboat Jones posted:

Amazon has always been really consistent for me with release date delivery, for what it's worth. And yeah, they always ship it out on the day before and it always feels like it's going to be late but nope, evidently they know what they're doing. I wouldn't worry about it.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Countblanc posted:

I'm reading the weapon move lists on the wikia, and it keeps mentioning moves that use the Select button in the PSP version. Do those simply not exist at all in MH3U, I don't remember seeing them on any of the in-game manual movelists.

They exist in the Wii U Version, at least. The + button will kick with the great sword, charge with the lance, spin with the sword and shield, etc. The moves can also be done by pressing "Special Attack" on the touchscreen, and some of them have also been giving alternate controls (i.e. R + X + A = charge with lance).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pixaal posted:

The IGN review implied you could play local with a 3DS on the wiiU and the TV would be a showcase for your battle and the person on wiiU would just use the pad.

A showcase? I'm at work and can't access the review, but what the hell does that mean? I though that one person just gets the TV/pad and the other gets the 3DS.

Speedboat Jones posted:

Same here, and also the $20 off both copies automatically applied (thanks for the heads up!), but Amazon has never failed me with release-day shipping.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 18, 2013

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I reserved a copy of the 3ds version at Gamestop and the guy who rang me up said I should show around 10pm to "finalize the transaction" and get my game right at midnight instead of waiting in line at midnight or whatever. He was fairly insistent about it.

Is it reasonable to assume that's bullshit and just show up around 11:45? The store is in the middle of a pretty large city and the last bus runs around 12:30.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sire Oblivion posted:

A showcase? I'm at work and can't access the review, but what the hell does that mean? I though that one person just gets the TV/pad and the other gets the 3DS.

The way It looked in the review they had a few 3DS and a wiiU person using the game pad and the TV just kinda did an Auto Camera for an HD view of the fight (that no one would look at). It would be cool for a group of people watching or if you streamed the TV view I guess. I'm just using the exact words they used in the video.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So what's the order on the first few monsters you fight in the single player campaign? I thought they ramped things up nicely for beginners in Tri with Great Jaggi > Queropeco > Royal Ludroth and Barroth acting as the first serious challenge.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Republicans posted:

So what's the order on the first few monsters you fight in the single player campaign? I thought they ramped things up nicely for beginners in Tri with Great Jaggi > Queropeco > Royal Ludroth and Barroth acting as the first serious challenge.

If the progression is similar to P3rd, the new pelagus type monsters get sprinkled in there too since they're nice introductions to some different kinds of attacks. So expect to see Lagombi, Arzuros, and Volvidon in the beginning tiers as well. Barroth will still be the first brick wall any new player will run up against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Republicans posted:

They added Arzuros and G. Wroggi fights, and instead of Barroth being the next urgent (was it a Barroth in Tri?) it's Gobul instead. But Barroth is a key quest leading up to Gobul, so idk.

• Locked thread